http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:50:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SONY PS3 to LAUNCH IN 2007  (Read 3621 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2005, 06:39:54 PM »

I think this is a HORRIBLE MISTAKE. 2007? The ps2 is a DINOSAUR...  They are giving a huge advantage to the 360..

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000253065694/

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 06:41:33 PM »

This is a rumor and is in no way confirmed by Sony.  At best, it's wishful thinking by the head of Xbox UK.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:44:17 PM »

It is suicide if true. If the 360 looks, smells, and feels next generation, SONY's lead will decline.

History has taught us that you are not gauranteed your next generation lead.. (NINTENDO, SEGA....) Sony better tread lightly.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:45:50 PM »

Mind you, this isn't that far of a reach if you consider that a late 06 launchin the US and japan would mean an 07 launch in Europe.

I think the most telling thing is that we STILL haven't seen any ingame footage of the ps3.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:02:55 PM »

I'd be willing to bet it's at least a 50/50 chance we don't see the PS3 until '07.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 07:10:57 PM »

My money is on '08. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »

Did this come from the same source that said Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 would be announced at BlizzCon? slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 09:17:29 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
This is a rumor and is in no way confirmed by Sony.  At best, it's wishful thinking by the head of Xbox UK.

I saw this was reported by the BBC.  If the BBC says so then it must be true  :wink:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 09:21:17 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Did this come from the same source that said Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 would be announced at BlizzCon? slywink

:cry:  Why do you say the things that hurt?  *sniffle*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:45:23 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I think this is a HORRIBLE MISTAKE. 2007? The ps2 is a DINOSAUR...  They are giving a huge advantage to the 360..

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000253065694/

I highly doubt that Sony will let it's PS3 slip into '07 - they have too much at stake as the price of electronics continues to drop meaning less profit in their other divisions.

As for the PS2 being a dinosaur - I'm still buying, playing and thoroughly enjoying new games for the system.

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 11:18:50 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I'd be willing to bet it's at least a 50/50 chance we don't see the PS3 until '07.

Well, duh.  It either comes out in 2007, or it doesn't.  You take statistics for those l33t m@+h sk1Lz, or are you some kind of prodigy?  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 11:23:18 PM »

Remember folks, Europeans usually talk about Europe, and the Japanese usually talk about their Market.

It's not unreasonable to think that PS3 would come out in Europe in 07, being that mid to late 06 release is imminent for the states.

MS would be very wise to give Europe a lot of attention. Those people can buy a lot of games, and they get NO attention what so ever from any Japanese console manufacturer.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 01:39:29 AM »

I don't think PS3 is going to be available in Europe until 2007. Was a 2006 launch in UK ever on the table? If I remember correctly the PS2 was  was launch in March 2000 in Japan, October 2000 in US, and March 2001 in UK.  
I bet we will see the same launch role out for the PS3.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 02:15:56 AM »

Well, duh. It either comes out in 2007, or it doesn't. You take statistics for those l33t m@+h sk1Lz, or are you some kind of prodigy?

There's a 100% chance I'm going to kick yer ass - How's that for m@+th?
 :wink:

But, on a more serious note (maybe): Did what I said make sense? I was saying there's probably just as good a chance of seeing it in '07 as there is in '06.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 02:16:19 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

Well, duh.  It either comes out in 2007, or it doesn't.  You take statistics for those l33t m@+h sk1Lz, or are you some kind of prodigy?  :wink:

That there are only two outcomes does not necessarily mean that said outcomes have an equal chance of occuring.

Bitch.  :wink:

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 05:44:24 AM »

There's a 100% chance I'm going to kick yer ass - How's that for m@+th?
 :wink:

Oh noz! :shock:

But, on a more serious note (maybe): Did what I said make sense? I was saying there's probably just as good a chance of seeing it in '07 as there is in '06.

Yes, what you were saying makes sense.  I was just being a dork...

Or bitch, as it were.  Tongue

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »

Ha!

I rescind the ass kicking.

biggrin

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 07:16:38 PM »

There's a link from the news showing one of those wafers with Cell chips on it. They do seem big too me vs other pictures of CPU wafers I've seen before..

On a totally random side note I've always wondered why the wafers they use are round and not square. You end up with a certain percentage of wasted space with partially etched CPU's that way.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 08:27:23 PM »

Silicon wafer are 'grown' not 'made' and they grow round.

They probably couldn't get a perfectly square cut and line it up right and since the chips are usually about the size of a period in a newspaper, there is going to be some loss either way.

How's that!  biggrin

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 11:11:00 PM »

This article indicates that it will launch in the US for the 2006 holiday season.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051105-5530.html

xbox live: nude rick james
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 11:34:06 PM »

I wonder, if it's delayed that long, perhaps they'll be able to one up MS with more games for release and better hardware?

I mean there's a lot of discussion about 360 hardware issues, including the lack of hard drive.  If Sony takes the time to build up its manufacturing capabilities and somehow makes the system cheaper.  Perhaps they could fit in a small hard drive.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 11:52:57 PM »

Quote from: "Clay"
This article indicates that it will launch in the US for the 2006 holiday season.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051105-5530.html

While thats better than what we thought, it will still be about a one year headstart for MS, which of course could be huge for marketshare or could be a Dreamcast like disaster smile
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 03:11:20 AM »

Based upon the demand for the 360 so far, I would say a full year before seeing the PS3 in the U.S. is VERY big.  Microsoft will gain huge marketshare if they can prove to consumers that the 360 is a significant upgrade to the xbox, or PS2.  I think Sony needs to do a dual launch in the U.S and Japan in the Spring or they are gonna lose in the next generation war.

Just think if PS3 does not launch until next Holiday season, we would have seen Halo3, Gears of War, the two new bioware games, Too Human, Ninja Gaiden 2,  maybe a next gen Forza, and all of next years sports titles on the 360.  Those games are gonna be system sellers.  Sony better get it's act together quick, because I don't see too many great PS2 games coming out over the next year to keep gaming fans interested.

Not launching the PS3 in the U.S. till next holiday season would be a HUGE mistake.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2005, 04:04:54 AM »

Quote from: "StitchJones"

Just think if PS3 does not launch until next Holiday season, we would have seen Halo3, Gears of War, the two new bioware games, Too Human, Ninja Gaiden 2,  maybe a next gen Forza, and all of next years sports titles on the 360.  

Whoa there.  I wouldn't plan on nearly  all of those titles being out in a year's time.  Halo 3 isn't even formally announced and while a holiday '06 release is likely, a summer '07 release to tie in to the Halo movie would be just as likely.  

Ninja Gaiden 2 hasn't been announced (unless I missed it) and Too Human developer Silicon Knights' last two games were delayed (minor delay for Twin Snakes and huge delay for Eternal Darkness).  I wouldn't bank on them to put out a product on a schedule.  The same applies to Bioware who have had their fair share of delays for their product too.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2005, 01:51:34 PM »

Metal Hounds, and a slew of new IP (intellectual properties) including Blue Dragon etc... if some of these turn out to be more like KOTOR and less like Brute Force it won't matter if the sequels mentioned above make it.

If there is no holiday PS3 launch (and even if there is) it's not going to be as easy as Sony thinks it will be.

PS2 backwards compatibility isn't going to be a big motivator when people still have their PS2s, a 360 and then face the prospect of a significantly more expensive PS3.

At this point, Sony has left the ball in MS's court. Given that MS has a stronger tie to Japanese developers, more experience in the crap vs awesome games (please no more Metal Dungeon or Kabuki Warriors), I thinks this signifies one thing for Sony: Very. Bad. Move.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 04:31:42 PM »

I suppose the fact that none of the consoles have been released yet and about half of this stuff still being nothing but speculation, plays little importance to this argument? I think it's a bit early to herald the victory of any one consoles, since again, at this point, NONE have yet been released.

That said, if the PS3 does see a release at the end of next year, the X360 has about a year to gobble up the console market share. We'll see how well they do.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 07:17:31 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

PS2 backwards compatibility isn't going to be a big motivator when people still have their PS2s, a 360 and then face the prospect of a significantly more expensive PS3.

If you believe the Holiday 2006 quote from the Ars Technica article above then you should also believe the Sony CEO's quote that it will likely only cost between $300-400.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 09:03:16 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Purge"

If you believe the Holiday 2006 quote from the Ars Technica article above then you should also believe the Sony CEO's quote that it will likely only cost between $300-400.

Yeah this I think right now might be the wild card in determining past initial installed user base which console really gets their hooks into the market. With MS coming now and having a years worth of games and installed users and the PS3 comes in late 2006 with a price tag of 500+, then yeah, it could be an enormous help to Microsoft's keeping pace or maybe taking over this gen. But it is all so speculative at this point.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 03:37:19 AM »

I think people are willing to wait for the PS3.  Microsoft will probably pick up some people who would have bought a PS3 instead of a 360 is both were available, but I'll bet most of those people will also get a PS3 when it comes out.  There are still some big exclusive games coming for PS2 next year - Final Fantasy XII and Kingdom Hearts 2 being the biggest, but also Killzone 2, Onimusha 4, Phantasy Star Universe, and Rogue Galaxy.  
There's also the Japan factor.  Microsoft is definitely getting somewhere with Japanese developers, but it remains to be seen whether the Japanese consumers will care, and MS will likely only have less than a 6 month head start there.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 04:02:16 AM »

Everybody keeps mentioning Killzone 2 as a major driving force for the PS3, not just here, but in person as well.  

Did I miss a memo?  Wasn't Killzone universally thought of as a "meh" title at best?  If so, why has it become the new poster child, other than that neat looking and admittedly faked video from E3?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2005, 04:20:38 AM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Everybody keeps mentioning Killzone 2 as a major driving force for the PS3, not just here, but in person as well.  

Did I miss a memo?  Wasn't Killzone universally thought of as a "meh" title at best?  If so, why has it become the new poster child, other than that neat looking and admittedly faked video from E3?

The controls are terrible, the framerate awful, and the pacing very bad. HOwever, it is an interesting gaming world, the voice acting is solid, and the graphics are impressive. Still, I think that the only console that does FPS's properly right now is the XBox, so without a change in either controller or control itself in Killzone2, I think it will probably remain a chore to actually play.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 07:08:30 AM »

"Everybody keeps mentioning Killzone 2 as a major driving force for the PS3, not just here, but in person as well."
I think Killzone 2 is a PS2 game, whereas the E3 video was supposed to be Killzone 3.  I have no idea if it's any good or not, but the fact that it sold well and Sony is pushing the series is probably why it gets mentioned so much.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 07:29:20 AM »

I think Killzone is a very good console FPS.  And truthfully, I'm *way* more excited for the next game in that series than the Halo series.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2005, 07:51:22 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I think Killzone is a very good console FPS.  And truthfully, I'm *way* more excited for the next game in that series than the Halo series.

That could be because you have no taste in games...
gitarrooo man?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2005, 08:30:13 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

That could be because you have no taste in games...
gitarrooo man?

Wow.  I'm not going to trust another word you say about any game ever.  again.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: