http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:45:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony: DSi is for kids, the PSP is for winners  (Read 1420 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:44:39 PM »

As always, I can't make this stuff up:

(entire article including Sony's PR quoted because I can)

-------
Well, chalk this up for out of the ordinary -- Sony's PR team just sent us a "Statement from Sony PlayStation on PSP and Competitive Landscape" that basically boils down to SCEA director of hardware marketing John Koller calling the DSi a kid's toy that "ignores significant gamer demographics" and has minimal third-party support compared to the library of "blockbuster" titles on the PSP. Seriously, it's so weird we're just going to reprint the whole thing:

If Nintendo is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the "kids" market that they've always engaged, there isn't much new with the DSi to support that. Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi. Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP. From our own first-party studios, we're launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm, and we're also planning a steady stream of downloadable games -- both new titles and PSone classics -- to add to the content that PSP owners can already purchase wirelessly through PlayStation Store.

Pretty strong words in response to the fairly un-hyped US launch of the DSi tomorrow -- especially since Ninty's sold just about twice as many total DS units than Sony's 50m PSPs, hard numbers from which no amount of marketing bluster can really distract. In fact, if we were in charge at Sony, we'd be more worried about the emergence of the iPhone and iPod touch, which have sold over 30m units total and attracted a ton of buzz from game developers while the PSP seems to be stagnating in the face of endless rumors of a UMD-less PSP2. Harsh truth? Maybe, maybe not -- you tell us.
-------

Huh. Thoughts?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »

You know, when I had history lessons, I was taught to always take the "Source" in mind when reading something, and at times I think thats exactly why we tend to scoff the PR of some major companies.

Now, to be truthfull - Sony simply cannot be in business IF everyone at the top are as moronic as they are made to sound here from time to time. I'm pretty damn sure they MUST be aware of the stuff , and tons other, that we are here. I know thats the case of my company, and the responses we get from costumers.

Now, the thing is - how much of the above information do you think is digested in the same manner as we here on the boards do? I mean, to be honest, we are the games/tech geeks of the world, which is also one of the reasons we are here- So, my reasoning is, that what we read into PR releases like this, simply isnt what the "comman man" reads into it since they do not have all the information we do.

I may be wrong,but I simply cannot believe in the reasoning that a major compani is *that' clueless as is being described here from time to time.

And no offense meant towards the post or you Destructor - just my two cents on the topic :-)

A new one
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »

My favorite part of this is:

Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP.

Well, let's see.  DS has had two Guitar Hero games already.  DS has had an Assassin's Creed game.  DS  has had tons of Final Fantasy games.  DS has had Hannah Montana stuff.  So, what's the point of that statement?  PSP finally gets around (after a huge hiatus) to getting some good games coming.  Meanwhile, Nintendo has done it during that whole hiatus and also has a ton of stellar games that have just come out or are about to come out.  Not to mention a new Zelda this year.

The PSP is a fine machine and I know Sony feels they have to say something to combat the DSi release.  My feeling is they should just say nothing and look better in the process.  It's so ludicrous when these companies do this.  Go ahead and hype your platform. Why do you have to do it such that it looks like sour grapes when you talk about the competition?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:54:56 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 05, 2009, 09:54:19 PM

And no offense meant towards the post or you Destructor - just my two cents on the topic :-)

No problem at all. I just can't believe some of the things these companies say from time to time either. Why I like opening these posts with a 'I can't make this stuff up' line.

Grue - I was going to bring that up as well, but I figured that some attentive reader would say it far better than I could. And as a FYI as I'm poking around for next week's releases - the DS is getting a Hannah game just DAYS after Sony made this announcement. Oh, and the PSP is NOT (at least not in the same week).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »

One thing I want to comment on, the "common" person doesn't read press releases, nor do they care.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:12:24 AM »

Well, I'm posting from my new DSi, and I'm rather impressed so far. new internet browser is WAY better than before

Ruining language with my terrible words.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:15:05 AM »

Obviously, seeing how only kids play games. So it's no wonder that the DS actually has games for it where as the psp has jack and shit. Makes sense to me.

I too got a DSi and like it so far. I dunno about the browser being any good, heh.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »

PSP actually has a lot of very good games.  That argument is over despite some people wanting to present that image still.  But yes, the DS has a lot more games, and while a great many of them are shit, that small percentage of good to great games numbers quite high.  And yes, there are quite a few shitting PSP games too.

So, did anyone bother to read the whole press statement before buying wholesale into Joystiq/Engadget's usual inciting "edgy" reporting and jump on the Sony R Retards bandwagon?

Here is the entire statement again.  But this time, read it without being predisposed to being insulted by every little thing that's said:
If Nintendo is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the "kids" market that they've always engaged, there isn't much new with the DSi to support that. Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi. Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP. From our own first-party studios, we're launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm, and we're also planning a steady stream of downloadable games -- both new titles and PSone classics -- to add to the content that PSP owners can already purchase wirelessly through PlayStation Store.

What this boils down to is taking the same PR tripe that any company will put out, and don't try to deny it.  We've seen similar stuff from MS and Nintendo, even Apple.  What's the difference here?  Well, it's Sony, and it's a blogging news site that's putting a slant on it to get more clicks, because after all, this sort of slant on Sony blurbs always gets more hits than usual.  I mean, it got someone to repost it in a forum, with a link back to the site after all...

Read through that whole statement and you'll find that what they say actually makes sense.  The DS is more kid oriented, and the PSP has more mature games, and games that are technically bigger than DS games.  And yes, there is a demographic that the DS neglects that the PSP fills.  There are types of games that you just won't ever see on the DS just as there are types you won't see on the PSP.

If you just read what the newsblog and Destructor says without looking for yourself, you come off with the idea that Sony PR is just insulting everyone.  But read the actual statement in full without any pretense, you probably wouldn't have read any insulting tones into the statement.  Frankly, it was the bad reporting and, well, tendency of the reporter towards sensationalizing anything Sony PR puts out that puts that insulting tone in your head.  Whether they do this on purpose, or subconsciously is debatable, but it does get them more clicks as people like to read the next bit of slag.  It's the same for a lot of stories where they know they can get away with slanting it in one way or another.

You could read this post as, "Blogger gets insulted over the DS being called a kid console, gets angry for no reason."

The article goes on to talk about numbers, in one point talking about how the PSP with only 50 million units sold worldwide was dwarfed by the DS/DSi.  But then they use the same number to try and slag the PSP by comparing it to the 30 million worldwise selling Iphone/Ipod touch.  50 million units and still selling is nothing to scoff at.

Sure, Sony has done plenty to deserve harsh scrutiny, that I would agree.  But, it's interesting to note that not all of the negative news you hear is deserved.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:20:34 AM by Turtle » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »

It's still a retarded statement if nothing for this part

Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi

lol what? Yeah the thing is aliening so many people it's barely selling! It sells so little that game developers are actually abandoning, like square enix! Fucking sony is bitter up the ass this generation and will say anything to make themselves look good. You're delusional if you think this was nothing more than that. Lets see, in the last 6 months I have bought 4 DS games. In the last 2 years I have bought ZERO psp games. Sony sure is a winner with their market and chance for developers to make bank! I have even have a modded psp and care to little about the games I won't even download any. It's bad.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 06, 2009, 01:12:24 AM

Well, I'm posting from my new DSi, and I'm rather impressed so far. new internet browser is WAY better than before

well so far I'm pretty underwhelmed with mine and trust me, I was very excited about its release.  The web browser, while better than the stand alone web browser that I paid $34.99 for two years ago, is still quite primitive and lacks features such as java script that is required on most web sites.  Turned mine on and the first two sites I went to I got the message, "Your browser is missing a plugin that is required to view content on this page"  I just turned the browser off after that and probably won't use it again unless I am desperate.

Then I played Fire Emblem for about 3 hours and my battery died.  This is on a full charge, too.  So I wound up spending more time playing my old DS Lite while my DSI charged. 

Don't get me wrong, it does have some cool features, but at the end of the day, it's just a DS with a shorter battery life and a primitive web browser.  I'm pretty sure this was Nintendo's attempt to outdo the PSP.  If so, they failed miserably.  The PSP has a much better web browser, has had downloadable games for a long time, and graphically the DS/DSI can't come close to the PSP.

BUT, the DS has it where it counts and that's with great games. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on April 06, 2009, 12:11:00 PM

Then I played Fire Emblem for about 3 hours and my battery died.  This is on a full charge, too.  So I wound up spending more time playing my old DS Lite while my DSI charged. 

3 hours? That's it? Didn't the DSL run for like a dozen or so (assuming you didn't have Wi-Fi on)?

And Turtle, the reason why I pasted the entire thing in (with a comment saying so) was to avoid the linkback in the first place. The link it still there for confirmation reasons. Plus, I do partially agree with Engadget talking about the iPhone as a threat - while you'll never see games on there for $30-40 apiece, there might be a decrease of people buying games and/or consoles (on both the DS and PSP sides) because they now have the semi-game machine that is the iPhone.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure this was Nintendo's attempt to outdo the PSP.  If so, they failed miserably.

I don't think they feel any need to try and "outdo the PSP". They've already been doing that for years.

The browser is a huge improvement. I don't think it's reasonable to expect Flash or Java support, personally. But for browsing sites like this one, it's much faster than it was before.

As for the battery life, I definitely think it's shorter, but you might want to turn off your wifi if you aren't using it (the yellow light) and adjust your screen brightness down a notch or two if you haven't already.

I love the ability to pop carts in and out without turning the system off. Love the ability to adjust brightness from inside a game. Love having a volume rocker instead of a slider, though I wish the volume adjustment were a bit more fine when wearing headphones. Speakers are a big improvement.

One thing that seems like a big deal that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that the buttons are dramatically different. They are very clicky now with strong tactile feedback. This includes the d-pad which seems to me to have a shorter throw now, too. (The shoulder buttons have a bit longer throw now). I'm curious to see how those are going to do in the Castlevania/Contra games.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 06, 2009, 10:42:32 AM

In the last 2 years I have bought ZERO psp games.

Then you've missed some awfully good games.  Quality games for the PSP don't come along as often, but there are a lot of very good titles for the system.

That said, Sony's statement does sound a lot like sour grapes.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 06, 2009, 01:59:17 PM

Quality games for the PSP don't come along as often, but there are a lot of very good titles for the system.

Definitely. Heck, last March you had two blockbusters in one month (God of War & FFCC) then almost nothing the rest of the year. It's really frustrating. The system was finally (IMO) gaining some momentum (we're talking Christmas '07) and then *poof* no more new games coming out.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »

From what I've heard (mine is delivered today), the highest brightness is actually higher than a DSL, but you get really short battery life.  Try knocking it down one level and you should get better results.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 06, 2009, 02:11:23 PM

From what I've heard (mine is delivered today), the highest brightness is actually higher than a DSL, but you get really short battery life.  Try knocking it down one level and you should get better results.

Yeah, it's really bright. I find second or third from lowest are fine for indoors.
I do wish they hadn't changed the power plug yet again.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »

Considering how Sony isn't setting the video game world on fire in either the console or handheld arenas, maybe they should shut the fuck up and get to work on doing something to make their systems more attractive to prospective buyers.

I have no interest in the DSi, I think it's priced too high for what it offers, and I love my DS Lite, but their claims in this release are a joke.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »

I don't get it.  This is business.  If Sony had come out with some release that praised the DSi, said it was a cool hardware upgrade and such, then bloggers would take that, run with it, and start saying how Sony has "admitted defeat" or some nonsense.

I don't see what's wrong with the release Sony put out.

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2009, 10:53:01 PM

Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP.

Well, let's see.  DS has had two Guitar Hero games already.  DS has had an Assassin's Creed game.  DS  has had tons of Final Fantasy games.  DS has had Hannah Montana stuff.  So, what's the point of that statement?  PSP finally gets around (after a huge hiatus) to getting some good games coming.  Meanwhile, Nintendo has done it during that whole hiatus and also has a ton of stellar games that have just come out or are about to come out.  Not to mention a new Zelda this year.

I don't see how that's funny?  They're mentioning games that are coming out.  Yeah, Nintendo may already have the same kind of game... but Rock Band Unplugged plays entirely differently from the DS Guitar Hero games.  The DS has an Assassin's Creed game... but I'm thinking the PSP one may play a bit differently.  The DS has FF remakes and some spin-off Chocobo Tales games... but the PSP FF game is entirely different.  What's wrong with highlighting some games coming out this year and why is that funny?

It's still a retarded statement if nothing for this part

Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi

lol what? Yeah the thing is aliening so many people it's barely selling! It sells so little that game developers are actually abandoning, like square enix! Fucking sony is bitter up the ass this generation and will say anything to make themselves look good. You're delusional if you think this was nothing more than that. Lets see, in the last 6 months I have bought 4 DS games. In the last 2 years I have bought ZERO psp games. Sony sure is a winner with their market and chance for developers to make bank! I have even have a modded psp and care to little about the games I won't even download any. It's bad.

Ok then.  Cool points +1 because you have a modded PSP and you care "to little" about the games to download any.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 PM

I'm pretty sure this was Nintendo's attempt to outdo the PSP.  If so, they failed miserably.

I don't think they feel any need to try and "outdo the PSP". They've already been doing that for years.

I don't mean in terms of units sold, I mean in terms of features.  In that regard I think the PSP is still light years ahead of the DSI. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on April 06, 2009, 04:34:44 PM

Quote from: Misguided on April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 PM

I don't mean in terms of units sold, I mean in terms of features.  In that regard I think the PSP is still light years ahead of the DSI. 

Depending on what you want, I suppose.  My PSP has a million fancy features...that I never use.  I want my handheld gaming units to do one thing:  play games.  If I want to talk on my phone, watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, etc. - that's why my iPhone is for.  I really wish Sony would quit trying to make the PSP into the end-all-be-all media device, just focus on the gaming aspect, and give us quality titles more than once or twice a year.  The hardware is sweet, now go and actually make use of it.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 04:49:20 PM »

I have even have a modded psp and care to little about the games I won't even download any. It's bad.

A) You're part of the problem.
B) You've missed out on a lot of really fun games.

I think it's important to clarify that the DS is a solid handheld, and the PSP is a solid handheld. This presser feels more like Sony's lashing out emotionally rather than strategically.

Regardless, slamming the PSP may have been warranted 1-2 years ago, but with its expensive library and continued addition of features, to slam it in 2009 is sort of pathetic.

TheMissingLink on PSN
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 05:04:51 PM »

Yes, it's true.

Depending on what you want, I suppose.  My PSP has a million fancy features...that I never use I want my handheld gaming units to do one thing:  play games.  If I want to talk on my phone, watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, etc. - that's why my iPhone is for.  I really wish Sony would quit trying to make the PSP into the end-all-be-all media device, just focus on the gaming aspect, and give us quality titles more than once or twice a year.  The hardware is sweet, now go and actually make use of it.

Yes, it's totally true
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 06, 2009, 09:16:36 AM

Here is the entire statement again.  But this time, read it without being predisposed to being insulted by every little thing that's said:

My first reaction isn't that it's insulting, but I do think it's funny in a "doesn't make any sense" sort of way. It seems to me that Sony is claiming that the DS and DSi is trapped demographically as a kids' handheld, then Sony tosses out names like Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy, and Hannah Montana as examples of how the PSP's selection of games appeals to a wider demographic. But those three properties already have DS versions. I fail to see the logic. Rock Band and MotorStorm have similar games on the DS (Guitar Hero and several racing games). Little Big Planet seems to me to be the only one where the logic of Sony's argument makes any sense, but I think you could easily counter that Little Big Planet is family/kids' game similar to Nintendo's strong area.

There are other sniping insults in the paragraph. Like this one referring to the DSi: "limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well". Huh? There are a 100 million DS units in the marketplace. Publishers are putting out educational products, weight loss products, music products, kids' games, RPGs, a good selection of games for every demographic. Yes, a lot of them suck, but I don't think it makes sense to take this tack when attacking the DSi.

I would have attacked the DSi differently, because I think the PSP has several legitimate advantages that Sony could leverage.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 06, 2009, 03:51:29 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2009, 10:53:01 PM

I don't see how that's funny?  They're mentioning games that are coming out.  Yeah, Nintendo may already have the same kind of game... but Rock Band Unplugged plays entirely differently from the DS Guitar Hero games.  The DS has an Assassin's Creed game... but I'm thinking the PSP one may play a bit differently.  The DS has FF remakes and some spin-off Chocobo Tales games... but the PSP FF game is entirely different.  What's wrong with highlighting some games coming out this year and why is that funny?

It is funny because they use those games as a reason why PSP is so in touch with the publishers out there (implying Nintendo is not) and also using that as a way to show how their platform targets demographics that Nintendo is not touching.  However, they've already touched them with all the examples I provided.  Also, while DS does have remakes of old FF games, they do have new versions of Crystal Chronicles, Tactics, and don't dismiss the Chocobo games, because they are awesome.  They also had that RTS one as well (forget what it is called, but was in the FFXII storyline).  Just because the Assassin's Creed game on the PSP might be different doesn't dismiss the fact that they made one on the DS.  Also, while the Rock Band game for PSP is different, the GH one is going to be more identifiable to people because is uses buttons, just like GH does.

So, it is funny because they tried to make a point of how Nintendo was so out of touch with certain demographics, names games of theirs that meet those, but refused to remember that Nintendo already addressed those demographics.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »

The only thing I take from this is that Sony obviously doesn't believe kids can be winners too...  icon_cry

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: