http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:24:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SONY get publishing rights to Ghostbusters  (Read 4097 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:02:07 AM »

just when something really huge could really pull Atari out of the shit,this happens...although they may not of had a chance with Ghostbusters being a SONY film(Columbia)

worse case scenario-Ghostbusters:the game becomes a PS3 exclusive
better case scenario-Ghostbusters:the game becomes a PS3 timed exclusive

it would be silly for Atari to scrap all the 360,PC,DS and the Wii versions of the game

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/090506Ghostbustersnews.aspx

The Sony event in Sydney is still rolling on but in espionage-like movements that would put Sam Fisher to shame, our Gameplayer staff have managed to get more breaking news through to us. This particular announcement was left until the end, and with good reason; it’s huge.

According to our guys on the frontline, Sony has made an agreement with Atari to publish the soon to be released Ghostbusters: The Video Game. While this news may not initially come across as particularly groundbreaking, it’s the implications of the late announcement that are potentially extreme.

At its most extreme, the news could mean that Ghostbusters just became a Sony exclusive product. If this turns out to be the case it would mean that only the PS2 and PS3 would receive the game, while the Xbox 360, Wii, DS and PC would be left in the dark. A less extreme implication may well be that the proposed multiplatform release date just got thrown out the door. It may still arrive on all of the announced platforms, but Ghostbusters may get some exclusive Sony time before the other platforms get their chance to wrangle ghouls. Because all good speculation comes in threes, it may also mean that a late PSP port could be added to the list, resulting in a wholly Sony exclusive release (be it timed or indefinite) across all three of its supported platforms.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »

Yeah, it's problematic.  While Sony first party games are generally good, it's not so clear cut for publishing deals.  What this does mean is that there could be a bit more money behind the game.

I suspect part of this publishing deal are big licensing fee discounts.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

my post anticipated game this year. not happy with how this can play out.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »

If Sony fucks this up I will NEVER buy a PS3 to spite their arrogant shitty asses.  I've been on the verge of buying a PS3 for some time but their shenanigans keep on snapping me out of it.  This is would be just a dick move on their part.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »

Why is this worse than other kinds of exclusivity deals??  MS has screwed over countless of PS3 owners, lastly with Fallout 3, keeping all dlc's from PS3 owners. Or, am I missing something here?

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:07 AM »

Because the game is basically done, that's why.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 06, 2009, 10:00:46 AM

If Sony fucks this up I will NEVER buy a PS3 to spite their arrogant shitty asses.  I've been on the verge of buying a PS3 for some time but their shenanigans keep on snapping me out of it.  This is would be just a dick move on their part.

lol what ? Is it also a dick move when microsoft gets exclusives and cans the other platforms the game was supposed to release on ?  Just because it's close to being done doesnt change shit. Dry your eyes and realize if you want to play all the games this gen you got to own all the consoles.

But i still think it will only be timed exclusive or they maybe allow wii and pc versions in the contract.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 06, 2009, 10:36:07 AM

Because the game is basically done, that's why.

More or less what Maggot said...why is that suddenly worse?? Because you dont have a PS3 is my guess?

I'm not trying to be a dick here, although it may sound like it, but I just dont get the sony hate - people have been complaining for months about how stupid Sony execs are, and now it seems to me they are making a financially sound move, generating more sales for themselves, i.e. more money. Whats wrong with that?

A new one
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »

So them announcing this so far into the process, with many, many people who DON'T own a PS3 who have been eagerly awaiting a multiplatform release in just over a month shouldn't be considered a dick move?  They have intentionally waited until the last moment to spring this- they could have done this even before Atari got involved but they chose not to.  Yes, I call it a dick move.

So yes, I'm pissed that one of the games I anticipate the most may not come out on the platform I own when it was announced.  If it had been an exclusive or timed exclusive from day one or even a couple of months ago I would have resigned myself to it and possibly considered a PS3 purchase (again).  This just pisses me off.

And when did Microsoft get an exclusive and can the other platforms outright, this close to release?  DLC is one thing, and yes, that's shitty.  The full game is another thing entirely.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 06, 2009, 10:50:22 AM

people have been complaining for months about how stupid Sony execs are, and now it seems to me they are making a financially sound move, generating more sales for themselves, i.e. more money. Whats wrong with that?

People have been complaining about Sony's arrogance and condescending attitude towards their potential buyers, not about their financial prowess.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

Quote from: Maggot on May 06, 2009, 10:44:47 AM

Dry your eyes and realize if you want to play all the games this gen you got to own all the consoles.

Well, potentially up until now, all but one or two games I wanted to play were on my consoles of choice.  I have no desire to play them all.

Mike Dunn
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:37:13 AM »

Is Sony publishing the new movie too?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 06, 2009, 11:37:13 AM

Is Sony publishing the new movie too?

Yes pretty sure they are...  There was rumours about a ps3 special edition with ghostbusters movie on top of the game.

I guess it was good for sony to get Phil Harrison to atari. :p
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »

If they are, wouldn't it make sense that they might want to do tie-ins between the two and this might not necessarily mean anything catastrophic in terms of what platform it would be on?

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/05/...ps3-exclusive/

Ghostbusters is to be published in PAL territories by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, on June 19th, and will be exclusive at that time.

http://gamespress.com/release.asp?c=p%0B%CBl%BD

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) , Sony Pictures Consumer Products, and Atari Europe today announced that Ghostbusters: The Video Game for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®2 is to be published in PAL territories by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in June

So only in europe and australia.  icon_confused
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Maggot on May 06, 2009, 12:06:37 PM

Ghostbusters is to be published in PAL territories by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, on June 19th, and will be exclusive at that time.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) , Sony Pictures Consumer Products, and Atari Europe today announced that Ghostbusters: The Video Game for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®2 is to be published in PAL territories by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in June

So Europe and Australia get only the PS3/PS2 releases and the US gets all of them?  Is that right?

Mike Dunn
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 12:25:15 PM »

found this as well

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/xbox360/confirmed-ghostbusters-playstation-exclusive-after-sony-deal-$1293483.htm

check the first update nearer to the bottom(quoted below)

[UPDATE] - VideoGaming247 has gained comment from an Atari representative, who has stated that the game should release on non-PlayStation platforms later in the year, though there are no official dates.

[UPDATE 3] - An Atari spokesperson has told MCV that non-PlayStation platforms will indeed see the Ghostbusters Video Game by the end of 2009:

"I can confirm that Sony will publish Ghostbusters on PS3 and PS2 on June 19th, and that the Xbox 360, Wii and DS versions will be coming from Atari later in the year, an Atari rep told MCV.

"There is currently no confirmed date for the game."

so i am fine with that,i mean after the PS3 always have to wait for games the 360 get a year or so ago...i will be waiting
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:28:36 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 12:42:13 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 06, 2009, 12:16:04 PM

Quote from: Maggot on May 06, 2009, 12:06:37 PM

So Europe and Australia get only the PS3/PS2 releases and the US gets all of them?  Is that right?

thankfully no,or at least not as i understand..US no doubt will still get the PS3/2 versions at a later date(wouldnt expect it to be that much longer)

the 360,wii,DS (and prolly PC)versions will all come together for both PAL/NTSC nearer to the end of the year(Batman just can't get away from this can it?)....we here in the UK were expecting Ghostbusters June 19th for the 360(you guys it was gonna be June 16th)

EDIT:PSP version has now been confirmed for Autumn/Fall...which i can't say i have any confidence in(too soon,buggy as hell and Atari having so little time working on it doesn't work for me,they aren't exactly famous for their bugfree games)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:43:45 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 12:42:51 PM »

This is probably a smart move by Sony.  Although I can't see many people running out to buy a PS3 just to play Ghostbusters.  Especially if it is just a timed exclusive.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 06, 2009, 12:42:51 PM

This is probably a smart move by Sony.  Although I can't see many people running out to buy a PS3 just to play Ghostbusters.  Especially if it is just a timed exclusive.

Smart move?  You think?  I think this will engender a lot of ill will, personally.  This hurts the consumer and unless Sony handed over buckets of cash, Atari, for sure.  This is, hands down, a dick move no matter how you look at it.

Mike Dunn
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 06, 2009, 12:47:49 PM

Smart move?  You think?  I think this will engender a lot of ill will, personally.  This hurts the consumer and unless Sony handed over buckets of cash, Atari, for sure.  This is, hands down, a dick move no matter how you look at it.

Its beginning to sound a lot like sour grapes, but I get what you are feeling. I feel the same way towards MS in LOTS of areas.

Its obviously meant to enhance sales of the PS3, for people interested in the franchise, I still dont see anything wrong with that

A new one
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 06, 2009, 12:53:03 PM

Its beginning to sound a lot like sour grapes, but I get what you are feeling. I feel the same way towards MS in LOTS of areas.

Its obviously meant to enhance sales of the PS3, for people interested in the franchise, I still dont see anything wrong with that

I seriously doubt this game will enhance sales of the PS3 in the middle of the summer.

I had enough interest in the 360 AND Wii versions of the game to consider buying both.  A month away from release and we find out that those versions are indefinitely delayed- 6 months would be best case scenario.  And people are wondering why I'm upset?!?! 

Mike Dunn
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

Didn't some Sony exec recently laugh at MS for paying for exclusivity?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »

i would actually be suprised if SONY did hand over 'buckets of cash'..and not just because of their inability to put their hands in their pockets...but they own Ghostbusters films and franchise anyway...if they had to pay cash for this exclusivity deal then they must have some dumb advisors

i am gutted also,but as long as it is still coming to the 360(and in my region!!)..then i am fine with it..although June also lost Batman(i can hear CK mocking me already)..its still a pretty full month

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 06, 2009, 01:02:46 PM

Yes but as Turtle said they probably arent paying just giving a discount on the ghostbusters license.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 01:08:11 PM »

My most anticipated game of the spring/summer pushed back because of Sony's dickery. Fuck you Sony. And yes, I own one of your Blu-Ray players, but still, fuck you.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 01:10:22 PM »

This probably has nothing to do with Sony movies studios owning the movie license- they operate as independent entities.  

Also, this probably has less to do with Sony being "evil" and snapping up a license but more with Atari's financial woes.  Platform exclusivity is one thing but the fact that Sony is actually publishing the game in at least part of the word indicates to me that Atari is having some major difficulties with their abilities as publisher.  
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »

Also, I'd love to know if everyone in this thread who is bitching that doesn't own a PS3 would bitch equally if it had been reversed and MS published the game, you know "on principal".  Somehow, I suspect not. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 01:14:05 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 06, 2009, 11:11:26 AM

Quote from: Razgon on May 06, 2009, 10:50:22 AM

people have been complaining for months about how stupid Sony execs are, and now it seems to me they are making a financially sound move, generating more sales for themselves, i.e. more money. Whats wrong with that?

People have been complaining about Sony's arrogance and condescending attitude towards their potential buyers, not about their financial prowess.

Not true.  There have been many, many posts about Sony driving themselves into the shitter with bad decisions.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 01:15:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 06, 2009, 01:11:41 PM

Also, I'd love to know if everyone in this thread who is bitching that doesn't own a PS3 would bitch equally if it had been reversed and MS published the game, you know "on principal".  Somehow, I suspect not. 

I would.  I hate bullshit like this. And yes, I know they pretty much did the same thing with Bioshock. If they would have at least let the Wii version out the door I would have been a little cooler with it.  A dick move is a dick move.

Mike Dunn
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

It hurts hardcore forum posters like us.  The average Ghostbusters fan probably will not know all of the backstory.  He is only going to know that if he wants to play Ghostbusters he'll need a PS3.  Sure it hurts Atari.  But since Ghostbusters is a Sony property they may have not had a choice.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »

Well, I'm spitting mad about this.  Yes, I realize I am being childish when I say this, but it will be a cold day in hell before I buy a PS3 now.  Fuck you, Sony.

Mike Dunn
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 06, 2009, 01:16:50 PM

Sure it hurts Atari.  But since Ghostbusters is a Sony property they may have not had a choice.

Doubtful- Atari had the IP rights contractually- Sony can't pull those away until they expire.  Any platform exclusivity probably came out of Atari needing to give up something to make Sony consider the deal.  It could have been Riddick or some other non Sony movies property and the results would have been the same.  

Lest anyone forget, the Spiderman movie games (another Sony Pictures property) were multiplatform as well.  
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

Not to cause offense, but do people really care that much about this game? Is the interest level really that high? Pushing the game into October/November seems like an awful idea.

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »

Hilarious that it's bad business and a dick move when Sony does it.

Maybe I can get some Fallout 3 and GTA4 DLC on my PS3 about the time you get Ghostbusters  icon_biggrin

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »

It's kind of funny to see 360 owners being all mad about this after all the times PS3-owners have had to suffer because of Microsoft buying up exclusivity for game after game. I think buying exclusivity is a stupid thing no matter which direction it goes, but getting all up in arms about this shows a lack of perspective regarding the treatment MS gives players.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 06, 2009, 01:23:16 PM

It's kind of funny to see 360 owners being all mad about this after all the times PS3-owners have had to suffer because of Microsoft buying up exclusivity for game after game.

Nope. It's fair because I own a 360 and not a PS3  Tongue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 01:32:39 PM »

as said i am still fine with it

i think the worse thing is for other people who seem really upset,is that it has come so close to the supposed release date.....with 6 weeks to go Sony leeps in(so it would seem)and spoil a lot of peoples plans(and it isnt just 360,its also Wii,DS and PC)

is Ghostbusters worth it?.....yes,the film holds fond memories for a lot of us,and to be honest the game footage looks great
Batman was pushed back for technical/final polish reasons(or so it would seem)

is it about time Microsoft got into the movie business?.....maybe,LOL

i have both a PS3 and 360(and a Wii)..and the 360 version is the one i choose,my choice means i have to wait...so be it

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 01:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Maggot on May 06, 2009, 01:05:23 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 06, 2009, 01:02:46 PM

Yes but as Turtle said they probably arent paying just giving a discount on the ghostbusters license.

That's paying. icon_razz

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 06, 2009, 01:23:16 PM

It's kind of funny to see 360 owners being all mad about this after all the times PS3-owners have had to suffer because of Microsoft buying up exclusivity for game after game. I think buying exclusivity is a stupid thing no matter which direction it goes, but getting all up in arms about this shows a lack of perspective regarding the treatment MS gives players.

What about the Wii owners?  That version of the game was completely different.

Mike Dunn
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: