http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splinter Cell: Conviction  (Read 7284 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2007, 04:07:24 PM »

Unofficially of course, and shamelessly ripped from GamersReports, (who yanked it from a Finnish site I won't even try to pronounce - http://pelaajalehti.com/2007/05/03/uusin-pelaaja-myynnissa-splinter-cell-conviction/) it looks like our next Splinter Cell game is called "Conviction" and will see a release at the end of this year.  Concept art below pending the official word...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:10:58 PM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:10:28 PM »

I know I've told myself this 4 times before, but I am not going to get sucked in by the forum effect for this Splinter Cell only to have it do nothing but gather dust.  I swear, not this time!!  paranoid

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:11:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2007, 04:10:28 PM

I know I've told myself this 4 times before, but I am not going to get sucked in by the forum effect for this Splinter Cell only to have it do nothing but gather dust.  I swear, not this time!!  paranoid

It's make by the Montreal studio. 

Bwahahaha - you are already hooked!   nod

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »

It looks and sounds very cool-and since I think Montreal is the "good" SC developer, color me super excited.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »

Excited here.

SC:DA wasnt the best offering (backtracking was annoying), but still very well done and one of the few games I actually made it through. If this is at least equal to DA, it'll be a Day 1!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »

I am with on the backtracking.  I got sick of it and hated the whole terrorist base missions thing.  Those absolutely 100% ruined even the thought of SC for me anymore.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on May 03, 2007, 05:13:14 PM

I am with on the backtracking.  I got sick of it and hated the whole terrorist base missions thing.  Those absolutely 100% ruined even the thought of SC for me anymore.

The level design in DA was mediocre overall and the graphics were sorely lacking, it has tainted the Splinter Cell name for me as well.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:44:08 PM »

I loved every single Splinter Cell, right up until Double Agent.  I didn't like the things you guys mentioned, but more, it took Sam Fisher away from what made him cool.  It wasn't a bad game, really, it just didn't come close to hooking me like the others did.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 05:46:08 PM »

And Sam Fisher continues to get younger and younger...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kratz
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

Heh. Yup.

Count me among the disenchanted... DA really let me down.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 07:18:36 AM »

Did DA leave things hanging, or was everything wrapped up nice and neat at the end?

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 07:39:39 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 03, 2007, 04:11:22 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2007, 04:10:28 PM

It's make by the Montreal studio. 

Bwahahaha - you are already hooked!   nod

Not much of a hook for me, that same studio managed to produce that steaming pile of crap known as Far Cry Vengence for the Wii.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:30 AM »

Since it's all the rage at E3, thought it was maybe worth waking up the thread...

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/578/e3-splinter-cell-conviction-demonstrated
Throughout the conference we saw a much more aggressive and downright brutal Sam Fisher, as well as much faster-paced gameplay than previous iterations in the Splinter Cell series.

First we saw Fisher beating a guy half to death in a toilet while searching for clues about
Spoiler for Hiden:
his daughter's death.
Context-sensitive actions saw the poor guy get his head smashed into walls and mirrors, as well as headbutted and throttled.
I throw the spoiler in there cause to me that's what I call a major "plot point" but E3 impressions articles seem to toss it around like it's nothing.

It sounds like an interesting twist on Splinter Cell plot-wise (kinda like trying to shake up the James Bond franchise by putting him in a different kind of situation), but turning Fisher into a raging maniac seems a little bit odds with the whole point of the franchise. That's just my abrupt impression, but it sounds like if someone wanted to turn Metal Gear Solid (stealth) into Grand Theft Auto (kill everybody in sight). What's the point? The game journalists seem more impressed by it than my jaundiced eyes.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:50:41 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 02:11:35 AM »

Blackjack, certain things happened in Double Agent that led to pretty much a near breakdown, saved only by his sense of duty.  Then, in conviction, the premise is someone has betrayed him and the NSA leading to the Sam we have now.

Think of it more like the movie Taken.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 03:12:08 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 05, 2009, 02:11:35 AM

Blackjack, certain things happened in Double Agent that led to pretty much a near breakdown, saved only by his sense of duty.  Then, in conviction, the premise is someone has betrayed him and the NSA leading to the Sam we have now.

Think of it more like the movie Taken.

Yeah, I figure they aren't considering it a spoiler because it happened in the previous game, not this one.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »

After watching the demo this is a day one purchase for me.  Can't wait.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »

The E3 footage on Live got me so excited for Conviction that I went back and played Double Agent from start to finish.  I had made it to the Cozumel ship back in 2007 but then hit a sticking point and lost interest.  I started over from the beginning to refresh my memory on the storyline and also utilized a Gamespot Game Guide I had printed out long ago in order to avoid the frustration of trial-and-error situations.  Without the guide I am positive I would have put my controller through the wall.

Double Agent is far from being without major issues, but there were some experiences that were worth the trouble of trudging through some of the more frustrating portions of the game.  Hiding beneath the ice in the arctic to surprise enemies and pull them into the water to their deaths, infiltrating a sky-scraper from the roof, nutrilizing all crew members on a ship by any means necessary, and of course the final stage of sweet, sweet vengance.  Granted, the broad daylight levels were terribly frustrating, stealth gameplay wasn't as effective as past titles, and the JBA Headquarters stages were awful, but that last level of vengance was fucking awesome.

And while I lost interest back in 2007 due to excessive levels of frustration with the game (I managed to finish the original Splinter Cell with zero guides, hints, etc, but there was just no way for me to finish Double Agent withot the help of a guide, otherwise I may have taken my own life), going all the way through Double Agent over the past week (51 hours of gameplay) got me REALLY excited for Conviction.

The gameplay footage gives me the impression of a combination of classic Splinter Cell stealth mixed with the badassery of The Bourne Conspiracy.  Like the last level in Double Agent, it looks like Conviction finally allows Sam Fisher to use all of his extensive skills to just go all Taken on everyone.  I went from having sworn off the series due to the garbage in Double Agent to watching the trailer and gameplay footage, playing all the way through Double Agent from start to finish, and now I'm very excited for Conviction.  Especially since it's being made by the "right" Ubisoft office in Montreal.   drool     

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »

Ah, I remember you and I playing MP in DA one once or twice.  I really do enjoy the Agent/Merc mode and I hope Conviction includes a healthy MP upgrade.  If so, we need to get a GT game night going for that. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 10, 2009, 05:15:56 PM

Ah, I remember you and I playing MP in DA one once or twice.  I really do enjoy the Agent/Merc mode and I hope Conviction includes a healthy MP upgrade.  If so, we need to get a GT game night going for that. 

After finishing the SP campaign last night I've been considering trying to jump back into the MP scene, but I'm not sure if people are even playing any longer.  And if they are, odds are they're at Harkonis levels of pwnage.

It's probably time for me to move on to other titles in my backlog.  I hear Fallout 3 is supposed to be pretty good.   icon_wink

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »

Unfortunately, I traded my copy of SC:DA in a while ago.  However, if Conviction includes a good MP mode, I'd love to do some MP as a devil may care, well endowed agent.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 10, 2009, 05:08:34 PM

going all the way through Double Agent over the past week (51 hours of gameplay)

eek Did you fall asleep while playing? 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »

Conviction was pretty much gonna go over my head until i saw E3...very much looking forward to it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »

going all the way through Double Agent over the past week (51 hours of gameplay) got me REALLY excited for Conviction.  

Is that a misprint?  I played through Double Agent a few years back and I don't remember it taking more than about 15 hours.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 10, 2009, 06:16:58 PM

going all the way through Double Agent over the past week (51 hours of gameplay) got me REALLY excited for Conviction.  

Is that a misprint?  I played through Double Agent a few years back and I don't remember it taking more than about 15 hours.

That's what showed up in the "time played" category in my stats.  That could be a combination of all of my SP efforts along with the amount of MP I played when the game was first released, but I apparently put in far more time than most. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »

Conviction was one of the biggest surprises of the show to me, I remember when previews and videos first started appearing and I was entirely uninterested in the game. Then, the game seemed to have disappeared from the media, and it resurfaced at E3 in superior form. It's looking really good, Ubisoft has been touting the new "dynamic stealth" approach as a faster, more spontaneous form of stealth than in previous games. I didn't get any hands-on with it but I watched them demo it a few times and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Double Agent suuuucked so this should be the series' redemption.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:55:45 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 10, 2009, 06:54:04 PM

Conviction was one of the biggest surprises of the show to me, I remember when previews and videos first started appearing and I was entirely uninterested in the game. Then, the game seemed to have disappeared from the media, and it resurfaced at E3 in superior form. It's looking really good, Ubisoft has been touting the new "dynamic stealth" approach as a faster, more spontaneous form of stealth than in previous games. I didn't get any hands-on with it but I watched them demo it a few times and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Double Agent suuuucked so this should be the series' redemption.

Double Agent was great--at least the the non-360 Xbox version was.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »

Yeah, this one went from mild hope-it's-good interest to can't wait to play it.  Loved the new production method of protraying the objectives in the environs and the badass speed and new moves.

Can't wait.   Biggest surprise of E3 for me.  All my other must-haves are still that way and I got exactly what I expected.

This make me also want to go back to DA, which I liked tremendously by the way no matter the critics.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on June 10, 2009, 09:42:08 PM

This make me also want to go back to DA, which I liked tremendously by the way no matter the critics.

If you do and eventually grow tired of a lot of frustrating trial-and-error gameplay, I would strongly recommend a decent guide.  The one I used was from the Gamestop website and it was a tremendous help.  Without it I would have gone mad.  There are some really difficult situations and without some guidance it would be easy to replay then a 100 times.  I just don't have that kind of time, or patience.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 12:51:01 AM »

is Ubisoft trying to piss off the PS3 community?

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 02:16:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 22, 2009, 12:51:01 AM

What an absurd article- of course it's just business.  Conviction has been a 360 exclusive since it was barely on the drawing board and existed only as concept art of a game that never materialized.  It was never a question of Ubi not having the technical ability to put it on PS3. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »

here's a list of the achievements. I was going to get this on the PC but now this looks to be a 360 rental.

[edit] I hear one of the secret achievements is 'Not getting raped by Ubi's DRM 10 pts'.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:09:15 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »

They've got this going for $52 at Amazon. Assuming the price holds I'll use the $20 coupon from BC2 to get this cheap. And cheap is the best kind of video game.

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »

The Ubisoft PC DRM means I will not be getting this or Assassins Creed II on any platform.  I was looking forward to having Sam Fisher slam heads into bathroom urinals.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »

Same with me. I have never played a Splinter Cell game before and was planning on making this my first, but as long as the Ubisoft DRM is there I won't buy it. As stated in the DRM thread, I'll pirate it on principle if I have to, but I'd rather just stay away from the game entirely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »

of course you could rent it or buy it used and enjoy it while seeing Ubi doesn't get a cent from the sale/rental.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 05:11:18 PM »

it's on my rental list, but that's more due to my upcoming stint in 'unemployment job hunter' mode.  very few games will be bought for a while.  hell, i never finished the first one due to the bugs that plagued later levels on the pc.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »

Well, I've got it pre-ordered for 360. Sorry to muck up your protest.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2010, 03:39:42 PM

of course you could rent it or buy it used and enjoy it while seeing Ubi doesn't get a cent from the sale/rental.

Two problems: Renting games isn't possible where I live (there's not a big market for that kind of thing in Norway) and used games are few and far between (and I prefer new anyway).

Make that three problems: Ubisoft would still see activity from me on their DRM servers, showing them that I'm someone who has accepted the DRM. I don't want to do that. I'd rather flaunt a pirated copy in their face to make a statement. At the moment I'm leaning more towards not getting the game and just waiting it out to see if they remove the DRM later, and then immediately buying the game to make a better statement than the piracy one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 07:00:38 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 03, 2010, 05:15:04 PM

Well, I've got it pre-ordered for 360. Sorry to muck up your protest.

<shrug> it'll sell no matter what, it's just a matter of a personal feeling of victory that I got to play the game without my money going to Ubi.

Because I can,
addzo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »

Sam does seem to have found a fountain of youth.  Maybe the more bitter he gets the younger he grows icon_lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: