http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 02:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony Public Relations = Grasping at Straws  (Read 3787 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 20, 2006, 05:12:19 PM

The fact that they marketed it as the ultimate HD platform and then neutered the "lower priced" offering with no HDMI input is just mind blowing to me. 

FWIW, not sure if you know because it's a recent development, but all PS3's (including the lowered priced SKU) now include HDMI. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 05:17:03 PM »

Wow.  How'd we get back to Nintendo again?   eek

Nintendo's a shrewd puppy.  They are a business and they make money (Hi Devil!).  They could have added 720p support but it would have cost them more.  They made a gamble (and an intelligent one I think) that they could sell a metric ass-load of Wii's without including 720p support.  By doing so they get to keep more money in their pocket.  Microsoft and Sony have consoles that can do more but it costs both companies right now to put them out.  Nintendo is playing it very smart - they are very good at making money conservatively over the long-term.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 05:17:51 PM »

Jblank, If I can't have fun at everyone else's expense then what's the point ?  icon_wink

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 05:23:54 PM »

Oh wow, I didn't know that about the HDMI being included on the lower tier PS3 now.  Thanks for the heads-up on that Kevin!  smile

Heh, wow, that was the thing that blew my mind when Sony first announced specs for their new system.  Nothing else blew my mind like that.  Everything else has just made me shake my head and think, "Wow is that dumb."   eek  It's a perfect match actually as I just realized how dumb I look now not knowing that they included HDMI!  So are you like calling me dumb or something Kevin?!   nod  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:26:18 PM by deadzone » Logged
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »

Wow.  How'd we get back to Nintendo again?

Someone mentioned them and it snowballed from there.  

Nintendo's a shrewd puppy.

We'll see.

They could have added 720p support but it would have cost them more.

Perhaps, but why not offer a "HD Edition" that has the support included, and charge $30 more or something? Is this a case where the system isn't powerful enough? I find that hard to believe considering its supposed to be a bit more powerful than the original XBOX, which handled 720p ok.

They made a gamble (and an intelligent one I think) that they could sell a metric ass-load of Wii's without including 720p support.

Remains to be seen. If they somehow move up to 2nd place, then yeah, I will eat some crow, but right now, I am skeptical.

By doing so they get to keep more money in their pocket.

Only if the systems sell.

Microsoft and Sony have consoles that can do more but it costs both companies right now to put them out.  Nintendo is playing it very smart - they are very good at making money conservatively over the long-term.

Yeah but at what point do you wanna climb out of the 90's and start embracing things like DVD playback and HD support? I'm not asking them to make the UberMario Wii Machine that is the equivilent of a Cray Supercomputer, but damn, DVD has been out for 10 years now and ya still can't even play one on a Nintendo console? Their whole bassackwards way of doing things pisses me off sometimes. They act like it would kill them to put a few bucks into something that truly is a competitive and modern machine.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 05:27:44 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 20, 2006, 05:17:51 PM

Jblank, If I can't have fun at everyone else's expense then what's the point ?  icon_wink

Ok, fair enough, but I didn't think anyone was arguing and I thought your post was a serious one. My bad.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 05:30:34 PM »

DVD playback was more of an issue last gen IMO.  Given that the Wii isn't designed for bedroom playing, odds are that whatever room the Wii will go in already has a DVD player now that also does a better job.  I don't think DVD support is much of selling point for consoles anymore and it would have bumped up costs because Nintendo would have to play a licensing fee on every Wii sold even if most people didn't use the functionality.  That's why MS didn't let people play DVDs unless you bought the remote on Xbox 1- that way they only paid the fee on each sale of the remote, not the console itself. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 05:34:59 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:27:44 PM

Ok, fair enough, but I didn't think anyone was arguing and I thought your post was a serious one. My bad.
Let it be known from here on out, whenever it comes to discussing consoles, videogames or the like on a messageboard forum, my posts should rarely if ever be considered serious. When I talk games I talk out my ass, the side of my mouth and anywhere else I can get noise to come from. I just like to have fun discussing this stuff, because to be honest I won't discuss it publicly with other people, and don't even like talking about gaming with my friends who play games. It's my dirty little gaming secret. So please, when reading my posts take the information in, but generally the method of delivery will never be serious.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2006, 05:30:34 PM

DVD playback was more of an issue last gen IMO.  Given that the Wii isn't designed for bedroom playing, odds are that whatever room the Wii will go in already has a DVD player now that also does a better job.  I don't think DVD support is much of selling point for consoles anymore and it would have bumped up costs because Nintendo would have to play a licensing fee on every Wii sold even if most people didn't use the functionality.  That's why MS didn't let people play DVDs unless you bought the remote on Xbox 1- that way they only paid the fee on each sale of the remote, not the console itself. 

Kevin I know its not a selling point, but its something most people have kind of come to expect. I haven't put a DVD in a console in probably 4 years (and that was just to test it), but I still like to have, yup, you guessed it, OPTIONS, something Nintendo isn't giving me at this point, with the Wii. They are so polarizing to me; I love my DS and probably play it more than my PSP at this point, but I didn't care too much for the Gamecube after a year or so, and get less excited about the Wii on a weekly basis.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 05:37:56 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 20, 2006, 05:34:59 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:27:44 PM

Let it be known from here on out, whenever it comes to discussing consoles, videogames or the like on a messageboard forum, my posts should rarely if ever be considered serious. When I talk games I talk out my ass, the side of my mouth and anywhere else I can get noise to come from. I just like to have fun discussing this stuff, because to be honest I won't discuss it publicly with other people, and don't even like talking about gaming with my friends who play games. It's my dirty little gaming secret. So please, when reading my posts take the information in, but generally the method of delivery will never be serious.

Check. thumbsup

For the record, I discuss games for fun also, until someone disagrees with me.

That was a joke people. :slywink: icon_biggrin

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 05:39:29 PM »

Sony PS3 bashers, grasping at straws.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »

But will Nintendo lose enough sales for not including DVD that would make up the difference between paying a licensing fee on every Wii sold?  My guess on the answer is safely "no".  Choices are great sometimes, but when it comes down to it, I don't want to pay for a feature I'm never going to use.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 20, 2006, 05:39:29 PM

Straw hat makers, grasping at straws

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2006, 05:58:41 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 20, 2006, 05:56:45 PM

Heh, I don't think anybody is grasping for as many straws as Sony actually.  smile

Apparently, the 360 costs about 700 bucks in Sony's world. 

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

someone didn't look at the beginning of the thread...  paranoid Roll Eyes

warning

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:37:56 PM

LOLzapalooza!  Nice!
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2006, 05:40:00 PM

But will Nintendo lose enough sales for not including DVD that would make up the difference between paying a licensing fee on every Wii sold?  My guess on the answer is safely "no".  Choices are great sometimes, but when it comes down to it, I don't want to pay for a feature I'm never going to use.

Would ya pay a few extra clams for HD support?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2006, 06:03:05 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 20, 2006, 06:01:54 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:37:56 PM

LOLzapalooza!  Nice!

icon_lol Glad you liked that.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2006, 06:11:25 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 06:02:10 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2006, 05:40:00 PM

Would ya pay a few extra clams for HD support?

Would I pay now?  Probably if it wasn't more than another $50.  However, I've already decided to get a Wii this year (assuming availability) so Nintendo already has me as their customer so they don't need to add any additional features to entice me. 

If Nintendo comes out with an HD Wii re-issue in a few years would I buy a second Wii?  That's a tougher question.  My current gaming TV is a 32" HDTV that I bought specifically because I know that I will continue to play a lot of games in SD from previous generations, so 32" struck me as the right balance between the two standards- HD looks great on it but SD still looks damn nice too.  Should I decide to upgrade my gaming TV to a 42" inch or bigger set in the next couple of years, then I would be much more likely to pick up an HD Wii because I don't care for SD gaming on TV sets that are larger than 42". 
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2006, 06:12:24 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 20, 2006, 05:58:41 PM

Quote from: deadzone on October 20, 2006, 05:56:45 PM

Heh, I don't think anybody is grasping for as many straws as Sony actually.  smile

Apparently, the 360 costs about 700 bucks in Sony's world. 

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

someone didn't look at the beginning of the thread...  paranoid Roll Eyes

Whoops deleted.  smile
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2006, 06:37:40 PM »

Sony's saying now that they may not meet their lowered PS3 targets after all. 

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061020-8042.html

Don't all of these things that keep happening give anyone else the idea that it's worse even than what they are saying?  I mean, it's like everyday now that you hear something else that seems to be bad for Sony and the PS3.   :icon_eek:
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 20, 2006, 06:37:40 PM

Sony's saying now that they may not meet their lowered PS3 targets after all. 

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061020-8042.html

Don't all of these things that keep happening give anyone else the idea that it's worse even than what they are saying?  I mean, it's like everyday now that you hear something else that seems to be bad for Sony and the PS3.   :icon_eek:

Yup, it's official, they are in deep doo-doo with this launch.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2006, 06:44:54 PM »

I think it willl be just like the 360- after the initial batch, no signficant resupply until well into January or so. 
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2006, 07:27:38 PM »

Well . . . they decided to screw over PSP owners too.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/740/740691p1.html
What could have been a saving grace for the PSP . . . inexpensive, note perfect, portable versions of classic PS1 games . . . and Sony is going to make you buy a PS3 to have access to them . . . and to think I have been upgrading my firmware with each release like a good german looking forward to this . . .  finger

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2006, 07:33:31 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on October 20, 2006, 07:27:38 PM

What could have been a saving grace for the PSP . . . inexpensive, note perfect, portable versions of classic PS1 games . . . and Sony is going to make you buy a PS3 to have access to them . . . and to think I have been upgrading my firmware with each release like a good german looking forward to this . . .  finger

That link is everything that is wrong in game journalism- instead of bunches of "gosh, Sony didn't say whether or not there will eventually be a similar store on the PSP but we assume they might do it someday..." why don't you ask the damn Sony reps the question point blank and print their response. 
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2006, 07:33:31 PM

That link is everything that is wrong in game journalism- instead of bunches of "gosh, Sony didn't say whether or not there will eventually be a similar store on the PSP but we assume they might do it someday..." why don't you ask the damn Sony reps the question point blank and print their response. 

Because it is soooooo much more "convenient" to download games for a portable system that is already wifi enabled through a $600 console than from a website . . . yeah, sure Sony might get around to opening the SonyConnect store to the PSP . . . around 2010 maybe . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on October 20, 2006, 07:52:36 PM

Because it is soooooo much more "convenient" to download games for a portable system that is already wifi enabled through a $600 console than from a website . . . yeah, sure Sony might get around to opening the SonyConnect store to the PSP . . . around 2010 maybe . . .

Whoah, I'm not defending Sony here.  I just think the article is idiotic because they don't specificly put the question to Sony whether this is the permanent solution to getting PS1 games on PSP, if it's temporary, how long, etc.

Re: the implementation on this- the fact that you can only play the games on the PSP right now and *not* the PS3 is even dumber.  The PS3 is actually better suited for it because it has all of the same buttons that the PS1 controller had.  The PSP thing has always been an issue because it limits which games can be ported based on what their controls were. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2006, 08:04:51 PM »

So...you can only get the PS1 games onto your PSP by going through the PS3? What an absolute total waste of what sounded like a cool idea.

That, and I'd have to upgrade the bios, and that's something I most definitely won't do anytime soon.  paranoid

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2006, 08:05:21 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:36:23 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2006, 05:30:34 PM

Kevin I know its not a selling point, but its something most people have kind of come to expect. I haven't put a DVD in a console in probably 4 years (and that was just to test it), but I still like to have, yup, you guessed it, OPTIONS, something Nintendo isn't giving me at this point, with the Wii. They are so polarizing to me; I love my DS and probably play it more than my PSP at this point, but I didn't care too much for the Gamecube after a year or so, and get less excited about the Wii on a weekly basis.

+2 for Tebunkers STOP THE DERAIL vote.  nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2006, 08:06:49 PM »

No offense Purge, but we haven't talked about it 2 hours, so I think the thread was back on the correct rail before you made this post. thumbsup

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2006, 08:20:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2006, 07:58:40 PM

Quote from: ras752000 on October 20, 2006, 07:52:36 PM

Whoah, I'm not defending Sony here.  I just think the article is idiotic because they don't specificly put the question to Sony whether this is the permanent solution to getting PS1 games on PSP, if it's temporary, how long, etc.

Re: the implementation on this- the fact that you can only play the games on the PSP right now and *not* the PS3 is even dumber.  The PS3 is actually better suited for it because it has all of the same buttons that the PS1 controller had.  The PSP thing has always been an issue because it limits which games can be ported based on what their controls were. 

Sorry . . . my vitriol was not aimed at you . . . I knew you were slamming the propoganda that IGN was dropping, just hard to not sound angry right now . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
warning

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2006, 08:38:57 PM »

Yeah I'd love to be able to download old Playstation One games for my PSP.  It'd make my RPG Rewind project a lot easier (and cheaper probably!) but I can't see getting a PS3 till they drop quite a bit in price.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2006, 08:54:46 PM »

Update from IGN buried at the bottom of the article:

Update -- 10/20/2006: Speaking to SCE Marketing Vice President Peter Dille, GameDaily BIZ was able to confirm that a "PSP downloads site" was up and running to distribute PSP games without the use of PS3, although this stops short of confirming that the full PlayStation Store will be on PSP as soon as the next PSP update releases.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2006, 09:45:02 PM »

I hate to continue the semi-derailment of the thread.. but an experience I had recently at my local Best Buy seems relevant to the HDTV discussion.

I walked in one day last week only to discover that in the two weeks that I hadn't been in there.. they remodeled. They now have a huge (read: freaking gigantic) wall of nothing but flat panel HDTV's, whether they be Plasma or LCD. The few non flat-panel TV's they have are shuttered off in an aisle all by themselves, and they're outnumbered probably 30 to 1 by the flat panels. And most of the regular CRT's still available were under 30", and were HD! When I was in there last I went looking for the section with large DLP and SXRD TV's.. and couldn't find it. Know why? because it doesnt' exist. They had two floor models on display, a 42" Sony DLP and a 50" Samsung. The guy in the TV department at the time said they shipped the rest of their inventory to another store that's still carrying those models. When I asked if they were going to carry any CRT/Projection style large TV's anymore he said he wasn't sure. There was one corner of the TV department that wasn't finished yet and it was walled off, but it wasn't really big enough to display more than 5 to 10 bigger projection/dlp/whatever type TV's.

Whole thing totally floored me.

So.. you know, if you should happen to want an SDTV.. you might have to look somewhere other than Best Buy pretty soon.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2006, 11:46:16 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 20, 2006, 05:39:29 PM

how utterly adorable  Tongue  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2006, 12:32:07 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 20, 2006, 08:54:46 PM

Update from IGN buried at the bottom of the article:

Update -- 10/20/2006: Speaking to SCE Marketing Vice President Peter Dille, GameDaily BIZ was able to confirm that a "PSP downloads site" was up and running to distribute PSP games without the use of PS3, although this stops short of confirming that the full PlayStation Store will be on PSP as soon as the next PSP update releases.

Exactly what I'm talking about- evidently it takes GameDaily BIZ to do IGN's job.  This, combined with the whole "Zelda for Cube won't be available in stores" thing from yesterday is why I wish these sites would get their facts straight instead of being the first to sound the alarm and get everyone riled up. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2006, 04:01:56 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on October 20, 2006, 09:45:02 PM

I hate to continue the semi-derailment of the thread.. but an experience I had recently at my local Best Buy seems relevant to the HDTV discussion.

I walked in one day last week only to discover that in the two weeks that I hadn't been in there.. they remodeled. They now have a huge (read: freaking gigantic) wall of nothing but flat panel HDTV's, whether they be Plasma or LCD. The few non flat-panel TV's they have are shuttered off in an aisle all by themselves, and they're outnumbered probably 30 to 1 by the flat panels. And most of the regular CRT's still available were under 30", and were HD! When I was in there last I went looking for the section with large DLP and SXRD TV's.. and couldn't find it. Know why? because it doesnt' exist. They had two floor models on display, a 42" Sony DLP and a 50" Samsung. The guy in the TV department at the time said they shipped the rest of their inventory to another store that's still carrying those models. When I asked if they were going to carry any CRT/Projection style large TV's anymore he said he wasn't sure. There was one corner of the TV department that wasn't finished yet and it was walled off, but it wasn't really big enough to display more than 5 to 10 bigger projection/dlp/whatever type TV's.

Whole thing totally floored me.

So.. you know, if you should happen to want an SDTV.. you might have to look somewhere other than Best Buy pretty soon.

I'm glad someone brought this up.  My wife and wanted to buy a regular CRT TV for some friends who just bought a house.  We went to Best Buy, Micro Center and Costco.  I was shocked to find very few CRT style sets, in fact Micro Center and Costco only had HD models.  We finally bought a 32" CRT at Target.  I don't think I will buy a non-HD TV ever again.  But I was still kind of surprised.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »

Wow this thread sure did take off in no time at all..

If they are gonna stay this far behind the technological curve, why even bother making a console?

I agree with most of what you are saying jblank, especially as a fellow HDTV owner, but people are going to buy the Wii regardless.
Look at the DS, it continues to dominate the technologically superior PSP, even though its games can't even put out half the graphics the PSP can..
I'm sure the price point has to do a lot with that, and it's probably going to be repeated again with the PS3 costing at least twice that of the Wii.
Parents looking for a holiday gift for their kids see a PS3 at 500 bucks.. and see a "kiddie-friendly" Wii at half the price.. the mainstream (who don't have money growing in their backyards) are going to go Wii.

Me personally I'm like you, after having gamed on an SDTV for so long and just recently upgraded to a HDTV the difference is amazing. It's like being on dialup for so long and then going to broadband, you don't want to go back to that again.
And as such I'm not getting a Wii, at least not at launch. Maybe when the price hits less than $200 (the price point it should have come out with, IMO, as it's little more than a gamecube) I'll consider getting one, but until then, I'm looking at Microsoft and Sony. 

Btw you can look at affordable HDTV solutions (temporarily anyway, until you get the cash for a bigger screen) by going with just a computer monitor and hooking up through the VGA input, or getting a smaller HDTV. The 15" Magnavox HDTV monitor (tv/component/vga inputs) goes for $249.99 at circuit city - that's the one I'm currently using and it looks fantastic in HD!  icon_biggrin

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »

Somebody did a lot of market research before making the decision to go the way they did with Nintendo. I am certain, since they are more Japan centric, that a lot of the research centered there, and that they didn't do as much extensive research here. However, considering we have a population that dwarfs Japan I think they did some correlation and samples to see that they could be very successful with the Wii, or they wouldn't do it. The joke is that they make money, but the truth is Nintendo pretty much doesn't do anything unless they are going to make money. They are very strict in adhering to being in the black and having an affect on the bottom-line. For investors, the people they really care about, that's awesome, my company is the same way, I think all of them, in the end are in it for the money. For gamers, it's confusing, bothersome, and downright inane at times. I won't deny that Nintendo has made a lot of dumb decisions and moves in the last 10 years, and in fact I think they run too much out of Japan and need to give NOA more freedom.

So in short, most companies do a lot of market research, Nintendo included, obviously the market data bears that the direction they are going will bear them good profits, so I think they will be very successful until the beginning 2009, because in 2010 HD signal becomes the mandated signal and people will pretty much need HDTV(I am pretty sure it's 2010). So they're banking that they can create a paradigm shift before they HD market comes to fruition in 3 years or so. As we all know, games are what really make a system spectacular, the PS2 was the least powerful but had the most and best games for the win. If Nintendo were to sell through the 4 million units they are shipping by the end of this year(worldwide and scarily possible) they will be very scary as a competitor. Like the DS companies would compelled to develop for it just because of the large base. Alright, enough business analysis, as I could probably go on forever and start grabbing market data from the biz websites etc.

Now, do I think that Nintendo will be that successful? No, not really. I think they will do a lot better than the Gamecube, a lot better than people think, and they may even garner a worldwide sales lead, but North America they will be second at best and I think in 3 years we will see any kind of lead they had erode faster than a dune in a sandstorm. A lot of my optimism comes from the DS, marketed smartly, selling incredibly and they are going to try to apply those same strategies to the Wii, and I think it will be a good move. Unfortunately, you can blame the price on Sony(see I knew I could get this thread back on track!), since they came in so high Nintendo knew that they could ape us for that extra $50. I don't like it, but I am willing to pay it.

Eitherway, I think Nintendo has to show us that they really did learn from the Cube(they claimed they learned from the 64), and that they can use the DS lessons to be successful. Obviously only time will tell, but I think a lot of folks are going to be really surprised over the next two years by how successful the system will be, now if that can carry them into the end of the generation like the PS2 has for Sony, I don't see that happening because A: They won't have that kind of insurmountable lead that Sony amounted and B: Unless they come out with a 720p edition or HD version of the Wii, the system will get hurt when the Broadcast standards change in 2010.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2006, 11:25:28 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker
because in 2010 HD signal becomes the mandated signal and people will pretty much need HDTV(I am pretty sure it's 2010).

This is a common misconception.  The reality is that the switchover has nothing to do with HD, but just digital signals themselves, including standard definition. The only people affected by the switchover are people whose sole source of television is via antenna and who don't have the capability to decode digital signals transmitted over the air, which many standard def TVs have been doing for quite a while now.  For those who do meet these criteria (which is a very small number) they will be able to get a digital decoder box so that they don't have to purchase a new TV and I think there is even talk of the government subsidising that purchase to an extent. 

Anyone current receiving their signals through cable or satellite will be totally unaffected, even if they are still watching on standard def units.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2006, 03:58:05 AM »

Here's the condensed version of Kevin's comment: DTV, not HDTV, is the mandate by 2010.

Satellite is already Digital, they want to free up the wavelengths that analog TV signal use as they are very valuable.

They don't care about how crisp the picture is. They want you recieving 1's and 0's instead of wavelengths.

The only reason HDTV is rolled into that is because it gives people "incentive" to get new sets.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: