http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 06:19:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Siege (demo)  (Read 3476 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »

I see that there is now a demo available for Space Siege, which is Gas Powered Games' somewhat follow-up to the Dungeon Siege games.  In space.  See what they did there?  slywink  You can check out more info from the official site if you haven't heard of it.

I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet, but it's available over at the NVIDIA site and probably everywhere else soon.  Download is just about one gig.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:16:19 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »

Potion Drinking in SPACE!!!!  Tongue  I'd like it to be a really good Sci-Fi RPG but I'm not getting my hopes up til I play the demo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »

Thanks little Psychonauts dude, I am downloading now!

Bael
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »

i must force myself to try this.  sounds like it could be a fun diversion.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

I found it horrible. Crappy camera angle and no WASD movement what so ever.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:52:55 PM »

I've got high hopes. I need something to tide me over until Diablo 3 comes out. And I actually enjoyed both Dungeon Siege games to an extent, though I definitely agree with the common criticisms (The game that plays itself! World's best potion-drinking simulator!)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »

I cant install it..it wants a lot of room on C for setup..in this day and age doing that is bullshit. I dont have any free room on C..its just my OS partition..I have about 700 gigs free on other drives though. Stupid thing.

EDIT: well now I got that part fixed and its ready to install...but no matter what drive I choose it says not enough room. It says it needs 750 megs free and the 2 drives I try to put it on have over 400,000 megs free...damnit!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:59:56 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »

I enjoyed the demo very much.  I do think there should be wasd movement controls.  However, it wasn't a problem.  It plays a lot like Diablo.  Also, the game does not play itself.  Didn't have to drink potions constantly or whatever.  Again, it wasn't any worse than the potion drinking in Diablo.  I liked the different upgrades that were available.  I have to say, it was fun.  Shooting and dodging enemy fire.  Throwing grenades and using special powers when surrounded.  It was pretty cool over all.  Camera angle wasn't a problem for me.  I wasn't all that interested in the game before, but I just might pick it up now.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:01:01 AM »

Cross post from OO.

Runs ok on a AMD 4400+, 2gigs, 7800GTX at 1024x768 everything set to high. Not the smoothest, but very playable. Vista recommends a score of 5.0 for it, my computer is a 4.8.

It's fun, I like it. You just run around and shoot stuff, switch to your laser sword thing for close up battles, and you have a list of skills numbered 1-0 you can use. Very hack and slash as you would expect. Enemies drop parts that are basically just points you can use at a workbench. You spend them to improve your weapons, armor, etc. You also have a skill tree but I didn't play around with it. I did pick up a bionic arm, and the "pilot" told me to install it immediately but I couldn't figure out where it was let alone how to install it.

While the part system is ok, I would much rather get loot. They could do a combination of parts and loot and things would be much better.

Graphics are ok, nothing special. They don't look any better than DSII that's for sure (unless my memory is faulty) which I could run in 1600x1200 very smoothly.

I barely even noticed the sound, besides the occasional voice or explosion, so I can't really comment on it.

Didn't like the camera, but I think that is partly because my computer couldn't run it as smooth as it should be. You need to change the camera angle constantly using ASWD as you go down hallways to get a good view. I find it kind of sloppy on my computer and was struggling to get a good camera angle while fighting. It was also easy to rotate the screen on accident in combat by moving your cursor to close to the edge.

You can't zoom out near enough for my tastes. You can zoom in for an over the shoulder view, but then you can't see whats going around you so it's pointless.

Not sure if I will buy it, maybe after I upgrade for Fallout 3 and Diablo 3.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:31:21 AM »

How many games is GPG working on?  I recall they're a pretty small shop despite the number of titles they put out, not to mention they don't put in crazy hours like other studios.

I wonder if this move to the parts system instead of a more in-depth system with loot, and more distinct parts was to cut down on design and balance man hours needed to fine tune such a system.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 30, 2008, 06:01:01 AM

Runs ok on a AMD 4400+, 2gigs, 7800GTX at 1024x768 everything set to high. Not the smoothest, but very playable. Vista recommends a score of 5.0 for it, my computer is a 4.8.

And Vista's 'score thing' is deemed useless in the end, as that's the max 'score' you can get. Sure didn't take long.

Or is it 6...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »

Still no worky. next time I rebuild my system Im making the C drive at least 100 gigs instead of 10

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 30, 2008, 06:31:21 AM

How many games is GPG working on?  I recall they're a pretty small shop despite the number of titles they put out, not to mention they don't put in crazy hours like other studios.

I wonder if this move to the parts system instead of a more in-depth system with loot, and more distinct parts was to cut down on design and balance man hours needed to fine tune such a system.

After watching the Demigod trailer and playing the Space Siege demo, it really looks like Demigod got an unfair share of the studio resources.  Still, if Demigod is good I can forgive them for that.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »

A first person shooter Space Siege mighta been cool too. Sorta like the old Genestealers game. One giant colony ship with vents and corridors like from the movie Alien.

Damn now I want a new Aliens vs Predator game but with just a marine campaign yet again.

Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »

Ok, so I dled the demo, but ran into something odd when I tried to install it.  I got some kind of "Symantec Download Manager" which was going to give me a "key" I could retain.  I killed the install at this point because I had no idea what was going on.  A few months ago I switched from Norton to NOD32 as my AV.  Is this something left over from my old Norton AV install that the demo has managed to activate, or is this really connected to Space Siege somehow?  Thanks for any info.

EDIT:  I deleted the SS demo from nVidia, dled the one from Gamershell, and installed it with no problem.  I don't know what the issue was with the nVidia demo version.  It essentially put an icon for the Norton Internet Security 2007 installer on my desktop....that's when I killed the demo install.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:36:41 PM by Corvus Corax » Logged
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 09:26:19 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 30, 2008, 05:48:07 PM

Quote from: Lee on July 30, 2008, 06:01:01 AM

And Vista's 'score thing' is deemed useless in the end, as that's the max 'score' you can get. Sure didn't take long.

Or is it 6...

It's 6, and MS said they will increase the scale upwards as necessary.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 30, 2008, 07:58:56 PM

Sorta like the old Genestealers game.

Space Hulk?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 30, 2008, 10:35:46 PM

Space Hulk?

ya dat iz it smile

Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 30, 2008, 10:36:36 PM

Space Hulk?

ya dat iz it smile

Spacehulk and Spacehulk 2 are both favs of mine.  There's an even earlier Spacehulk game (late '80's?), but the name escapes me ("Space Marines," maybe).  Somebody's recently done a freebie, updated version of Spacehulk too.  The Spacehulk games were my introduction to the WH40K universe....a place where I'd prefer to spend most of my gaming time.
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on July 29, 2008, 09:52:47 PM

I enjoyed the demo very much.  I do think there should be wasd movement controls.  However, it wasn't a problem.  It plays a lot like Diablo.  Also, the game does not play itself.  Didn't have to drink potions constantly or whatever.  Again, it wasn't any worse than the potion drinking in Diablo.  I liked the different upgrades that were available.  I have to say, it was fun.  Shooting and dodging enemy fire.  Throwing grenades and using special powers when surrounded.  It was pretty cool over all.  Camera angle wasn't a problem for me.  I wasn't all that interested in the game before, but I just might pick it up now.

I played the demo mission and found it a blast.  It reminds me of lots of games, Diablo, Crusader:  No Remorse/Regret, etc.  Loved the cybernetic enhancements and the mini-gun.  OTOH, the Kerak seem like derivative Zerg-types.  Like the game a lot more than the original DS (never played DS2), but then I prefer sci-fi to fantasy themes.  I'm just coming off of MEPC so I had a bit of trouble with WASD for camera instead of movement.  Wish you could save in the demo as I'd like to experiment around a bit. 
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »

Quote from: Corvus Corax on July 30, 2008, 10:44:27 PM

There's an even earlier Spacehulk game (late '80's?), but the name escapes me ("Space Marines," maybe).

Space Crusade, if I recall correctly.  It was a turn-based game in which you controlled a squad of Space Marines going up against the Genestealers.  Basically it was a turn-based version of Space Hulk.  There was also a board game, which was my introduction to WH40K.

Ah, here it is.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 31, 2008, 04:48:40 PM

Quote from: Corvus Corax on July 30, 2008, 10:44:27 PM

There's an even earlier Spacehulk game (late '80's?), but the name escapes me ("Space Marines," maybe).

Space Crusade, if I recall correctly.  It was a turn-based game in which you controlled a squad of Space Marines going up against the Genestealers.  Basically it was a turn-based version of Space Hulk.  There was also a board game, which was my introduction to WH40K.

Ah, here it is.

Yes, that's it!  Space Crusade.  I have a copy of it saved off on a CD someplace.

I've played through the Space Siege demo again.....and, you know, my excitement for this title has waned.  Looks to be very repetitive and completely on rails.  Also I'm not at all sure I like the char development model.  I guess it makes sense that humans wouldn't pick up weapons designed for glorified insects and use them effectively (i.e., no normal loot), but all the parts and workbenches....well, I don't know.  I might spring $20-30 for this title, but $50 (Gamestop's preorder price) seems a bit excessive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:08:02 PM by Corvus Corax » Logged
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 05:47:43 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 30, 2008, 10:36:36 PM

Space Hulk?

ya dat iz it smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk_(video_game)

I loved Space Hulk - I tried the free game a while back (can't find it now). But unfortunately it seemed to be a very poor immitation

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »

Downloaded the nvidia demo... not sure if it's different from other sources or not, but it was the version I found first, thanks to the initial post. Nearly a gig, download proceeded smoothly. Installation smooth, didn't notice any funny business with the installer, although it did install directx without asking, which made me a bit nervous, considering I'm running wine via linux. But it doesn't seem to have borked anything.

Miracle of miracles, the sucker worked with no funny business involving Wine, which is unusual. VERY.. I was expecting to hopefully get a few minutes of gameplay out of it before something went wrong.. in fact, I played through it three times before I finally got an exception out of it, as I was shutting it down the second time after 'finishing up'

Game could have potential. Nice environments, good graphics. Liked the intro video/ingame video... good meshing.

To repeat.. the graphics are really nice. Good lighting, easy to see, yet there are also 'dark' spots.
(edit: visual style reminds me of Oni, if anyone remembers that one)

Oh... had to turn off shadows... not working quite correctly via my wine setup.. was seeing models through walls, etc etc. Horrible performance. I won't blame the demo though.

Movement and firing seem a bit weak... I played Dungeon Siege, and didn't have as much trouble, for some reason. And I definitely wish that you could shoot while moving, but it doesnt seem to happen.

I dislike the fact that your guy just stands there if stuff gets into melee... in Dungeon Siege, you'd automatically fight back against anything that ran up to take a chunk out. In fact, I remember there were AI settings to adjust how your fought, although the effect seemed a bit limited. In particular I remember it not 'seeing' enemies, until they were quite close to you, so if you were a ranged fighter of any type, you pretty much had to manually target.

Audio seemed good on playback.. no funny business there.. think it's a software audio engine since there are no obvious hardware controls in the game. It runs good though.

Inventory... meh, there really isn't one. If you click on the gunslot(s) on the lower left of your screen near the health meter, it brings up a hex based inventory where your different weapon types obviously go.. but that seems to be it. Everything else appears to be based on upgrading yourself via the 'upgrade materials' that are getting left laying after exploding things. No armor pieces, though you do seem to 'find' cybernetic options.

Also... though the guns in the demo seem to have infinite ammo, ammunition is mentioned (cybernetic upgrades can affect your weapons ammo capacity?)... somethings off here, or else the demo is slightly different from what the game is going to offer.

Doesn't seem to be a way to _quickly_ switch weapons... say if you ran out of ammunition at an inopportune time.

Hmm.. I'd give it an 75% or so, but it does look like it would have the potential to get boring a bit quickly, with the lack of an item system. I'm sure they'll get the movement/targeting/firing tweaked a bit before final release.

Overall, it looks like it has potential, though I wouldn't want to shell 50$ for it. 20-30? Maybe.

Atomic

PS: I did find the viewing angles a bit restrictive, especially when going UP a flight of stairs.. you can't see what's above you at all... and I mentioned the movement beforehand. WASD movement controls would have been nice, since it would allow you to adjust with one hand, and shoot with the other. Especially since it doesnt seem to shoot while you're moving. I suppose they had to make a compromise with the screen rotation... although sitting here thinking about it, I could see WASD working... since you can already 'push' the screen left/right by running the mouse past that side of the screen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:53:11 PM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »

It still refuses to install on any drive for me even though I have like 400,000 megs more than it needs.

Click to enlarge pic.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 12:37:40 AM »

played the demo.  it wasn't too bad, but I'll be waiting until I can get it for under 30 bucks.

I kept on trying to use WASD to move-  too bad they didn't make those the movement keys.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 02, 2008, 10:03:35 PM

It still refuses to install on any drive for me even though I have like 400,000 megs more than it needs.

I assume that's because it needs to uncompress to your C: drive first which from reading your other posts seems to be the issue. Try changing your TEMP environment variable (and/or maybe TMP) to point to a drive with more free space.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 04:17:46 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 03, 2008, 01:32:42 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on August 02, 2008, 10:03:35 PM

I assume that's because it needs to uncompress to your C: drive first which from reading your other posts seems to be the issue. Try changing your TEMP environment variable (and/or maybe TMP) to point to a drive with more free space.

Sounds good MF. How ya do that? I cant find it with Google. The only thing I find is changing my temp internet folder not my main system folder. Id love to put it on one of the huge drives. Would solve a lot of other headaches from me making my OS partition so small a few years ago. Ive been holding off on a format till I upgrade.

BTW though..is'nt this a problem with the installer for the game..and any other game....wanting tp use C or is it just looking for where my system says TMP or TEMP is?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:19:33 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »

Ok wait. I found it under control panel / system. I have it changed,..Ill try to install and see what happens..

EDIT: Its installing! Thanks for that Monkey. Woot! smile
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:36:12 PM by Daehawk » Logged

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 12:27:34 AM »

It's just looking for TEMP and lots of programs will do that, WinZip is a good example or any installer that first needs to unpack things somewhere.

Glad you got it sorted out.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 05:04:54 AM »

Update: If you rightclick on an empty area with no npc's under the cursor, your guy will autofire at the closest target. Helps a bit with the faster moving critters.

Atomic
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »

Is this out yet/today?  Any impressions of the release version?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 06:37:44 PM »

IGN gave it a 6.4.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: