http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony: How many Blu-ray movies are there in the US?  (Read 1246 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:31:25 PM »

Taken from a recent newspost via Phil Harrison:

Speaking to British newspaper The Guardian, Harrison was upbeat about the amount of software which will be available for the PS3 around launch - both in terms of game titles, and Blu-Ray movies.

"We have shown more playable games than ever before, so the signs are good," he commented, "and right now there are more than 100 Blu-ray movies available today in the US. More than 100 games are in development, and all the major third-party publishers have pledged their strategic support for the platform."

Harrison described work on the PS3 as being "in full swing, from a developer point of view," and pointed to the firm's success in delivering hardware to its partners long before the scheduled launch.

Okay, yeah, this is a good thing and all that. Nice to see so many PS3 games in development.

Unfortunately, there's one issue - how many Blu-ray movies are available in the US today? There sure as hell ain't 100. A quick check of a master list shows that there are 24 movies available now, and another 30 due out before the end of the year.

So...are there really 100 PS3 games in development? Or is that just more bullshit PR spin as well?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:48:08 PM »

Nice leg-work there, buddy smile

... and I'm not referring to your "Roadside Attraction" activities. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 01:53:03 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

I don't exactly consider this leg-work, as I just found all the details via a few sites I visit.

It just makes my posts seem more exciting when they come out of nowhere like that. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »

You should change your avatar to the Hello Vader image. Much funnier than the Dark Helmet one. Oh, and I think it was designed by the same people who came up with those butter mints that dominated hotel lobbies in the eighties.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Purge"

I don't exactly consider this leg-work, as I just found all the details via a few sites I visit.

It just makes my posts seem more exciting when they come out of nowhere like that. biggrin

Admit it, you stole this post from Dubious Quality!

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2006/08/phil-harrison-makes-stuff-up-to-please.html

:wink:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2006/08/phil-harrison-makes-stuff-up-to-please.html

No, I'd never steal news directly from Bill Harris! biggrin

Great little blog he has.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 05:07:57 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Arkon"

No, I'd never steal news directly from Bill Harris! biggrin

Great little blog he has.

Not to go too off topic, but I want to say that Bill Harris has one of the best written blogs I have ever read... yeah I said it, that blog rocks!

biggrin
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 05:12:28 PM »

Well there probably actually is 100 available. But they don't want to release them.  Tongue Phil should have said that, it makes so much more sense.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:29:47 PM »

Maybe they meant 100 copies.  :twisted:

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 09:02:36 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Maybe they meant 100 copies.  :twisted:

Ouch, dude, ouch. biggrin

Maybe he meant 100 copies sold? Or shipped?

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »

It's going to be a shame (for Sony) if Blu-Ray doesn't prevail in the next-gen DVD battle with HD-DVD, because they've put so much at stake with the Playstation 3 that it's either a hit or miss without much of an in between.

My goal is to get a PS3 when it sees it's first price drop (plus that'll give Sony plenty of time to get new revisions of the hardware out fixing whatever problems came with the "guinea pig" (aka launch) batch of consoles.)
I just hope I'm not paying for something that isn't even going to become the next standard.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 01:58:43 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
My goal is to get a PS3 when it sees it's first price drop (plus that'll give Sony plenty of time to get new revisions of the hardware out fixing whatever problems came with the "guinea pig" (aka launch) batch of consoles.)
I just hope I'm not paying for something that isn't even going to become the next standard.

You'll find out by the time you buy the console if Blu-ray will be the new standard or not. It's just a question if you want to drop the cash anymore.

only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 06:53:54 AM »

are there 100 games in deelopment?  I don't doubt it... since it does take quite a while to get a game together from concept to store shelves.  That doesn't say (or mean) that there will be 100 gaems at launch.  We all know that theres Medal Gear Solid 4 for PS3 coiming in Spring/Summer 2007... that's definitely"in development."

as for the next-gen war of homve movies, I say it doesn't matter if more manufacturers follow LG and make a combo device that plays both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 08:24:36 AM »

Movies won't be a deal breaker for me for the PS3.

Although, can blu-ray players play normal dvds?

There are a lot of games that I want that have already been announced for the PS3, they don't have to be release titles, just games that I know will come out.

In general, it's all about how the PS3 handles gaming, especially online gaming.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Movies won't be a deal breaker for me for the PS3.

Although, can blu-ray players play normal dvds?

There are a lot of games that I want that have already been announced for the PS3, they don't have to be release titles, just games that I know will come out.

In general, it's all about how the PS3 handles gaming, especially online gaming.

Yes, Blu-Ray players can play normal DVD's. I have both a HD-DVD player and a Blu-Ray player and honestly.....the HD-DVD's out now kill their Blu-Ray competetors.

Blu-Ray is using MPEG-2 for their encoding (same as DVD) and only have single layer discs right now (25GB), while HD-DVD uses dual layer discs (30GB) and use VC-1 (a new vastly superior codec) for their encoding.

Blu-Ray discs now have many issues, including inferior picture quality and hardly any extras due to limited space and using MPEG-2  for their encoding which takes up way more space than VC-1. It also seems that Sony used horrible masters for their titles as there are dirt and scratches on lots of their masters used for their inital Blu-Ray releases. It seems like they just don't care.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 01:34:05 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Yes, Blu-Ray players can play normal DVD's. I have both a HD-DVD player and a Blu-Ray player and honestly.....the HD-DVD's out now kill their Blu-Ray competetors.

You have both? Either you have one heck of a bank account, or you really love your high definition movie watching.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 09:36:09 PM »

Blu-Ray discs now have many issues, including inferior picture quality and hardly any extras due to limited space and using MPEG-2  for their encoding which takes up way more space than VC-1. It also seems that Sony used horrible masters for their titles as there are dirt and scratches on lots of their masters used for their inital Blu-Ray releases. It seems like they just don't care.

well,i can safely say that i think HD-DVD is the one for me then

but to tell you the honest truth...i am perfectly happy wih plain old DVD

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »

Blu-Ray is using MPEG-2 for their encoding (same as DVD) and only have single layer discs right now (25GB), while HD-DVD uses dual layer discs (30GB) and use VC-1 (a new vastly superior codec) for their encoding.

Blu-Ray also supports all the new codecs like VC-1 and H.264 but for some reason most of the first movies are still using MPEG2. Seems to be just sloppy work by the studios who just wanted to get movies out quickly. Plus you can have a diffrence as to wether any work is done in re-mastering the movie.

It seems strange that Sony wouldn't make sure the studios are releasing the movies in the best shape possible.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 09:54:58 AM »

That's interesting, seems most people are leaning towards HD-DVD. I read an article a while back showing the space HD-DVD discs were taking up and most of them broke the 20gb point, some of them even higher than 25gb. The author said she was worried about how close they were to being maxed out (the dual layered discs) especially if studios want to put more extras on the discs,etc.

A dual layer blu-ray disc is 50gb.. I mean a dual-layer HD-DVD is only 5gb more than a blu-ray SINGLE layer disc!

So I'm confused as well why Sony would be letting movie studios release blu-ray discs if they aren't at their best.

Another article I read said that in general blu-ray movies were darker than the HD-DVD ones, which were brighter.

I'm definitely going to sit this one out until one or the other wins before investing that kind of money.. and I truly hope it DOES matter who wins because it's just plain stupid having two different formats when you go to best buy all mixed up.. and you know Sony Studios isn't going to release their movies on HD-DVD!
Besides both formats are completely backwards compatible with regular DVDs so I'm also happy with DVDs until the prices come down and one of them is showing to be a clear winner.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 02:18:12 PM »

the issue with space is that Blue-Ray cant produce their DL discs effectively yet since they have a very high failure rate, if and when they get this process worked out it will help them out. Blue-Ray has tons of potential but I dont want to pay 1000 for a possibility of movies with good picture quality when I already have an HD-DVD player that has good picture quality now.

I am hoping HD-DVD wins the format war and will cast my vote by buying their movies. I like Sony for camcorders and game systems but I have always hated how they deal with their proprietary formats since they usually are very controlling and seem to do everything they can to make it fail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: