http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:40:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splinter Cell - PC or XBox?  (Read 2409 times)
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2005, 07:20:27 PM »

I hear there is a huge graphical difference between the PC and XBox versions of this game.

I ran the demo on my PC, and it was a bit sluggish... although the graphics were amazing. I had to turn down the bloom effect to get a decent framerate, though. This was running on a P4 2.5 ghz, 1gig RAM GeForce 6800 GT.

With the bloom effect and some features turned off, will the graphics still be better than the XBox version?

I'm torn!
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 08:01:38 PM »

Not sure about the pc version, but the xbox version(while lacking 480p support, I think) looks amazing. Best looking console game I have ever seen. There`s a demo for xbox out too if you want to check it out. What resolution were you running the demo at?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 10:02:10 PM »

They're both similar, with a few differences.

The PC version has a bit more control over Sam's movement, because to set his movement speed, you scroll the mousewheel up or down.  Whereas on the Xbox how far you hold the thumbstick is his speed.

The multiplayer Spies vs Mercs mode has the mercs playing in FPS mode, so there's another reason for me.  Otherwise, just choose the system you like best, it'll look better on the PC guaranteed.  But, some people don't have the system for it, and they can optimize the Xbox version so much that it may look just as good in some areas.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 11:12:45 PM »

Anyone know a site that features a side-by-side video comparison?

I'm really torn here.  I played the first SC on the Xbox and Pandora Tomorrow on the PC.  SC on Xbox looked great but I'm a little wary of all of the normal mapping used for Chaos Theory.  Based on playing Riddick and seeing videos of Doom 3 on Xbox, I find the technique looks much more like play-dough on Xbox tha the PC.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 03:22:10 AM »

I don't know where a side by side comparison can be found.  Maybe Gametrailers.... not sure.

Anyway, I have still not made a decision which version I'm getting either.  The kid at EBGames (so take this for what it's worth) said that as he understood it, the controls for the xbox were much easier to "get", and therefore better than the pc version.  I'm not sure about that, but hey, maybe he's right.

Playing any FPS on the xbox is a virtual nightmare for me though, which is why I am leaning toward the PC version.  I need to try the demo on both systems and make a decision i think.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 03:25:43 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Anyway, I have still not made a decision which version I'm getting either.  The kid at EBGames (so take this for what it's worth) said that as he understood it, the controls for the xbox were much easier to "get", and therefore better than the pc version.  I'm not sure about that, but hey, maybe he's right.

Playing any FPS on the xbox is a virtual nightmare for me though, which is why I am leaning toward the PC version.  I need to try the demo on both systems and make a decision i think.

I agree with you on the FPS part (minus the Halo games offhand), but Splinter Cell isn't an FPS, it's a 3rd person game.

From Gamespot's review (maybe this will help you):
Differences between the Xbox and PC versions of Chaos Theory are slight. You can save anywhere and at any time in both versions, which is a mixed blessing, since this convenience is counterweighted by you having to think about saving your progress or risk having to replay long sequences--else, you're tempted to save constantly, prior to any potentially dangerous situation. The Xbox version features an option to play the co-op mode in a split-screen, which works well enough and is good to have. The PC version is capable of looking even richer and sharper than the Xbox version, provided you have a high-end PC--but the same system will probably expose some of the graphical shortcomings of the less-detailed multiplayer mode. On the PC, you can also optionally hear your foes speaking in their native languages, though this option isn't implemented well. The foreign dialogue isn't subtitled, and if you interrogate one of the foes, he'll break into English, which ensures your understanding of the situation but comes across as even less believable than the default setting. Controls are ultimately a bit better on the Xbox, partly because the PC version includes some irritating inconsistencies between the default key bindings for the solo and co-op modes as well as for the versus mode. Both versions include a few too many unskippable splash screens, in-game advertisements, and undesirable loading times for comfort. Multiplayer is easier to get into using the Xbox Live service than on the PC through Ubisoft's proprietary Ubi.com, which makes you jump through a few hoops before you can get into a match. Both versions retail for the same price, whereas PC versions of games like this used to cost a few dollars less.

So, maybe the kid wasn't very wrong...I really don't know.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 03:37:10 AM »

Rage buy Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for PC.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 04:38:54 AM »

Yes, and now I will school--er train--you in the ways of the spy. Tongue
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 05:24:11 AM »

i'll be picking it up for PC as soon as it's available.  i played the other two on PC and they were great...control scheme with the mouse/keyboard is perfect Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
i'll be picking it up for PC as soon as it's available.  i played the other two on PC and they were great...control scheme with the mouse/keyboard is perfect Cool

I was just about to say I will get htis tomorrow when i checked online and I am not seeing it available anywhere near me, yet so many other people in the other thread indicate they have it. So I call shennanigans!!! What the heck is up with the distribution.

Plus, I didnt even know there is some fancy schmancy collectors edition for 5 bucks more than the regular versions everywhere this week but CC (37.99 PC), and curiously enough, Gamestop for 39.99PC (online price confirmed, in store price not known yet)

So tomorrow I will figure this shiznit out and see what happens.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 06:22:29 AM »

Well, I got my CE today...I haven't put it in the Xbox as of yet.  It's much like the Halo 2 LE package...same sort of case, except this time they put the discs in correctly with a flip holder (some Halo 2 LEs came with a flip holder, but many didn't).

I think the picture on the front and back look awesome and there is a slip cover ala Halo 2.  Well worth the extra $5 if you can find it.

Oh yes...I got mine at EB where I almost always get my games.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 08:11:04 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I was just about to say I will get htis tomorrow when i checked online and I am not seeing it available anywhere near me, yet so many other people in the other thread indicate they have it. So I call shennanigans!!! What the heck is up with the distribution.

i was in my local EB today and asked the guy when they would have CT...he reached down and grabbed an xbox copy from behind the counter.  when i told him i wanted the PC version, he hesitated a little then said he didn't know when it would be available because it wasn't released from their warehouse yet.  he made it sound like EB had stock packed away that just hadn't been distributed to stores yet for one reason or another.  there's been no delay in getting the xbox version on shelves though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »

Just finished  replay of the PC demo and performance was MUCH better than I remember.  I've updated my drivers in the past few weeks so maybe that was the difference.

That pretty much sealed it for me- PC version it is.  Hopefully Fry's has it in stock tomorrow.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 01:24:31 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "Lockdown"
Playing any FPS on the xbox is a virtual nightmare for me though, which is why I am leaning toward the PC version.

I agree with you on the FPS part (minus the Halo games offhand), but Splinter Cell isn't an FPS, it's a 3rd person game.

No, I understand that.  I was talking about the versus mode where one side plays the 1st person camera.  If I go with the xbox version, I would essentially never be able to play that side due to my lack of skillzzz with the xbox controller.

And that snippet confirms what the kid at EB told me.  I have compiled a short list of pros and cons for myself regarding both systems, and I still haven't made a decision.  The ease of voice, ease of control, and ease of getting into a mp match on the xbox are compelling.  By the time I make a decision, noone will even be playing the damn game anymore.   frown

LD  :?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 01:47:49 PM »

Ah yes, forgot about the FPS element in multiplayer...my bad.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 08:57:29 PM »

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think circuit city has SC:CT for the pc for 29.99 on Friday.  i'm holding out for that one, myself.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 09:13:40 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think circuit city has SC:CT for the pc for 29.99 on Friday.  i'm holding out for that one, myself.

Pretty sure its $37.99 at CC.  Supposed to be available on Thursday, although I find I often have to ask them to pull the games from the back since they seem lazy about putting them on the floor (happened to me just last week with God of War).

Fry's has all versions for $37.99 and they are supposed to be available today so I'm going to head out for it a little later.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 09:14:36 PM »

I wish we had a Fry's in my neck of the woods frown

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 11:17:06 PM »

I finally called gamespot and its 39.99 in their stores.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 11:48:57 PM »

Just got back from picking up my copy.  I've decided to play this prior to God of War so I'll be starting it up once it gets a bit darker outside (I can't have too much light in the room when I play a SC game.

Yeah, I'm only living on the West Coast for several months and I'm really going to miss it when I go back East.  I'd been reading about the store and deals for years before coming out here and I have to say the store didn't disappoint.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 01:56:29 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Pretty sure its $37.99 at CC.  .

Is this for the xbox as well?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 02:27:45 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Pretty sure its $37.99 at CC.  .

Is this for the xbox as well?

Nope- only the PC version.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 03:18:53 AM »

Can anyone positively confirm/deny that SC:CT on xbox has support for 480P? I use an X2VGA to connect my xbox to my monitor and games have to atleast support 480P for it to work.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 03:26:07 AM »

WARNING:  The PC version of Splinter Cell uses Starforce, a malware copy protection system worse than most spyware.  INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 03:38:48 AM »

LE...had to tone the size down a little.  It's still larger than regular and in bold.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 03:59:13 AM »

LE...had to tone the size down a little.  It's still larger than regular and in bold.
Oh.   :oops:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 05:53:00 AM »

Thanks for the info about Starforce. I was debating whether to get the PC or Xbox version, and this makes the choice easy. This is now the 3rd game I'm not going to buy for PC because of Starforce.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: