http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 02:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony cuts price on 20GB PS3 in Japan, adds HDMI port  (Read 1253 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:43:34 AM »

I just saw this over at VE3D.  Here's the English text of the press release:

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) with 20GB hard disk drive (HDD) will come equipped with HDMI (Verison 1.3/supporting Deep Color) output as standard with the system. PS3 with 20GB HDD will become available in Japan at a new recommended retail price of 49,980 yen (tax included).

Since SCEI first announced product specifications of PS3 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in May 2005, demand for enjoying full HD quality image and realistic digital sound through HDMI has grown tremendously. Given the sharp increase in availability of flat displays supporting HDMI in the market, SCEI has decided to equip HDMI as standard on all PS3 systems.

As noted in the linked article, the original MSRP was 62,790 yen ($536) and is now the equivalent of $430.  Hopefully we will be seeing something similar announced for the US and rest of the world. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 05:00:04 AM »

so is this the day we all change our tune from "Sony, stupidest company ever" to "Sony, greatest PR turnaround / stunt ever" ???
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:57:23 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 22, 2006, 04:43:34 AM

As noted in the linked article, the original MSRP was 62,790 yen ($536) and is now the equivalent of $430.  Hopefully we will be seeing something similar announced for the US and rest of the world. 

I don't know quite what to make of this (assuming this comes out in the US as well). Now both systems have HDMI (no Blu-Ray movie gimped version), and there's a serious price difference between the two consoles. Now, $170 gives you what, a bigger HD and a few other ways to save your content? The $600 version isn't looking too popular anymore, IMHO...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »

That's assuming they don't do a price drop on the $600 version, too.

I think Sony deserves a little more credit as it shows they're actually listening to the community. First people were complaining about the "banana" controller, Sony did away with it.
Then they were complaining about only one model having HDMI and the price points, Sony did something about that as well.

Even though I still think the price is high, personally I have to hand it to Sony for at least trying to appeal to the gaming community.

On a similiar note, Shacknews(.com) also is covering the story, plus added this:

Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi delivered his Tokyo Game Show keynote today. Kutaragi spent much of his time speaking about various developments in the communications and tech industries and how PlayStation 3 may tie into them at some point. He also indicated that PS3 will feature a Global Mapping System, allowing users to share pictures and other materials, and that this GMS may some day allow developers to share ideas of works in progress and get feedback from consumers. As far as more concrete PS3 details, Kutaragi announced that PS3 will be able to download (or stream, depending on which report you read) PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games. Similarly, PS3 will play titles from Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) and PC Engine (TurboGrafx) consoles; these two systems are also part of Nintendo's Virtual Console plans. No specific games were announced.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:09:37 AM »

Isn't it a bit late in the game to be changing manufacturing specs?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:53:14 AM »

Guess I'm the only one who liked the look of the Boomerang controller. Yeah this seems weird...interesting to see if they announce anything in other regions. It also remains to be seen how many of the 20GB models are actually made available.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 12:04:47 PM »

Better late than never I guess.. I was holding on to a last bit of hope before the 360 launched they'd they'd take developer complaints about not enough space more seriously and go with an HD-DVD drive from the get go.

I wonder if Sony had planned this for a while now and just hadn't announced it till today though, because looking at the transcripts over at IGN it sounds like Ken Kutagari (may have butchered his name there) asked the audience if they wanted HDMI on the 20gb model and everyone said yes so he said all models would have it then.
Could he really have just made that up on the fly? If by the rare, rare chance he did, then that'd definitely have a negative impact on manufacturing and would probably mean even more delays.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »

OMG I WUB SONY!!!!!  KATATURANIRISHOSANSTEINBERGHER IS MY HERO!!!! ninja

Shouldn't they already be manufacturing the consoles already?  Either it's been that way from the get go and Sony is trying to play this as a 'surprise' or day one units may not have this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 22, 2006, 02:33:57 PM

OMG I WUB SONY!!!!!  KATATURANIRISHOSANSTEINBERGHER IS MY HERO!!!! ninja

Shouldn't they already be manufacturing the consoles already?  Either it's been that way from the get go and Sony is trying to play this as a 'surprise' or day one units may not have this.

Don't get too excited.  Price cut is Japan only

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=7108

Thanks Kenny!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 03:31:37 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 22, 2006, 11:09:37 AM

You read my mind.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 03:34:08 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 22, 2006, 03:31:37 PM

You read my mind.

Depends on when it was actually changed- the decision could have been made a while back with the announcement staged for TGS. 
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 04:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 22, 2006, 10:57:23 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 22, 2006, 04:43:34 AM

I don't know quite what to make of this (assuming this comes out in the US as well). Now both systems have HDMI (no Blu-Ray movie gimped version), and there's a serious price difference between the two consoles. Now, $170 gives you what, a bigger HD and a few other ways to save your content? The $600 version isn't looking too popular anymore, IMHO...

I think the $600 version also includes a built in wireless network adapter whereas the cheaper version does not. 

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »

As noted above, the price drop is Japan only.  The cheapo version is still $500 here.  Then there is the question of what the ratio shipped between the two versions will be . . .

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 02:28:14 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 23, 2006, 06:40:58 PM

As noted above, the price drop is Japan only.  The cheapo version is still $500 here.  Then there is the question of what the ratio shipped between the two versions will be . . .

Word is that there will be a 80/20 split of the 60 gig/20 gig, so good luck finding a $500 one at launch or shortly thereafter.  About 80,000 PS3 consoles at launch will be the 20 gig version.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 02:34:14 AM »

Quote from: Graham on September 24, 2006, 02:28:14 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on September 23, 2006, 06:40:58 PM

Word is that there will be a 80/20 split of the 60 gig/20 gig, so good luck finding a $500 one at launch or shortly thereafter.  About 80,000 PS3 consoles at launch will be the 20 gig version.

Breakdown seems pretty similar to the 360 launch, yet the 360 Core pack was much more available (at least initially) than the Premium pack.  Hell, I could have preordered as late as the day before the 360 launch and received a Core unit on launch day.  The PS3 $500 pack is actually much more viable than the Core pack was, so it will be interesting to see if public perception is that the $500 version is gimped and thus should be avoided. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 01:21:27 AM »

It wasn't like they were actually making the consoles in the first place until a week or three ago.  icon_wink

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: