http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:39:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something I hate about Gamestop  (Read 3972 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2006, 07:03:01 AM »

And it's not them taking your money to "guarentee" a preorder on a new console and then not be able to get it to you until quarter of a year later..

But rather how they sell open-boxed games at full retail price. Maybe hate isn't the right word, but anyone else feel a bit ripped off knowing you're putting down full price on a game and it's not even sealed? To me "Brand New" means it's still FACTORY SEALED.
I'm sure Gamestop employees aren't taking the open-boxed games home or anything, but this past week I was going to pick up GTA Liberty City Stories for one of my brothers in Iraq (he brought his PSP with him) and it was their last copy. So I said "How about an open box discount, then?" and they said it was still new.
I said I realize it's new but that doesn't change the fact that the factory seal has been broken and now it's an "Open Box" item. Finally the guy said he'd do a 10% discount but I thought it through and ended up going to Best Buy instead where I got a real new game so my brother doesn't think I've been playing it or something.
Not that it really matters I guess, but the point is, if you are giving a game as a gift to someone it seems more professional to give them a new copy - even if the open box item is new - it still looks used.
I have a gamestop more card and get used games all the time, but when I'm in the market for a NEW game, I want it to be.. well, NEW.

The point of this post? Not much really, what can I say it's 2am and I'm still up and bored as hell.. but I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling Gamestop should be doing some kind of discount for open-boxed games. It's not our fault they open them up, but at the same time you can go down the street to a best buy or comp usa and get the same game still factory sealed, at the same price.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 07:08:54 AM »

I'm sure Gamestop employees aren't taking the open-boxed games home or anything,

It's my understanding that Gamestop employees can check out games and take them home, and that these games are then resold as new.  The "open, sold as new" policy is one of the many reasons why I no  longer shop at EB/Gamestop.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 07:09:15 AM »

Just purchased a "new" copy of Psychonauts today.  Was irritated that it was already opened with some tape over it.  Why the funk do they even DO that?

I never really purchase new games at GameStop anyway - I usually go used, so it isn't that big of a deal to me...but it is odd and I can totally see how it can be irritating.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 08:14:31 AM »

I don't know if it's EB Games or Gamestop that I've seen this happen before . . . maybe both . . . but I hate it when employees try to do that "game warranty" to people.  Seriously.  It's just a way for their company to con more money out of people.  Several days ago there was a woman in front of me in line buying a good deal of stuff.  The employee was just giving her the business about how all of her purchased games need to have this warranty.

The only time a game has stopped working for me is when I kicked Gatorfavre's Dreamcast when we were playing NFL 2k1 and it scruffed that disc up.

Ugh.  And I don't tend to purchase many "new" games from Gamestop/EB, but that would piss me off if I were to buy a new copy of a game and it was already opened.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 12:41:52 PM »

One of my huge pet peeves.  I was in EB before Christmas and watched the guy take 20 or so copies of Gun (360) out of a shipping box.  He then proceeded to "gut" at least 10 copies so they could put the boxes on the wall.  

Funny thing...no one at EB or Gamestop seems to think it's a big deal.  I usually ask for a sealed copy and if they don't have one, I will just go somewhere else and buy it.  For that reason, I am buying more and more games at Wal Mart.  One game I had a little trouble finding for a Christmas present was Grand Theft Auto for the PSP.  After looking at 3 stores, I finally found one at Gamestop and you guessed it...it was open, but what was odd was they didn't have to get the box off of the floor as the game was in the drawer behind the counter, but it was open.  I hated the thought that my nephew would think I got him a used game for Christmas.   :oops:

With the way they force pre owned games on you and the open box as new practice, I'm guessing the the marketing teams at these companies are made up of people who have never had a controller in their hand.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
I don't know if it's EB Games or Gamestop that I've seen this happen before . . . maybe both . . . but I hate it when employees try to do that "game warranty" to people.  

That isn't gamestop.

Yes, we can check out games, but we take the used if available.

I'm always happy to shrinkwrap an open copy, or even a used copy when it is a gift, but you are right that it wouldn't like identical to a new one. Wanting a gift to look nice is something I understand completely.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 01:12:13 PM »

I got Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney at an EBGames the day after Christmas and it was that "already opened but new" thing.  Left a very bad taste in my mouth.  Unless I start buying used games, I'll be getting my games through sources that leave the boxes in factory-sealed condition from now on.  Whether that's the larger retail outlets, or EB and Gamestop's internet stores I care not.  I just want to know for sure that what I'm getting has gone straight from being sealed to my hands.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 01:30:48 PM »

Honestly doesn't bother me.  As long as the disk is still in excellent condition and it comes with the manual, I'm fine.  Don't even care about all of the stickers on the front- I've got a bunch of empty DVD cases that I just transfer the contents to.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 02:32:51 PM »

If you're buying new games then why don't you just go to Walmart instead?  I mean the selection is practically as good and the prices are cheaper.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
I don't know if it's EB Games or Gamestop that I've seen this happen before . . . maybe both . . . but I hate it when employees try to do that "game warranty" to people.

I bought a $6 DS screen protector yesterday from EB and the clerk asked me if I wanted to insure the product for an extra $3.  :lol:

I paused, looked him in the eye, and said, "What does that even mean? How could this screen protector malfunction?"

"I dunno", he said, "Maybe it gets all scratched up or something." Then, realizing he sounded pretty ridiculous, he said, "Yeah, I know it's stupid, put you'd be surprised. I know a few people who have paid the extra 3 bucks on something like that".
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 02:48:20 PM »

This is one of the many reasons I no longer shop at Gamestop.  As for Wal-Mart, well, I've been boycotting them for nearly three years now for a great many reasons.

Personally, I purchase my games primarily at my friendly local game shop; they only sell unopened games as new games; if a game's opened, it's used.  If they don't carry something, I'll buy it from Best Buy or GoGamer.com to make sure I get a truly new (i.e. in the factory seal) game.

I hate buying "new" games that have been preplayed, because I take such good care of my games that even my old PS1 games are almost universally scratch-free and in mint condition.  (And yes, I can tell when a disc has been buffed to try to remove scratches; it looks quite different than a standard disc as far as the prismatic patterns on the back go)

I probably have some kind of borderline OCD going with discs and the like.  slywink  When I buy used games, I prefer them to be as close to mint condition as possible, but I'm willing to accept less than perfect if I'm buying used.  That's why there's such a huge discount.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »

They tried the 'open packaging as new' on me once at Gamestop, which is why I won't shop there.

I know EB is now owned by Gamestop, but I refuse to acknowlege it since my local one is pretty good and I've never had any issues there.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 08:27:11 PM »

If you're buying new games then why don't you just go to Walmart instead?
That's along the lines I was getting at, more and more I'm finding myself going to retail outlets rather than Gamestop to get new games. Although at least in my experience, Gamestop has always had a larger selection of games than Walmart.

I'm always happy to shrinkwrap an open copy, or even a used copy when it is a gift, but you are right that it wouldn't like identical to a new one.
Opened and then re-sealed by Gamestop isn't "Factory Sealed" (IMO, the only way a game can be passed as Brand New) If the game is for me personally and the disc looks like it's in perfect condition I'll probably take it. But if you're getting it as a gift and it's not factory sealed, it seems like it's been used and then passed along as a gift since maybe you didn't like it or tried it out before giving it as a gift.

I hate buying "new" games that have been preplayed, because I take such good care of my games that even my old PS1 games are almost universally scratch-free and in mint condition.
Same here, even my ps1 games are almost 100% perfect. I take great care not to scratch any of my discs, even the original cases they came in are in mint condition.
Personally if a used game from Gamestop (or EB) has any marks on the cd, I won't take it. Usually they have a lot of used games of the same title so there's bound to be one of them that's still in excellent condition. There's one Gamestop by me that doesn't even take used games in if they have scratches on them, which I think is a great idea.
Although I think a new game going for $19.99 and the used one going for $17.99 (how gamestop prices most of their used games) isn't really a "huge discount". Sometimes it's worth just getting the new one for $2 more and at least knowing you're getting a scratch-free disc.

Really I love Gamestop and find myself there at least a couple times a week (just picked up season 1 and season 3 of 24 for $29.99 used two days ago) but my patience with the open-boxed games being passed as new is starting to wear thin. IMO if they are going to pass off opened games as new there needs to be an open box discount because that's exactly what it is - open box.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »

That's along the lines I was getting at, more and more I'm finding myself going to retail outlets rather than Gamestop to get new games. Although at least in my experience, Gamestop has always had a larger selection of games than Walmart.

This was my frustration. I didn't want to shop at Gamestop/EB, but there are niche titles that Best Buy and Walmart just don't carry. Surprisingly, I discovered that Toys 'R Us has a really nice selection, including 'M' rated Atlus games like Digital Devil Saga (go figure). TRU also uses display cases, but they've never tried to pass off used merchandise as new like Gamestop does. It's definitely worth looking into if you have one in your area.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 04:18:57 AM »

Sooo...

In all seriousness:

When an article of clothing gets tried on in a store, then gets refolded and repinned by the person that comes in at 3am to fix all the damage from the day before, is that piece of clothing now used?

It is unfortunate that the necessity to not display discs on the floor exists, but it does. You always have the option not to purchase a new, opened item. But to me at least, to say something is "used" means it has been sold previously. You could argue that if an employee borrows a game for a couple of days that an item is used, but I'd liken this to a car used by the manager at a dealership for being sold as "new".

It's actually funny that we often take things in trade that are still in shrinkwrap, but by definition these are "used" even though they are unopened. So we have opened new and unopened used...go figure.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 06:32:01 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
When an article of clothing gets tried on in a store, then gets refolded and repinned by the person that comes in at 3am to fix all the damage from the day before, is that piece of clothing now used?

I don't think many people understand how much of what they buy "new" has often already been used, at least a little bit.  Do you think that WalMart sends all that stuff that gets returned back to the manufacturer or do you think most of it goes back out if it's in good enough shape?  I would guess at least 10% of the stuff sold in retail is not "new" in the sense of factory fresh.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »

I guess what gets me is that sometimes posters make it sound as if there's a deceptive practice going on here, and there isn't....at least not at a corporate level. I generally make a habit of explaining to customers exactly what I'm doing and why. Most of them don't really care as long as the game works but some of them choose an alternative.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 01:22:48 PM »

Nope. Cant convince me that its a common practice.

When I was at acclaim we used to send the retailer boxes with artwork to display so that they wouldnt open boxes.

You touch my factory fresh item, it is now tainted and not worth full value.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 05:00:14 PM »

This is completely silly. Try comparing apples to apples. Trying on clothes benefits the customer as each item may not be appropriate for each individual.

It is unfortunate that the necessity to not display discs on the floor exists, but it does. You always have the option not to purchase a new, opened item.

If it's so necessary, than why is Gamestop/EB the only retailer that does it?

But to me at least, to say something is "used" means it has been sold previously.

Perhaps you're right. But selling me a game with scratches on the CD, fingerprint smudges on the manual, and umpteen hundred stickers superglued on the dusty case doesn't make me feel like I'm buying a "new" product either.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »

Sooo...

In all seriousness:

If we're talking about game discs (with CorruptRelic and I explaining that our main issue is maintaining mint-condition discs), then the real analogy would be if the articles of clothing had scratches, gouges, or stains in them, or even if they had scratches that had been resewn for you (but you can tell if you look closely that the clothing was obviously repaired and is not new).

Now, if the clothes are in that state, are they new?

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 07:18:57 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Sooo...

In all seriousness:

If we're talking about game discs (with CorruptRelic and I explaining that our main issue is maintaining mint-condition discs), then the real analogy would be if the articles of clothing had scratches, gouges, or stains in them, or even if they had scratches that had been resewn for you (but you can tell if you look closely that the clothing was obviously repaired and is not new).

AGREED

Now, if the clothes are in that state, are they new?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 07:34:18 PM »

i wish the US was more like Europe, where media items are NOT shrinkwrapped...  it's just a waste of plastic.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 07:36:34 PM »

Quote from: "hitbyambulance"
i wish the US was more like Europe, where media items are NOT shrinkwrapped...  it's just a waste of plastic.

They're not? I was in a Virgin Megastore in France a few months ago and I could've sworn everything was shrinkwrapped.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »

Fair enough...if you're paying for new, you're entitled to have it in new condition. I didn't realize that was the beef you had with the whole thing.

Andrew, you bring up an interesting point in regard to trying on clothing benefitting the customer. Is that really relevant, though? I mean, suppose a new game were loaned out so someone could see if they wanted to buy it. Does that realy change anything?

Bottom line is a new game should be in new condition, and if it isn't, you should ask for a discount as an open/shopworn item.

All IMHO of course.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »

Hey, if the item's been opened and evaluated by an employee, but is otherwise in absolute new condition (no scratches, smudges, or damage to the disc and no wear on the manual of any kind), then I have no complaint, because for all practical reasons, it's basically brand-new.

Anything wrong with it, and it's used.

I'm anal-retentive about it, bordering on OCD, but I'm honest about it.  slywink

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 09:45:24 PM »

Andrew, you bring up an interesting point in regard to trying on clothing benefitting the customer. Is that really relevant, though? I mean, suppose a new game were loaned out so someone could see if they wanted to buy it. Does that realy change anything?

Second hand products are second hand products regardless of whether there's an initial exchange of money.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2006, 12:03:52 AM »

Misguided is correct. We can and occasionally do check out new stuff. Usually wait and prefer used.

We do also open/'gut' new stuff for display if we don't have more than one new copy. If the customer doesn't like that something was the last one, we also have a 'opened/shopworn' discount option that shows up on the receipt. Usually I don't have a problem with people not liking it as I always show the customer that the disc is in new shape when I remove it from the sleeve and place it in the case.

We can also replace the case with a different one if it is marked up or damaged as well, just ask as we normally have some in the back.

Thankfully there are multiple places surrounding our store that we can point people to when they don't like this.

As a side note, I also have lots of people come in and expect a used game to look brand new and yet still want the 90 warranty and discounted price. They will stand around and inspect it with a microscope practically for scratches. We do get in the occasion resurfaced disk (have a large 'R' on the rear UPC sticker) and also ones that are still sealed.

And for the love of the gods, keep your receipts.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 12:35:39 AM »

(I wrote this today while at work, where I can't access the forum.  Some of this has already been covered, but I'll post it anyway)

Although I do expect that merchandise at stores has been handled previously, I  don't expect that the clothing I buy at the store has been previously worn and then sold.  It does happen: many years ago my mother bought me a shirt at K-mart.  When I put on the shirt, we noticed that it had no labels or tags and had an overpowering smell of BO.  The shirt had clearly been worn and returned to the store, then resold.  With game stores, you never know: the "new" opened game may have been taken out of the case and put straight into the holding bin, or it may have been taken home and played.  You don't know and you won't be told.

The return policies at game stores make this an apples to oranges comparison.  If you bring in an unsealed game, stores automatically consider you a pirate and refuse to allow a return.  The best you get is trade-in credit, which is what--5 to 25% of the new price?  In other words, a store will sell you an unsealed game as new for the price of a new game, but by its return policy the store itself doesn't even consider the game to be new.  As soon as you walk out the door with that unsealed game, you've lost the ability to return it.  I've been in EB many times when people have brought back games, either because they didn't like them or because they got the games home and noticed scratches on the discs, and the employees would only offer trade-in credit.  No returns, no way.

On a few occasions I've bought games on impulse, brought them home, read reviews (ok, or updated my checkbook), and decided to take the games back.  I only buy sealed games.  No problem.

The upshot is: if you don't like the policy, don't buy the games.  I have the local EB guys trained.  Last month I went there to get Wild Arms Alter Code: F.  One of the new guys started to tell me that they had one
display copy left, but the manager nudged him and said, "He won't buy unsealed games."  If you don't like their policies, don't bow to them--and let them know your reasons.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 12:57:31 AM »

One of the reasons that I like Gamestop over EB is that we don't usually try to put a bunch of useless stickers on the cases. Generally a price tag, barcode, and that's usually it if it's from us. None of those big obnoxious round yellow stickers everywhere.

Occasionally there will be a small round sticker on the opening mainly a way for us to see if a 'new opened' (*see my post above*) copy was opened by the customer. We had a lot of that stuff that was sold during the holiday season and put those on there if we did not reseal the package for the customer. If that seal is obviously not broken or tampered with then the store will generally not hassle you if you are looking to return or exchange it. It's pretty easy to tell if it was moved so YMMV if you try to open it and then return it.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 01:00:42 AM »

Qbe, a couple of other ideas:

1) have them shrink it in the store or seal it in a bag.
2) have them mark on the receipt that it was the display copy

Andrew, so who the beneficiary is of the prior use doesn't matter, which was my point.

Kagath's suggestion to keep your receipt is a great one. In general terms, I think there's a lot more latitude to assist a customer with a problem when we know when and where an item was purchased and whether it was new or used, than if we have no info.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 01:51:07 AM »

Qbe, I do see that you are not located far from me. Try the GS on Alpine Ave next to Toys'R'Us next time. I'm there on the weekends generally.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 03:25:24 AM »

Andrew, so who the beneficiary is of the prior use doesn't matter, which was my point.

Prior use means it's used, which means I'm not paying new price for it.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 03:36:58 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
Qbe, I do see that you are not located far from me. Try the GS on Alpine Ave next to Toys'R'Us next time. I'm there on the weekends generally.

Hey Kagath, you're not the guy with the Moogle tattoo, are you?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 04:05:02 AM »

Quote from: "Qbe"

MOOOOOGLE!!!
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 05:30:33 AM »

Heh, nope.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »

Heh, nope.

Good for you (though now I won't know which one you are at GS).  Moogle D00d refused to sell me Romancing Saga in December because he didn't like the game.  The guy at EB let me buy it, though.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »

Heh, I'm not sure who has the tattoo there.

But I'll be sure to make fun of them!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2006, 12:22:28 AM »

Heh, nope.

Good for you (though now I won't know which one you are at GS).  Moogle D00d refused to sell me Romancing Saga in December because he didn't like the game.  The guy at EB let me buy it, though.

For the love of god, someone kick the dorks ass. Wouldn't let you buy the game! biggrin

Had to edit this because my first post made no sense-this is what happens when you are replying to multiple posts in succession-you mix up thoughts and things end up making no sense lol!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2006, 02:47:35 AM »

The guy looks like he's mid-20s, has blond hair (but it looks bleached), maybe 5'7" or so.  I'm sure that's a really helpful description  :?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2006, 03:17:29 AM »

The guy looks like he's mid-20s, has blond hair (but it looks bleached), maybe 5'7" or so.  I'm sure that's a really helpful description  :?

Bring a camera or camera phone and take a picture.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: