http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 05:20:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spider-Man 2 Review Discussion  (Read 2004 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2004, 12:06:03 PM »

Tim put up his Spider-Man 2 review at 12:01am this morning to make sure you guys could read it before you buy it.  Any thoughts or questions for him?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 12:20:07 PM »

Sweet, I can't wait.  I just need the cash and I'm set.

Tim mentioned that the voice acting is done by the actual actors.  I read that Toby is the only one who is actually used.  Just pointing that out.  It may be wrong though.

Go Gunners...
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 04:33:29 PM »

Actually I think it's got Toby, Kirstin and Alfred Molina doing their voices.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 04:59:41 PM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
Actually I think it's got Toby, Kirstin and Alfred Molina doing their voices.

I know for sure that those three (Spider-Man, Mary Jane, and Doc Ock) are truly done by their real voices off the top of my head. The guy who's Mary's love interest (who's name I can't think of off the top of my head) sounded like him as well.

I'll have to double check my information when I get back home. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Edit: The direct link to the review is right here.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 05:02:24 PM »

Great review!

Now I just gotta wait to get home and play it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:47:04 PM »

From the IGN review:
"Mary-Jane Watson, J. Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson and even Harry Osborn are entirely unimpressive. MJ and JJJ are the worst, though, because they don't even sound close to their movie counterparts. They're cheap imitations."

From the Outstanding CG Review:
"For starters, all the voice actors from Spider-Man 2: The Movie reprised their roles in Spider-Man 2. So you won’t be hearing any generic voice actors doing their best to impersonate the voices you’ll be hearing in the movie. As expected, each actor does a fantastic job playing their character for the game. Spider-Man spouts off humorous quips about the game, while Mary Jane is constantly complaining about the lack of attention she’s being given."

OK - What the hell is going on??!? biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 11:15:29 PM »

MJ I could possibly see, but JJJ is rather dead on. I don't know what IGN is thinking honestly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 11:35:38 PM »

IGN is surley and hateful and CG is run by gamers who still remember that games are supposed to be fun?  I'm just speculating here...
'
 :twisted:

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 12:09:35 AM »

OK...having the box right in front of me (will play after I eat), if you look at the back it directly says:

"Featuring the voices of Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and Alfred Molina"

Looking at the manual those are the only movie to game voices.  The rest of the voices are done by voice actors (including JJJ who is not voiced by J.K. Simmons).

That should fix up whatever confusion there is.  I'll have to listen, but Kirsten Dunst has had movies where she has a different sound than you are used to from her voice.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 02:18:19 AM »

Just got to Harry and MJ for the first time and it doesn't sound anything like them. I'm sure it could be Dunst but it definitely isn't Franco.

Doesn't change the game for me, I just thopught it was funny that you guys came away with something completely different concerning the voice acting.

I agree with you and think it's pretty good.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 02:07:36 PM »

Can I just say that Jeff Gerstmann is a tool?  He gave the game a 7.2...way too low in my opinion.  Right now I'd probably put it in the 80s, maybe low 90.  The graphics aren't the best, but when you look at the sheer size of what you can see with no loading you begin to respect the graphics for what they are.

Anyway, Gerstmann is the worst Gamespot reviewer.  He's the one that famously gave Shenmue a bad score, GS got a bunch of hate mail and then someone else had to do a new review of it and Gerstmann's review went to vapor...never to be seen again.  I just wish Gamespot had a way to look up reviews via writer, I want to see Gerstmann's list.  He has been spot on at times, but he has some glaringly bad reviews from a score perspective.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 02:21:45 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Can I just say that Jeff Gerstmann is a tool?  He gave the game a 7.2...way too low in my opinion.  Right now I'd probably put it in the 80s, maybe low 90.  The graphics aren't the best, but when you look at the sheer size of what you can see with no loading you begin to respect the graphics for what they are.

A 7.2? Good lord. This is an outstanding game, worthy of the score I gave it. But, to each their own I guess.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 02:38:26 PM »

Just like the Ninja Gaiden debacle, sometimes reviewers just score low to draw attention to themselves.  Like a four year old, acting out. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 03:59:26 PM »

To be fair, it is the same score they gave "True Crime: Streets of LA".  In many ways, the reviews of this game suggests that Spider-Man 2 is TC:SOLA with webbing, which is a good thing IMO, in fact, a dream  come true.  

Unfortunately, by giving the same 10 or so filler missions over and over again, you open yourself up for criticism regarding replayability.  Couple witht that the ease of taking down your garden variety enemy (Hey, your Spider-Man, you should be able to) and the criticisms regarding difficulty are probably on the money as well.

As a Spidey fan, the content of Gerstmann's review suggests I will love this game, but they would be remiss if they glossed over the gameplay faults (even if those faults are the result of staying true to the character of Spider-Man)
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 03:49:01 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Anyway, Gerstmann is the worst Gamespot reviewer.  He's the one that famously gave Shenmue a bad score, GS got a bunch of hate mail and then someone else had to do a new review of it and Gerstmann's review went to vapor...never to be seen again.  I just wish Gamespot had a way to look up reviews via writer, I want to see Gerstmann's list.  He has been spot on at times, but he has some glaringly bad reviews from a score perspective.

Well I do agree about the repetitiveness of the sidequests.  I have a feeling the mainquests will be short, and all you have left is the sidequests are mostly the same.    However I do think they scored it too low, I'd give it a low 8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: