http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:58:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spider-Man 3 review discussion  (Read 8237 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't interested in the game at all, and I am still not interested. On one hand I like the fact that they developed a version from the ground up on the Wii, but on the other hand it looks like it could've used about 3 or 4 more months in tuning to get it right.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2007, 01:14:34 PM »

in your review KD,you said that it isnt kirsten dunst doing her lines,although i know her name wasnt there on the credits,it does sound a bit like her.
See?  Easily replaced.  icon_twisted

i looked at the achievements on my card ,and some look easy while others look like they could be hard..which is how it should be...one achievement is for swinging at 200mph...ouch,i think i am limping at a steady 25mph icon_lol at the moment,not that i cant tell whether there is a speedometer anywhere....i think it will be fun getting the achievements anyway
If you want to know how to get this one, just let me know...I'll point you in the right direction.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2007, 01:46:19 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 05, 2007, 01:14:34 PM

in your review KD,you said that it isnt kirsten dunst doing her lines,although i know her name wasnt there on the credits,it does sound a bit like her.

i looked at the achievements on my card ,and some look easy while others look like they could be hard..which is how it should be...one achievement is for swinging at 200mph...ouch,i think i am limping at a steady 25mph icon_lol at the moment,not that i cant tell whether there is a speedometer anywhere....i think it will be fun getting the achievements anyway
If you want to know how to get this one, just let me know...I'll point you in the right direction.

give me a day or two,if i still havent clocked on how to do it,i will send you a PM icon_lol.

just did my first bomb mission...not sure how i did it really...but then carrying the bombs back to the bomb squad,i didnt notice the new bar on the screen that detects movement...so as you can imagine i had to do that a few times,i am glad that it autosaves at the middle of some missions and you dont have to do the whole thing again

the spidey sense is pretty good as well,hunting down the lizards was quite fun

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »

I know this is the console forum, but rather than add a new thread in the pc forum, I'm asking here.

Has anyone tried it on the pc yet?  I have an athlon 64 3400+, 1 gig ram, 6800gt oc 256mb.  (I know the reqs were listed in the review, but I'm not sure where my rig falls)  I am interested because it's $30 cheaper and I get more opportunities to play on the pc rather than the 360.  Any takers yet?
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »

I spent about 3 hours with the Wii version between last night and this morning.  It's a bit of a mixed bag.  The controls are a lot of fun, but not as perfect as I'd like.  All too often I'll flick the wii mote in the direction of a building to swing to it and the web shoots out the opposite direction.  The game is a bit glitchy as well.  I've found several buildings that spidey won't climb to the top of.  Whenever he hits the top of the building he doesn't pull himself up he just starts falling off.  I end up having to web-boost my way over the top. 

The combat with the wii-mote is a blast so far though.  I especially like grabbing an enemy with the web and moving the controller like a lasso to swing him around and throw him. They incorporated that into a boss fight as well.  There's a boss that shoots missles at you and you must webshoot the rocket and lasso the controller to throw it back at him.  It was a lot of fun.  The only downside to all this is that you do so much waving around of the controller to punch, kick , etc that after an hour or so I found my arm getting pretty tired. 

Overall I like it, but the several glitches I've encountered have brought it down a few notches.  I'll probably finish it up and trade it in for the 360 version. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2007, 11:26:17 PM »

This is the first game in many years that I've had to restrain myself from snapping the dvd in two.

The stupid chandelier sequence is annoying as hell.  If you wait until it says Now! you're too late, if I swing earlier, I'm too early.  To make it all just a touch more frustrating there is a 20 second loading screen and unskippable 'witty' comment scene before it so it burns into your mind.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2007, 11:30:22 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 05, 2007, 11:26:17 PM

This is the first game in many years that I've had to restrain myself from snapping the dvd in two.

The stupid chandelier sequence is annoying as hell.  If you wait until it says Now! you're too late, if I swing earlier, I'm too early.  To make it all just a touch more frustrating there is a 20 second loading screen and unskippable 'witty' comment scene before it so it burns into your mind.

Yea, the instructions are stupid.  HOLD DOWN THE BUTTON, then release when it says now. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »

I would like to know how to do this.

Thanks
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2007, 11:50:17 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on May 05, 2007, 11:35:47 PM

Thanks

Spoiler for Hiden:
Get on top of the Daily Bugle and walk to the edge.  You'll see two air vents.  Walk between them and you'll get a prompt.  Launch yourself across damned near the entire map with a slingshot move and you'll get this achievement pretty quickly. 
So, there ya go.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2007, 12:24:28 AM »

My first impressions of the 360 version are pretty "meh".  Trying to follow lizard tracks while constantly re-hitting my Spidey-sense?  Yuck.  Timed missions that says the helicopter got away even though I'm right fucking next to it?  Suck me.  Not being able to do any damage to cars, hot dog carts, etc?  Lame. 

I'm not very far into the game at all, but so far I can't think of a single thing that I really like about it.  The controls don't feel all that tight and the camera isn't very good either.  The combat is too full of canned animations that have my guy bouncing all over the place and just asking for button mashing, and the web swinging is just (so help me) boring, slow and a little annoying.  And don't get me started on the weak cinematics.  Peter Parker looks like he has freaking Down syndrome. 

It's not a terrible game by far, but it smacks of being developed by thier port/sequel studio and rushed to meet the movie deadline.  Thank god I only rented it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 05, 2007, 11:50:17 PM

Thanks

Spoiler for Hiden:
Get on top of the Daily Bugle and walk to the edge.  You'll see two air vents.  Walk between them and you'll get a prompt.  Launch yourself across damned near the entire map with a slingshot move and you'll get this achievement pretty quickly. 
So, there ya go.

okay,i read it...but it isnt working for me,i am speed 5 i think at the moment...do i have to be speed 6?...its just that no matter how many times i do it,i can only get 199mph...i have been trying for the last 30-45 mins...and its a pain in the ass having to keep going back to the Bugle

done quite a few more missions,new goblin,dr conners lizard...and been getting the achievements for doing the random crimes

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2007, 01:29:05 PM »

If anyone wanted to try out the game for the PC, it's on sale at CC for $10 this week.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2007, 01:46:08 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 06, 2007, 09:57:34 AM

Thanks

Spoiler for Hiden:
So, there ya go.

okay,i read it...but it isnt working for me,i am speed 5 i think at the moment...do i have to be speed 6?...its just that no matter how many times i do it,i can only get 199mph...i have been trying for the last 30-45 mins...and its a pain in the ass having to keep going back to the Bugle

done quite a few more missions,new goblin,dr conners lizard...and been getting the achievements for doing the random crimes

I'm at Speed 5 I believe.....I'll check when I get home.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on May 06, 2007, 01:29:05 PM

If anyone wanted to try out the game for the PC, it's on sale at CC for $10 this week.

For $10, or $10 off? $10 for a brand new title is just...nuts.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2007, 03:08:34 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 06, 2007, 02:11:23 PM

It's $10. $9.99, actually.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on May 06, 2007, 03:08:34 PM

It's $10. $9.99, actually.

I saw that as well.  Not sure if it's a misprint or what (it says regularly priced $19.99), but I see Best Buy has it for $22.99. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »

Thanks

Spoiler for Hiden:
So, there ya go.

I've gone to that location and never get a prompt.  Do you have to unlock a special skill first or something?  I do have the dual-web thing. 

Also, does anyone know how to get the stupid Web Slinger achievement?  It says "Web up 25 enemies", but I know I've used the web subdue move more times than that and it apparently doesn't count.  Is there some other trick to it?

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »

That is because the game sucks hard, sorry. I played it, its garbage.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2007, 08:01:55 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 06, 2007, 07:49:28 PM

Thanks

Spoiler for Hiden:
So, there ya go.

I've gone to that location and never get a prompt.  Do you have to unlock a special skill first or something?  I do have the dual-web thing. 

Also, does anyone know how to get the stupid Web Slinger achievement?  It says "Web up 25 enemies", but I know I've used the web subdue move more times than that and it apparently doesn't count.  Is there some other trick to it?

you need to unlock the slingshot skill,i did this quite near the beginning,after i fifnished a mission so it shouldnt be that hard to get...then wehn you get to the airvents that KD mentioned,a X(as in the X button) will appear when standing in the middle

i presumed the web 25 enemies was the same as the last game(or the one before it),where you web up the enemies to the lamp posts...but i am not sure

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »

One of my dislikes of this game after a couple of days with it is the timed stuff. I hate that in any game, but especially in this one.
Its pretty shallow fun, and I don't think I was expecting more..Maybe thats why I'm not so disappointed with it. I still think it looks fine at 1080p...

But sad to say I don't think I'll be playing it for any substantial period of time.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2007, 02:10:34 PM »

Purge's impressions of the Wii version

Where I am in the game right now (very minor spoiler) At this point I'm supposed to go see Dr. Conner about some lizard research because of the lizardmen attacks in central park. If you've played past this you should have an idea as to how far I am. The game reported me at about 17% at the time; I've not yet progressed any further as I've dedicated myself to unlocking the RPG-like skills (think Diablo II development tree, or Marvel Ult. Alliance). I've spent about 5.5 hours with the game, most of which cleaning up the streets and I gotta say this game has grown on me substantially.I've been systematically forcing the criminal orgs underground by taking over territories; the police rating right now is at just over 50% (which has raised my percent complete to 28%). Note that you can still fight crime in police owned areas; this is more like the GTA-style territory control.

Some quick notes:
  • I want to have more of my RPG upgrades before continuing on with the story, and I've not been using the black suit as I really haven't needed it much.
  • Having the "map marker" is awesome; it's been invaluable in finding where I want to go (it shows up ingame on the horizon and gives you distance to it).
  • The load times are a little annoying (3-7 seconds between missions) but I can complete a set of crime patrol missions within 5 minutes and there's 3-5 missions in each so it's not that terrible. I just wished they'd cache the endings up so there would be a seamless transition from one mission to the next.

The Wii control system is WAY fun. Once you get used to the swinging, you can do so much. The controls are very organic. It actually feels like your web is a rope that you control. Using the analog joystick, you can affect how you "lean" while on a web line. Swinging from side to side is always fun, and for the most part you can actually tell you're anchoring to buildings (I haven't noticed more than 1 or 2 instances of the 70's spider-man "web in the sky" type swinging.) There have only been 2 or 3 glitches (where I'm hung up on something that isn't there. Jumping and swinging again got past it ... and it relates to being on a rooftop with too many vents etc). Keep in mind that that's with at least 4 hours of actively swinging in the streets.

The fighting controls actually work well even though initially they took some getting used to. I am left-handed and have my controls reversed; other than some scripted battles (I'll get into that later), I've had no problems at all. Remember that when you start out you only have the basic controls.

The graphics aren't great, but they're better than most Xbox1 titles. There is popup, but it happens so far in front of you that it really doesn't impact the game. The texture details were a little more noticable. I'd say that as far as the needs of this game are concerned; it meets, not exceeds, the requirements for this game. If you've just been playing GoW or some other gaming platform, there is a stark difference. This doesn't make this unacceptable; Mii's don't even have necks. Tongue I've had almost no collision detection issues or clipping etc.

Sounds like a city without the noise. There is ambient sound, but it's not fully realized. Also, the voices often don't match the type of person you've rescued. For instance, I've saved a middle-aged black guy with a chicks voice, and also saved a white-eastern-euro like guy in a wife-beater who had a black guy voice during the rescue, and as soon as I dropped him off to the ambulance he switched to hispanic. The comments can get repetitive; given that I was doing the same thing over and over I can tell you that I would expect it. No other complaints sound-wise.

Gameplay has me hooked. The battles are fun and although somewhat simple (sofar) each of the gangs do different things and have different strengths and weaknesses. For instance, you can't use a zip line to pull a male Dragon gang member into a punch; he'll evade it and come up behind you. The anarchists are brawlers, and if those brits surround you, pray you can dodge your way out or get a rodeo swing off before you're in striking distance. Or, you know, jump and swing away. biggrin

I don't know if this game is worth a purchase unless this is the only system you own. As it stands it's a real blast, but I can see multi-platform owners riding this one on a rental and buying a different one just for the graphics... but the controls in this are excellent.

One last note: it looks like the scripted battles don't reverse the controls for the left-handed people. This makes battles counter-intuitive. I've only noticed this there, and in places where you have to shake controls to open storage bins, etc). Not a showstopper; I just wish they'd have caught that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2007, 02:27:55 PM »

Purge, what size TV are you playing on?  Even Spiderman 3 didn't look this bad, but I played it on a 25 inch TV and I'm playing SM3 on a 46" one, which I'm chalking up to be the cause of some of the horrid graphics, even though none of my previous Wii games looked this bad.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »

I'm playing it on a high-def 30" Sony CRT with the component cables.

If this was a slow walk through the city, I'd be expecting graphics that popped with stunning textures etc... Given that I'm more concerned with buildings and framerate, the graphics suit the game. Keep in mind though, I gave it a passing grade. Somewhere between 50% - 70% is what I'm thinking.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2007, 11:25:18 PM »

I thought I was going to like this game......Its just a ball of frustration to me now. I can't stand all the timed stuff...It ruins the game for me.
Swinging around trying to stay close to a car over and over again is not fun to me. Even taking a stinking picture of two thugs talking is timed. I don't mean 2 minute timed, more like 15 seconds.

This is another 360 purchase that will collect dust until I can't stand it anymore and I sell the system and all the bricks of games I have.

Colour me pissed off.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2007, 11:52:30 PM »

Colour me pissed off.

frown

I don't like feeling like I steered you the wrong direction....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2007, 11:58:32 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 07, 2007, 11:25:18 PM

This is another 360 purchase that will collect dust until I can't stand it anymore and I sell the system and all the bricks of games I have.

Colour me pissed off.
If you are so pissed off, and have a collection of bricks, why dont you rent before you buy?

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2007, 12:01:31 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on May 07, 2007, 11:58:32 PM

Quote from: Arclight on May 07, 2007, 11:25:18 PM

Colour me pissed off.
If you are so pissed off, and have a collection of bricks, why dont you rent before you buy?

Yep, you're right.

Live and learn.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2007, 12:02:09 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 07, 2007, 11:52:30 PM

Colour me pissed off.

frown

I don't like feeling like I steered you the wrong direction....

Absolutely not. I understand different strokes for different folks. Just not my bag.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2007, 01:33:43 AM »

Yikes! 4.7 from Gamespot for the Wii version!

The Wii version of Spider-Man 3 is a depressing combination of ugly to look at and dull to play.

6.6 for the 360/PS3 versions..

This is, at best, a step sideways for the Spider-Man movie games.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2007, 06:44:04 AM »

Thank goodness i have gamefly.  Last year this would have been another impulse buy and wasted $60......but not now.  The 360 version is very meh to me.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2007, 07:23:43 AM »

It doesn't look like it's going to be a long wait for the next game - Friend or Foe?.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »

I took it back and got something else. In the end, the cacophony of negativity surrounding this game just made it hard for me to justify keeping it.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2007, 02:51:22 PM »

i am enjoying it,although the timed missions are just making me turn to something else....mary jane will just have to get her 'thrill' rides from someplace else....the tramp icon_neutral

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2007, 12:37:54 PM »

The save game in this title is so frustrating. There is one mission where you're in a sewer network going after some boss lizard. It is a very long mission with, for me anyway, an extremely tough boss fight at the end. Guess what? No save at all through the whole thing. I'd been on this one mission for over a hour trying to finish the boss off...I had to go, you know that annoying thing called "real life"....Well I lost all that gaming time working my way to this boss because of the no save feature whilst in a mission.
How flippin frustrating is that?

Man, some developers must have sadistic tendancies, that or they have all the time in the world to game and think everyone else does too. icon_mad

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2007, 03:30:24 PM »

I just played the first sandman battle yesterday. That was alot of fun and pretty well done. I am also digging the bomb runs and missions.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »

I know this game didn't get much love on this forum but I am still playing and enjoying this game but I could use some help with an achievement.

How do you get the Web Slinger acheivement? It says I need to "Web up 25 enemies". What does that mean exactly? Do i need to web them with the B button? Does it have to be 25 all at one time or at separate times. I could have sworn I have webbed at least 25 enemies by now.

Has anyone achieved this and how?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2007, 07:36:08 PM »

i havent got it,but this is from xbox.com forums

Web Slinger 20G

This achievement is glitchy and alot of people have trouble with it. To get it hold down B and tie the required amount of gangsters up. It took me about fourty to get it.

http://forums.xbox.com/12924216/ShowPost.aspx

hope that helps

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »

it's been a while since i did this one, but iirc, you need to web them up to light poles and such.  that's what i was doing when i got the achievement.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2007, 12:42:02 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 11, 2007, 12:37:54 PM

The save game in this title is so frustrating. There is one mission where you're in a sewer network going after some boss lizard. It is a very long mission with, for me anyway, an extremely tough boss fight at the end. Guess what? No save at all through the whole thing. I'd been on this one mission for over a hour trying to finish the boss off...I had to go, you know that annoying thing called "real life"....Well I lost all that gaming time working my way to this boss because of the no save feature whilst in a mission.
How flippin frustrating is that?

Man, some developers must have sadistic tendancies, that or they have all the time in the world to game and think everyone else does too. icon_mad

This is the reason my interest left off on this title. Having the fun of roaming the city and controlling Spiderman so well is great, but after playing such a long, tedious, repetitive mission; well, that really dropped the "fun factor" of the game for me.

I loved the production values, the quality of the game and story really felt similar to the films (the way the Lizard was handled was very plausible and would fit into the films perfectly). It made a great rental, but that's about it for me.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 18, 2007, 11:00:47 PM

it's been a while since i did this one, but iirc, you need to web them up to light poles and such.  that's what i was doing when i got the achievement.
Thanks Caine. That was the ticket. You web them up with the B button then quickly hit the A button while near a Stoplight pole to web them up. Wish that had been a little better explained but I got the achievement.

I am currently ready to take on the final battle. I have enjoyed this game. It is a step up from Spiderman 2. Production Values and controls have been great. The missions are pretty good and the story flows alot better than the movie. I also hear they might release some new missions through download when the Spidey 3 movie DVD goes on sale. I will probably buy it.

I guess it is everyone's cup if tea because I really enjoyed webswinging around the city. I do wish there was more to interact with in the city though. Maybe how Oblivion had a ton of missions close together to places to visit.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: