http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:04:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory impressions  (Read 1835 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:11:50 PM »

I just picked this up from the game store, PC version.  It's on a DVD.

I noticed on the box that it has that blurb about containing protection software that will interfere with cdrw and dvdr drives.  So, I'm assuming this has Starforce on it.

I'll let you guys know how things go, although I suspect it won't do anything since my PC is pretty stable and it's the latest version, I already have the cleaning tool on my PC just in case.

I'll post my impressions of the SP, COOP, and VS modes soon.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:48:56 AM »

Played through the first mission, which was the demo mission.  They've opened up one of the closed off paths to the lighthouse, otherwise it's mostly the same.

I just got to the second mission, and just had to post this.  They'll make a very funny in-joke about Pandora Tomorrow's alarm mechanic.  Just letting those who hated it.  Tongue

Oh and whatever the copy protection is, my computer is fine so far.  I'm pleased to see that they had a screen making it a little more obvious that such protection software was installed, but it wasn't much.  As much as I like sneaking, I hate it when software sneaks onto my system.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 04:54:10 AM »

Here's a different warning.  Installing the 1.01 patch invalidates any saved games and profiles that you may had before it.

Do not install the patch if you have a game in progress.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 05:16:51 AM »

What about this damn starforce? on all pc versions or what? that sucks.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 05:54:07 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Yeup.  Well, there's one less PC game I'm interested in.  How's the PS2 version supposed to be?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 05:56:16 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Yeup.  Well, there's one less PC game I'm interested in.  How's the PS2 version supposed to be?

Much worse.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 06:01:32 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Much worse.

Worse that Starforce? How is that even possible? The moment you start up the PS2 game a professional wrestler breaks into your room and bodyslams you repeatidly in the throat?

But in a way its good. Theres only one known cure for the CG/OO effect, and thats dropping the S word.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 01:59:46 PM »

Quote from: "Crowley"

But in a way its good. Theres only one known cure for the CG/OO effect, and thats dropping the S word.

Is that ever a true statement.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 02:37:27 PM »

Thanks for saving me $40.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 06:21:51 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Much worse.
Well, there's on less PS2 game I'm interested in.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 09:51:21 PM »

I`ve been playing this on xbox, so I can`t comment on the pc version specifically, but I think the content is the same. I`ve very, very impressed by this game so far, in every way.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 10:24:25 PM »

Rage bought the PC version. Rage has not played since his computer crawls like a very developmentally challenged baby. Baby jesus cries.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:45:36 PM »

Rage bought the PC version. Rage has not played since his computer crawls like a very developmentally challenged baby. Baby jesus cries.
So you installed it and it runs like crap, or you installed it and now your whole computer runs like crap, or your computer just runs like crap and you haven't installed it yet?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 11:12:06 PM »

So you installed it and it runs like crap, or you installed it and now your whole computer runs like crap, or your computer just runs like crap and you haven't installed it yet?

The latter
curiously enough, my computer started to run like crap a day after I installed brothers in arms, also a Ubi game? Does it have starforce?

Considering I have tried everything I can think of save swapping out parts and my benchmarkes and games (Even RTSs) crawl, I am about out of ideas.

I mean jesus, I ran 3dmark01 with my rig yesterday. The 4 year old version. I got 9500 as my score. I BELIEVE when I first got this rig I got like 18000 or something.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 11:32:21 PM »

Have you tried downloading the starforce detection and removal tool from the starforce website?

Not to make this into another starforce debate, but performance issues is a known problem with starforce on certain PCs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 05:13:14 AM »

Everyone should check out the NSA Training videos on the Splinter Cell website.  They are hilarious and very well done.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 05:23:04 AM »

The latter
curiously enough, my computer started to run like crap a day after I installed brothers in arms, also a Ubi game? Does it have starforce?

Considering I have tried everything I can think of save swapping out parts and my benchmarkes and games (Even RTSs) crawl, I am about out of ideas.

I mean jesus, I ran 3dmark01 with my rig yesterday. The 4 year old version. I got 9500 as my score. I BELIEVE when I first got this rig I got like 18000 or something.
I do not believe BIA has Starforce.

To check to see if you have Starforce:

-Get to the Device Manager.
-Under "View" select "Show Hidden Devices."  A tab will pop open in the hardware readout tree.
-It's in alphabetical order, so scroll down to S.  If you see "Starforce" anything, yeah, you've been infected.

I mean, protected.   :roll:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 01:18:23 PM »

BiA has SafeDisk 4.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: