http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:40:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony sued again...  (Read 1210 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:54:23 PM »

I don't know about you, but this is getting ridiculous:

The patent, “Synchronized Parallel Processing with Shared Memory” was issued in October 1991. It describes a high-speed computer that breaks down a program “into smaller concurrent processes running in different parallel processors” and resynchronizes the program for faster processing times.

Parallel Processing, the “exclusive licensee” of the patent, states in the suit, filed in the US District Court’s Eastern District of Texas Tyler Division: “On information and belief, Defendant Sony Corporation of America has infringed and continues to infringe on the ‘000 Patent by making, using, importing, offering for sale and/or selling products among other things, covered by one or more claims of the ‘000 Patent, including, but not limited to, Sony Playstation III [sic].”

Parallel Processing said that Sony’s alleged actions have caused “irreparable harm and monetary damage” to the company.

The plaintiff seeks damages, reimbursement of legal fees, interest and “the impounding and destruction of all Defendant’s products that infringe the ‘000 Patent.

So...a patent issued nearly 16 years ago (and more than likely not used to create anything), and they're telling the judge that if they win, they want ALL PS3's destroyed? Wow.

Although I do say - I'm tired of all these lawsuits. Will Sony ever get a break?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:02:24 AM »

This lawsuit will fail.  The Cell processor is very different than just a synchronous processor.  I did a research paper on Cell in college.  No merit. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 02:02:13 AM »

You know, I'm a strong believer in patents, but abuse of the patent system has really ruined it. thumbsdown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:10:40 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 30, 2007, 11:54:23 PM

they're telling the judge that if they win, they want ALL PS3's destroyed?

prepare the Destruction Squads!!!!!

icon_lol, that's a pretty stupid demand.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 03:19:03 AM »

I dunno.  It would explain why they're systematically destroying all of the 360s.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 03:26:46 AM »

Sony should be allowed to counter-sue and crush that company into dust.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »

well their not getting their hands on my PS3....i'm gonna hide it,i'll put a table cloth over it....that should do it icon_wink

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 02:54:03 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on July 31, 2007, 02:02:13 AM

You know, I'm a strong believer in patents, but abuse of the patent system has really ruined it. thumbsdown

Agreed.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 31, 2007, 10:34:54 AM

well their not getting their hands on my PS3....i'm gonna hide it,i'll put a table cloth over it....that should do it icon_wink

paint it white and put something flashing 3 red lights on the front of it?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »

I can't wait for Childrens Television Workshop to nail Sony to the wall for using the letters P and S, and the number 3.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 05:29:24 PM »

How, exactly is this abuse of the patent system?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 06:39:20 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 31, 2007, 05:29:24 PM

How, exactly is this abuse of the patent system?

From what I read elsewhere: The company has no webpage, has no product, and nobody has EVER heard of them until now. And they waited until almost a year after launch to suddenly sue Sony out of the blue.

unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »

There was a case the judge rebuffed this week: was it eBay's "buy now" or Amazon's "one click"?  At any rate, the patent holder had no actual damages- the judge said the company was using their patent as a sword rather than a shield, and he didn't find it justified to prevent the defendant from using it.

It's kind of annoying when companys act that way with patents, since the cases where corporations rip off real-life little guys (rather than patent squatters) get all that harder to win in court.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »

doesn't that bit describe all dual core and up processors too?  what about the 3 cored 360?  again, the patent sounds absurd.  who gets it in their head to patent an idea and then let it age on the books?  corporate tools.

it's a game of lotto nostradamus.  whomever successfully guesses which technologies will be invented in 20 years and patents it wins.  you don't even have to have tried to make it a reality. 

hell, when i was in high school, i successfully "predicted" that ea would make jungle strike and urban strike after desert strike came out.  that doesn't mean i'm somehow entitled to some of the profits. 

unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »

You should have registered those domain names  icon_lol
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 08:33:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2007, 06:39:20 PM

From what I read elsewhere: The company has no webpage, has no product, and nobody has EVER heard of them until now. And they waited until almost a year after launch to suddenly sue Sony out of the blue.

Yeah, that never works...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR-DOS#The_Microsoft_Lawsuit
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »

Quote from: Purge on July 31, 2007, 04:22:00 PM

I can't wait for Childrens Television Workshop to nail Sony to the wall for using the letters P and S, and the number 3.

and then Sony can crush them into dust!!!!!

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 04:24:24 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on July 31, 2007, 08:33:13 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2007, 06:39:20 PM

Yeah, that never works...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR-DOS#The_Microsoft_Lawsuit

MS's claims that their "DOS" was different actually were technically true.  Win95 wasn't just hovering over a DOS environment (like with Win3.1), it used "DOS" through a command interpreter (command.exe).  Unlike DOS, much of Windows95 was actually running in 32-bit mode: it would switch between 16- and 32- bit operations via a process called thunking.

Win9x didn't actually use DOS, it just mimicked DOS functionality (mainly for backward compatibility with MS-DOS and Win3.1x).
[/historic detour off]

And Brendan is completely correct, MS had a good chance of losing that case despite their claims actually being true.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:27:11 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 01, 2007, 12:06:33 AM

Quote from: Purge on July 31, 2007, 04:22:00 PM

and then Sony can crush them into dust!!!!!

I dunno man, they've got Grover AND Elmo. They'll just contract the dude under the bridge to take out some key execs, and THEN the Sony brows will start sweatin'.

"Elmo knows where you LIVE!!"

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 01, 2007, 12:00:42 PM

"Elmo knows where you LIVE!!"

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: