http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:36:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone check Myto's attic: The Search for the Golden Cartridge  (Read 475 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »

Wired

Contri owned hundreds of Nintendo games, almost the full set, but what had “walked into the store” was something he’d never laid eyes on before: A Nintendo World Championships cartridge. Only a handful were known to exist, and they commanded upward of $5,000 each from collectors.

Now one of the incredibly rare cartridges — known to hard-core Nintendo collectors as the Holy Grail — had randomly shown up a mile away from Contri. “It’s almost like I was destined to have it,” he said.
There are two versions of the cartridge: There are gray-colored ones that were given to the 90 finalists in the Nintendo World Championships, hard-won prizes for a grueling gaming competition that consumed the lives and thumbs of thousands of Nintendo maniacs one long summer in 1990. Many remain undiscovered.

And then there are the 26 gold cartridges awarded in a Nintendo Power magazine contest. These became the most valuable Nintendo games in existence, valued at somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000 — and rising. Of the 26 gold cartridges Nintendo made, only 13 have been found.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »

Which bears the question, where is Mytocles? Haven't seen her post in a while.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »

I've held one smile 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 13, 2011, 08:09:04 PM

I've held one smile 

The cartridge or Mytocles?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:36:32 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:22:59 PM »

Angry Video Game Nerd had a special about this game very recently. You can watch it here. It will make you flinch. slywink
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on September 13, 2011, 08:03:24 PM

Which bears the question, where is Mytocles? Haven't seen her post in a while.

I sent her an email around the time the Hurricane had passed her,and she said she was fine,i also asked her to check a voice message on XBL for me i had sent to her because my headset had been playing up,and she replied about 2-3 days ago

I know she has been playing a lot of Forsaken World on PC as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 13, 2011, 08:22:59 PM

Angry Video Game Nerd had a special about this game very recently. You can watch it here. It will make you flinch. slywink

A great 'review' as always from the Nerd. biggrin

Like any collectable, anything of which there's only 26 of in the entire world will be worth a lot. That said - in the world of emulation, I can't imagine spending that much on a single game ever.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »

Remember the guest that Weekend Confirmed had on that talked about his collection. Want to say he was a couple games short of having the full NES library. I believe he stated that someone had contacted the winners of the Nintendo Power contest. I'm assuming the guy had offered money and probably had a few takers, but where the cartridges are now I don't know.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/68520/weekend-confirmed-episode-61
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »

Thank goodness for Metal! He tipped me off that I was being discussed here, lmao - so here I am, and here are my answers to the various questions:

1:  Sad to say, I do not own that particular NES cartridge; my claims to fame are two gold copies of the original Legend of Zelda; one copy of the Tengen version of Tetris (still the best iteration, imo)... mmm, and an Arkanoid with original controller.

2:  PR_GMR, I have been existing in an alternate universe for awhile now. I can be found in the Massive Multiplayer Madness forum (madness, indeed!) where I check in on the latest posts to the Forsaken World thread, and I am generally talking to myself.   Then I'm off to Eyrda to be enchanted, addicted, enslaved, enthralled, and any other conditions that usually require a 12-step program to extricate oneself.

3:  Hark, what we had together was special, and it is no one else's business at all!  icon_twisted

4:  Metal is right.  Metal is always right.  I survived the various tornadoes and hurricanes, pretty much unscathed, though I did spend some time in our cellar with my laptop, iPod, and DS - of course!  Since I started Forsaken World, the only visits to my XBL account have been by my 10 year old neighbor (that Maw game is amazing!), and I'm still playing Dungeon Raid on the iPod... during weekly FW maintenance, or when my fingers boycott the overuse of the mouse and I have to switch to a stylus.  In other words, Life in the Rabbit Hole! 

So that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, unless I minimized the full extent of my current gaming addiction, of course.  One of these days, I will figure out what I goofed on GT that disabled email notifications of posts (I'm pretty sure it was something stupid on my part, lol) and then I'll be a little more "present and accounted for." 

I guess that's it, you may return to your regularly scheduled discussion of whatever the hell this thread was started about, if you so choose! 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: