http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:17:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Vampire: Bloodlines questions  (Read 4694 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2005, 03:13:13 AM »

**  Possible spoilers - beware!  **

I've been playing Vampire: Bloodlines like a fiend over the past month and am loving it.  Right now I'm in Hollywood and am getting ready to head out to the mansion in King's Way.  I got rid of the gargoyle and have done quite a bit of the side quests in Hollywood.  How many more hours am I looking at at this point?

Also, this game seems easy!  I got my Unarmed skill up to 5 and have just been whacking everything with my fists, celerity and blood buff.   I know from what I've heard that the end of the game favors ranged weapons but at this point I have almost 90 skill points saved up!  I think I could max out just about anything at this point and do okay.  Am I missing something?
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:25:34 AM »

I think you are about 2/3 of the way through now.  You still have some cool stuff ahead though.  That gargoyle was pretty neat.  I had a heck of a time bashing it to death with my magic sledgehammer.  But it was plenty of fun.

I really did enjoy this game, and as soon as I forget some more of the fine details, I am gonna burn through it again, as a different kind of vamp.  Maybe a talker this time...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 02:18:57 PM »

I played through as a Ventrue the first time.  They can be pretty powerful on some quests.  Being able to dominate in conversations really makes some parts easy, plus they are pretty darn good fighters.

I recommend building up to get mass suicide asap if you play a Ventrue... as I recall it was a rather fun ability. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 02:33:19 PM »

The mass suicide does sound cool.  I'm playing as a Toreador so my three disciplines are Celerity, Presence and Auspex.  I'm probably going to max Celerity and Presence after I get my Ranged weapons up to snuff.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 02:35:13 PM »

I'm playing through again as a Malkavian.  Ha!  Its a riot...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »

I've only played through as a Ventrue, but I think the next time will have to be Malkavian.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 10:36:10 PM »

so what's the concensus on this game?  Is it worth getting?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 11:59:48 PM »

That depends on whether you have a system powerful enough to run it and if you can overlook the plentiful bugs in the game.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 12:47:55 AM »

I'm using both the official 1.2 patch and the unofficial 1.4 patch and have basically been bug-free.  There was one doorway I got stuck in but a reload of my quicksave fixed it.  I have noticed some misspellings.  Otherwise no problems.

And I'm thoroughly enjoying the game although I'm starting the sewers and now I understand the game goes downhill.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 05:18:16 PM »

My brother has played through the game as every clan and told me that you should save playing the Malkavian for last.  There are a lot of neat foreshadowing conversations that you can only understand if you have played through at least once.  He said that it made the Malkavian experience that much better.

Toreadors are great for ranged weapons because of Auspex and Celerity.  Presence is awesome for damage reduction.  I'm not sure if the end game really does favor ranged weapons, but my brother was telling me that just using your disciplines well will make the game very easy.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 06:03:37 PM »

I went ahead and maxed out my Ranged skill, Celerity and Presence.  I got through the sewers with really no problem.  I'm pretty close to the end now - I just finished the Giovanni Mansion.  The game does seem to have become more combat heavy but I don't really mind much.  Now that I've maxed those mentioned above I'm just putting more points into Defense.

And I just got the flamethrower.  Hmmm... :twisted:
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 10:22:45 PM »

p4 3.2
radeon 9700 pro
512 ddr ram

Is that good enough?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 10:28:49 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
p4 3.2
radeon 9700 pro
512 ddr ram

Is that good enough?

p4 3.2
nVidia 6800 w/256 ram
1 gig ddr ram

Runs nice and smooth.  I ran it on a 2.53 w/512 ram and a 9600XT but it was really choppy.  You should be OK.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 11:05:37 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
p4 3.2
radeon 9700 pro
512 ddr ram

Is that good enough?

I think you'll be fine.  I played around a bit with it on my old system: XP 2100, GF4 4200 and 512 RAM.  At 1024x768 it ran good.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 04:15:15 PM »

On a P4 2.53ghz with 1GB of ram and a Ti4600, it was slower than a one legged dog.  Ended up playing through at 1024x768 since 800x600 made the maps unreadable in game.

The most irritating performance issue for me was every now and then, my character would keep trying to go straight after trying to turn and change direction.   Since my Ventrue was melee specific, it make hunting down some of the enemy guys a pain.  I'd whip out my katana, and run for them, then run past them, THEN finally be able to turn around to give 'em a good whack.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 07:51:52 PM »

Quote from: "Ibby"
On a P4 2.53ghz with 1GB of ram and a Ti4600, it was slower than a one legged dog.  Ended up playing through at 1024x768 since 800x600 made the maps unreadable in game.

The most irritating performance issue for me was every now and then, my character would keep trying to go straight after trying to turn and change direction.   Since my Ventrue was melee specific, it make hunting down some of the enemy guys a pain.  I'd whip out my katana, and run for them, then run past them, THEN finally be able to turn around to give 'em a good whack.

That's wierd.  I had that same setup playing at 1024x768 and I didn't have any problems with performance.  The game ran very smoothly for me even with a bunch of enemies on screen and playing my melee Malkavian.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 10:21:51 PM »

I've got a new 6800nu video card being shipped to me as we speak (for BF2), so at least I'll be able to compare the two cards and see whether the bottleneck was cpu or video.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 12:17:14 AM »

Finished the game using God mode.  Gah what a crap ending.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 05:19:01 AM »

While I didn't use god mode, I did max out every stat I had there near the end.  NO way I had the patience to go through that without help.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 01:59:02 PM »

My Ranged, Defense, Celerity and Presence were all maxed out.  It came down to ammo management.  Sure I had the frickin' flamethrower but there was no way to get more ammo once it was gone which made it effectively useless.

I'm thinking I'd have done better specializing in melee weapons.

Honestly the game just died for me at the House of Infinitely Respawning Monks.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 02:06:27 PM »

Finished the game using God mode. Gah what a crap ending.

No SIR!  Its not a crap ending...its THREE crap endings.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 05:25:29 PM »

Troika just ran out of creative juice near the end.   Let's take a very boring set of hallways laid out in a grid, and populate it with hundreds of ninjas.  Yeah, ninjas!
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 05:00:21 AM »

All Troika games look bad ass on paper but, sadly, suffer from horrible execution of one or more subsystems, QA/Testing inevitably being one.

olaf
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 06:25:43 PM »

Wow.  I guess I must be the only person who enjoyed the game from start to finish.  I even liked the ending I got.  It seemed appropriate to the story to me.

I also liked everything about Arcanum (well, except for the real time combat, that wasn't so much fun.  Thankfully they included a turn based combat option too).

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, I tend to not like what everyone else thinks is fan-friggin'-tastic.  Like Battlefield 2 currently.  Most Blizzard games also fall into this category for me, after several hours of play.

Ah well, I can hope there will be an end to the Troika bashing, now that they are dead.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 07:19:02 PM »

Oh I loved the game, just just didn't dig the endings. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 08:32:57 PM »

I literally thought it was one of the best games I'd played until I got to the Infinitely Respawning Monks.  Then the game just fell apart.  I'd never played Arcanum and Temple didn't do much for me but I was seriously loving Vampire.

No Troika bashing from me.  I just thought they totally f'd the ending up.  It felt like Serious Sam tacked onto one of the better RPG's I'd played.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2005, 05:03:03 AM »

I didn't mean to sound like I am accusing anyone of bashing Troika.  It just always seems to degenerate into that eventually.

I don't know about you guys, but I never played RPGs as interesting as Arcanum, Bloodlines, and the Fallouts.  Ever.  Those are the top of my list of great RPGs.  Nobody ever makes RPGs as big and complex as those.  Well, maybe the Baldur's Gate games were, but I never got into the generic D&D setting as much as the others I mentioned.  They had their problems, but I think most of the "bugs" were caused by the games' complexity.

It seems like no one wants to make big complex RPGs with lots of choices any more.  Now all we get is Generic Action RPG #X or whatever.  

With Troika gone, who is going to take chances and put out RPGs with interesting settings?  

I liked Jade Empire, but it was way too simple a game for it to count.  I would love to see a complex game with that setting.  And something longer as well.  Jade Empire, and most RPGs these days, end just as I am getting into the setting.  I hate that.

If you never played Arcanum, you should give it a try.  It has one of the most interesting settings I have ever seen in a game.  I wanted to play it the moment I heard about it.  Steampunk is just the coolest thing ever.  The combat is sorta like fallout, but not quite as good.  I don't know what it lacked, but it did feel like it was missing something that fallout got right.  It does have a somewhat generic sounding story, but I think the setting outweighs it.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »

I terribly miss not having more of the very complex and LONG RPGs.  The fallout setting just doesn't do it for me though.  I love high fantasy.

Baldur's Gate 2 was a godsend to me.  My first time through, it took me 215 hours.  I played it through again, min maxing and did it in 120 hours but skipped many side quests.  That first fun through just totally ranks, to me, as the best RPG experience ever.

Loved Icewind Dale, IMHO, the best dungeon crawl ever.

NWN, still ok, but didn't like the new direction with no big party.

Anyhow, i've been avoiding Vampire: Bloodlines at first cause of all the bugs and lately cause of all the talk about the terrible endings....  Am I just wrong to continue avoiding this? The vampire setting is appealing to me for an RPG...I just don't wanna feel like i wasted my time at the end=(
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2005, 04:19:57 PM »

I loved it.  Even though the ending blew big chunks I don't feel like I wasted my time at all.  I've actually got an itching to play through it again.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2005, 05:39:49 PM »

Thats really good to hear, I think i'll pick it up, I saw it at compUSA for 20 bucks.
PhreezePeach
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 12:32:59 AM »

Possible Spoilers Below ... and ... Spoilers Requested

I'm playing a Malkavian and I'm in the "warrens" in hollywood (after beating Andrei at King's way)

and I'm stuck

I'm in a pump control room ... there's a pump switch and a computer. I've disabled the arc'ing electricity via the small room

I'm assuming I need to flood the resevoirs in order to swim up thru the hole in the ceiling ... but everything I've tried to get them flooded and be able to swim the channel ... have failed .... what am I missing?

any help would be appreciated ... I'm jonesing for some blood  :twisted:

Dump a bag of Skittles in the toilet. Flush. Watch a three second NASCAR race.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 01:15:53 AM »

If I remember right once you disable the electricity there is a switch you need to throw.  Then you need to run/swim like hell to get down there before time runs out.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 01:36:27 AM »

yeah, that part is probably the most frustrating part in the game.  You have to be almost perfect.  You have to throw the switch that stops the flow and then swim very quickly up the tunnel and to the right before the flow starts again.

PhreezePeach
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 02:57:22 AM »

Got it ... Thanks

your tips set me on the right track ... what you do is START the pumps (because the resevoirs need to be full) ... any HANG time on the ladder or getting into the channel and you're borked

Frustration!!!! My enjoyment of this game went from 60 to zero in five, to use an automotive term in reverse

I tried everything .. you could have the switch in the OFF position and change it with the computer .. so I thought I had to make it malfunction somehow .. NOPE

I've really been enjoying this game so far .. re-spawning ninjas, you say, .. cool .. Just no more MYST puzzles  biggrin

now ... about that magic hammer ... my best weapon so far is a katana with a funky name I got from a female vampire hunter

Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 03:42:11 AM »

Well, now that I think about it, maybe the hammer wasn't magic, but I was doing extra damage because of a charm the Tremere regent gave me.  See, they don't much like Gargoyles, and the Gargoyles feel the same way.  So since I was a Tremere anyway, the guy decided to give me a charm to cause more damage to gargoyles.

I don't remember where I got the sledgehammer.  But it was pretty cool bashing that thing with it.

I mean, I TRIED to talk to the gargoyle, but I guess they just do not like Tremere, because in the end, he figured out that's what I was.

PhreezePeach
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 05:09:52 PM »

You could buy a sledgehammer from the "Red Spot" guy .. which I did about 2 minutes before I got the katana

I haven't come across the Gargoyle dude yet .. maybe that's a Tremere quest? .. I'll go back to the tremere regent in downtown .. I thought I was done with him

I'm anxious to try other clans .. but I'll miss Obsfucation (invisability) since I've used it more than the others ... Does Auspex ever amount to much?

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 05:39:33 PM »

Quote from: "PhreezePeach"
You could buy a sledgehammer from the "Red Spot" guy .. which I did about 2 minutes before I got the katana

I haven't come across the Gargoyle dude yet .. maybe that's a Tremere quest? .. I'll go back to the tremere regent in downtown .. I thought I was done with him

I'm anxious to try other clans .. but I'll miss Obsfucation (invisability) since I've used it more than the others ... Does Auspex ever amount to much?

The gargoyle is in Hollywood.  You'll get it from one of the main characters, so you haven't missed anything.  

I never had to fight the Gargoyle.  I just convinced him that I wasn't there to kill him and I wasn't Tremere (who would have tried to enslave him) and that he should guard the theatre for the Camarilla.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 06:27:08 PM »

I never used Auspex.

My Toreador had Celerity and Presence maxed out.
PhreezePeach
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2005, 06:48:11 AM »

Hi .. Stuck again .. Requesting help

I'm in the Fu Syndicate .. basically the second puzzle room with rotating blades (after the laser beam room)  Im really thinking the game is screwing up and not triggering an event (ie .. the exit door opening)

one of the reasons I say this is because if i quick-save after the laser beams and then eventually reload this save the rotating blades aren't moving at all .. and the door, of course, fails to open

but .. unless I'm missing the point of the puzzle (to stay alive amongst these blades until the door opens) ... then, the event isn't triggering

HELP  :shock:

PhreezePeach
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2005, 09:05:31 AM »

Never mind

I found a neat little site called ... GameFAQs  :lol:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: