http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 07:47:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony: "We Suck Less!"  (Read 3900 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »

Sony PS3 Sales up Nearly 300%

Good to see they're getting momentum, but they've got a long damn way to go.

gellar
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:18:50 AM »

Anectodal evidence:  I saw lots of people at Best Buy this weekend with PS3s in their hands.  I, for one, was shocked,

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:03:20 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 27, 2007, 12:17:29 AM

Sony PS3 Sales up Nearly 300%

Good to see they're getting momentum, but they've got a long damn way to go.

gellar

What will be important is how much more thay actually sell Over the usual holiday push, I don't think it would be odd to see the PS3 push close to 350k units, which would be almost 300% growth, but in reality they should've done about 2.5 times more business because of the holidays regardless.

Their 300% means nothing when you factor in the usual holiday pushes, Nintendo should sell 900k to 1mil (depending on inventory shipped) and MS should 600k to 800k because of the holiday push.

So I will definitely wait to see what NPD looks like, because something tells me that nothings really going to change.

EDIT

Just wanted to add, that I feel it is only a good thing that Sony is finally moving some consoles, as always I support a good healthy three-way  market, I actually do like my PS3, no system collects dust in my house, and I don't have any worries about the system and sales.

I do however hate Sony's PR, it's getting worse than Nintendo was with the Gamecube, they feel like they have to tout something every two weeks, and then twist numbers and stats to make the situation look better. I'd prefer they just keep their mouths shut and wait for the numbers to be published and then come out with a PR.

Also, I wonder how many folks will be dissapointed come Christmas when they find out that their new PS3 doesn't play their PS2 games. I wonder if their will be any backlash.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:09:47 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 02:19:40 AM »

For me its what are their sales compared to the other systems. As already pointed out there should be an increase simply because of the holiday's.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 02:31:16 AM »

Things seem to be going well for the PSP.  I read in the newspaper today that the new PSP in Japan has sold a million units in...actually I'm not sure.  Two months?  Anyways they hit that mark faster than they did with the original PSP.  Not sure if it will ever be able to catch the DS but it's got a big black behemoth on their tail now.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 02:40:42 AM »

I'm not an XBOX fanboy, but I just have so much disdain for Sony right now and am not really pleased at this.

I hope they remain a distant third.

But of course, I would like them to remain viable.  But a distant viable.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 02:45:06 AM »

Well hopefully they make some money off it and then drop the price some more.
Then....then I'll buy one.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:08:27 AM »

Quote from: ATB on November 27, 2007, 02:40:42 AM

I'm not an XBOX fanboy

*giggle*

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 03:51:19 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 27, 2007, 03:08:27 AM

I'm not an XBOX fanboy

*giggle*

gellar
I agree with the sentiment but I have never actually seen you giggle. Cackle perhaps?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 03:52:08 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2007, 03:51:19 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 27, 2007, 03:08:27 AM

I'm not an XBOX fanboy

*giggle*

gellar
I agree with the sentiment but I have never actually seen you giggle. Cackle perhaps?

Fair enough.  Probably more of a chortle than anything else.

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 04:20:14 AM »

Is 'chortle' becoming the new trendy word on internet message boards or what?  icon_lol

300% seems like a pretty large number, I'll be surprised of the PS3 produces numbers close to the 360 considering each platform's respective fall lineup.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 04:23:11 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 27, 2007, 04:20:14 AM

Is 'chortle' becoming the new trendy word on internet message boards or what?  icon_lol

If it wasn't, it is now.  When I do things, they instantly become trendy.

gellar
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 05:21:30 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 27, 2007, 04:23:11 AM

gellar

Witches cackle.  Witches are girls. Gellar cackles.  Gellar = Girl.

Thread over.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 05:40:19 AM »

300% seems like a pretty large number, I'll be surprised of the PS3 produces numbers close to the 360 considering each platform's respective fall lineup.

depends on what it's 300% from.  If we're talking 300% up from 100 then sure, it's a larger number  slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 07:58:30 AM »

well I want a high def dvd player and blu ray seems to be the obvious choice, so ps3 seems to be the best buy here.  Plus they do finally sem to be getting some decent games finally. I plan on buying one later this week actually.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »

They finally made a smart move ($399 sku) and are reaping the benefits . . . does anyone think this would have happended, holiday boost or not, with only a $500 version available?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on November 27, 2007, 07:58:30 AM

well I want a high def dvd player and blu ray seems to be the obvious choice, so ps3 seems to be the best buy here.  Plus they do finally sem to be getting some decent games finally. I plan on buying one later this week actually.

I got to watch some non-Blu Ray DVD's on one and it upscale quite nicely.  So nicely that I'm going to break my rule about using a console as a DVD player to solve my HDMI conundrum.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:23 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on November 27, 2007, 02:25:15 PM

They finally made a smart move ($399 sku) and are reaping the benefits . . . does anyone think this would have happended, holiday boost or not, with only a $500 version available?

That's a good question. Keep in mind that sales tend to triple between October to November, and triple again between November to December. Or something insane like that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 27, 2007, 12:18:50 AM

Anectodal evidence:  I saw lots of people at Best Buy this weekend with PS3s in their hands.  I, for one, was shocked,

The Wal-Mart my wife and I went to on Black Friday morning had about 25 on a pallette.....I went back later in the afternoon, maybe 3 hours later to buy our son a printer, and there were 4 left. Like you, I was very surprised as well. The Target we went to, though a fairly small store, was completely sold out of EVERY type of console, be it 360, PS3, or Wii, so it looks like every console is going to go well this holiday.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 04:07:37 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 27, 2007, 03:31:06 PM

The Wal-Mart my wife and I went to on Black Friday morning had about 25 on a pallette.....I went back later in the afternoon, maybe 3 hours later to buy our son a printer, and there were 4 left. Like you, I was very surprised as well. The Target we went to, though a fairly small store, was completely sold out of EVERY type of console, be it 360, PS3, or Wii, so it looks like every console is going to go well this holiday.
The more I think about it . . . they married the price drop to actually effective advertising i.e. a 1-2 punch . . . I cannot turn on the TV without seeing one of their new commercials . . . during NFL games, ect. . . . also I have seen commercials for multi-platform games (COD4) that only show PS3 at the conclusion . . . smart marketing dollars at work?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 05:37:04 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on November 27, 2007, 04:07:37 PM

The more I think about it . . . they married the price drop to actually effective advertising i.e. a 1-2 punch . . . I cannot turn on the TV without seeing one of their new commercials . . . during NFL games, ect. . . . also I have seen commercials for multi-platform games (COD4) that only show PS3 at the conclusion . . . smart marketing dollars at work?

I wouldn't consider it smart, per se, just simply present. I still see just as many 360 and Wii commercials. Does anyone have october-december charts from last year to see the ramp up in sales?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 06:01:14 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »

Walmart was running a 'Buy a PS3 get 10 free Blu-Ray movies' deal on BF (which also got you the 5 free mail in movies).
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 05:59:40 PM »

I'm still not a big fan of Sony after several business practices of theirs in the recent past:

Those are the major reasons that I cannot bring myself to give Sony anymore of my hard-earned money.  My stance may change once there is a definite winner on the HD-DVD/Blu Ray war, but until then, I'll support other electronics companies in general, not just other videogame console manufacturers.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 06:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 27, 2007, 05:37:04 PM

Quote from: ras752000 on November 27, 2007, 04:07:37 PM

I wouldn't consider it smart, per se, just simply present. I still see just as many 360 and Wii commercials. Does anyone have october-december charts from last year to see the ramp up in sales?
Point well taken . . . I guess anything is "smarter" than the early PR fiasco machine that was the initial Sony marketing of the PS3 . . . let's just say that these efforts are not blowing up in their face.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »

I'm not an XBOX fanboy, but I just have so much disdain for Sony right now and am not really pleased at this.

well,i am an xbox fanboy....but only because i have all 3 machines and i am never off the 360...the other two get no playing time at all,the games that come out are either also on the 360 or there are 360 games i would rather have and they come above the PS3/Wii games....there i have said it....commence fire finger

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 27, 2007, 05:21:30 AM

gellar

Thread over.

*snicker*

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on November 27, 2007, 07:35:04 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 27, 2007, 05:21:30 AM

gellar

Thread over.

*snicker*

*guffaw*
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »

I think all 3 of the consoles have major flaws (from my perspective).

Nintendo - yes, it's not all about the graphics, but honestly 480P sucks really hard on an HDTV. This was not an issue at all this year, as many people still use SDTV's, and for the money, an SD oriented console is the best bet on an SDTV.  As more people upgrade, Nintendo is going to have a hard time keeping up on this front. They have certainly won the launch battle, but honestly mine gathered dust for a good 9 months of this year. I dusted it off for Umbrella Chronicles and Link's crossbow training and have had a blast (no pun intended). The more I use the Wii, the more I realize the controller was a lot of hype. It has a built in light gun, awesome...I love On Rails shooters.  Everything else it can do is waggle, there is no 1-1 tracking so things like sword fighting (including lightsabers) will never really work as well as you imagine them. The standard controls being broken apart so both hands can relax a bit is a much better achievement than waggle.

Sony - arrogance and bad marketing bit them in the ass. "Consumers will buy this without games even! we are Playstation! here, watch some commercials that are so weird David Lynch asked us WTF we were thinking!" Overall it's a powerful console with a lot of features for the price, but letting it sit stagnant for a year waiting for some games was not exactly a brilliant marketing move. Part of me thinks they must have done it intentionally because they couldn't AFFORD to sell them at a $400 loss.

Microsoft - I hear they have great games. I haven't been convinced to buy one by anything released, and I've tried really hard to spend that money. I suppose it's aimed at a different demographic than I am, but they have really missed the mark on bringing in more than the hardcore gamers.  So it's a first person shooter / sports lover's dream console. For the most part, I stopped enjoying shooters with Unreal Tournament (the first one), so they need to try a little harder if they want me. Where are the action / adventure games? The RPG's that don't suck? Their biggest problem now though is consumer confidence. Nobody wants to send their console in 6 times for a repair, and the number of cases of this happening are staggering. They still haven't "fixed" the issue conclusively, so how long can they keep it up?

I personally think Sony will have the easiest time overcoming their biggest flaw - price and a lack of games. They have already really squashed the price barrier, and seem to understand now that games are the best selling point for a games console. I've bought 7 PS3 games since July, so I'm very happy with the investment. I hope they keep it up. I also think the really horrid rushed ports are going to end soon too.  Now that more cross platform games have come out with little to no difference, the excuse that "the PS3 is hard" is getting harder to sell. If it's too hard, don't try, others have done it successfully.

I don't think it's impossible for Sony to pull out of the slump and reach number 1 again, but it will definitely take over a year to do it if they do. As it stands now, the only thing really keeping the 360 above the PS3 is the year head start. With more games, aggressive marketing and major price cuts, will the 360 be able to keep its lead? Hard to say. I for one have no intention of trying to predict the outcome of this race, but these numbers make the PS3's future look a little rosier than most of the doomsday predictions make it out to be.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 08:54:14 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on November 27, 2007, 07:49:05 PM

whenever i see charts like that, i wonder how many of those 360 sales are either re-buys or costco-rentals...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »

That's equivelant to seeing PS3 sales and wondering how many consoles ever see a game. disgust

On the one hand the intent to purchase is not to get a lemon.
On the other hand those purchases have nothing to do with games.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 09:22:53 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 27, 2007, 08:54:14 PM

Quote from: somoflange on November 27, 2007, 07:49:05 PM

whenever i see charts like that, i wonder how many of those 360 sales are either re-buys or costco-rentals...

Sounds like the PS2 last generation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 03:06:51 AM »

See, this is what I mean, now that Sony had to start a PR pissing match Nintendo has to come out with their own numbers:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/838/838123p1.html

Nintendo of America revealed on Tuesday that it had sold upward of 650,000 Wii consoles in the last two weeks -- a figure that accounts for only half of November sell-through

I think through the holidays are going to be back and forth pissing matches between the three companies about how great they sold this holiday season.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 04:30:57 AM »

Its a pissing match Nintendo is going to win by allot though.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 05:30:01 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 28, 2007, 04:30:57 AM

Its a pissing match Nintendo is going to win by allot though.

Impressive when their Wii is so small.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »

Yes but more people have handled their Wii. They're dirty, dirty sluts.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 28, 2007, 01:53:46 PM

I thought it'd make me a dirty slut if I was handling someone else's Wii?   confused
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 28, 2007, 04:26:36 PM

Quote from: Purge on November 28, 2007, 01:53:46 PM

I thought it'd make me a dirty slut if I was handling someone else's Wii?   confused

it will if it makes you feel better.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2007, 04:41:16 PM

it will if it makes you feel better.

Nah, I'd rather play with my own Wii, thank you very much.  Tongue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 04:52:30 PM »

We'd rather you not do that in public, nor discuss it with us.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 09:17:17 PM »

Speaking of the Wii, Nintendo moved a lot of systems too. Taken from GameSpot:

"Now, Nintendo has revealed its sales figures in the US for the "Black Friday" week of November 18-24. The seven-day period was Nintendo's best ever in the US, with over 1.03 million systems sold in the 50 states. Of those, 350,000 were $249 Wiis, and 653,000 were $129 DSes. The latter figure eclipsed the record set in 2005, when over 600,000 Game Boy Advances were sold during Thanksgiving Week."

The DS numbers are massive, but it doesn't seem like they sold many Wii systems that week...

Sean Lama
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: