http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:22:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony develops degrading demos  (Read 583 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »

they'll only let you play the demo for so long and then you start losing functionality.  I guess too many people were contsantly playing the demo of a game and not buying the full version or something.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »

I'll defer to pr0ner, but I'm highly skeptical that this application meets the novelty bar.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »

this was done before with both l4d demos and then again with bc2 but it was a complete shut off. 

not sure what the purpose of this is though.  it's not like you take anything from the demo into the full game anyways. 

other than pre-release, who plays a demo more than a few times anyways?  once the game hits, if i liked the demo enough to play through twice, i'll buy the game. 

Sony. Never too late to make a another bad decision. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:10:52 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 05, 2010, 05:01:50 PM

this was done before with both l4d demos and then again with bc2 but it was a complete shut off. 

not sure what the purpose of this is though.  it's not like you take anything from the demo into the full game anyways. 

other than pre-release, who plays a demo more than a few times anyways?  once the game hits, if i liked the demo enough to play through twice, i'll buy the game. 

Sony. Never too late to make a another bad decision. 

Well, I am guessing, as stated by the OP, that they have some stats that show that there are people who never buy the actual game, but instead just play tthe multiplayer demos over and over.  You get the same amount of fun, though with less maps.  Apparenly it is worth it to some people.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »

this sounds like an opening line in a piracy argument, but how many demo abusers would buy the game if it started degrading? 

i guess i'm more confused by people who can buy the full game deciding to forgo buying it and stick with the same map instead. 

with mp demos, i have to say it's probably for the best if it means demo players shouldn't be using up large amounts of server resources that would be better suited for paying customers. 

i am curious about the numbers though.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:07:38 PM »

Seems like a lot of trouble when they can just make the demo stop working entirely after a certain time period. Instead, the user starts getting a crappier version of the game, which makes the game seem less appealing, which then may lose a sale they would have had if the demo had not degraded.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 05, 2010, 05:24:10 PM

this sounds like an opening line in a piracy argument, but how many demo abusers would buy the game if it started degrading? 

i guess i'm more confused by people who can buy the full game deciding to forgo buying it and stick with the same map instead. 

with mp demos, i have to say it's probably for the best if it means demo players shouldn't be using up large amounts of server resources that would be better suited for paying customers. 

i am curious about the numbers though.

Well, I can probably agree with you that people who would just sit and play a demo over and over may not be the people who would actually go buy the game.  However, there really is no reason for them to leave the demo out there for people to play indefinitely.

cwd92589
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »

This is an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure this has already started being implemented though, such as: demo timers, date limited, limited functionality, etc... I'm sure they had to do something, as people would only ever play the demo! FAIR ENOUGH
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »

I would guess that most people who abuse demos and never buy the full game probably can't afford the full game to begin with. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 05, 2010, 10:26:08 PM

I would guess that most people who abuse demos and never buy the full game probably can't afford the full game to begin with. 

I guess the question is, though, should they be allowed to just play a demo over and over?  The idea of demo is to get a taste of whether you like the game or not so you can decide to purchase or not.  I think if you're abusing that system, then it is well within the rights of the companies to set timers on how long that stuff would work.  Can't play?  You don't get to play.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »

from an article I read on this, the whole point is to provide a demo that gives a full game experience but for a limited time.  Instead of giving you a watered down demo they will give you a taste of the good stuff and then water it down.  Their hope is that you will have enjoyed the demo enough to buy the final product.  After all that is really the purpose of a demo,  to get you to buy the game, not to provide you with a free game.  Seems like a good idea to me.  The people really interested in buying will get a demo that can really showcase the game.  The ones who complain about this probably had no intention of buying and just wanted the game for free.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: