http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 10:50:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony PS3 price drop rumor  (Read 3466 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 21, 2007, 09:03:46 PM

The most interesting part about that interview (which I said in the thread I nuked):

"Going aggressive only on price without being able to back it up with content doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me," he said. Hirai added that a price cut would have a "real impact" on hardware sales only if Sony also provided enough software titles to support the PS3.

So...you won't drop the price because there's not enough games on the PS3? Not exactly a positive thing to say about your console, no?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2007, 11:34:42 PM »

That may well be the dumbest thing Sony has ever said about the PS3. And we're covering a lot of stupid things. How can you bury your own console like that?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2007, 11:55:49 PM »

i go on the xbox forums a lot,and i have never had any trouble

i also go on PS3 forums,and someone asked everyone if they were losing faith in the PS3

i said yes,with the state its in right now who wouldnt be losing faith after paying 425 for it,delays constantly announced,and the (european)store being a joke,and just nothing until January to really get me excited in games (MGS4)

i also commented how dumb some of the spokespeople for the machine are and asked who at a gaming expedition announces a delay of 6 months(tgs/HOME),tokyo game show is a time to advertise your machine,not annouce delays!!...LOL,the amount of shit i got back of everyone was unreal,everyone saying its only its first year,calling me an idiot etc......so i have started to avoid the place for now icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2007, 12:00:31 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 21, 2007, 11:16:04 PM

So...you won't drop the price because there's not enough games on the PS3? Not exactly a positive thing to say about your console, no?

But it's the honest truth.  People spin things and they get crapped on so now they try and own up and be honest and they get crapped on too? 

Yeah, the PS3 doesnt have a killer fall lineup.  At this late stage there is zero that can be done to change that so why pretend? 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2007, 12:40:09 AM »

Sony fails me again.  For their punishment I will by a DS.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2007, 12:43:59 AM »

Ive looked things over and the PSP has a bunch of great games with more to come. Even God of War is coming to the PSP

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2007, 02:13:27 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 22, 2007, 12:00:31 AM

Quote from: Destructor on September 21, 2007, 11:16:04 PM

But it's the honest truth.  People spin things and they get crapped on so now they try and own up and be honest and they get crapped on too? 

Yeah, the PS3 doesnt have a killer fall lineup.  At this late stage there is zero that can be done to change that so why pretend? 
I agree here-it is the truth, and it needs to be said. No point in them losing more money right now if they thing isn't going to move a ton of units. To go back to a previous post-I do think its time to start questioning whether the PS3 is at all a viable platform this gen. Honestly-outside of the bluray and dvd playback/media functionality-I am not sure why I own one. I am convinced I will never play a multiplatform game on PS3 over 360 since I love the 360s controller, interface, and Live scheme so much more. Other than about 3-4 other upcoming titles, there are almost no games coming up I am interested in. I will say one thing-if a good Blu-Ray player were cheap, I would be tempted to cut my losses and pick one up. I think Sony has a massive, serious problem on their hands. I know KMG has been espousing the rather radical idea to give up and start over-and I agree. They have lost this gen. Badly.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2007, 02:28:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 22, 2007, 12:40:09 AM

Sony fails me again.  For their punishment I will by a DS.

does this surprise you? Name one thing they have done right with the ps3

/crickets
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2007, 02:39:12 AM »

/end crickets

I think they've launched poorly, but unlike you, I don't see it as a complete failure.  Instead, they've picked themselves back up nicely and have bought themselves enough time to get through this year to be ready for 2008.  They somewhat failed this year, in that the first two supposedly big games have problems.  Lair had its control and gameplay issues, and Heavenly Sword's only issue is length.  But, they still do have quite a good exclusive and non-exclusive library coming out this year.  I can post the list of upcoming PS3 games for this year if needed, it's actually got quite a few games on it, a lot of people overlook that.  Sure, it may not be as dazzling as Halo 3, but it's competant enough so that the people who bought a PS3 now have good games to play, which will slowly build up a base for 2008 when realistically, thats when all the games that started dev after the PS3 released comes out.

Sony has a massive problem on their hands, that's for sure, but to think that they've lost only a year after release is foolish.  To say there's nothing to be done about it is foolish because they are doing something about it.  To say give up and start over with a new console when they already have a good system out is just out of the question when you think about how console production and development really works.  Especially considering how the PS3 hardware is quite good, the problem is the price and OS.  They dropped the price once, and future price drops are coming, they may not catch up to the 360, but I'll bet you it'll get within $50 in a year.  As for the OS, there's been quite a few improvements to that already, and they'll always be improving it.

By the way, Square finally confirmed FF13 as exclusive to the PS3.  And there are a lot of exclusive games in development, and in turn these games developed by first and second party developers are creating new tools and techniques for third party developers.  For you FPS fans there's Killzone 2, which is looking really good.  The PS3 is also the place for JRPGs, sure there's some coming for the 360, but the JRPG developers are stepping up now for the PS3, starting with the above mentioned FF13.  There's also the Sony staples like God of War which you know will come out.

Also, remember that all companies deny price drops until it happens.  There's no reason to announce another price drop right now as TGS doesn't fall on any big sales days.  Ah, but then, notice how so many PS3 exclusives are releasing on November 20th?  Also note that November 25th is the biggest sales say of the US?  I'm predicting that's when, if not a price drop, we'll see a pared down $400 40gb version of the PS3, or if it's not even that there'll be something to entice people to buy.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:52:24 AM by Turtle » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2007, 03:03:52 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 22, 2007, 02:39:12 AM

They dropped the price once...

Sort of. They got rid of the cheap model and sold the old premium model for $500 and then came out with a new premium model for $600. I am waiting for an actual price drop where I can get one for $400 or less.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2007, 03:32:10 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 22, 2007, 03:03:52 AM

Sort of. They got rid of the cheap model and sold the old premium model for $500 and then came out with a new premium model for $600. I am waiting for an actual price drop where I can get one for $400 or less.

Let's please not start that again.  It's just arguing semantics.  True, they still have the same entry price point, but you get more for your money. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
KingWank
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2007, 03:45:22 AM »

I thought that if anything the $400 pricing rumours would only boost the sales of the 60 gig model.  I don't know about anyone else but I'd consider built in WiFi and the Emotion chip well worth $100.  

I'd consider the Sept and Oct lineup officially trashed w/ Halo3 coming out next week though.  If I was in the market for a new system this holiday season the 360 would be the win.   If DMC4 was exclusive my mind would change in a heartbeat.   It's not though.   3rd party support will probably go more and more toward the 360.  
The PS3 probably has better first party development though.  You'll see Insomniac's second go around on the PS3 with R&C early next month.  That game will finally show a bit of what the PS3 is cabable of visually.  I don't see it selling all that well though except amongst the PS3 faitful (me!).

Timing is everything.   Sony's timing with the PS3 has been utter crap from the get go.  It needs big titles yesterday, not Q1 - Q2 '08.
UT3 might be the ace up the sleeve.  I always liked UT far better than any FPS save Half Life 2.   Halo 3 will be such a good game though, it might not even matter.  

If the PS3's sales numbers eclipse the original Xbox's in 2 years I'd be surprised.   The Xbox 720 will be out by then, heh.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2007, 03:48:02 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 22, 2007, 03:32:10 AM

Quote from: Lee on September 22, 2007, 03:03:52 AM

Let's please not start that again.  It's just arguing semantics.  True, they still have the same entry price point, but you get more for your money. 

except for games  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2007, 03:55:38 AM »

Honesty is one thing, but for Sony to actually say,
"Going aggressive only on price without being able to back it up with content doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me,"  Hirai added that a price cut would have a "real impact" on hardware sales only if Sony also provided enough software titles to support the PS3."
about your product is basically telling all consumers that there is zero reason to buy your console right now and they should be buying the competition instead. THAT is stupid.

A far better answer to the question of a price drop would have been "no". At least you're not burying your product publicly.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2007, 04:17:14 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 22, 2007, 03:55:38 AM

A far better answer to the question of a price drop would have been "no". At least you're not burying your product publicly.

Agreed totally. That's why I was so absolutely floored when he said this. You just DON'T say things like that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2007, 04:40:42 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 22, 2007, 03:55:38 AM

Honesty is one thing, but for Sony to actually say,
"Going aggressive only on price without being able to back it up with content doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me,"  Hirai added that a price cut would have a "real impact" on hardware sales only if Sony also provided enough software titles to support the PS3."
about your product is basically telling all consumers that there is zero reason to buy your console right now and they should be buying the competition instead. THAT is stupid.

Depends- with his current answer it makes it pretty likely that there won't be a price drop until Spring.  So if you are at all interested in getting a PS3 this winter then it's pretty much a signal that you shouldn't bother waiting for a price drop.

However denials without further reasoning may just encourage people to sit and wait for a price drop.  It's the standard "no plans at this time" non-denial. 

Look at where the message is going to get out to- the only people actually hearing this "PR" are people who already know what the game lineup is this winter.  If Uncharted, R&C, Heavenly Sword, and a few others are worth it for you then go ahead.  If they aren't then no amount of Kaz saying "our winter software lineup is amazing" is going to change your mind since we know for a fact there aren't going to be any "surprise" games. 

Sony's cards for the next three to four months are completely on the table.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2007, 04:55:53 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 22, 2007, 04:40:42 AM

Sony's cards for the next three to four months are completely on the table.

six - deuce - ten Rainbow    icon_lol

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2007, 12:48:59 PM »

I knew I should have folded that 45o.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: