http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soul Calibur IV Release Thread  (Read 3437 times)
spigot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »

So I just picked up my pre-order for the 360 Premium Edition (have no PS3, just a 360). Comes in a swanky metal tin, comic/art book, poster, t-shirt, and a mini sharpie I have no idea what for (to autograph my own t-shirt?).

Anyways, can't wait to get home to play. Hopefully Yoda is available from the start. Would be interesting to see the character builder too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:59:47 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »

I'm planning on picking up my PS3 version here shortly.  From the reviews I've read it looks like Yoda might be a "broken" character, meaning he's so ridiculously overpowered it's not even funny.  Since he's short most attacks fly right over his head, and the IGN review said he could not be grappled at all.  If that's the case, I can see lots of people using him online to rack up wins.  It's curious that they decided to use Yoda at all.  I mean he looks really cool, but I would think that someone like Obiwan or Luke would fit better into the fighting engine.

glyc
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:56:39 PM by Glycerine » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on July 29, 2008, 07:54:22 PM

I'm planning on picking up my PS3 version here shortly.  From the reviews I've read it looks like Yoda might be a "broken" character, meaning he's so ridiculously overpowered it's not even funny.  Since he's short most attacks fly right over his head, and the IGN review said he could not be grappled at all.  If that's the case, I can see lots of people using him online to rack up wins.  It's curious that they decided to use Yoda at all.  I mean he looks really cool, but I would think that someone like Obiwan or Luke would fit better into the fighting engine.

glyc

Yeah I read that too and it'll be a problem around my household. Both my kids adore Yoda and are very accustomed to playing as him in Lego Star Wars or with him in Star Wars Miniatures. One they learn you can beat any other fighter with him, this game will just become a Yoda vs. Yoda fighting tourament. I think I'll spend my $'s instead on another mplay game that will encourage some variety or waiit untill I get a PS3.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:46:25 PM by kronovan » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:21:48 PM »

how do you pawn a character?  can you buy them back afterwards.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:26:28 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 29, 2008, 08:21:48 PM

how do you pawn a character?  can you buy them back afterwards.

Hehe...I meant pawned as in crushed, stepped on, beat the living $#@! out of, etc...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »

Oh.  You mean PWNED!

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 29, 2008, 08:34:01 PM

Oh.  You mean PWNED!

Yup... and since I spelled it wrong twice now I edited my post and replace it with 'beat'.  But my original intent was PWNED, as in what happens to me whenever I go up against my son in Super Smash Bros Brawl.  icon_confused
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 11:16:31 PM »

Yoda does sound overpowered but fun as hell to play as, at first I was pissed that the PS3 version got Vader but considering everyone says Vader is pretty lame, I'm looking forward to giving Yoda a (literal) spin. I should be picking up my copy on Thursday or Friday.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:18:13 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:12 PM »

Yoda is available from the start.

Yoda is pretty good.  I went through story and arcade mode with him.  I got beat a few times because I just don't like using him.  He is pretty cheap to fight against as well, but I beat him eventually.

The most kickass character in the game is The Apprentice.  Man he is hard to beat unless you have the right character.  He is damn fun to use, too.

I've actually found that Cervantes is the most overpowered character...at least for me anyway.  The game is a lot of fun and looks fantastic.  Don't know how much life it has, but I am sure enjoying right now.

Played a few online matches and only one had any lag at all.  Online play is very fun, but I am hearing about people using Yoda and just spamming one move over and over, but I didn't see any of that.

This game is a solid 9 in my book. 
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:31 PM »

Have it sitting in my brief case.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to pop it in tonight.  IGN's review says that Yoda is totally broken.  Apparently, he can't be thrown (even if you're playing Yoda on Yoda) and numerous attacks simply occur over his head.  Oh well.  I'm still really looking forward to playing this (since I never got a chance to play SCIII).
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:27:57 AM »

Enjoying it so far. OK, I am probably an idiot, but what do I have to do to get a critical finish? I'll have the opponent in what seems like red and hit all the buttons and nothing happens. Until they smack me for standing there like an idiot. Can I not do it the first time they are red or something?

Oh, and Yoda is a bit annoying to play against, but I didn't find him to be that over powerful.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:09:52 AM »

For anyone who's playing the 360 version, could you post some feedback on the responsiveness of the analog stick?
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:48:41 AM »

Grabbed it today for the 360 and have played a few arcade matches so far. Looks fantastic and is as much fun as I remembered.

5 achievement points for starting the game! biggrin
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 02:37:19 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 30, 2008, 01:09:52 AM

For anyone who's playing the 360 version, could you post some feedback on the responsiveness of the analog stick?

I think it's alright.  At least so far.  I play as Taki about 80% of the time, so I need it to be pretty responsive to get all her acrobatic moves clicking.  So far, it's been pretty good.  I was wasting everyone I went up against in single player until I hit the Apprentice.  Then it got painful really quick.

But we'll see how it goes.  I've barely scratched the surface of the game, so my opinion of the stick might change in time.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 02:45:45 AM »

OK - Not a big fighting gamer, but I want to see what the cool kids are doing, so I check in and read the last post from a guy talking about the responsive controls and moves of a fighting game. This same guy can't figure out how to pass in a hockey game!
 eek

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »

So far so good from the PS3 end.  Framerate is solid and the load times are reasonable.  When playing in arcade mode there is no load screen, but when playing in the other modes there is - odd.  Creating and levelling your own character is a lot of fun and there is a plethora of options available right from the start.  The only thing that struck me as odd was playing through the story mode - there are only 5 levels to it.  I plowed through it with Vader and my wife turns to me and says "Seriously?  That's it?"  I have to admit that I thought the same thing.  Controls are responsive on the analog or the D-Pad on the PS3, so no worries there.  Overall I'm pretty happy, even if I do miss the 'wander the world' mode.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »

Yeah, I can't believe the story mode is so disappointing.  I was hoping for something like the old 'cross the map and fight at different locations' kind of thing, or at least more than 5 stupid fights. 

I'm playing the 360 version and I like it.  The controls have taken a little bit to get used to (or it could be just because I never played SC3 and haven't played SC2 in quite a while).  The loading times in story mode aren't too bad (maybe 5-10 seconds if there are 4 opponents) and it looks great on my HDTV.  Messed around with the character creater a bit and it seems OK.  Maybe not as many options as I was expecting, but it will do.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »

Haven't delved into the character creator and maybe it's just me, but doing the training session with randomly created male/female characters can net you some pretty gay looking players. Picture a big burly bare-chested guy in a floral shirt with a leather strap wrapping each leg and pirate hat or a white-haired older guy with glasses and some pretty badass-looking armor for his upper torso, but then with parachute pants. icon_surprised
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:29:00 PM by spigot » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »

Quote from: spigot on July 30, 2008, 03:25:54 PM

Haven't delved into the character creator and maybe it's just me, but doing the training session with randomly created male/female characters can net you some pretty gay looking players. Picture a big burly bare-chested guy in a floral shirt with a leather strap wrapping each leg and pirate hat or a white-haired older guy with glasses and some pretty badass-looking armor for his upper torso, but then with parachute pants. icon_surprised

can you take created characters on-line?  if so I may just have to get this now.

i hate you  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 04:13:08 PM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2008, 03:30:31 PM

Quote from: spigot on July 30, 2008, 03:25:54 PM

can you take created characters on-line?  if so I may just have to get this now.

i hate you  Tongue

Time to buy then, because yes you can.  You essentially pick a fighting 'style' based on one of the other characters and then customize clothing and weapons from there.  You fight and level up which grants you other powers (guard breaker, poison, etc.).  Online all I've seen is Vader though. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 04:44:33 PM »

Hahaha, that PA is great.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 29, 2008, 09:49:52 PM

Oh.  You mean PWNED!

Yup... and since I spelled it wrong twice now I edited my post and replace it with 'beat'.  But my original intent was PWNED, as in what happens to me whenever I go up against my son in Super Smash Bros Brawl.  icon_confused

It's so cute when old-people try to sound wheat.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 05:52:01 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 30, 2008, 03:06:34 PM

Yeah, I can't believe the story mode is so disappointing.  I was hoping for something like the old 'cross the map and fight at different locations' kind of thing, or at least more than 5 stupid fights. 

Traveling across the world and fighting in stages all with different rules was the BEST part of the original Soul Calibur. Why the FUCK haven't they brought that back yet?

*sighs*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 05:54:38 PM »

The 'story' mode is a COLOSSAL let down.  5 fights, with no story at all.  In the previous iterations, at least the splash screens between fights setup what was happening.

Anyways, blew through Arcade and Story for Astaroth in about 15-20 mins, and got about half a dozen achievements right away.  My Astaroth mopped the floor with the Apprentice - he auto-blocked my first five attacks, and then it was go time. smile  Have to agree, the Star Wars stuff wore on me the the instant I saw it.  It was just a dumb inclusion.  I thought I'd just get the Yoda story out of the way, and he feels darn close to a button masher character.  (Not nearly as bad as Baek, but it's in that mold).   Also did Yoshimitsu's story, and Yoshi just doesn't feel right - I couldn't nail the Shark Attack or Door Knocker at all (Yeah,I'm a loser for playing a Tekken character in SC, I know).  Tonight, I acutally might read the manual to discover how the hell Skills work in the customization screen.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 08:07:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 30, 2008, 05:52:01 PM

Traveling across the world and fighting in stages all with different rules was the BEST part of the original Soul Calibur. Why the FUCK haven't they brought that back yet?

*sighs*

I thought that tower mode thing was supposed to incorporate some of that, no?  Maybe not.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 30, 2008, 08:07:16 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 30, 2008, 05:52:01 PM

*sighs*

I thought that tower mode thing was supposed to incorporate some of that, no?  Maybe not.

Tower mode is essentially tag team battle.  You pick 2-3 characters and battle 2-4 enemies in succession.  Not much in the way of story.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »

Quote from: Bob on July 30, 2008, 05:50:26 PM

Quote from: kronovan on July 29, 2008, 09:49:52 PM

Oh.  You mean PWNED!

It's so cute when old-people try to sound wheat.

Yeah, yeah....WTF ever...wise guy.  Tongue
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 01:31:12 AM »

Either the left or right bumper does something called SWT.  There's no explanation in the manual.  I'm sure it's something stupid obvious.

I played a ton of the original on the dreamcast, and SC4 does the original proud.   
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 02:45:16 AM »

Has anybody gotten the special finisher moves to work?  You're supposed to be able to hit LB (on the 360) or all attack buttons and get some finishing move.  Whenever I do that my guy just kind of hides his face. 

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 03:17:19 AM »

Yeah, I haven't gotten it to work yet either... we must be doing it at the wrong time... can anyone fully explain the trigger for when it will work (beyond them being red).
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 03:35:27 AM »

I haven't figured it out yet either but just read this posted on the Xbox SC forum which explains it:

It took me a while to figure out, but basically you have to keep hitting their block. Every time they block your attack, the soul orb on their health gague changes color a littl. Eventually, it will flash red. Keep hitting their block until it bursts and turns black and the enemy is defensless. Then, quickly hit LB before they come too or you hit them. You will then perform your Critical Finish. Hope this helps.

Also, someone posted a Youtube video showing how it works.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 05:01:50 AM »

As usual, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. The story mode is disappointing, but there is a ton of stuff to unlock and I'm having fun doing it.

I've gotten my ass kicked online a few times, and it's actually making me wish I had Virtua Fighter 5 online.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »

Ah, I probably accidently hit them in the middle of a combo or something... I'll have to restrain myself to get this to work.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »

I'm really enjoying the PS3 version so far.  My daughters and I have been playing it the last couple of days and have unlocked quite a bit.  It looks, sounds, and plays excellent.  The story mode is disappointing, but the Tower of Souls seems interesting.  My kids love the character creation tool, it has tons of options and is easy to use.

To do a soul crush just keep hitting your opponent's guard over and over until the orb is red and flashing.  Once that happens each attack has a chance of breaking through their guard and leaving them defenseless.  When you hear the crushing noise, then see your opponent reel back, you have to tap the L1 quickly to pull it off.  I can't stress quickly enough, you have a split-second to hit the button or you have to start hitting their guard again.  The critical finishers themselves seem pretty cool, although not over the top.

I have a question as well.  Does anyone know what leveling up a style gets you?  I'm thinking it unlocks different weapons, but I'm not sure.

glyc

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:27 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 31, 2008, 05:01:50 AM

As usual, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. The story mode is disappointing, but there is a ton of stuff to unlock and I'm having fun doing it.

I've gotten my ass kicked online a few times, and it's actually making me wish I had Virtua Fighter 5 online.

Agree.

I ventured into Live! last night as well and had trouble figuring out what the different room setups were.  I believe if you are in a 4-person room, you all sort of take turns being in a match.  The other two guys are in spectator mode until it's their turn to fight.  I suppose an advantage to a 2-player room is you never have to wait? 

Anyhow, I took Taki (the only character I have even an inkling of how to play) up against some random people who were mostly using their created characters.  It was not ranked, so I think most people probably use this as a training/testing ground of sorts.  I won 3 and lost 3, not that it really matters.  I was fortunate enough to experience zero lag, but I'm not sure what knucklehead decided not to put in an automatic rematch feature.  Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't exist, which is just dumb.  I got to watch Yoda in action for the first time.  I know some of you are against him being in a SC game, but he is rendered so well, and is just so cool to watch fight, I'm glad they put him in.

As far as leveling style - I really don't know what it does.  I keep unlocking stuff with Taki, expecting to get new uniforms and such, but I haven't seen anything yet.

LD

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure every time you level up a style, both you and your custom characters that use that style will have new options for custom wardrobes. Have any of you dressed your characters up all purdy in custom wardrobes? I've tried to make the gayest characters possible, which is actually harder than you'd think when every character is already gay as hell.

I think that's one of the reasons I love these fighting games so much, Tekken included: they're just super gay! PURPLE VESTS! PINK SPEEDOS! Need I say more?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »

I fought a guy last night who created a girl dressed in a "classic" arabian outfit.  Off-white tunic, headwrap, face cover, hand wraps, etc...  It was bland but pretty cool.  Then they ruined the whole thing by giving her a weapon that looked like a surfboard on a stick.  (It did make me laugh though).

Short of that, yeah, most things I've run into are extremely 'colorful'.

I plan on digging into character creation this weekend with my nephew.  He's much more creative than I.

LD

spigot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »

True Story: I pop in SC4 last night to finally get some quality time in and maybe try to create a really gay looking ninja warrior character (which I did for SC3). I was connected to Live and it asked to apply some update it downloaded, so I proceeded. No sooner than going to the Character Creator my little friend decides to buy-the-farm and flash it's disdain with it's pretty red lights. Various attempts throughout the evening to resuscitate the victim proved unsuccessful.

No SC4 for me, at least not for a little while. Life is just so hilarious like that.....

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 02:35:45 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on July 31, 2008, 11:13:57 AM

I have a question as well.  Does anyone know what leveling up a style gets you?  I'm thinking it unlocks different weapons, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, the leveling up a style means that character and any you create in that style (custom characters take on a base style from one of the main characters) get access to new clothes/armor, weapons and special powers.  Different clothes have different attributes which can be 'spent' on those powers.  Each of those powers seems to have 3 teirs from what I've seen, and they range in variety from giving you extra health to making you do damage even when your opponent blocks your attack and even resisting ring outs.

If you are playing the story or tower mode you should definitely look to at least customize your favorite character if not make one of your own, as they can become much more powerful.  Of course sometimes the more powerful gear isn't the look you want, so you just say

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: