http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Hulk: Death Wing - FPS  (Read 296 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »

Announced with trailer.  Using the Elite Company from the Dark Angels Chapter is okay I guess
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:05:32 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »

Hey, anything that isn't Ultramarines is fine by me! As a big fan of WH40k (I GM Rogue Trader and have read almost 20 books set in the universe), I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »

Considering the wonderfully detailed universe, I'm disappointed at how poorly WH40k has translated into gaming and cinema. There are so many great stories to be told, and none of it translates over well. they need to hire an extremely competent developer to nurture Warhammer.

Any why no Warhammer RPG? Mass Effect sold well, and no one is willing to take a chance?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »

I wish there was another Space Marine game instead!  Hope this is good.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 03, 2013, 04:51:47 PM

Considering the wonderfully detailed universe, I'm disappointed at how poorly WH40k has translated into gaming and cinema. There are so many great stories to be told, and none of it translates over well. they need to hire an extremely competent developer to nurture Warhammer.

Any why no Warhammer RPG? Mass Effect sold well, and no one is willing to take a chance?

Probably Games Workshop is to blame, imo.  They are very hardline when it comes to their IP

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »

Considering the wonderfully detailed universe, I'm disappointed at how poorly WH40k has translated into gaming and cinema.
This.  I think Relic did a great job with the Dawn of War RTS series but aside from those two games everything else has been mediocre to pretty bad.  Even when Relic made Space Marine it didn’t live up to its potential.

I think the problem is that there is too much backstory that you need to know to make sense of the 40k universe and if you don’t have that it is going to come across as confusing and unpleasant.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 03, 2013, 05:13:39 PM

Considering the wonderfully detailed universe, I'm disappointed at how poorly WH40k has translated into gaming and cinema.
This.  I think Relic did a great job with the Dawn of War RTS series but aside from those two games everything else has been mediocre to pretty bad.  Even when Relic made Space Marine it didn’t live up to its potential.

I think the problem is that there is too much backstory that you need to know to make sense of the 40k universe and if you don’t have that it is going to come across as confusing and unpleasant.

I think it's more a fear of that than actually that.  I think that when you get away from the "niche" category of PC RTS (what a world), the suits start worrying about dumbing it down for the masses.  Whereas, if you threw those details in, keeping the story coherent, the audience will catch up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 03, 2013, 05:54:45 PM

I think it's more a fear of that than actually that.  I think that when you get away from the "niche" category of PC RTS (what a world), the suits start worrying about dumbing it down for the masses.  Whereas, if you threw those details in, keeping the story coherent, the audience will catch up.

There is an inherent problem when it comes to bringing 40k to the masses though.  Aside from a couple exceptions there are no “good guys” in the 40k lore.  The human factions are just as bad, if not worse, than the monstrosities that they fight.

Relic bypassed this a bit with when Games workshop gave them complete creative control over the Blood Ravens.  Relic made them fairly heretical for a loyalist faction which actually made them more humane and appealing.  There were even lots of lore items in the games that alluded to the fact that they were actually descendent from a chaos faction. 

Aside from taking similar liberties most people are not going to want to play as fanatical characters who commit atrocities as part of their daily routine.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 03, 2013, 06:42:27 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 03, 2013, 05:54:45 PM

There is an inherent problem when it comes to bringing 40k to the masses though.  Aside from a couple exceptions there are no “good guys” in the 40k lore.  The human factions are just as bad, if not worse, than the monstrosities that they fight.

Relic bypassed this a bit with when Games workshop gave them complete creative control over the Blood Ravens.  Relic made them fairly heretical for a loyalist faction which actually made them more humane and appealing.  There were even lots of lore items in the games that alluded to the fact that they were actually descendent from a chaos faction. 

Aside from taking similar liberties most people are not going to want to play as fanatical characters who commit atrocities as part of their daily routine.

I think that is an excellent point, but I would use Gears of War as a counter agreement. In the first game Marcus is hardly a heroic character, but the graphics, setting, and gameplay trumped the lack of a strong main character.

Actually, Just give me Rainbow Six, but swap them out for Space Marines  and I'd be a happy camper. For an RPG, a character like Eisenhorn would make for interesting gameplay, although he could hardly be considered the typical model for a heroic lead.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 03, 2013, 06:42:27 PM

Why is GTA and GTA clones so popular then? icon_twisted
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »

That is a good point although I do feel there is a significant difference between shooting random cops who are trying to arrest you and executing every single person in a town because the local magistrate was preforming forbidden rituals and they “might” have been corrupted.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 11:29:35 PM »

I'll keep an eye on this, but the main developers previous effort, E.Y.E., didn't impress me as much as I hoped it would.  considering everyone who is involved I imagine this will fall in price fairly quickly too, so wait and see should pay off.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: