http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 11:47:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony thinking about bringing Backward Compatibility for the PS3 back?  (Read 1340 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »

apparently they patented a way to do it via an emulator.  hell, even if they released it on PSN for a reasonable price I'd grab it.  I hope they didn't patent it just so someone else couldn't release something like that emulator they had for the PS1 on the PC.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »

Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

Well Sony wanted software emulation at launch, but they ended up with hardware first then a hardware/software solution.  I had thought they had an earlier emotion engine emulator.  Perhaps this is better and/or solves the Rambus problem.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it, and I fully expect to be made to pay for the privilege of playing PS2 games on the PS3, whether it's paying directly for the emulator itself or buying digital versions of the games as Sony decides to release them. 

Of course, I won't pay them a dime for any of it.  I have a PS2, and playing my games on the PS3 is a convenience I'm not paying extra for.  It sure would be nice if they gave out the emulation software for free though.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »

Rubs his 60G PS3...that's a good girl.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 30, 2009, 04:44:18 PM

We should get our girls together for a playdate.

I love my BC PS3.  And mostly for the BC.  However, should she ever kick the bucket, I'd hope they get this thing up and running.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 30, 2009, 04:44:18 PM

* CeeKay glares at his dust covered 40G PS3, then remembers it was free so he can't be too mad at it.

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »

I have a 60 gig and I can't recall ever playing a PS2 game on it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:57:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 30, 2009, 03:08:01 PM

Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.

Funny!   nod

I keep saying I won't get a PS3 before a price drop - entirely forgetting the whole BC issue.  I hope that a price drop and the BC both become a reality.  That would make my decision easier - that, and an exclusive game or two for the PS3.  In the meantime, I'll hang onto my PS2 for that once-a-year use I have for it (Persona 4!)

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
KC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony released a system update that gimped the PS2 hardware chips on the early PS3s and then created an online store for PS2 games that requires you to buy the emulator.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:14:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 30, 2009, 03:06:17 PM

apparently they patented a way to do it via an emulator.  hell, even if they released it on PSN for a reasonable price I'd grab it.  I hope they didn't patent it just so someone else couldn't release something like that emulator they had for the PS1 on the PC.

My guess is that this will only work for digital downloads.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 05:04:46 AM »

Quote from: KC on July 03, 2009, 11:12:03 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony released a system update that gimped the PS2 hardware chips on the early PS3s and then created an online store for PS2 games that requires you to buy the emulator.

Wow, that would piss the living fuck out of those who have the better PS3s. And Sony can't exactly take the PR hit right now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

I would be pissed as hell if they release BC for the PS3 because I have a Japanese PS3 so that would mean squat for me!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 04, 2009, 05:04:46 AM

Quote from: KC on July 03, 2009, 11:12:03 PM

Wow, that would piss the living fuck out of those who have the better PS3s. And Sony can't exactly take the PR hit right now.

yes it fucking would piss me off.....that's the main reason i went the full hog and bought the BC 60gig

can they do that?(both physically and lawfully?)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 08:13:34 AM »

They wouldn't, even if they could they couldn't stand the media backlash.  Basically such an event is pure make believe and not something to even bother thinking about.

It's like MS purposefully getting rid of BC just to sell more Xbox Originals.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »

This discussion sounds like "I dreamt that you were mean to me last night, so I'm going to be mad at you all day!"
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »

Just bought myself a 60GB PS3 on craigslist for $250 works perfectly.. first time owning a PS3 (I've been through several 360's and RROD's) and have to say I'm very impressed so far.
The fact that it doubles as a blu-ray player (never watched a blu-ray movie either until today for that matter!) is just icing on the cake.

Hopefully Sony does add BC again as it's something they used to always talk about and what seperated them from Microsoft. I remember the old Sony Boss saying that BC would continue on forever with PS4, PS5, etc.. until he got replaced.

With me at least, I don't mind paying $60+ a game when I know it's future-proof come the next generation and I"ll still be able to play it.
That's the one nice thing about PC's.. most games you bought many years ago (Quake 3 is a decade old already) still work on your current PC. 
Wish we could get that same kind of security when it comes to consoles as well.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 07, 2009, 08:50:22 PM

With me at least, I don't mind paying $60+ a game when I know it's future-proof come the next generation and I"ll still be able to play it.
That's the one nice thing about PC's.. most games you bought many years ago (Quake 3 is a decade old already) still work on your current PC. 

Do you still play Quake 3?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 11:16:04 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 07, 2009, 11:05:05 PM

If you do then stop and start playing Quake Live!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 12:34:16 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 07, 2009, 11:05:05 PM

I do not play Quake 3, but within the last two years, old games I've played on my PC include X-Com, Star Control II, Icewind Dale, Fallout, Thief: Gold, Half-Life, Alpha Centauri and Civilization III.  I didn't think Half-Life held up too well.

I have a PS3, and the two PS3 games I've ever played on it are Ninja Gaiden: Sigma and Uncharted.  By contrast, the PS2 games I've played on it include both God of War games, Okami, Final Fantasy XII, Sly Cooper 2, Ratchet: Deadlocked and Devil May Cry 3: SE.  I was thinking of starting up Fatal Frame III earlier this year, but I wound up playing through Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones on my original X-Box instead.

Backward compatibility is a big deal to me. nod

-Autistic Angel

EDIT: I forgot to include Ratchet: Deadlocked before, but it was a pretty forgettable entry in the series.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:37:23 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 12:48:20 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 08, 2009, 12:34:16 AM

I have a PS3, and the two PS3 games I've ever played on it are Ninja Gaiden: Sigma and Uncharted.  By contrast, the PS2 games I've played on it include both God of War games, Okami, Final Fantasy XII, Sly Cooper 2, Ratchet: Deadlocked and Devil May Cry 3: SE.  I was thinking of starting up Fatal Frame III earlier this year, but I wound up playing through Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones on my original X-Box instead.

-Autistic Angel

EDIT: I forgot to include Ratchet: Deadlocked before, but it was a pretty forgettable entry in the series.

Sounds like you should have waited for a PS3 price drop and stuck with the PS2 then.   icon_wink

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:44 AM »

Im waiting on the PS8 to buy a PS3.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 03:24:33 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 08, 2009, 01:10:44 AM

Im waiting on the PS8 to buy a PS3.

they'll never make it cheap enough for poor people like you.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 02:08:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 08, 2009, 12:48:20 AM

-Autistic Angel

Sounds like you should have waited for a PS3 price drop and stuck with the PS2 then.   icon_wink

You're assuming AA had a PS2.  I also play mostly PS2 games on my PS3, but I never had the PS2.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 08, 2009, 02:08:32 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on July 08, 2009, 12:48:20 AM

-Autistic Angel

You're assuming AA had a PS2.  I also play mostly PS2 games on my PS3, but I never had the PS2.

I do have a PS2, but I prefer the HDMI signal, upscaled resolution, and anti-aliasing I get by using the PS3.  Even the best looking PS2 games were never intended for modern 52" LCDs. Tongue

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: