http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone asked about DivX and Xbox 360  (Read 747 times)
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2005, 01:44:51 PM »

Here is what I dug up on Team Xbox

31. Xbox 360 is supposed to be a digital media hub, Can it play Divx or Xvid content? My current DVD player can but what about 360?

No, the Xbox 360 won’t be able to play MPEG-4 variants other than Windows Media.

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1245/Xbox-360-FAQs/p1/

but then on # 40 they say this

40. Will the Xbox 360 play video from any Windows XP computer, or just media center PCs? What codecs is it going to play? DivX?

In order to stream content from a PC, you’ll need the Media Center edition of Windows plus the latest Update Rollup that will allow you to stream digital music, videos, photos, and standard and high-definition television and movies from Media Center PCs to any television in their home via the Xbox 360 gaming system.

The good news is that Windows Vista, the next-generation Windows due out in 2006, will be Xbox 360 compatible right out the box, without requiring a Media Center edition of Vista.

Regarding video codecs, the Xbox 360 will be play anything that a Windows Media Center PC streams to it, so the question of the codec applies more to the PC, not the Xbox 360 which simply act as an extender.

So it is still unclear.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 02:22:09 PM »

Actually, it is very clear.

The xbox360 will not decode any MPEG-4 Variant video natively. If the PC has the drivers and you are using the media extender for Windows XP Media Center ed., the PC will decode the signal and send a usable format to the 360.

So, YES if you have Windows XP MCE or VISTA, and NO if you just have XP Home or Pro.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 02:24:43 PM »

Reads pretty clear to me.

The 360 won't play it native to the box.
The 360 will display whatever video signal a Windows PC streams to it.

The short version - you'll need a $1000+ add-on known as a "Windows Vista PC" for it to play MPEG-4.  Otherwise, it won't.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »

Touche ;-)

That was supposed to be funny.

The confusing part is that in one statement they flat out state it isn't possible, and then contradict that later in question 40 by stating you can if you have Windows Media Center. It just would have been better to clear that up in one listing as a person may read #31 and think it isn't possible at all when in actuality a possibility exists but with certain parameters.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 04:57:59 PM »

I have a Media Center PC. I'll test it out now.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 05:13:58 PM »

I just tested it, and it's DOES NOT WORK AT ALL with avi files.

It plays fine on my Media Center PC, but the Xbox 360 says "Can not play video. File type is not recognized"

frown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 05:27:15 PM »

All I can say is YAY! for Modded Xboxes. smile  That's what I play all my video on so that I don't have to play it from my PC smile
Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:54:16 AM »

I've read several other places that the 360 cannot play .avi files, and will only stream video from Windows Media Center Edition, not Windows XP. I'm really disappointed with those limitations. Apparently, Windows Vista will stream video to the 360 when it comes out. I don't see why Microsoft didn't make the 360 stream videos from XP, except to squeeze out a few more sales of Media Center Edition.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 08:09:18 PM »

The manual states that it can from Windows XP SP2, and then you have to download additional software from MS to get it to work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: