http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:08:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Rangers 2?  (Read 5603 times)
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2005, 09:43:11 PM »

I've seen a couple reviews and info on Space Rangers 1 and 2.  Where in the heck to I buy them?  I see space Rangers 1 at gogamer.com but not 2.  I'd like to get 2 since it seems like 1 comes with it anyway.  Can anyone tell me where to get this?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 09:47:27 PM »

Yeah, kind of confusing.  Gogamer's Space Rangers is Space Rangers 2, which includes 1.
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:08:02 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Yeah, kind of confusing.  Gogamer's Space Rangers is Space Rangers 2, which includes 1.

Ahh Nice.  I guess I could've looked at the picture of the box and seen the "2" huh?   :lol:

Anyway thanks for the help and NICE avatar YOJIMBO! (or Mifune or Toshiro or ...)  smile

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 12:13:52 AM »

Well,have you got it yet? :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

Yah! Just got it today...  Took a break from my freakin' greuling schedule to play tonight... I love it!  Details later if you're interested...

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 03:24:14 PM »

I've got a 100 hours into it or more. It really sucks you in. It has the Starforce protection and I wouldn't have gotten it if i had realized it at the time but I took a chance(as I already had the game) and the Starforce hasn't hosed my system this time so I'm having a blast with the game.

Ye Olde Farte
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 05:53:29 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
I've got a 100 hours into it or more. It really sucks you in. It has the Starforce protection and I wouldn't have gotten it if i had realized it at the time but I took a chance(as I already had the game) and the Starforce hasn't hosed my system this time so I'm having a blast with the game.

/cough told you so /cough smile
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 07:41:34 PM »

Starforce has hosed a computer of mine in the past,but this latest version seems to be okay,at least with this particular computer.

Ye Olde Farte
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 08:50:59 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Starforce has hosed a computer of mine in the past,but this latest version seems to be okay,at least with this particular computer.

Thats good! I am glad you are enjoying SR2-when I can justify the purchase I know I will jump all over it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 01:57:38 PM »

This is becoming a rarer and rarer thing for me to say about PC RPGs, (as if it wasn't rare enough already), but...

<drumroll>

This game is fantastic.  Buy it!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 02:07:15 PM »

Just ordered it myself.

Really looking forward to jumping in.  Do you control one ship or fleets of ships?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 02:14:15 PM »

You just control one ship.However,you can have extra companions that more of less follow you around and help you with attacks and such. Altho personally I've always played the lone wolf type.  :?

Ye Olde Farte
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 03:21:58 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Just ordered it myself.

Really looking forward to jumping in.  Do you control one ship or fleets of ships?

LD

If you bump up your Leadership skill, you can subsidize other Rangers to be your wingmen.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 06:29:33 PM »

Excellent.  What website do you guys go to in order to read up on stuff for the game?  It's originally not a U.S. game, right?  Are there websites out there that an English only reading person can go to?

Oh, and what are the starting "classes"?  I'm sure there is like Fighter and Trader, right?  Are there other choices also?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 06:53:04 PM »

Excellent.  What website do you guys go to in order to read up on stuff for the game?  It's originally not a U.S. game, right?  Are there websites out there that an English only reading person can go to?

Oh, and what are the starting "classes"?  I'm sure there is like Fighter and Trader, right?  Are there other choices also?

LD
OO's got a FAQ and a discussion thread, Qt3 has a discussion thread too.  There's no English strategy guide or anything, or even really a forum/site that I've seen (in English).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 07:26:10 PM »

There's this official forum.

As far as classes, you choose from fighter/privateer/merchant/corsair/pirate at the beginning, but this just affects your starting ship, equipment, and racial relations.  Once you get playing, your actions will determine your title, like Ranger-Brigand, Hero, etc.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 03:34:52 AM »

I checked out the movies on their site.  Is the RTS combat as fast as it looks in the movie?  It seems a little bit too crazy for my liking.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 06:22:04 AM »

The RTS ground combat really isn't a central part of the game. Rather, it's just one of the many little extras scattered about. Also, they're purely optional.

Now black holes are a different matter. Those things're crazy.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 12:00:44 PM »

Black holes are also completely optional, in case he's scared you. :)
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »

I've done a few black holes but for the most part just ignore them. After the initial training mission I've left the planet RTS things alone.

Ye Olde Farte
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Black holes are also completely optional, in case he's scared you. smile
Are they, though?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm pretty sure you have to beat Keller, one of the three Dominator hive-minds, in a black hole.  I was in a system when Keller personally invaded via a black hole -- it was like this gigantic rotating tetrahedal ship that never strayed far from the hole, and just launched/ordered other Dominator ships around.  I flew over near him and he retreated into the hole, so I dove in after him -- definitely a fight that was way over my head, there were like 6-8 Dominator ships in there, mostly smaller ones you see in black holes like Fighters or Corvettes, but there were a couple Battleships and of course Keller itself, who had a life bar four or five times longer than anyone else and some nasty, but avoidable, weapons.  Anyway, I realized I couldn't win so I started flying around desperately when I this weird mark at the end of this corridor that was behind several of those energy barriers you can destroy the generators for.  I blew up the barriers and flew over the mark and I was launched out of the hole and the hole closed, stopping the invasion -- though I barely escaped with my life.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 05:37:27 PM »

I'm really enjoying this game.  It's been a while since I've had anything on the PC really pull me in like this.  It took me a few nights of just messing around until I started figuring out exactly how I wanted to approach it.  But after figuring out how to generate some trade revenue I've found my groove.  I can't say enough about how much I'm enjoying this great game.  The threads over on OO really help out alot too, especially the FAQ.
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 05:42:21 PM »

I have never heard of this game...  reading about it, is it like an RPG with Morrowind like freedom, or what? :?:
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 06:12:22 PM »

Quote from: "Eno"
I have never heard of this game...  reading about it, is it like an RPG with Morrowind like freedom, or what? :?:

Its kind of like a turn-based top-down ELITE.  With an optional RTS ground battle dealy.

I love the way they set up the turn-based system BTW.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 06:25:57 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
The RTS ground combat really isn't a central part of the game. Rather, it's just one of the many little extras scattered about. Also, they're purely optional.

Now black holes are a different matter. Those things're crazy.

Is it any good though? Damn this game sounds intriguing.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 07:26:20 PM »

The RTS portion is good, not great or terribly deep, but still fun.  You get to design your robots from different weapons, torsos, etc.  The resources are generated automatically as long as you control a base.  The more bases the more resources and more units you can build.  From there you want to capture the enemy bases.  Simple and doesn't distract you from the main game for too long.  Or you can choose to skip this part of the game.

But it's amazing how many types of gameplay it encompasses.  The main portion is a turn based space exploration/trading/fighting game.  There are 5 factions, 5 classes and 6 skills that define your character.  There are many types of hulls you can which you then deck out with all sorts of weapons, engines, fuel tanks, radars, artifacts, repair robots, etc.  You can choose to be a trader, a fighter/mercenary, a pirate or any combination.  The factions will also change their attitude towards you based on your actions in the game.  Some might even throw you in jail.  There's the RTS ground battles, the real time top-down Black Hole fights ala Star Control 2 and the text adventures including things like running a ski resort, surviving in prison and entering a pizza making contest.

I like it because I can sit down for 10 minutes and get something done or sit and play for a few hours.  There's so much to do that's it can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you get the money flowing it's superb.  Snag it from GoGamer (don't use MediaMail for shipping unless you want to wait 2 weeks) or your local Fry's as some have reported seeing it there.

EDIT:  As a bonus you get the entire Space Rangers 1 game on the disc as well.  SR2 uses StarForce (SR1 doesn't) but I don't think anyone's reported a problem with this version.  Even its sworn enemy dbt says it's running good. smile
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 12:43:08 AM »

Okay, is it just me, or does the battle music sound very similar to Star Control 2's melee song? Might be a homage.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kraegor2
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »

fry's has copies of Space Rangers.
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2005, 05:54:30 AM »

Alright, temptation building...

So, how different is SR2 vs SR1?  Looking at screens you have the whole RTS affair.  Does that add a bit?  Overall better game?  SR1 has failed to catch my attention so far.  Mostly because I feel lost I guess.  Also a lot of the buttons dont have any kind of feedback as to what they do.  The large amount of reading so far turns me off a bit too (news, tech fluff, etc).
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 07:47:53 AM »

You don't do any less reading in Space Rangers 2.  I don't know if SR1 has the text adventure missions, but there is a lot of those in SR2.  In fact, those are one of my favorite things.  They suffer a tad due to poor translation, but all in all, they are fun.

The RTS adds a an RTS struggle with mech building and territory grabbing to the game.  And there are probes in SR2, which allow you to explore uninhabited planets and gather "trash" that other pilots have dumped on the planet and sell it off.

I don't know if black holes are in SR1 either, but they are a nifty little shooter game as well.

I find myself skimming the words and picking out the important stuff most of the time now, except for those text adventures.  Those need to be carefully read.

The only problem I have with the game at all is not being able to save during those text adventures and the RTS battles.  The black hole missions are pretty quick, so they don't get annoying.  But to fight for a half hour in an RTS battle and lose can be frustrating, as can having to restart a text adventure from the start every time you fail.

Now, you might think I don't like the game from all that above, but I do.  Like I said, I like the text adventures a lot, and the RTS battles are a nice diversion, and the rest of the game is top notch also.  I have had nothing but fun so far, and even the most frustrating do over with the text adventures has been fun for me.  If it wasn't fun despite the flaws, I wouldn't still be playing it.

If they could just get a perfect english translation, and add saves to those Adventure and RTS missions, I think it would be the perfect game.  As it is, I am having more fun with it that with anything else I have bought lately.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2005, 09:10:17 AM »

I think probes are also new to SR2.  They allow you to analyze unpopulated planets and harvest it.  

Tips that scored me some quick cash:

If you're having trouble getting started I recommend doing the government missions but bypassing the 'blow this ship up' and 'protect this ship' ones until you have better equipment.  Just take the cargo runs and the text missions.  

Also, find a system with a business center and get a close-system analysis.  You'll get one good run and maybe a second run out of it.  Save before you purchase the goods in case you lose money.  When you're doing the runs leave enough of your combat equipment at the originating planet to free up maximum space.

Avoid combat until you have upgraded your weapons and defenseive equipment.  I find two missle throwers and a frag cannon to be quite effective.  They spend most of their time trying to shoot down the missles.

Keep an eye out for equipment that takes up <30 space and snag it.  This enables you to have room for more equipment and still have some cargo room to snag random objects.

Don't use boosters unless in an emergency.  The accellerated damage to your engine gets very costly.

Doing these things helped me score a lot of cash quickly early on.  Good luck!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2005, 04:17:37 PM »

I'm playing through the first game right now.  Is there any way I can leave extra equipment on planets?  I'm looking for the life of me because i would love to free up some space but I can't find anywhere that will let me do this.  Was this just an improvement for SR2?
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2005, 05:31:44 AM »

Yes, open the Ship screen when you're on a planet/base.  It's the Storage tab in the lower left.  You can leave things in here indefinitely.  Also, a nice feature is that it puts a permanent note on your info bar telling you exactly where everything is located.  Careful leaving the stuff on a base though because the Dominators will blow those up when they attack a system.

Edit: Just noticed that you are playing SR1.  I have no idea if the storeage available in the first one.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 12:35:55 PM »

My game finally arrived yesterday.  All I have really done is loaded it and done maybe the first 2 parts of the tutorial, which basically is nothing really.

Just the "feel" of the game, the way it is set up, the overall presentation, etc... makes me think I am really going to like it.  I am very excited to get home tonight and dig in a bit.

I chose a Male Human Merc.  Chose a Rocket Launcher and the Upgraded Grabber.  Chose the economy/trade based starting statistics.  As you can see, I have no real direction planned for my Ranger.  I plan on spending the first bunch of turns exploring and kind of figuring out what I want to do.  

I find it kind of funny how the opening movie really, really got me excited to play the game.  Compared to the stuff Blizzard et al. are putting out, the movie is not even in the same league, but somehow, it just was so dang fun to watch.  It's hard to explain really.

Are you guys who have played for awhile finding the game as "open ended" as you originally thought?  From what I read and understood, you could ignore the Dominator story-line completely if you wanted to, and focus on being a Merchant/Trader, a Pirate, etc...  Sort of like a big sandbox in space.  Do you still feel this is true, or does the game push you towards an end-game type of thing?  Just curious.

LD

LD

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 02:15:26 PM »

I'm playing on the default difficulty settings and it seems that the Dominator balance is about 50/50 if I don't get involved.  At one point when I was doing system runs with the other Rangers we had 2/3 of the map.  You really can just ignore the main story if you wish.  In fact my friend was commenting on how he really hasn't seen too much of a story in the game at all.  But then he wasn't visiting the Ranger and Scientific bases.  

Engaging the Dominators does have some big benefits (equipment sold for big cash, exp, systems like you, etc.) but it so far isn't necessary.

And you can tweak the difficulty settings to however you want to play the game.  If you find the Dominators too annoying just turn them down before you start the next game.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 02:27:01 PM »

J -  Yep.  I noticed the difficulty settings when I started my game.  I tweaked a couple based solely on what I thought would be good for how I wanted to play.  I ended up with everything either on standard or one notch easier than standard.  

I can't remember if there are seperate attributes for Leadership and Charisma, but I think there may be.  Do you (or anyone) know what a high charisma will help you with?  I am assuming it is pricing of items, but could it/does it also affect relations with other races and things like that?

One last question... will I get "points" or something as the game goes on to put into attributes/skills?  Or are these earned automatically by what you do and how you do it?

Thanks.

LD

LD

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »

I can't remember if there are seperate attributes for Leadership and Charisma, but I think there may be.  Do you (or anyone) know what a high charisma will help you with?  I am assuming it is pricing of items, but could it/does it also affect relations with other races and things like that?

Leadership lets you have more wingmen.  Charisma boosts the $$ you get from missions, as well as aiding relations with the factions.  The Trade stat will give you more money for selling equipment.

One last question... will I get "points" or something as the game goes on to put into attributes/skills?  Or are these earned automatically by what you do and how you do it?

You gain experience in the game, and if you look at your pilot stats it will show you how much XP is needed to boost each stat up one level.  Each higher level for a stat takes more XP than the last.
Dudd
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 04:55:31 PM »

I just got this game, and am having a little bit of a problem.  For whatever reason, the intro screens cut off a decent sized potion of the right side of the screen.  For example, when I was making my main character, I couldn't figure out how to get off the screen.  Turns out that the button to continue to the next screen was 95 percent off the screen, so I didn't notice it at first.  When I got to the next screen with all the writing, a bunch of that got cut off, making it unreadable.  Anyone know what the problem is?  I have a 17in LCD with a 1280x1024 native resolution, but I've been able to run other games at non-native resolutions with no trouble.  Anyone else seen this?  Thanks.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 05:05:15 PM »

Lockdown - you'll get exp mostly from government missions but also from destroying ships.

Dudd - I am running it on my widescreen laptop.  The only res that works for me is 1028x764.  I set the RTS to the widescreen res and it cut it off too.  My only recommendation is to try some different settings if you haven't already.

What's odd for me is that I don't have any sound when I do the RTS missions.
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »

How do I liberate a system?

In my latest game the Dominators rather strangely pushed way back at the start of the game and took some of the systems right next to my home, but have since been cut off and isolated from everything.  They seem to never attack nor get attacked.

I can go in there and wipe out nearly if not all (I cant see the whole area at once on my radar) ships as they are low tech it seems still (the ones on the "front lines" are harder and more numberous).  However, the system stays thiers and I eventually leave to rearm.  Then come back and repeat as when I come back there are suddenly a lot of dominators again.  Allies seem to show up, but only to either run away afraid or to snarf up my dominator parts then run away.

I tried going to the military base to order an operation, but they just took my money and said nothing could be done.  However I dont even know where they were considering as it never asked.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: