http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPOILER TAG NOT WORKING BE CAREFUL Fallout 3 [Hints and Spoilers thread]  (Read 20555 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »

Now that we're all playing (or will be in 4 hours and 4 minutes...) here's a separate thread to do more than talk about how awesome the game is.

Need help? Got a question? Ask it here.

Small title edit to warn users.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:57:55 PM by farley2k » Logged

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »

My suggestion thus far would be 'focus on small arms and sell your laser weapons and ammo'.  There is little I can't handle with my 10mm SMG or my Combat Shotgun. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

There is one thing I'd like to know about this game(I guess the whole Fallout series) can you seriously gimp your character by bad placement of skill, perks, and other point allocation?

I'm only lv 4 and I've been putting points into: Small guns, repair, and medicine. There are other allocations but I can't remember at the moment.

I don't mind flying by the seat of my pants to a degree..but I don't want to get 40 hours into the game and realize some of the content is too hard to work through..or miss some really cool stuff.

Danke.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:39:13 PM »

Well, as the game is heavily combat based, I do think you can get in trouble if you don't focus on at least one weapon. In the older games, you could get away without killing anybody (short of like 2 people), but frankly I haven't tried talking to the local bandits yet to see if I could get out of gunning them all down.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »

I'm trying out a talking character that can also hack and repair, so I tagged Speech, Repair and Science. I'll tell you that it is really hard when I get into some of the wasteland encounters. I think if you do want to see all the dialogue with a talker with low combat skills, make sure you have good sneaking.
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »

Has anyone tried an unarmed character? I tagged lockpick, speech, and unarmed and hope I can punch/or talk my way through most encounters. I have had to pull out the pistol for some ranged fights, but I have been holding my own with spiked knuckles. I am just hoping this build works for more challenging areas. I'm hoping that I come across a power fist.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »

I'm unarmed, melee and sneak.  I only use unarmed except in extreme situations. (and those get big guns smile )

Works fine so far, I take a fair amount of damage though.

Question about one of the later steps of Wasteland Survival Guide
Spoiler for Hiden:
Where do I find the password/access code to reprogram the mainframe at RobCo if I don't have high enough science?  Most of the quests in this chain have workarounds if you are lacking the skill so i figure this one probably does as well
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »

Quote from: dkass on October 29, 2008, 07:27:59 PM

Has anyone tried an unarmed character? I tagged lockpick, speech, and unarmed and hope I can punch/or talk my way through most encounters. I have had to pull out the pistol for some ranged fights, but I have been holding my own with spiked knuckles. I am just hoping this build works for more challenging areas. I'm hoping that I come across a power fist.

Unarmed is workable, but like in the original games it's hard to have that as your only tagged combat skill, mainly because you are going to get hit at range until you get close enough to do anything. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 29, 2008, 07:53:06 PM

Question about one of the later steps of Wasteland Survival Guide
Spoiler for Hiden:
Where do I find the password/access code to reprogram the mainframe at RobCo if I don't have high enough science?  Most of the quests in this chain have workarounds if you are lacking the skill so i figure this one probably does as well

Spoiler for Hiden:
No workaround for this one.  The widget goes into the mainframe without a skill check, and that completes the main objective.  To complete the optional objective, you need to have the necessary science skill to access that terminal.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »

I've seen some confusion about the minigames on various boards, so thought I would make a Minigames for Dummies post smile

Hacking -

Hacking is a simple game of guess-the-password, where you are given more information with each guess.  I think the simplest way to illustrate it is with a hypothetical example.

Let's say that the password to the terminal is CAT.  So you go to hack the terminal and you're looking at the memory dump, and you start to pick out words.  You pick out the word BAT.

CAT
BAT

The system tells you that you have two letters correct.  These correspond to to the A and the T in both words.  You don't know which letters at the time though.  But you know that two of the letters in BAT match the actual password, in terms of the actual letters and their positions in the word (i.e. if there was a word ATC, that would return zero correct letters).  Let's say next, you pick out the word CAR. 

CAT
CAR

The system will again tell you that you have two correct letters, corresponding to the C and the A.  You now should be able to combine these two pieces of information and see that the password is CAT.  Alternatively, you can just use the process of elimination and count how many letters are lined up in each word, and narrow the choices down that way.  You would know a word like CUP is not the password, since it does not have two letters that match CAR or BAT.

Pro-tips! 
-Look for classes of words with common endings, such as gerunds (-ing words) or -tion words.  If you pick a word that ends with -ing and the system says only one letter is matching, then you can immediately throw out all other gerunds in play.  Or vice versa.

-Look for any kind of enclosed brackets.  Any kind of symbols like [ ] or { } on the same line, regardless of what comes in between.  Selecting these has a range of benefits, from removing dud passwords to giving you more attempts.

Lockpicking -

There is a sweet spot along the rotation of the bobby pin that you are trying to find. If you have the bobby pin in that sweet spot, then when you turn the screwdriver, the lock will open.

The closer you are to the sweet spot, the more you will be able to turn the screwdriver. So if you try the screwdriver and the lock barely turns at all, you know you need to move the bobby pin a large distance and try again. If you can turn the screwdriver almost all of the way, then you are close, and just need to make a small correction to the left or right, and see if you can turn the screwdriver more or less.

However, when you turn the screwdriver and it stops, you are applying pressure to the bobby pin. Pins can only take so much pressure before they break.

Hope that helps make it clearer.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 11:35:36 PM »

Once you reach GNR you can go on a hospital raid. It's called our lady peace or something like that. careful as its loaded with super mutants and brutes. i've gotten so much ammo and stim packs so far. almost died when 4 jumped me and i got stuck in a room with no way out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:34 PM »

In Megaton, you can purchase blueprints to make a reverse vacuum machine or something that takes most of the junk you find lying around the wasteland (broken cups, dishes, old money, etc). Not only does it look funny as hell to fire (I killed you with a coffee can!) the ammo that misses is completely reusable. I think the ammo that hits is also reusable, but don't quote me on that.

Protip: once you create the weapon, arm it and reload it to choose what ammo you want loaded.

Kathode - I love the lockpicking bit in this game. It's pretty easy, and can generally be accomplished easily, but still fun to do. Same with the hacking. Reminds me of the puzzle boxes from Betrayal of Krondor (anybody remember that old DOS game?)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:02:25 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 29, 2008, 10:34:00 PM

I've seen some confusion about the minigames on various boards, so thought I would make a Minigames for Dummies post smile

Hacking -

Hacking is a simple game of guess-the-password, where you are given more information with each guess.  I think the simplest way to illustrate it is with a hypothetical example.

Just say it's like the game Mastermind. slywink

Oh, and please find some way to give a raise to whoever was responsible for the presentation of the hacking interface.  I know I can skip past the whole intro any time I want, but I love the authenticity so much I'm pretty sure I'll be watching it every time.  Love it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 04:07:52 AM »

SUPER helpful.  Thank you.

gellar
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 05:05:43 AM »

where do i train for the powersuit?
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 05:12:10 AM »

IMO one of the most useful skills is Repair - everything degrades when used (weapons, armor) and it's nice being able to repair (and it sucks not being able to) smile

Sneak is also very nice, too bad I don't have it that high, but when it works it's awesome.

Don't bother raising Strength (to be able to carry more) if it doesn't fit your char. I left it at the default 5, picked up Strong Back perk (+50 to the weight you can carry) and can carry 250 lbs, which (so far) is a lot.

And don't forget that you can assign weapons (and I guess armor pieces) to hotkeys 1-8. Very useful.

I also have a question. Are various enemies resistant to some weapons? Like those crab thingies seem to be resistant to shotgun, but maybe I am just seeing things.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 05:13:27 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 30, 2008, 05:05:43 AM

Some dude inside the CNR building told me that I have to go to Citadel to do that. No idea where it is yet.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 05:25:34 AM »

The crab things are just armor plated.  The only soft spot they have are the eyes so always aim for them.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 06:52:40 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 30, 2008, 05:13:27 AM

Some dude inside the CNR building told me that I have to go to Citadel to do that. No idea where it is yet.

google-fu tells me the citadel is the pentagon. just gotta find it. almost done with the whole survival book thing. one last task. this better have been worth it!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 30, 2008, 05:13:27 AM

I've been there and apparently it isn't as simple as showing up.  They refuse to let you in.   I have the strat guide but haven't figured out what you have to do and I guess it's possible you need to advance the story to a certain point anyway.

Too bad because I already have a full suit in good condition ready to go.  Guess I need to stash it at home for now.   icon_biggrin

Edit: Someone told me it does indeed require the main story to be advanced to a certain point.  So no "Power Armor in 10 minutes" cheating in this Fallout game.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:59:04 AM by Sarkus » Logged

- American Dad
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 11:14:52 AM »

What do you need to train for on the power armor?  I got a set from a fallen brother and once I repaired it I was able to wear it and I got the bonuses. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2008, 04:02:25 AM

Oh, and please find some way to give a raise to whoever was responsible for the presentation of the hacking interface.  I know I can skip past the whole intro any time I want, but I love the authenticity so much I'm pretty sure I'll be watching it every time.  Love it.

Yes, I have to say that the presentation of both the lockpicking and hacking is superlative.  Unlike games like Bioshock and the like, hacking actually feels a bit more plausible in terms of presentation. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 03:01:30 PM »

power armor drops must happen pretty commonly:  i've found one outside megaton, near the collapsed overpass.

i saw it go down too, but i didn't know anyone bought it until i crossed over and found the carnage. 1 dead deathclaw, 1 dead sister of the outcasts and 1 dead merchant (drat on this one, i was going to sell him the bandit stuff i had collected)

too bad i'm loaded up to the gils and now need to truck it all back to megaton (or find a better stash i suppose.)  maybe the junkie's house?

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »

The system will again tell you that you have two correct letters, corresponding to the C and the A.  You now should be able to combine these two pieces of information and see that the password is CAT. 

Don't listen to him!  The password is BAR!
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 30, 2008, 01:53:19 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2008, 04:02:25 AM

Yes, I have to say that the presentation of both the lockpicking and hacking is superlative.  Unlike games like Bioshock and the like, hacking actually feels a bit more plausible in terms of presentation. 

I love lockpicking and kind of like hacking presentations. I just wish they didn't make us hunt for the brackets - it's not hard or fun to do, just time consuming. They introduce a stupid pixel hunting mechanic into what's supposed to be a thinking mini-game.

Besides, you start brackets-hunting after you used up 3 out of 4 guesses and all those "Dud has been removed" messages push your 3 guesses off the screen. Since they didn't invent scrollbars in their version of 2077, you have to remember your guesses (and their results) and it's annoying.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 30, 2008, 03:22:03 PM

Besides, you start brackets-hunting after you used up 3 out of 4 guesses and all those "Dud has been removed" messages push your 3 guesses off the screen. Since they didn't invent scrollbars in their version of 2077, you have to remember your guesses (and their results) and it's annoying.

You're supposed to bracket hunt first ya ninny. biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »

Anyone done Oasis yet?

I chose to blow up Harolds heart..but could have also slowed it down or strengthened it, and I am curious as to what the long term outcome would have been from the other two.  Blowing it up gave me a barkskin perk for +5% DR.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 30, 2008, 03:39:16 PM

Quote from: StriderGG on October 30, 2008, 03:22:03 PM

You're supposed to bracket hunt first ya ninny. biggrin

Nope, because in this case you are just wasting the "Your attempts have been replenished" prize you get for bracket hunting.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 30, 2008, 11:14:52 AM

What do you need to train for on the power armor?  I got a set from a fallen brother and once I repaired it I was able to wear it and I got the bonuses. 

The Brotherhood of Steel and the fallen brothers are different factions.  It's possible that the suits are different as well, though I'm not sure at this point.  I would hope the "training" requirement has some benefit over your set.

- American Dad
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »

without turning up another thread on this, i'm kind of curious how everyone is building their character up.  

i went S4 P7 E5 C6 I6 A7 L5 with Small arms, repair and lockpicking as my tagged skills and am building up for a conventional small arms user, with enhanced criticals and a few other perks for survivalist.  i'll have the list up later, but i need a clarification.  19 perk points or 20?  i count 19 as you don't get one for level 1, but knowing this for a fact will help.  

i need to check my list at home as i have forgotten which ones i scrapped and have more perks than i have points.  

also, does dogmeat require the animal friend perk to befriend?  that makes a huge difference to me and i respec'ed my character with that perk in mind.  arkon answered this, and you do not need it.  i think i have a good and viable build now.

my perk plan.  designed partly for my main combat profession and the benefits of increased skill points which will go into my secondaries, sneak and possibly energy weapons.  depending on how good the non-powered armor is, i might try to stay out of it and just keep my distance.  there's 9 other perks that could be useful or fun, but this is what i have in mind right now.

Gun Nut    Level 2, IN 4, AG 4    3
Thief    Level 2, AG 4, PE 4    3
Educated    Level 4, IN 4    1
Comprehension    Level 4, IN 4    1
Lead Belly    Level 6, EN 5    1
Gunslinger    Level 6    1
Commando    Level 8    1
Scrounger    Level 8, LK 5    1
Finesse    Level 10    1
Animal Friend    Level 10, CH 6    1
Silent Running    Level 12, AG 6, Sneak 50    1
Sniper    Level 12, AG 6, PE 6    1
Action Boy (Girl)     Level 16, AG 6    1
Better Criticals    Level 16, PE 6, LK 6    1
Grim Reaper's Sprint    Level 20    1
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:38:14 PM by Caine » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 30, 2008, 07:26:48 PM

also, does dogmeat require the animal friend perk to befriend?  that makes a huge difference to me and i respec'ed my character with that perk in mind.

Somebody else here answered that question already - the answer is no. You just have to find him.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 08:06:12 PM »

Anyone know of a reliable place to find a freaking pressure cooker?  I got the schematic finally for the rail gun, but I am lacking a pressure cooker to be able to make it.  I have looked through tons of houses with no luck so far.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »

Pretty sure I saw a pressure cooker searching the three houses in "minefield".  I made the shihskebab weapon today.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »

Quote from: drifter on October 30, 2008, 08:40:33 PM

Pretty sure I saw a pressure cooker searching the three houses in "minefield".  I made the shihskebab weapon today.

Thanks, sure enough there was one in the main house in minefield.  Made the railway gun....best weapon in a game ever!  Shot a super mutant in the head with it, the head came off...I found it attached to the side of a building some 1000 yards away I would guess.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »

I'm at level 10 and just barely hit GNR.  I'm at the point where the ample weaponry I'm carrying is really doing inconsistent damage and I may need to find some new weapons.  This was especially apparent when the feral ghouls I was fighting before took only one headshot from the combat shotgun at point blank in VATS would kill a ghoul, now it's 2-3.  It wouldn't be so bad if not for facing a more creatures at once, and also taking a lot more damage at once.

I really need to lay off the stims and start making use of water more, then dealing with the rads.  The way it's been going, even with careful use of cover, I burn through stims pretty quickly.  I have a low strength and endurance, mainly charisma and intelligence.  I think I'll start adding more points into sneak and agility as I don't have the stats for a stand up fight, and I can't keep carrying all this extra weaponry.  I figure now is a good a time as any to move towards being sneaky and getting crits with the sniper rifle, that should cut down on the damage I take.

I carry a lead pipe, scoped 44 magnum, 10mm SMG, Chinese assault rifle, combat shotgun, sniper rifle, and grenades.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 30, 2008, 09:19:57 PM

I'm at level 10 and just barely hit GNR.  I'm at the point where the ample weaponry I'm carrying is really doing inconsistent damage and I may need to find some new weapons.  This was especially apparent when the feral ghouls I was fighting before took only one headshot from the combat shotgun at point blank in VATS would kill a ghoul, now it's 2-3.  It wouldn't be so bad if not for facing a more creatures at once, and also taking a lot more damage at once.

Are you keeping your weapons repaired? As the weapons wear down the damage drops pretty dramatically.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 10:06:02 PM »

Well, I just repaired the combat shotgun and the damage jumped back up 6 points.  It wasn't that low on condition though, at least not that I could tell.  Hopefully it works better.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »

Yeah, Repair is a VERY important skill. It's not even funny how useful it is. Of course, then you have to find a spare weapon/armor lying around for the item you want to fix...

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »

Here's a tip I think is pretty valuable.

Just before you leave the vault, do NOT click on the exit gate, but rather create a saved-game right there in the natural tunnel leading out of the vault BEFORE you click on the exit gate.

Clicking on the exit gate will give you the opportunity to completely re-do your character. Thus if you want to start over and skip the whole vault intro stuff, but just want to try a new char. build, you can just load that save.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 30, 2008, 10:16:22 PM

Yeah, Repair is a VERY important skill. It's not even funny how useful it is. Of course, then you have to find a spare weapon/armor lying around for the item you want to fix...

The prima guide agrees with this. They call Repair "one of the most useful skills in the game".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: