http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 02:26:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some kind of Magic The Gathering game coming to XBLA  (Read 2071 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:07 AM »

No details yet, other than that it's coming.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:08:10 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:57:25 AM »

Potentially the biggest announcement for Live in its history to date. We have to see how well it's done, but this is definately something to watch.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:41:26 AM »

But we already have it! It's called Culdcept. slywink

PSN ID: EduardoX
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:25:43 AM »

Lucky for 360 owners.

But to be honest, playing the abomination that is Magic: The Gathering Online right now gives me little hope they'll be able to pull it off.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:26:46 AM »

Wow, I stopped playing that so long ago... if it was done right I could be convinced to give it a go, but depends how it is implemented.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 04:33:13 AM »

99% sure it's not actual magic, just some bastardized thing like the battlegrounds game we got on the original xbox.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/021808

Hi everyone!

My name is Worth Wollpert, and I'm the Brand Manager for Magic's digital initiatives here at Wizards of the Coast. As you can see from the press release below, we're proud and excited to announce two major Magic-themed digital offerings and we're thrilled to be working with some of the best names in gaming; Microsoft, Stainless Games, and Mind Control Software.

As a long time Magic player and Wizards of the Coast R&D member, I feel great knowing that we have the best minds in the industry working on some groundbreaking new products showcasing the Magic IP.

It's a little bit too soon for more detail than what's contained in the release below, but rest assured that as these products develop, you will see more and more in the way of announcements on our end, building the excitement right up until their release dates.

Beyond the card game, the Magic IP is a largely untapped wealth of fantasy with stories begging to be told. These products are a part of our strategy to start doing just that.

I hope you are all as excited as we are to see what's coming next.

While being able to play magic on xbla would be awesome, I can't imagine the morons at wizards of the coast development to actually pull off something like that. Not for $10, anyways, when you consider how much of a cash cow Magic Online is for them.

Speaking of that, I wrote a long post on another site about how bad magic v3 development is going. Some lowlights:

- Timer indicating when the release will be ready, but pauses when they run into problems

They've actually smartened up on this and started keeping their internal development methods internal... Or maybe realized they're no where near release.

- When v3 goes up, features are not going to be implemented. League play, Multiplayer, and Redemption is gone.

This is huge. If Blizzard ever re-vamped world of warcraft, and decided to release the new version WITHOUT BATTLEGROUNDS or INSTANCED DUNGEONS, there would be an uproar, but that's exactly what these guys are doing. You can't play on the old version, because it's just gone!

One better:

- One week before v3 goes up, v 2.5 comes down.

Not one day, one WEEK. I can't stress how stupid this is. What do they need a full week to do besides copying a database and installing software? I just don't understand how it could take that long.

Considering how flaky v 2.5 is with regular server crashes... I can empathize with their problems, but I think I could do a better job at fixing things than they're doing.

So to hear they're working on MORE software? Not interested.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:06:44 AM »

The press release also makes it sound like a game that's based on the MTG universe, but not the card game itself.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »

Quote from: greeneggsnham on February 19, 2008, 02:57:25 AM

Potentially the biggest announcement for Live in its history to date for geeks

There I fixed that for you. Tongue

Also what's with this?

Magic: The Gathering, introduced in 1993, is the premier and original trading card game that inspired an entirely new game genre.

Did card games not exist before Magic the gathering?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »

I think they should drop everything and make Robo Rally for XBLA instead.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 01:40:33 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 19, 2008, 09:17:01 AM

Magic: The Gathering, introduced in 1993, is the premier and original trading card game that inspired an entirely new game genre.

Did card games not exist before Magic the gathering?

Trading card games didn't. To the best of my knowledge, it was the first.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 03:25:55 PM »

Even thought it would be cool to have a real MTG game on XBL, you just know if they did that you'd be forced to buy booster packs for the game.  F that.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »

From DS Fanboy.  Nice...

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »

They are calling it Duels of the Planeswalkers... isn't that the name of the Microprose one?  If it's anything like that one instead of Magic The Gathering: Online, I'm very excited.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »

The game is coming on June 17 - no word on pricing yet.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 03, 2009, 07:45:32 PM

I'm glad to see it's finally coming out. Screenshots have made this look great.

Expect $20.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 03, 2009, 06:52:48 PM

They are calling it Duels of the Planeswalkers... isn't that the name of the Microprose one?  If it's anything like that one instead of Magic The Gathering: Online, I'm very excited.

Yeah same as the Microprose title.  I liked that one.  I'm probably in for this, even though I've never actually played the physical card game.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 10:43:46 PM »

Oh... I really liked that one for the pc.  Awesome news IF this is going to be the same game.

wiki link to jar people's memories

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 19, 2008, 04:33:13 AM

Hi everyone!

My name is Worth Wollpert, and I'm the Brand Manager for Magic's digital initiatives here at Wizards of the Coast. As you can see from the press release below, we're proud and excited to announce two major Magic-themed digital offerings and we're thrilled to be working with some of the best names in gaming; Microsoft, Stainless Games, and Mind Control Software.

As a long time Magic player and Wizards of the Coast R&D member, I feel great knowing that we have the best minds in the industry working on some groundbreaking new products showcasing the Magic IP.

It's a little bit too soon for more detail than what's contained in the release below, but rest assured that as these products develop, you will see more and more in the way of announcements on our end, building the excitement right up until their release dates.

Beyond the card game, the Magic IP is a largely untapped wealth of fantasy with stories begging to be told. These products are a part of our strategy to start doing just that.

I hope you are all as excited as we are to see what's coming next.

I used to play magic with Worth Wollpert every Friday night back in my college years.  icon_eek  Strange to see him working for Wizards now.
I just noticed this thread,  Will this be a single player game or multiplayer? If it's playable online I'll be all over it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »

I think it's going to be both singleplayer and multiplayer.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 11:16:34 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 03, 2009, 10:43:46 PM

Oh... I really liked that one for the pc.  Awesome news IF this is going to be the same game.

wiki link to jar people's memories

It's not.  It has a single-player campaign (just a series of matches vs. AI, I think), co-op campaign, some challenges (win in one turn), and one-off duels vs. AI or other players.  Apparently, the deck building is limited to replacing cards in pre-built decks with new ones you acquire.  I'm not sure how many or which cards are supposed to be included.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »

This looks really cool, thanks for the update!!!  I had no idea they were working on it.

Here's a link to the website with gameplay footage:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/DuelsOfThePlaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/dotp/whatis
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 03, 2009, 08:23:49 PM

Quote from: EddieA on June 03, 2009, 07:45:32 PM

I'm glad to see it's finally coming out. Screenshots have made this look great.

Expect $20.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/060509a

Well, I braced myself for this to be $20... turns out it's $10.  eek

http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/dotp/whatis

With your purchase of Duels of the Planeswalkers on XBox LIVE Arcade for 800 MS points, you will receive a code valid for an exclusive Magic: the Gathering, limited edition, foil Garruk Wildspeaker Planeswalker promo card as a gift from Wizards of the Coast!*

Which, if you follow the game much, you know this is ridiculous... since Garruk is a $10-$15 card on it's own.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »

This is a must buy for me  nod

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 10, 2009, 01:53:39 PM

Which, if you follow the game much, you know this is ridiculous... since Garruk is a $10-$15 card on it's own.

Well it will not be a 10-15 dollar card for long smile

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 10, 2009, 02:41:35 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 10, 2009, 01:53:39 PM

Well it will not be a 10-15 dollar card for long smile

You don't understand the idiocy of Magic: The Gathering singles prices very much. These Cryptic Commands for example come in the mail for free to anyone who's played in 20 sanctioned events, as do these incinerates which are available as commons and for about a dime a piece in regular forms.

I'm certain Garruk's reprint in a duel deck, the CCG, and in M10 will drive down the value to somewhere closer to $10. But not much lower.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »

There's a lengthy preview video on Youtube.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »

I've never played the actual card game before. Actually, that's not true. I tried when I was in high school, but just couldn't get into it.

Having said that, I tried the demo last night and really liked the game, and because it was only 800 points I ended up making the purchase. There's a tutorial which helps with basic rules and controls, which helped a lot. The single player campaign has you going up against different AI opponents, and when you beat them you can get either a new card or a different deck.

The first couple of fights are very easy, and it's interesting to see how different decks require different strategies. The basic deck that it started me with was a green deck, and it worked well for a couple of fights, but then I went up against a white deck which had a bunch of flying creatures that I couldn't block. After a couple of failed attempts I switched to the red deck and was able to use the creature abilities to take them out. Going back and forth between the decks has been interesting, seeing the strengths and weakness for each type.

Gameplay wise it works pretty well. You can zoom in on each card, and then hit RB or LB to get a quick description about the card. Each part of a turn seems to work off of a timer, and if it is your turn you can skip ahead by hitting Y. The controls seemed very basic and intuitive. About the only thing that I keep screwing up on is you use the left stick to cycle between cards and the d-pad to switch your views...which sounds good except my brain apparantly wants me to use the d-pad to cycle between the cards, so the screen starts rotating violently until I realize what is going on. About the only problem I saw with the rest of the gameplay is that sometimes when the computer plays a card everything will freeze. It happened twice, but both times I was able to "kick start" the game by hitting the right trigger and zooming in on a random card.

As for the rules of the game, having never played the game before and not being familiar with any of the cards, sometimes I feel like I'm playing a game of Calvinball and the AI is just making up rules. I spent two turns powering up a creature so that it had something like 12/12 for it's attack/defense...and the AI drops a card on it that says I can't attack or block with that creature anymore. Or I will put out a spell and they drop a card that immediately negates my spell.  saywhat

Overall I am surprised by how much I am enjoying the game. I'm still trying to figure out how the decks work, as I don't know if the new cards I am winning are being automatically put in my deck, or I have to go to the deck manager to put them in. I also haven't figured out how to create a combined deck yet, but I haven't really explored the deck manager yet. And, I'm assuming that the second I step into MP, I will be destroyed and laughed at mercilessly...so I've avoided that.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »

lots of impressions and discussion over in this thread:
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=34248.0

Quote from: msteelers on June 19, 2009, 02:19:20 PM

Overall I am surprised by how much I am enjoying the game. I'm still trying to figure out how the decks work, as I don't know if the new cards I am winning are being automatically put in my deck, or I have to go to the deck manager to put them in. I also haven't figured out how to create a combined deck yet, but I haven't really explored the deck manager yet. And, I'm assuming that the second I step into MP, I will be destroyed and laughed at mercilessly...so I've avoided that.

The only deck building option you get is whether to include earned cards in your pre-fab deck or not. They are added to the deck by default so if you want them in, no action is necessary.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:30:48 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 19, 2009, 02:26:40 PM

lots of impressions and discussion over in this thread:
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=34248.0

So that's what M:tG stands for.  retard

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: