http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory  (Read 1717 times)
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2005, 09:14:36 PM »

So, I got the euro version from GoGamer, and as far as I can tell, it is the same game.  I don't think it has Starforce on it, since I looked in the device manager for anything called starforce, and I couldn't find anything.

The game looks completely different from the other splinter cell games.  The vision modes now have some sort of funky fisheye lens effect, instead of just making the whole screen change color.

I do have one question, for anybody who has played the PC version.  When I am done questioning a bad guy, which button is it that kills him?  I dislike killing people who are at a disadvantage when I am playing a good guy.  I just can't tell which attack is a kill and which is not.

The left mouse button yields a solid hit to the lower back, or maybe the back of the head, which may involve the knife, which might be the killing blow, but I can't really tell.  The right mouse button involves a choke attack that may be breaking the neck, but I can't tell.  The manual is no help at all on this issue.

So, does anyone know the answer?

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 09:27:23 PM »

No Starforce on the Euro version?  Can anyone else confirm this?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 09:35:35 PM »

If this is true where the hell do I exhcange my copy frown

ANyways, as for the killing thing, I was curious about this, but actually for the opposite reason-I play Sam as more of an assassin than spy, and I wanted to cut someones throat when i was done interrogating them. Anyways, I know if you press one mouse button you choke the guy-but NOT kill him-you force him to black out and he can be revived by another enemy that sees him (I think this is the RMB). The other attack when you have an enemy immobilized is the knee to the lower back. I do not know if this is fatal or not, but I have not seen an enemy revived in this instance (although its hard to keep track, since I dont often allow anyone to be discovered). This attack I believe is performed with the LMB.

THe only way I KNOW that you can kill someone other than with your guns and ammo is two instances with the knife. You can sneak up behind someone and when you get close enough hit LMB and Sam while quietly slash his throat. If approaching from the front, sam will grab him and stab the enemy in the gut.

I am only halfway through missino 2, so someone else will have much more to say.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 11:05:15 PM »

Thanks for the help.  I figured the choke could be just long enough to knock out the bad guy.  Sam seems to be a little more careful with the guy after the choke-out than he is with the knee in the back.  

I do remember reading somewhere that that was a built in thing with killing in the game.  It is louder to kill someone than it is to subdue him, but sometimes it is easier to kill a guy than try to subdue him. I love that two different people can play the game in completely seperate ways though.

If anyone can tell me exactly which group to look in for star force drivers in the device manager after checking the show hidden button, I will look.  But as I said, I checked each of the groups and found nothing saying starforce.  Unless they have figured out a new way to hide it for some reason.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 01:33:03 AM »

Yep, left mouse button is always kill and right mouse button is non-lethal.  If you do it prior to grabbing him, you will slash him with the knife (where you slash depends on how you apporach the bad guy).  Non-lethal prior to grab is a punch.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 03:22:21 AM »

You need to look under Non-plug and Play Drivers after clicking the option to show hidden devices.  From what I can gather the UK DVD version should have Starforce copy protection present.

Let me know as well I want to get this game but not if it has Starforce on it.

DrJones
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 04:15:08 AM »

I just checked again, under Non-Plug and Play drivers, and there is nothing there called starforce, or star anything.  

So, unless they changed the name of the drivers for some reason, they aren't there...

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 07:42:55 AM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
I just checked again, under Non-Plug and Play drivers, and there is nothing there called starforce, or star anything.  

So, unless they changed the name of the drivers for some reason, they aren't there...

Did you tell it to show hidden devices? If not the starforce driver won't show up.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 08:44:42 AM »

Yes I did tell it to show hidden devices.  Non plug and play devices doesn't even show up unless I switch on the hidden devices option.

Nothing called starforce in there.  So, the options are:

A.) My copy miraculously failed to install starforce yet still runs the game.
B.) The euro version doesn't have starforce
C.) GoGamer has access to special non-starforce versions of games.
D.) Starforce changed the name of their drivers for some reason.
E.) I somehow fail to see Starforce drivers, even though they are there.
F.) Starforce drivers never were labeled Starforce, so I was looking for the wrong thing in the device manager.

In fact, the only reason I brought up starforce in relation to Chaos Theory is that I saw it mentioned on the CT forums.  I probably shouldn't have even said anything, unless anyone out there knows that the US release deffinately does have starforce protection...

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 09:56:08 AM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
In fact, the only reason I brought up starforce in relation to Chaos Theory is that I saw it mentioned on the CT forums.  I probably shouldn't have even said anything, unless anyone out there knows that the US release deffinately does have starforce protection...

the US version definitely does use Starforce...it showed up as soon as i installed on my system (not that it changes anything for me).  this may seem like an odd question, but how many times have you rebooted your system since you installed the game?  the Starforce drivers didn't show up in my list until i had rebooted twice.  i wouldn't worry about it anyway as long as everything is working normally.  play the game and enjoy it...Chaos Theory is the best SC yet in my opinion Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 11:58:25 AM »

Game Title: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Game Version: 1.01
Game Producer: Ubisoft
Region of Origin: UK
Copy Protection: StarForce 3.4.75.03

Patch updates SF

This is supposedly the copy protection on the euro version as far i as can gather.  

DrJones
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 07:06:58 PM »

G.) Starforce drivers don't show up until 2 reboots of the system for some reason...

Okay.  After rebooting the obligatory once after install, the starforce drivers hadn't shown up.  Upon the second reboot, (gasp!) they are there!

Eeek!  Now my computer is infected with starforce!

I'll have to be on the lookout for slowdowns and strange crashes now.

Oh well.  I guess my days of being starforce free are over.

:oops:

Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 02:42:48 AM »

So, I have tried and tried to get Sam to do the old "split jump".  Can't make him do it in this version of the game...  Anybody know how to make it happen?

I'm not too happy with the removal of the tutorial in favor of videos.  That is dumb.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 10:28:15 PM »

You have to find a suitably narrow and high space to do the jump.  However, now, instead of facing parallel to the wall, you look straight at the wall and press jump.

Sam will then run up the wall, do a slight jump and then get into the split maneuver.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 01:24:49 AM »

I thought I had been doing that...  I have found a couple of places that looked narrow enough.  But jumping while facing any direction failed to produce the desired result of split jumping.  Maybe the places I have picked are too small or something.  They look wide enough.

I will just have to try some more.

Thanks for the tip!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: