http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:22:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Interesting EGM rumors - Square Enix Specific  (Read 3086 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:46:53 PM »

First;

Square seems to be developing a next-gen Silpheed as well as Front Mission Online, for the 360. Unfortunately they'll probably not be published stateside by Square

Next;

Square is in the process of working on a MMO Secret of Mana game for the Plays.... ER.... Nintendo Wii, yes that's right Nintendo Wii.

Lastly;

Rumors coming out of Squenix is that if the DS Dragonquest and the Wii Dragonquest games perform well then Square will push DQ9 on the Wii. exclusively. From what I've seen of the DS games, they look awesome. So if we get that kind of work out of the team for the Wii, I think we can pencil DQ9 in.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:02:27 PM »

Also, FFXI-2 was basically announced for Vista, PS3 and maybe 360.  Sequel to FFXI, that is. smile
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:47:25 PM »

Unless the gameplay of DQ9 absolutely requries a wiimote, then 'BOOO!'  if they decide to go exclusive to the Wii.  What, DQ8 on the PS2 didn't sell well enough?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:00:02 PM »

Unless Nintendo buys Square Enix, DQ9 as a Wii-exclusive is not going to happen.  If the DQ games for DS and Wii do well, I can see them making DQ9 for both PS3 and Wii, but there's no way it will be Wii-exclusive.  That wouldn't make any sense.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:03:39 PM »

Last I heard Square was pissed off at Sony, maybe they are going Wii, Wii, Wiiiii all the way to the Wii.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Unless Nintendo buys Square Enix, DQ9 as a Wii-exclusive is not going to happen.  If the DQ games for DS and Wii do well, I can see them making DQ9 for both PS3 and Wii, but there's no way it will be Wii-exclusive.  That wouldn't make any sense.

Unless Sony buys Squaresoft, Final Fantasy VII as a Playstation-exclusive is not going to happen.  If some Squaresoft titles for the Playstation do well, I can see them making Final Fantasy VII for both the Nintendo 64 and the Playstation, but there's no way it will be Playstation-exclusive.  That wouldn't make any sense.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:43:08 PM »

Unless Microsoft buys Square-Enix DQ9 as 360 exclusive is not going to happen.

I'd be thrilled with DQ9 on the Wii.  At least then I'll be able to play it!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 12:02:25 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Also, FFXI-2 was basically announced for Vista, PS3 and maybe 360.  Sequel to FFXI, that is. smile

Dude!  SWEET!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 12:02:54 AM »

I can't put any stock into a rumor that any major developer would make a game for the Japanese 360 market only.  So, baloney on #1.  I think we've seen a screen or two of the 'next-gen' Silpheed though.  Unless that is just a strange way of phrasing that "another company will be the US publisher" which makes more sense.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 12:14:32 AM »

Sylpheed and Front Mission Online are definitely real, and AFAIK, Sylpheed at least is 360 exclusive.  I would assume FM Online would be PS3, though.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 12:53:12 AM »

Hey it's just a rumor, and completely stranger things have happened, and I think Farscry addressed that fairly well.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 02:24:04 AM »

Unless the PS3 tanks and the Wii takes off, I can't see Square Enix dropping support for the system that is likely going to have the largest install base, especially with their biggest seller.  It makes more sense than moving it to the 360, but why would they want to limit their sales?  When they made FF7 a Playstation exclusive, it was due to their fallout with Nintendo and the cartridge format of the N64.  As I said before, I do think there's a chance we'll see DQ9 on the Wii, just not exclusively.  Unless of course they're using Microsoft's definition of exclusivity, which means that it's available on both systems slywink

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 02:55:11 AM »

Unless the PS3 tanks and the Wii takes off, I can't see Square Enix dropping support for the system that is likely going to have the largest install base, especially with their biggest seller.

... and I'm starting to think Wii might pull that off. It's going to be frickin' huge in Japan. And whether it's justified or not, pure bullshit or not, the PS3 is looking kind of shaky right now.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 04:17:35 AM »

Oh joy, more online games.  I can barely contain my excitement.  :roll:

Man, I miss the days of the incredible single-player Square RPG's.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 05:44:58 AM »

Those days are still here.  FFX was the best RPG they've made, IMO, and it looks like FF12 might top it.  Especially now with Enix added, they're putting out a long list of good-to-great single-player games, with several more coming this fall, such as Valkyrie Profile 2, FF12, and FF3.  I don't have any interest in the online games, but it's helping them make money, and they're continuing the single-player series of their online games (FF, Front Mission, Mana).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 07:47:20 AM »

By the way, they're making a FFVIII-2.  That's right, Squall, Rinoa, and the gang from one of the worst FF games are back.

And yes, just like FFX-2 they made some dumbass fanservice changes to characters.  Rinoa, in particular, now looks like a slut.

Not that her looking like a slut in an outfit is a bad thing, but all the time in game?  Come on.

FF must stand for fading funds or something.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 11:05:58 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
By the way, they're making a FFVIII-2.  That's right, Squall, Rinoa, and the gang from one of the worst FF games are back.

And yes, just like FFX-2 they made some dumbass fanservice changes to characters.  Rinoa, in particular, now looks like a slut.

Not that her looking like a slut in an outfit is a bad thing, but all the time in game?  Come on.

I particularly loved Final Fantasy 8; it is probably my 4th favorite after FF10, FF4, and FF6--and not far behind.  It was unique to the other Final Fantasy games in that the love story was so much more prevalent and developed.  I found that this extra concentration on narrative really made this game one of the best in the series--because after all, narrative and character development is what the Final Fantasy series is about.

Speaking of sub par FF's, most people fervently fawn over FF7, but personally I dislike it.  To me the dialogue was detached like a bad translation, and the story was slightly under-developed--the game didn't do enough to cinematically tie together the diegesis, opting to focus more on the repetitive and bland gameplay.  FF7 had the plot and characters to be one of the greats--to which many people already believe it is--but just fell short for me.  It definitely deserves some recognition but I believe nearly all of the other FF's were greater.  Again, just getting my personal opinion off my chest!
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »

FF8 is my second favorite in FF series. I think maybe most people were hoping for something like FF7 and FF8 failed in that. FF8 is more of a love story/romance between the two main characters and their parents.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 11:54:11 AM »

I really enjoyed FF VIII as well.  The story and characters were great, the problem was the horrible battle system.  Having to spend half your game time drawing spells from enemies was a particularly bad idea.  If they could bring back the same group with a new combat model (and not go the Final-Fantasy-Dress-Up route they took with FFX-2), I'd be all over it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 12:04:48 PM »

so,what are you saying?.....that this is a bad thing?,LOL

7 and 9 are my favourites ..8 was good...11 is great but you have to put some time into it....10 was a dissapointment,as it was practically on rails..the others you had more sense of freedom,even if this wasnt exactly true

FF10-2...was pants!!...good graphics though

not sure about all these sequels,surely they have heard everyone say how bad ff10-2 was....so why make sequels to the others?....just keep doing what you have been doing

i think there are like 5 or so FF7 spin off games coming in the next year.....getting silly!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 12:29:17 PM »

Unless the PS3 tanks and the Wii takes off, I can't see Square Enix dropping support for the system that is likely going to have the largest install base, especially with their biggest seller.  It makes more sense than moving it to the 360, but why would they want to limit their sales?

Are we doing the Future chicken counting event? I forgot my magical hat of fortune-telling. frown At this time, PS3 has generated 0 sales. As to Wii being viable, the japanese games haven't pushed technical envelopes (typically speaking) ... they push art and pre-rendered moreso than game(this is a generalization; I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule). If the Wii has a larger audience (and Nintendo has been around the block a few times on this whole "new console launch" thing), then they're going to go where the Money* is. Nintendo is more than capable of being a console leader; they've been in the captains seat before.

As to the "make more sense than moving it to the 360" comment, if the PS3 tanks, the next gen system to have is the 360 beyond the japanese market... guess what? That means that all the people who would have bought it on the PS platform will likely have a 360, and the developer doesn't lose. MS may also coax them with a bigger kickback or something; they need the Japanese devs to be able to crack the land of the rising fun.

The japanese market has not grown in the past 4 years; it's actually shrunk in the console market. (hand-helds is the moneymaker there, IIRC). Developers have to look at international sales and decide where they're going to earn their chunk of the 10+billion dollar market.

*Yes, nintendo IS IN FACT making money. Sorry Devil. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »

FF8 was painful.  Squall is the biggest whiney emo bag of ass this side of a Dashboard Confessional concert.  He needs a fork in the eye.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »

Amazing how we all differ in opinions.  For me FFX was the worst Final Fantasy game I have ever played.  I didn't even bother to try FFX-2, and will most likely never buy another FF game.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 01:34:34 PM »

I'm interested in FF12, but, 8 and 10 did nothing for me.  I enjoy the story, but the mechanics of the game have to work for me to stay with the game.  I really liked 9.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
FF8 was painful.  Squall is the biggest whiney emo bag of ass this side of a Dashboard Confessional concert.  He needs a fork in the eye.

Thank you.

I was getting worried about everyone here.  FF8 was only slightly better than FFX-2.  At least FF8 didn't take my testicles away.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 01:44:46 PM »

Rumor #1 makes no sense at all. Why would they possibly develop a 360 verison of anything and only release it in Japan where noone has one?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 02:03:22 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Rumor #1 makes no sense at all. Why would they possibly develop a 360 verison of anything and only release it in Japan where noone has one?

Perhaps it is strategy by MS working with Square to drive sales.  I am sure some decent Square games would cause a considerable stir of interest for the system.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 02:16:36 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
I'm interested in FF12, but, 8 and 10 did nothing for me.  I enjoy the story, but the mechanics of the game have to work for me to stay with the game.  I really liked 9.

Old school Final Fantasy gamer I take it? I feel the exact same way, and I started back on FF1.

I am willing to give FF12 a chance though. It looks rather interesting. Let's just hope that it is.

Quote from: "kathode"

This post wins. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »

Yep, started with FF6 and loved it.  7 was okay, but I bogged down in it.  Wasn't really a fan of the 3d enviornments at the time.

Oddly enough I've played at least a little bit of all of the FF's, but, I've never finished one.

On the other hand Moriarty has finished most of them 20 times or so, I lose count  :lol:

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 03:07:15 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"

Unless Sony buys Squaresoft, Final Fantasy VII as a Playstation-exclusive is not going to happen.  If some Squaresoft titles for the Playstation do well, I can see them making Final Fantasy VII for both the Nintendo 64 and the Playstation, but there's no way it will be Playstation-exclusive.  That wouldn't make any sense.

Didn't they release FF7 for the PC?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2006, 03:15:56 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Unless the PS3 tanks and the Wii takes off, I can't see Square Enix dropping support for the system that is likely going to have the largest install base, especially with their biggest seller.

... and I'm starting to think Wii might pull that off. It's going to be frickin' huge in Japan. And whether it's justified or not, pure bullshit or not, the PS3 is looking kind of shaky right now.

First off, EddieA, hopefully you've picked up in previous threads that I'm along the same line as you in tastes for JRPG's and console rpg's in general.  smile  So I'm not ripping on you at all here.

But I maintain the point I made earlier:  if, back in 95/96, you'd have asked any Square fan if they believed that Square would jump ship off of Nintendo for Sony, they'd have told you that you were flat out crazy.

There were many reasons for Square to stick with Nintendo, and many reasons for them to move to Sony.  The main reasons they switched to Sony were for storage space issues and due to business disagreements (behind the scenes arguments we aren't fully privy to even today).

Rumors are indicating that Square may be having a new fallout with Sony, and there are lots of indications that Nintendo is quite likely to rival Sony this generation (and possibly even overtake them) in total installed userbase worldwide, and possibly even in the Japan-specific market.

The storage on the Wii will be quite reasonable for the needs of JRPG's, compared to the key storage limitation of the N64's cartridge format: not enough room for video and quality music file formats.

So, do I believe this is going to happen?  Not necessarily.  But it's well within the bounds of possibility, and I think a lot will depend on how well things work out for Square's titles on the Wii/DS as well as just how much trouble the PS3 runs into (or not).

I see the most likely result of the upcoming generation as S-E going much more multiplatform than previously.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"

Hey, good catch; I'd forgotten about that.  I think they did that with both FF7 and FF8, but stopped doing pc ports after that.

I'm not sure on the specifics behind this.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2006, 04:30:28 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "Farscry"

Sure.  They released both 7 & 8 for the PC.  They weren't the best of ports though.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »

square have stepped in and made an announcement

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/finalfantasy11/news.html?sid=6154196

Square Enix shoots down Final Fantasy XI II reports
[UPDATE] Nikkei news agency reports that sequel is coming to the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Windows Vista; Square Enix denies announcement, reconfirms "all-new" next-gen MMORPG.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Jul 18, 2006 1:33 am GMT
Though it was the centerpiece of Microsoft's Electronic Entertainment Expo 2005 press briefing, the Xbox 360 edition of Final Fantasy XI hasn't really taken off. As of the end of May 2006, the next-gen console edition of the massively multiplayer online role-playing game has sold just 72,194 copies in the US, according to the NPD group.

FFXI's lackluster showing on the 360 is in large part due to the game having been available on the PC and PlayStation 2 since 2003 and 2004, respectively. Now, though, it appears that an all-new FFXI is in the works for Microsoft's next-gen console--as well as its prime competitor.

According to a Monday report on Nikkei.net, "Square Enix will develop a sequel to Final Fantasy XI...for three platforms: Sony Computer Entertainment's next-generation PlayStation 3, the Xbox 360, and the Windows Vista PC operating system." Since Windows Vista won't be available until 2007, the PC edition of the game would likely not launch until next year--at the earliest.

The Nikkei report was short on details, containing neither a release date nor an official title for the FFXI sequel. Attempts to contact American Square Enix reps for clarification and confirmation had gone unanswered as of press time.

[UPDATE] However, this morning in Tokyo, Square Enix issued a terse statement saying that it had never announced a next-gen sequel to FFXI. "The company did not make such an announcement and has not made any decisions resembling those detailed in the media report," it said.

Square Enix did assert in broken English that "it is currently developing an online [game for] next-generation platforms including game consoles and PCs." However, the company said of the game in question that "this title is being developed [as a] completely new MMORPG." The title in question appears to be the PlayStation 3 and PC Vista game producer Hiromichi Tanaka revealed in an April interview.

That said, the news wasn't all bad for FFXI fans. Square Enix did announce that it "continuously plans to release expansion packs for Final Fantasy [XI] available on PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows, as well as perform version updates."

how they can say 78,000 games is bad,even if half of these people carry on with the games,thats still 39,000 times 13 dollars better off than they were.......not bad for a 4 year old game

gld to se they still plan on releasing expansions and updates...the new update comes out next week for this one

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 07:57:10 PM »

"Are we doing the Future chicken counting event? I forgot my magical hat of fortune-telling."
I'm not trying to tell the future; I'm just  making educated guesses based on current sales and what we know now.  DQ9 is likely already in development, meaning Square Enix would have to make the same guesses as to what system will be the biggest-seller, and even with the things against Sony, I still think they're the most logical choice to win the next-gen race.  Wii is a wild-card now and putting DQ9 on it exclusively would be a gamble, something Square Enix isn't exactly known for.  I could see maybe a smaller series, but DQ is their biggest individual seller; I just can't see them risking it.

As for Final Fantasy, I was there at the beginning with the NES and FF1, and I've loved them all, 8 and X-2 included.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 08:04:28 PM »

I'm not trying to tell the future; I'm just  making educated guesses based on current sales and what we know now.

I wasn't trying to be caustic (although that line does seem that way) ... what I intended to imply by it is that the confidence that Sony will be the biggest market share is, in my humble opinion, a load of donkey balls.

They are facing challenges that are VERY reminiscent of the Xbox1 launch (tech issues, market adoption, etc) and I am wary of their little marketing dog and pony show.

...so the cow says to the pony: "Why don't you talk to me?"
and the pony replied :
Spoiler for Hiden:
"I'm a little hoarse".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I'm not trying to tell the future; I'm just  making educated guesses based on current sales and what we know now.

I wasn't trying to be caustic (although that line does seem that way) ... what I intended to imply by it is that the confidence that Sony will be the biggest market share is, in my humble opinion, a load of donkey balls.

They are facing challenges that are VERY reminiscent of the Xbox1 launch (tech issues, market adoption, etc) and I am wary of their little marketing dog and pony show.

...so the cow says to the pony: "Why don't you talk to me?"
and the pony replied :
Spoiler for Hiden:
"I'm a little hoarse".

Sony will still be number one next console season by default. No other vendor is strong enough in all three major territores to overtake Sony. MS will do well in North America but will fail miserably in Japan and have decent sales in Europe. Nintendo is strong in Japan and will have mediocre sales in Europe and decent sales in North America. Sony will most likely have decent sales in all three regions, which will allow them to barely remain in first place.  

As it stands now, the PS3 could sell only 50% of the number of units the PS2 sold and still be in first place. It would be unlikely for that kind of lead to evaporate in one console generation, even with the premium pricing.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:54 PM »

If you guys go over to gamesindustry.biz or maybe it was gamasutra, one of the heads of EA games makes a great point.

Alot of people are talking about the Wii being so different that a lot of people will buy it as their "second" console. He said that some people may have meant it as deragatory but he saw it as a great strength. Mainly because if you're everyone's second then you usually end up #1 in the hardware race. So if people are more likely to go 360 + Wii or PS3 + Wii versus PS3 + 360, and it seems like this will be the pattern for the "hardcore", that put Nintendo in a great position.

I don't think you can give Sony the next generation by Default, and again we just have to look back 10 years ago. We could've easily given Nintendo the psot SNES generation by default...

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2006, 09:31:01 PM »

As for Final Fantasy, I was there at the beginning with the NES and FF1, and I've loved them all, 8 and X-2 included.

Same here.  I'm a Square-Enix slut.   :lol:

However, that isn't enough to get me to buy a PS3.  And it's going to suck that I'm going to miss out on some solid S-E games as a result.

But the arguments that many of us are making against the statements that "Sony is going to win by default" and "S-E would never go exclusive on a different platform" are hogwash.

S-E has made the main Final Fantasy games at least time-based exclusives, and most of them have been flat-out exclusives (except for 7 and Cool until much, much later on when they were ported as "classic" titles.

S-E could go fully multi-platform, or they could switch exclusivity to another console.

Nintendo owned the market during the late SNES era, when the Saturn flopped and the Playstation was just entering the fray.  There was no reason at all initially to think that Sony would so completely overtake the console market.  None at all.

Now, we actually have a few reasons to think that Sony might just lose their envious position in distant 1st place.  For a lot of reasons, it's quite plausible that Nintendo's upcoming Wii could overtake the #1 position in the world market.

All of this means that right now, everything's up in the air.  No one can make any truly confident statements just yet other than "wow, anything could happen next".

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2006, 09:52:12 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
If you guys go over to gamesindustry.biz or maybe it was gamasutra, one of the heads of EA games makes a great point.

Alot of people are talking about the Wii being so different that a lot of people will buy it as their "second" console. He said that some people may have meant it as deragatory but he saw it as a great strength. Mainly because if you're everyone's second then you usually end up #1 in the hardware race. So if people are more likely to go 360 + Wii or PS3 + Wii versus PS3 + 360, and it seems like this will be the pattern for the "hardcore", that put Nintendo in a great position.

I don't think you can give Sony the next generation by Default, and again we just have to look back 10 years ago. We could've easily given Nintendo the psot SNES generation by default...

If you look at Nintendo's hardware sales, there's a steady decline from one generation to the next. There's never really been a precedent where a company's market share has completely dropped off a cliff in one generation. I don't see it happening in this scenario either, simply because neither Microsoft nor Nintendo is positioned to capitalize on Sony's weakness across all territories.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: