http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 12:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of Neverwinter Nights 2...  (Read 12481 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:45:22 PM »

Thanks to Mitch posting this on the Front page/News page (which I am actually starting to look at from time to time)...

Link

Plus, there are some newish screenshots up at the official site, ya' know... for those interested.  (although you may need to sign up to view them)

NWN 2 Homepage

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:18:38 PM »

Armors are looking much better. I always hated that NWN armors seemed to be modeled on D&D the movie.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »

I am really looking forward to this. Even though I only dabbled at best at the multiplayer aspect of the game (but Ron and I had a lot of fun when we did), and never pulled any addons (shame on me, I know), I am REALLY looking forward to this game. The first NWN and their expansions are fantastic pieces of work.

While I have your attention, anybody have some direct links to some must have free addons? I might start this up again... biggrin

And nevermind - just noticed a bunch of top rated mods/modules on the link on the front page. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 10:08:19 PM »

There are also a bunch of new screenshots at NWN2 News.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 02:57:56 PM »

I can hardly wait for this to come out, more RPG goodness!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 05:35:08 PM »

And there's more!

Link to Gamespot

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »

I have to say that I am less than impressed with the screenshots of this game.  Obviously it's not meant to compete with "graphic whore" FPS games, but it seems that even The Witcher, which is based off the NWN1 engine, looks more impressive visually.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 01:35:54 AM »

I'm surprised Engine, I think the screenshots are looking quite good, and holding up well-either way I think the test of time for the screenies is going to be how the game looks zoomed out. While that may seem a little odd, you will undoubtedly play most of this game from a relatively zoomed-out perspective. The sharper, crisper, and more detailed the graphcis look from that view, the more impressed I think we will all be. Either way, I think this one is going to be very good. The Obsidian pedigree is strong.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:21:10 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 15, 2006, 01:35:54 AM

The Obsidian pedigree is strong.

As true as that is, the Atari publishing record is weak. frown I have heavy fears that Atari is going to shove yet another game out of the door early. And after the gutted ending of KotOR 2 when the publisher forced Obsidian to chuck that game out early, I'm left fearing that the same could happen with this title too.

Obsidian is a very talented group. They just need a publisher who will let them do what they do best, and not rush them or force them to cut content to make deadlines.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 03:07:45 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on August 15, 2006, 02:21:10 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 15, 2006, 01:35:54 AM

The Obsidian pedigree is strong.

As true as that is, the Atari publishing record is weak. frown I have heavy fears that Atari is going to shove yet another game out of the door early. And after the gutted ending of KotOR 2 when the publisher forced Obsidian to chuck that game out early, I'm left fearing that the same could happen with this title too.

Obsidian is a very talented group. They just need a publisher who will let them do what they do best, and not rush them or force them to cut content to make deadlines.
Oh I agree with you completely, it just appears that this time they are letting Obsidian do the job. I didn't want the game to be delayed, but even one extra month for polishing can do nothing but make it a tad better, and the game has been in development for some time. I have high hopes!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 12, 2006, 06:02:19 PM

I have to say that I am less than impressed with the screenshots of this game.  Obviously it's not meant to compete with "graphic whore" FPS games, but it seems that even The Witcher, which is based off the NWN1 engine, looks more impressive visually.

Unless they've changed radically, everything you see in the NWN 2 campaign should be buildable using the editor which is going to limit the graphics compared to something like The Witcher which doesn't need to make that consideration.  With those limitations, I think the NWN 2 screenshots look damn fine. 
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »

You have to give Atari credit where it's due though.  NWN had FANTASTIC support from Bioware with Atari's backing.  I don't see why it would be different this time around.  You never know though. 

Just Hiro will do.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 03:42:17 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on August 15, 2006, 03:37:09 PM

You have to give Atari credit where it's due though.  NWN had FANTASTIC support from Bioware with Atari's backing.  I don't see why it would be different this time around.  You never know though. 

Because Bioware shouldered the load- they have the resources to handle the support in house, something that companies like Obsidian and Troika usually don't.  Bioware was able to get both Atari and Lucasarts to push their products back six months or more, which is something that the Obsidian and Troika couldn't. 

I'll be honest- I'm looking forward very much to NWN 2's single player campaign but given that Obsidian isn't nearly as "powerful" as Bioware and Atari's very shaky financial ground, I think the long term support and community involvement will pale in comparison t the first game. 
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 03:47:40 PM »

Boy, that just got a huge, "oh oh" from me.

Just Hiro will do.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 05:38:05 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on August 15, 2006, 03:47:40 PM

Boy, that just got a huge, "oh oh" from me.

Me too.  I didn't know it was being produced out of house.   KOTOR 2 was a disaster.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 01:59:42 AM »

Here are some "direct feed" videos (whatever that means) from Gamespy if you haven't seen them yet.

Link to Gamespy 

LD

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 02:54:45 AM »

All I know is that a friend of mine is a designer at Obsidian for the game, and knowing his stuff I'll buy this game sight unseen.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 03:32:23 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 17, 2006, 01:59:42 AM

Here are some "direct feed" videos (whatever that means) from Gamespy if you haven't seen them yet.
Usually 'direct feed' stands for how they're recording the video footage via a cable conntected into their recording device. In other words, they hook the video output of a console directly into their video camera and record that, instead of recording a TV showing the footage.

Of course, that term means absolutely nothing when it comes to showing something that's on the PC...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 05:06:32 AM »

Oh I am buying this day one. There's not a single doubt in my mind about that.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 11:49:59 AM »

Thanks for the education Destructor.

I actually watched the direct feed videos and thought they looked really good (albeit short).  Did anyone else see them and think, "Wow, that action is moving kind of fast for a D&D game?"   :icon_confused:

The fact that we will now have the ability to directly control all the party characters as well as our character definately necessitates the need for a 'Pause & Issue Orders' mode in my opinion.  I am certainly glad it has that feature.  In some ways, this game is reminding me of a cross between Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.  Man, I hope it's good!

LD

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »

Anyone else interested in an online campaign for this game?  Or at least running through some premade modules in co-op?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 17, 2006, 12:15:51 PM

Anyone else interested in an online campaign for this game?  Or at least running through some premade modules in co-op?

I would be in for that provided my PC can run the game.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 12:45:46 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 17, 2006, 12:15:51 PM

I think that would be a blast.  If someone takes the time to organize it, you can probably count me in.

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 02:04:11 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 17, 2006, 11:49:59 AM

I actually watched the direct feed videos and thought they looked really good (albeit short).  Did anyone else see them and think, "Wow, that action is moving kind of fast for a D&D game?"   :icon_confused:

The fact that we will now have the ability to directly control all the party characters as well as our character definately necessitates the need for a 'Pause & Issue Orders' mode in my opinion.  I am certainly glad it has that feature.  In some ways, this game is reminding me of a cross between Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.  Man, I hope it's good!

Yeah, it looked rather fast. Or fast compared to what I was used to seeing in NVN1. But with the ability to pause at any time, I forsee no problems. I so can't wait for this. I'm a total D&D geek (who absolutely hated the D&D MMO).

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »

Hell yeah, I would be interested

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 04:17:57 PM »

Some pretty new screenshots at ShackNews if you want to have a looksee...

Click Me! Click Me!

LD

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 04:56:42 PM »

It's certainly not cutting edge, state of the art technology (in fact, that engine is quite old at this point), but I think it looks sharp, the spell effects and special effects are great, and the UI looks great, minus some pretty horrible and too large fonts. Still, looks good to me.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 06:01:18 PM »

I think I agree with you Cal.  I'm not blown away by any stretch, and the screenshots of the character models pale in comparison to some of the scenery shots I have seen.  The thing I find funny is so many of the screenshots shown are zoomed way in, sort of like you would see if playing WoW or EQ2.  I never plan on playing the game in any way other than the isometric, classic NWN view, so I'm not too worried (yet).

I wonder what the overall concensus is over at the bioware boards regarding how the game is looking. 

LD

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 06:04:12 PM »

I wasn't blown away by the original NWN graphics when it first launched either. In fact, I thought they kind of sucked.
The great thing about NWN is the gameplay with friends and the story lines. True RPG goodness.

Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »

Those are some of the worst character portraits I've seen in a long time.  The font is horrible.  Otherwise, it should look decent enough zoomed out.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 02:20:44 PM »

Need D&D RPG....now!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2006, 01:11:04 AM »

And since you all know how I feel about these ridiculous collector's edition rings...

Here is a picture of them.

- - - - - -

And if anyone comes into this thread and says, "Hmm... Actually, I think those are pretty cool looking!",  I swear to God....

. . .

LD

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 01:22:23 AM »

Hmmm...Actually,....

I jest!  I jest!

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 01:33:05 AM »

icon_lol

On another note, did you guys happen to see that these modders actually made ridable  horses for NWN now?  Something Bioware themselves said would be very difficult to do. 

These guys are amazing!  How long has the original NWN been out now?!?!?!

Check It Out

Oh... and here's a good read at UGO if you want to read something else on NWN2.

Link
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:45:07 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 02:00:51 AM »

I think the rings that come with the CE are actually kinda cool looking, but the game I saw at Dragoncon was not very impressive.  Sorry, but Oblivion spoiled me.  Maybe I can buy those cool looking rings seperately...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »

Quote from: Temjin on August 23, 2006, 09:47:27 PM

Those are some of the worst character portraits I've seen in a long time.  The font is horrible.  Otherwise, it should look decent enough zoomed out.
Yeah.  Those graphics...suck.  I am surprised.  Oh well.  I hope the game is fun and more BG2 and less NWN.

As for Collector's Edition stuff.  Give me a better/nicer manual and/or more reference/reading material about the game.  That is literally all I care about.  Cheap trinkets do nothing for me.  Nice maps are cool in theory, but they are usually useless.  Art books are ok I guess.  'The making of...' DVDs do not do it for me either, nor do soundtrack CDs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:33:39 PM by olaf » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2006, 06:29:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2006, 02:00:51 AM

I think the rings that come with the CE are actually kinda cool looking, but the game I saw at Dragoncon was not very impressive.  Sorry, but Oblivion spoiled me.  Maybe I can buy those cool looking rings seperately...

Don't make me pull that 50 DKP minus picture again.  icon_biggrin

The thing to keep in mind though is that these two games (Oblivion and NN2) are completely different games. One is known for it's vast, open world, while the other is a more 'standard' RPG game based on the D&D license. Completely different play and visual styles as a result.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 08:51:48 AM »

And yet, it's possible to make an Oblivion style open world with enough scripting from modders.

Although NWN has always been about PnP style crafted adventures or GM run games.  Since I'm buying this game, I'll step up now and say I'll run a bi-monthly NWN RP session.  The only reason I have the time to do this is that NWN2 automates all the tedious aspects of GMing.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2006, 11:59:46 AM »

That sounds like fun, Turtle.

I wonder how big groups can be in this game?  I'm hoping pretty big.

LD

siege

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2006, 06:01:25 AM »

Wow. Those graphics are pretty awful. The character models being the most offensive. What's up with those portraits?  crybaby

I haven't really followed the game much until now, since it's close to release, but I'm quite worried. Doing some digging, I found the system requirements and they seem way too high for what those screenshots are showing me.

3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1GB System RAM
ATI Radeon X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or higher video card
[edit]Minimum system requirements
Windows XP
512MB System RAM
2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card with DirectX 9.0c compatible driver
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
4.6GB free hard disk space
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print