http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Interesting EGM rumors - Square Enix Specific  (Read 3090 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 06:08:47 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

As for Final Fantasy, I was there at the beginning with the NES and FF1, and I've loved them all, 8 and X-2 included.

i love the fantasies as well,and have them all...but surely you lie about loving FFX-2 Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 07:29:52 AM »

Nope - it was corny and silly most of the time, but it was fun to play, and has the second-best battle system in the series, behind FF6.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 01:44:53 PM »

I honestly welcome and hope that square goes back to nintendo.  I don't want to dish out the money for a PS3 to play a FF game.  

I also doubt they would release it on both; when have they released a FF game on two different systems? (not including the online FFXI)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
warning

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 01:50:06 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
I also doubt they would release it on both; when have they released a FF game on two different systems? (not including the online FFXI)

Again they released FFVII and FFVIII on the PC.  There certainly has been a precedent.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 03:13:20 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Again they released FFVII and FFVIII on the PC.  There certainly has been a precedent.

and while they're really ports of older titles, all the Nintendo Final Fantasies were released in collections for the PS1, as was Chrono Trigger (in the collection with FFIV).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2006, 07:56:21 PM »

Not pick nits or anything, but Eidos published the games on PC

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2006, 08:15:19 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

Not pick nits or anything, but Eidos published the games on PC

That was back when Square didn't even publish their console games themselves in the US.  IIRC, Square was partnered with EA at the time for publishing.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2006, 09:51:20 PM »

Whatever happened to that other MMO Square was hyping a year or two back?  It was called something like Fantasy Ring or something very generic sounding like that.  Anyone remember that?  They had a website and everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2006, 10:39:02 PM »

It was Fantasy Earth : The Ring of Dominion.  Square has denied that they are working on FFXI-2, but rather are working on a new MMORPG.  Unless it turns out to be Fantasy Earth, I would assume the game was cancelled.  Either way, I don't believe Fantasy Earth was ever intended to be released outside of Japan.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2006, 12:43:50 AM »

...if the PS3 tanks, the next gen system to have is the 360 beyond the japanese market.

I'm surprised that anyone is even considering this as an option. The PS3 will be a titan despite the initial cost. There are too may developers on board for the system to crash. Plus, Sony has the strongest development house of all three console manufacturers.  Other consoles will gain ground on Sony, but the next generation will still belong to them.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2006, 12:55:36 AM »

Quote from: "Dante Rising"
...if the PS3 tanks, the next gen system to have is the 360 beyond the japanese market.

Other consoles will gain ground on Sony, but the next generation will still belong to them.

I'll take that bet.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2006, 03:26:52 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"

Other consoles will gain ground on Sony, but the next generation will still belong to them.

I'll take that bet.

Yeah.  I don't know any casual gamers who will spend $500-600 on a game console.  Casual gamers are what sold the PS2 in droves, especially to families with children and teenagers.  Casual gamers probably don't have HDTV and could care less about Blu-Ray.  Without casual gamers, Sony is pricing itself as a niche product.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 05:25:05 AM »

I thought the same thing about a $250 handheld with $50 games, but look at how well the PSP has sold.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:50 PM »

I thought the same thing about a $250 handheld with $50 games, but look at how well the PSP has sold.

And look at how well the PSP's games have sold.

We're not comparing iPod sales to DS sales, or DVD player sales to X-Box sales, are we?

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »

but if I remember correctly, they weren't released on pc till well after they were released on the ps1.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »

but if I remember correctly, they weren't released on pc till well after they were released on the ps1.

FF7 for the PC came out in the summer of '98 which, IIRC, was less than a year after it's PS1 release so that doesn't seem too excessive.  No idea when FF8 for the PC hit though.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2006, 08:12:18 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"

And look at how well the PSP's games have sold.

We're not comparing iPod sales to DS sales, or DVD player sales to X-Box sales, are we?

Hell the PSP hasn't really sold that well period. Considering the expectations behind it? The DS has mopped the floor with the PSP

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2006, 11:33:21 PM »

Hell the PSP hasn't really sold that well period. Considering the expectations behind it? The DS has mopped the floor with the PSP

In Japan the DS is king.  The PSP has sold almost as well as the DS in the US and I believe Europe.  I haven't seen numbers since the DS Lite hit the US so that might be killing it now.

PSP games haven't sold as well.  But at the same time it looks like only Nintendo first-party titles sell well on the DS.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2006, 12:22:24 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
PSP games haven't sold as well.  But at the same time it looks like only Nintendo first-party titles sell well on the DS.

Yeah, but:
Sony has the strongest development house of all three console manufacturers.

biggrin Gotta love a good console flame war (which is fortunately remaining quite amicable here, actually).  Especially when the people who oppose my side of the debate contradict their side's positions.  slywink

To be clear, my primary point is that Sony is backing themselves into a dangerous corner via their high price point and cavalier attitude about their "ensured" success.  That's what got Nintendo cut down at the knees (though it wasn't their consumer price, but their licensing fees to third parties), and it's looking like it's going to bite Sony in the ass, too.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2006, 12:30:25 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

In Japan the DS is king.  The PSP has sold almost as well as the DS in the US and I believe Europe.  I haven't seen numbers since the DS Lite hit the US so that might be killing it now.

Well, you're almost right, the DS outsold PSP almost 3:1 in June. Yep that's right, DS Sold roughly 600k versus a little over 200k for PSP. Through May the DS had roughly 150 to 200k unit lead, and is now comfortably sitting with over a half million unit lead in the US.

As for Software, there are several 100k sellers from 3rd parties, but they're nothing comared to what Nintendo does themselves. From my understanding though, DS is relatively inexpensive to develop for, so 3rd parties are making good money on lower numbers. It took the GBA almost 2 years before 3rd party games started taking off, and with the higher quality 3rd part games coming this fall I think we can probably see several 3rd parties doing extremely well.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2006, 09:08:28 PM »

Someone over at GAF was able to pull the 360 shipment numbers out of Microsoft's quarterly earnings statements, and they seem to support the idea that Microsoft is doing well in NA, somewhat okay in Europe, and miserably in Japan:

Q2: 900,000 500,000 100,000
Q3: 900,000 600,000 200,000
Q4: 1,500,000 200,000 100,000

Column one is North American shipments, while columns 2 and 3 are European and Japanese shipments. I shamelessly cribbed this from GAF.

Look at the shipments in the 3rd quarter. Microsoft really diverted a lot of units to NA from Europe. This seems to indicate that demand for the 360 is very soft over there.  Going by the shipments, it's a safe bet to assume that the 360 has sold less than a million units in Europe, compared to about 2 million for the US.  It'll be interesting to see how things play out when the PS3 and Wii are released.

Keep in mind that these are shipment figures, not sales figures. Best estimates place the 360 as having sold around 3 million so far.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2006, 09:19:28 PM »

There's no doubt that the 360 is a near-failure in Japan right now.  I watch the sales figures on The Magic Box regularly, and those sales stats are downright ugly.

Honestly, in Japan it's going to come down to the Wii and the PS3.  That's still up in the air.

Interestly, one of the online stores in Japan did a survey of their customers, and the numbers are roughly 2:1 in favor of wanting the PS3 over the Wii.  However, online sales aren't necessarily an indicator of overall success, since the majority of sales are still made through traditional brick & mortar retail.  Additionally, it's generally more of the dedicated gamers (not the "hardcore" gamers necessarily) who shop online, and they often are willing to spend more on their gaming than others.

The 360 was a big, big stretch for me; I thought long and hard before dropping the money on it.  The PS3 is simply way outside of my conceivable spending territory.  I love JRPG's, they're my favorite console genre, but I'm just going to have to be happy with whatever hits the 360, the Wii, and the DS, as well as just replaying the classics I love.  *shrugs*

I'm really wondering how many other JRPG fans like me are out there.  That's going to be a big deciding factor for Square Enix as they decide what to do this generation.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2006, 09:42:38 PM »

Well Farscry you bring up an interesting point, RPGs are allready expensive to develop, being the PS3/360 is even more expensive, so concievably, this rumor could be true in that Square can still develop a top notch RPG and not have it cost them an arm and a leg to publish. Granted that's all based on how well the damned Wii sells.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2006, 09:53:20 PM »

I'm really wondering how many other JRPG fans like me are out there.

Same boat here.  No way I'm spending that much money on a console.  At least not until the price drops a couple hundred dollars.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2006, 10:08:37 PM »

I'm really wondering how many other JRPG fans like me are out there.

Same boat here.  No way I'm spending that much money on a console.  At least not until the price drops a couple hundred dollars.

I'm in the same boat. If the PS3 ends up with all the good JRPGs again I'm banking on two things: one, it's always a couple of years before any quantity of good RPGs show up on this system (other than stuff like Evergrace and Ephemeral Phantasia), and that they'll be a couple of price drops in that period.

I honestly don't see the PS3 still costing $600 next June. I really think that the initial price is just a cynical ploy to get early adopters to pay them high prices instead of to resellers on eBay.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2006, 11:37:46 PM »

I'll wait until the $500 PS3 is dropped to $400, and get it then.  By then, there should be some good RPGs out, and there should be enough between the 360 and (hopefully) Wii to last me until then.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2006, 12:43:03 AM »

I'm really wondering how many other JRPG fans like me are out there.  That's going to be a big deciding factor for Square Enix as they decide what to do this generation.

I love JRPG's, but I'm in the same boat.  I simply won't be able to afford it.  Since most of the good RPG's come mid-late product life cycle (at least with the PS1 & PS2), I'm more than content to wait until the price drops.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: