http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:31:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony shutting down MAG & SOCOM Servers  (Read 456 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »

Sony will pull the plug for online services for PlayStation 3 games MAG, SOCOM: Confrontation, and SOCOM 4 on January 28, 2014, the company announced today in a tweet from the PlayStation account.

"Advisory: Online multiplayer services for MAG, SOCOM Confrontation, and SOCOM 4 will be ending on 01/28/14," Sony said.

MAG and SOCOM: Confrontation require an Internet connection to play, meaning the first-person shooters won't work once the online services are removed. SOCOM 4, on the other hand, features an offline mode.

Sony was not immediately available to comment on whether or not it will continue to sell MAG and SOCOM: Confrontation even though they won't be playable.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-dropping-online-play-for-three-ps3-games-early-next-year-6411525

If it wasn't bad enough they closed down Zipper Interactive and destroyed any hope we had of getting a MAG 2, now they're closing down the servers for my all-time favorite PS3 game, MAG.

As an active online player, this is a tremendous disappointment. Even if I take a break from gaming, MAG is the one game I always came back to. Even years later there's no game that's pulled off the kind of battlefields (up to 128vs128) that MAG has.

Since there are no bots or offline mode, looks like we'll be left with just a coaster. 

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »

It kind of sucks that Sony is doing this, though I'm not personally affected in any way. It's not unexpected though, considering that we're about to enter a new console generation.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 17, 2013, 03:32:18 PM

Even years later there's no game that's pulled off the kind of battlefields (up to 128vs128) that MAG has.

How many players will Planetside 2 on PS4 support? 

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on July 17, 2013, 05:50:03 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 17, 2013, 03:32:18 PM

Even years later there's no game that's pulled off the kind of battlefields (up to 128vs128) that MAG has.

How many players will Planetside 2 on PS4 support?  

All of them, compared to MAG. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »

PlanetSide 2 is an MMO and PC only at the moment. May have to be my new go to game after MAG.

Should have clarified that. Even so, the closest 'regular' console game I'm aware of is Resistance 1, which pulled off 32vs32. Even Battlefield 3 is still only 24 players. (Which is smaller than one team size alone in MAG.)

Still sad as looking at the 200 hours, veteran mode status, all the exp and perks I've worked hard for, and of course the money on the DLC.. all going away soon.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 17, 2013, 06:28:20 PM

PlanetSide 2 is an MMO and PC only at the moment. May have to be my new go to game after MAG.
Planetside 2 is going to be a PS4 launch title supposedly.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »

It's not like these servers are shut down because Sony wants to just be an ass to people. There's hardly anybody playing these games anymore, that's just the simple truth.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on July 17, 2013, 07:46:08 PM

It's not like these servers are shut down because Sony wants to just be an ass to people. There's hardly anybody playing these games anymore, that's just the simple truth.

When was the last time you logged into MAG?

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 17, 2013, 08:15:31 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on July 17, 2013, 07:46:08 PM

When was the last time you logged into MAG?

Many months because the player base got so low it wasn't worth it anymore.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »

I still play MAG almost daily.

There's a good number of people playing, not the kind of numbers Blacks Ops pulls off, but enough to keep the game going a little longer.

Considering SOCOM on PSP is still up with about 12 players on average (nearly a decade after release) it's still a shame to see a game only a few years old go under that still has a decent following.

Our clan has gone from 3 members in the last 2 weeks to over 30 now.

There's no notice on the news page about the servers being taken down.

Still a shame. I'm going to go on a limb and say MAG is in my top 3 favorite games of all time.. all the hours I spent upgrading my character, going into veteran mode, and of course all the DLC I paid for.. all going to disappear.

RIP MAG.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: