http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:21:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony Press Conference  (Read 3906 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2006, 02:27:19 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I think we have to wait to see what Microsoft will present tomorrow, and Nintendo today.  Microsoft could come out with a lame presentation also.  In the end though, Sony still has:

- Ratchet and Clank
- Sly Cooper
- Final Fantasy
- Metal Gear Solid
- MLB
- Gran Turismo
- most likely the next GTA game exclusive for a while
- and a few others I'm sure I'm missing.

Microsoft has:
- Halo

Unless Microsoft has some big surprises, Sony easily wins the exclusives category, which may mean a lot with both consoles relatively the same power


I think we will see alot more exclusives for the 360.  For example Viva Pinata, Chromehounds, Gears of War, PGR, Forza (some, including myself would argue this series is on par with GT).  I am sure there will be many others, for platformers we only have Kameo so far, but it was a fairly decent platformer for a launch title.  There is actually talk that MS has been negotiating with Rockstar for exclusive rights to the next GTA, Sony's deal with Rockstar has expired.

It is honestly too early to tell what sort of exclusives we will see.
Logged
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5310


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I think we have to wait to see what Microsoft will present tomorrow, and Nintendo today.  Microsoft could come out with a lame presentation also.  In the end though, Sony still has:

- Ratchet and Clank
- Sly Cooper
- Final Fantasy
- Metal Gear Solid
- MLB
- Gran Turismo
- most likely the next GTA game exclusive for a while
- and a few others I'm sure I'm missing.

Microsoft has:
- Halo

Unless Microsoft has some big surprises, Sony easily wins the exclusives category, which may mean a lot with both consoles relatively the same power



Lets not forget Xbox Live and Xbox Arcade.   While Sony is releasing a online service the proof is in the pudding.  Heck, people love Xbox Arcade and some consider the price of the 360 worht it just for that
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2006, 02:35:37 PM »

Yeah, you're leaving off some great Microsoft-exclusive stuff that's equivalent to the Sony exclusives there, Scott.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1673


View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »

Quote
I think we will see alot more exclusives for the 360. For example Viva Pinata, Chromehounds, Gears of War, PGR, Forza (some, including myself would argue this series is on par with GT).

Maybe, but Microsoft's library is far behind Sony's, and has a long way to go.  Kameo was okay, but it wasn't close to a Sly Cooper or Ratchet and Clank.  Microsoft has nothing like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy either.  Big holes.

People are buying PS2's now because of MLB as well.  Microsoft really needs to use that High Heat license of theirs.

I'm pretty disappointed with the Sony controller.  After playing more PS2 games lately, the design of the PS2/Sony controller really sucks compared to the 360's controller.  The analog stick placement on the 360 is much more comfortable.  The d-pad on the Sony should have been moved lower.  I can see buying 360 games just because of the better controller.
Logged

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »

Watched this last night live over the web. I enjoyed it but Im not a console gamer. With the PS3's price point I am reminded of 3DO. Im sure people now days will buy this thing but i dont see why.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2183


CINEMAGIC on XM!


View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2006, 02:43:08 PM »

I will definitely not be getting a PS3 anytime soon.  Although I never intended to.  The PS2 was my least played system in the past several years.  In fact, I own only three games for it to this day:  Eye Toy & Ratchet & Clank 1 & 2.  Nothing against Sony but there is nothing (in terms of games or what I saw during the press conference) pulling me to it.  Eventually, after a huge price drop I will have it and only because I have to have all three systems.

For me it is going to be two Nintendo Wii systems, one for me and one for my son with several extra controllers and some choice launch titles (Super Smash Brothers Wii & Zelda, among others).  This will complement my X360 (and my new laptop) very well.  I think I will be happy.   biggrin
Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3364



View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2006, 02:45:34 PM »

This makes me sad  :cry:

I love my PS2.  I have spent far more hours with it than any other gaming system.  I love Final Fantasy as well.  However I will not pay that much for a console.
Logged

Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2006, 02:58:36 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Quote
I think we will see alot more exclusives for the 360. For example Viva Pinata, Chromehounds, Gears of War, PGR, Forza (some, including myself would argue this series is on par with GT).

Maybe, but Microsoft's library is far behind Sony's, and has a long way to go.  Kameo was okay, but it wasn't close to a Sly Cooper or Ratchet and Clank.  Microsoft has nothing like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy either.  Big holes.

People are buying PS2's now because of MLB as well.  Microsoft really needs to use that High Heat license of theirs.

I'm pretty disappointed with the Sony controller.  After playing more PS2 games lately, the design of the PS2/Sony controller really sucks compared to the 360's controller.  The analog stick placement on the 360 is much more comfortable.  The d-pad on the Sony should have been moved lower.  I can see buying 360 games just because of the better controller.


Metal Gear Solid, gameplay wise we are not sure what MS might have in the works.  However I can do without the horrendous MGS story so this is one exclusive I could care less about.

360 is getting much more support from the JRPG area than the XBOX did.  Enchant Arm is looking tremendous.  Also perhaps Molyneaux can live up to the hype he created with Fable when he brings out the sequel on the more powerful 360.
Logged
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2006, 03:01:05 PM »

Oh..I lovedwhat they showed on the PSP. They showed one part where you could put original PS1 games on the memory card and play them on the PSP. Id love to see the old RPGS put on there. That would make me get a PSP for X-Mas smile
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1901


View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2006, 03:14:48 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
This makes me sad  :cry:

I love my PS2.  I have spent far more hours with it than any other gaming system.  I love Final Fantasy as well.  However I will not pay that much for a console.


At least with the PS2, it was over a year from its initial release before any RPGs worth playing came out. It'll probably be similar this time around and maybe theyre will be a price drop in that time. I'm really not very good at waiting to buy a new console, but with Valkyrie Profile and Final Fantasy XII coming out for the PS2 around the same time as the PS3 launch, I'm hoping those tittles will help me avoid wanting a PS3 for a while.
Logged
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5310


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Oh..I lovedwhat they showed on the PSP. They showed one part where you could put original PS1 games on the memory card and play them on the PSP. Id love to see the old RPGS put on there. That would make me get a PSP for X-Mas smile



Yeah, I'm excited about that as well.  Making it free would be awesome, but I would be willing to pay 5 bucks depending on the title
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1673


View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2006, 03:24:28 PM »

Quote
Yeah, you're leaving off some great Microsoft-exclusive stuff that's equivalent to the Sony exclusives there, Scott.

I'm not sure about that.  I'm sure most parents and average gamers have heard of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, and possible Gran Turismo.  Microsoft just doesn't have that.

Sony will do well this generation again based on name strength, and library strength.  Microsoft just doesn't have an exciting exclusive lineup.  I played my XBox over the PS2 a lot because I played a lot of games that just looked better on the XBox (stuff like Madden).

If Microsoft comes up with some cool exclusives tomorrow, great.  Otherwise, Sony will still do pretty well.  Chromehounds will be bettered by the same company on the PS3 (with their other mech series), and the other games you mentioned probably won't sell terribly well.  Forza was very good though, but still needs a while to build to Gran Turismo's name recognition, and Forza needs a ton more cars to compete as well.

Quote
Metal Gear Solid, gameplay wise we are not sure what MS might have in the works. However I can do without the horrendous MGS story so this is one exclusive I could care less about.

MGS sells very, very well.  Microsoft needs other big selling exclusives beyond Halo.

I'd love the 360 to be dominant.  Its my favorite console ever at the moment, and I'd rather see the American company do well, but I think predicting Sony's doom because of one bad presentation is a bit early.
Logged

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5310


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2006, 03:49:28 PM »

Quote
I'd love the 360 to be dominant. Its my favorite console ever at the moment, and I'd rather see the American company do well, but I think predicting Sony's doom because of one bad presentation is a bit early



I don't think Sony is doomed.  No matter what us Americans and Canadians think Sony is king in Japan and will be number #1 over there.


I just feel they have priced themselves into number 2 and maybe 3.


Again time will tell.
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15987


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2006, 04:43:29 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
This makes me sad  :cry:

I love my PS2.  I have spent far more hours with it than any other gaming system.  I love Final Fantasy as well.  However I will not pay that much for a console.

Here here. Odds are simply due to the amount of games I have, I've spent more time with the PS2 as well. But I've also put in lots of time on my Gamecube and Xbox as well.

Final Fantasy though...eh. They've lost it for the most part (IMHO) since the PS2 days. Not worth spending $600 on, at least.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2006, 07:28:20 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Quote
Yeah, you're leaving off some great Microsoft-exclusive stuff that's equivalent to the Sony exclusives there, Scott.

I'm not sure about that.  I'm sure most parents and average gamers have heard of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, and possible Gran Turismo.  Microsoft just doesn't have that.

Sony will do well this generation again based on name strength, and library strength.  Microsoft just doesn't have an exciting exclusive lineup.  I played my XBox over the PS2 a lot because I played a lot of games that just looked better on the XBox (stuff like Madden).

If Microsoft comes up with some cool exclusives tomorrow, great.  Otherwise, Sony will still do pretty well.  Chromehounds will be bettered by the same company on the PS3 (with their other mech series), and the other games you mentioned probably won't sell terribly well.  Forza was very good though, but still needs a while to build to Gran Turismo's name recognition, and Forza needs a ton more cars to compete as well.

Quote
Metal Gear Solid, gameplay wise we are not sure what MS might have in the works. However I can do without the horrendous MGS story so this is one exclusive I could care less about.

MGS sells very, very well.  Microsoft needs other big selling exclusives beyond Halo.

I'd love the 360 to be dominant.  Its my favorite console ever at the moment, and I'd rather see the American company do well, but I think predicting Sony's doom because of one bad presentation is a bit early.


Supposedly just announced for the 360...

Grand Theft Auto IV October 16 to Xbox 360 ONLY.
Logged
Big Jake
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1300


View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »

uh, Arkon, GTA 4 is for both consoles.  IT will be exclusive *Content* for the X360.  The same way, I suppose, that Soul Calibur 2 had exclusive content for all three systems.
Logged

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2006, 01:12:02 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
uh, Arkon, GTA 4 is for both consoles.  IT will be exclusive *Content* for the X360.  The same way, I suppose, that Soul Calibur 2 had exclusive content for all three systems.


Aye I saw that, when I posted the only info out was that MS was claiming exclusivity.
Logged
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 411



View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2006, 07:00:14 PM »

As has been said before in this thread.......where is Killzone 2?  The biggest splash Sony made last year and nothing on it this year?

- shaggy
Logged

depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5540


View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2006, 07:09:20 PM »

The lack of Killzone 2 is a bit mystifying.

I also liked seeing Kaz or whoever whip out the PSP and show the PSX game on his memory stick.  Calvin and I were talking about it last night - it's getting harder and harder to go back and play those favorites like FFVII, VIII, and IX.  If I'm able to put them on my PSP and play on the go, I would be a lot more inclined to play through them.
Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 62 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.032s, 2q)