http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 04:09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPOILER TAG NOT WORKING BE CAREFUL Fallout 3 [Hints and Spoilers thread]  (Read 20549 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 10:34:11 PM »

Just another note that hopefully Kathode sees.  Add me to the list of people that have inadvertently stumbled on elements of the main story way ahead of when I'm supposed to.  I've only completed GNR but just stumbled upon Tranquility.  I stopped before I went too far so I didn't mess anything up, but I wish there was some mechanism in the game that kept you from hitting stuff early and potentially causing issues.

Edit: I should add that the game apparently recognizes when you do this to some degree by adding dialogue options to the earlier person.  So, the guy at GNR now shows a dialogue option to say that I already know where my father went, I guess allowing me to not do what he wanted me to do.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:16:29 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 12:17:40 AM »

Question regarding Animal Friend.  If you have level 2 of this perk, do the animals follow you around like a pet, or do they just help out if you happen to be near them?  I found a trader that had a Yao Guai as a pet.  If it's like that, I'm all over it.  If it's just that they will help if you happen near them while fighting something else, I'd rather not waste my perks.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 30, 2008, 10:06:02 PM

Well, I just repaired the combat shotgun and the damage jumped back up 6 points.  It wasn't that low on condition though, at least not that I could tell.  Hopefully it works better.

If you can get the schematic for the Rail gun I highly recommend it.  I am taking out super mutants in 1-2 headshots, the big mutant freaks of nature take 4 shots.  There is something very exhilarating about seeing a railroad spike take off a guys head and spike it to a wall.  If you catch someone by a wall you can spike them to it supposedly even if it doesn't kill them.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 01:00:45 AM »

I found Dogmeat and told him to find me something and he left and never came back frown
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:13 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 31, 2008, 01:00:45 AM

I found Dogmeat and told him to find me something and he left and never came back frown

I guess he found a better master smile

I think it just takes time for him to come back.

BTW if you don't have a spare and really need to repair something, you can do it with the help of some NPCs (Moira in Megaton for example). You'll have to pay some serious cash though.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2008, 01:40:23 AM »

BTW about Dogmeat. Does anyone else find that the damn dog dies way too often? I found him when I was lvl 10 and he dies in pretty much every serious firefight, which really sucks because it forces me to reload, something that I haven't done before I found him. Well almost. smile

He should get knocked out, not die.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2008, 01:49:57 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 31, 2008, 01:40:23 AM

BTW about Dogmeat. Does anyone else find that the damn dog dies way too often? I found him when I was lvl 10 and he dies in pretty much every serious firefight, which really sucks because it forces me to reload, something that I haven't done before I found him. Well almost. smile

Agreed.  I often end up telling him to stay put now.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2008, 01:52:05 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 31, 2008, 01:38:13 AM

BTW if you don't have a spare and really need to repair something, you can do it with the help of some NPCs (Moira in Megaton for example). You'll have to pay some serious cash though.

It's been a few days in game, don't think he's coming back frown
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2008, 02:55:55 AM »

That's the way he was in the original game as well, though.  At a certain point it's almost impossible to keep a dog alive when you are facing enemies with energy weapons and stuff like that. 

I haven't found him, but I would hope that they made him easy enough to get early that you could use him at lower levels.  At this point I'm not sure if I'll take him, as I'm already level 8.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008, 03:25:16 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 31, 2008, 02:55:55 AM

That's the way he was in the original game as well, though.  At a certain point it's almost impossible to keep a dog alive when you are facing enemies with energy weapons and stuff like that. 

I haven't found him, but I would hope that they made him easy enough to get early that you could use him at lower levels.  At this point I'm not sure if I'll take him, as I'm already level 8.

I could have had him at around level 4, but I walked right by where he was and didn't investigate the area.  I was back through the area at level 9 and found him then.  He does decent damage but gets ganged up on fast.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2008, 03:49:02 AM »

My dog got bitch smacked twice at GNR by you know what.  Had to reload both times, third time I told it to just wait for me at Vault 101.  Not sure if I'm going to bother retrieving him.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 03:53:30 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 31, 2008, 03:49:02 AM

My dog got bitch smacked twice at GNR by you know what.  Had to reload both times, third time I told it to just wait for me at Vault 101.  Not sure if I'm going to bother retrieving him.

I am lvl 10 and have yet to make it to GNR, keep getting lost when trying to make it there and jumped by a bunch of Super Mutants with miniguns and rocket launchers.  So I have been wandering the wastes...did Oasis which was pretty darn cool, and have also been working on the quest from Big Town ( I believe this is the name of it, have to rescue folks from a bunch of Super Mutants holed up in a Jail.)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2008, 04:05:24 AM »

Yeah, I'm playing a nice scoundrel.  I do good things for money, but I just didn't have the heart to ask anything from those folks.

As a warning, I hit a significant bug with Bigtown at the end of the mission, it wasn't game stopping, but it prevented the conclusion of that arc.

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Red presents you with the choice on how to stop future raids against Bigtown, if you have a high science skill you can say you'll train them to maintain robot defenders for the town.  It then expects you to go outside and "show" them how to maintain a robot by doing it yourself.  However, the robot you need to work in never spawns outside, and thus it never progresses past that point.

Use the Small Arms option or something else.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2008, 04:25:21 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 31, 2008, 04:05:24 AM

Yeah, I'm playing a nice scoundrel.  I do good things for money, but I just didn't have the heart to ask anything from those folks.

As a warning, I hit a significant bug with Bigtown at the end of the mission, it wasn't game stopping, but it prevented the conclusion of that arc.

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Red presents you with the choice on how to stop future raids against Bigtown, if you have a high science skill you can say you'll train them to maintain robot defenders for the town.  It then expects you to go outside and "show" them how to maintain a robot by doing it yourself.  However, the robot you need to work in never spawns outside, and thus it never progresses past that point.

Use the Small Arms option or something else.

Thanks for the heads up on that Turtle.  I just found Red and she told me about Shorty being taken to the kitchen, but had to save and head out to work at that point.

My science skill is around 50, but my speech and small arms are both around 80 so will likely use either of those if I can.  Is there an arc to do something about the slavers as well?
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 31, 2008, 01:52:05 AM

Quote from: StriderGG on October 31, 2008, 01:38:13 AM

It's been a few days in game, don't think he's coming back frown

Oh, Hark, I just thought of something. Try checking near Vault 101. Maybe you misclicked and sent him there instead.

Yeah, I guess, I am going to be using that dog to scavenge stuff for me. It gets annoying trying to keep him alive. He is nice as an earlier alarm though with his growling when enemies are nearby.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 06:39:07 AM »

I've checked there as well frown
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 06:40:56 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 31, 2008, 06:39:07 AM

I've checked there as well frown

I encountered a bug with him earlier today.  Told him to go scavenge and he got stuck in the geometry it seemed.  I did some exploring and happened to come back and saw him still there.  I talked to him and was able to tell him to stop looking for a weapon, and he kind of jumped around a bit then started following me again.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 30, 2008, 10:17:35 PM

Here's a tip I think is pretty valuable.

Just before you leave the vault, do NOT click on the exit gate, but rather create a saved-game right there in the natural tunnel leading out of the vault BEFORE you click on the exit gate.

Clicking on the exit gate will give you the opportunity to completely re-do your character. Thus if you want to start over and skip the whole vault intro stuff, but just want to try a new char. build, you can just load that save.

The game automatically creates that save for you.  Not an autosave, it automatically creates a real save.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »

I leave dogmeat to guard my house in megaton.  Just took him there and told him to stay.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 31, 2008, 12:23:29 AM

Quote from: Turtle on October 30, 2008, 10:06:02 PM

Well, I just repaired the combat shotgun and the damage jumped back up 6 points.  It wasn't that low on condition though, at least not that I could tell.  Hopefully it works better.

If you can get the schematic for the Rail gun I highly recommend it.  I am taking out super mutants in 1-2 headshots, the big mutant freaks of nature take 4 shots.  There is something very exhilarating about seeing a railroad spike take off a guys head and spike it to a wall.  If you catch someone by a wall you can spike them to it supposedly even if it doesn't kill them.

i need to find those schematics.  sounds like great fun and i already have most of the parts and a good supply of rails too. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »

About the Rail Gun - where do you get it? Is it a random find, or part of the 'story' quests?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »

Hmmm, I found mine in the supermarket at the beginning of the Wasteland Survivor Guide quests? I had to unlock the door to the pharmacy, and it was sitting on one of the shelves with some rail ammo.

Its interesting how much of this game is randomized. I did a test and started a new character like 10 different times using the "Exit Before the Gate" trick. Upon exiting, I ran straight north to a barn that has a mini-nuke inside.

3 of the 10 times, I got attacked by Mercenaries, twice I found a guy who wanted water, once I found some dead chinese soldiers, once had some escaped slaves fighting slavers, and the others had some rebellious brotherhood of steel guys standing there.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on October 31, 2008, 08:43:32 PM

Hmmm, I found mine in the supermarket at the beginning of the Wasteland Survivor Guide quests? I had to unlock the door to the pharmacy, and it was sitting on one of the shelves with some rail ammo.

Note to self - head back there again once I get out of work and take a look. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2008, 09:53:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 31, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

About the Rail Gun - where do you get it? Is it a random find, or part of the 'story' quests?

I found my schematic in some power substation, want to say it was up north when I was heading to Oasis I stumbled upon it.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2008, 10:09:41 PM »

Oh I think its been said repair is important.  A little trick I figured out.  I go to a vendor and have them repair items then with my doubles I repair them again for a bigger bump.  IE have the vendor repair two shotguns then take one shotgun and repair the other myself for a bigger bump.

I have also bought items from a vendor then had the vendor repair that item.  If I have one already I again turn around and repair one item with the just purchased/repaired one.

For instance I have recon armor (+5 stealth).  Moira had recon armor for sale so I buy it have her repair it and mine; then I turn around and used the one I just bought to repair mine again for a bigger bump.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2008, 06:15:50 AM »

Will Paralyzing Palm work with a Powerfist?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2008, 07:12:21 AM »

If you get multiples of some schematics, it'll improve that schematic into a higher powered version.  I have version 2 of the melee weapon you can make.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 01, 2008, 07:12:21 AM

If you get multiples of some schematics, it'll improve that schematic into a higher powered version.  I have version 2 of the melee weapon you can make.

Oh man, I didn't know this....now I need to find more copies of the Railway Gun schematic!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2008, 07:56:04 AM »

I had an interesting encounter, met up with some woman who had a bomb strapped to her.  I didn't know what was going on and with here running all over the place I couldn't catch up to her to disarm it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »

I know a lot of people say that repair is important, but I haven't even figured out how to repair my own equipment. How do I do it? I know that I need duplicates of the same equipment to do so, but I don't know how to actually start repairing anything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »

Go to the inventory screen for either weapons or apparel.  Select the item you want to repair and hit R.  In general your interactivity options for anything in popboy will be near the upper right.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2008, 01:16:34 PM »

Like turtle said hit R on the item you want to repair in the inventory screen.  If you have an item that can be sued to repair it it bring s up another screen and you click the item to use it to repair.  You will see what you will gain on the item before you repair it.

BTW Any Raider armor can be used to repair ANY other Raider armor.  This is a good way to bump up value and cut down on stuff you carry.

On the inventory tab on the upper right is the word repair if its highlighted then you can repair that item as you have an extra if its not highlighted you do not have what you need to repair it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2008, 01:51:34 PM »

How does that work? Do you just see a 'version 2' pop up on vendors? Or does it just automagically happen once you find a second schematic?

I found the melee weapon you're talking about (some unpronounceable word that starts with S), and MAN is it a lot of fun. Hurts, too, even with my crappy melee skill.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 01, 2008, 01:51:34 PM

How does that work? Do you just see a 'version 2' pop up on vendors? Or does it just automagically happen once you find a second schematic?

Yeah if you find another schematic it automatically "combines" with your first one.  You get a message like "Your schematic for this weapon has been upgraded" or something along those lines. 

(some unpronounceable word that starts with S)
What?  Who doesn't love shishkebabs?

drool
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:28:49 PM by kathode » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »

I was a bit disappointed that there was no custom 'unarmed' weapon frown

Anyway,  not knowing if Paralyzing Fist works with the powerfist or not, I started fighting completely barehanded.  I'm still one shotting most mobs and the ones that I don't are quickly dispatched.  What a powerhouse.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

I did a brief search for help on lockpicking, but didn't find much. Can anyone give a pointer on how to do this? I have about 32 pts in that skill, but even on "easy" locks, all I do is immediately break the bobby pin. I'd prefer an option for binary pass/fail on locks, I don't care for these dexterity types. (but of course my opinion may change once I learn wth I'm doing smile)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2008, 09:06:28 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 01, 2008, 08:59:06 PM

I did a brief search for help on lockpicking, but didn't find much. Can anyone give a pointer on how to do this? I have about 32 pts in that skill, but even on "easy" locks, all I do is immediately break the bobby pin. I'd prefer an option for binary pass/fail on locks, I don't care for these dexterity types. (but of course my opinion may change once I learn wth I'm doing smile)

on page 1 of this thread.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,29861.msg477917.html#msg477917
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2008, 09:06:55 PM »

Just a tip for people who have reached GNR and also did some exploring southwest of Megaton.

Spoiler for Hiden:
After GNR, there will no doubt be some dead brotherhood soldiers lying around.  Grab their power armor and helmet.

Then, if you haven't already, look for a place called Fort Indepenance southwest of Megaton.  You'll meet a group there that takes in high tech items for trade for specific rewards like a lot of 556 ammo, stimpacks, rad-away, etc...  I got myself quite a bit of ammo and chems by using fast travel and taking the leftover armor to them.

Also, is there any extra descriptions for items, even weapons?  I'm trying to find info like weapon accuracy, or even flavor text for all the items.  For example, is the normal assault rifle more accurate than the Chinese assault rifle, and how much does condition affect that accuracy?  The Chinese rifle does more damage, but I find enough normal assault rifles to keep one in pretty high repair so it's only a few points below the chinese assault rifle in damage.  If the normal assault rifle is more accurate overall, I may switch back to it because it's more common and inexpensive to keep in repair.

Did you look at the game's help file on lockpicking?  I find it incredibly easy and have a huge stockpile of pins.  Just move the pin around using the mouse, when you think it's in the right position, press any of the movement keys to try and turn the lock.  Just be ready to release the movement key as soon as the lock stops.  If the pin is off position, the lock will stop moving, at that point if you keep the movement key depressed you'll break the pin so be ready for it.  How far the lock moves before stopping is relative to how far off the pin position is.  If the lock barely turns, move the pin farther away from the previous position, if it turns a lot before stopping, you can move it just a little.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:34 PM »

I'm going to say that accuracy is dependant solely on your skill in that given weapon. more skill=more accuracy. with the sniper perk and 100 into small arms its very rarely that my headshots miss.

that's also how i lockpick lol. moving the pin first and then trying the screw driver. more of trail and error than anything really. i really wish the doors werent skill dependant but just really hard to pick. like you could attempt to pick any door. I probably won't be able to continue in vault 106 because my lock pick skill is low.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 01, 2008, 09:06:55 PM

For example, is the normal assault rifle more accurate than the Chinese assault rifle, and how much does condition affect that accuracy?  The Chinese rifle does more damage, but I find enough normal assault rifles to keep one in pretty high repair so it's only a few points below the chinese assault rifle in damage.  If the normal assault rifle is more accurate overall, I may switch back to it because it's more common and inexpensive to keep in repair.

You do find a lot more regular assault rifles, but the Chinese Assault Rifle is more powerful.  I have 100 in small guns, and at the max amount I can repair (repair on my guy is around 65), the assault rifle damage is 35, and the chinese assault rifle is 45 damage.  Pretty significant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: