http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:56:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, why was Xbox Live down yesterday?  (Read 2415 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »

So what was the big mystery with Xbox Live's downtime (though, as of this post, the website is still down, and I can't download Lumines)?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:05:05 PM »

Maintenance. Likely also putting in upgrades for future releases. Heck, they may even be implementing a browser. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:45:18 PM »

I would guess it was probably back-end stuff that has to do with the Zune music and Live Anywhere crap, but who knows.  I just want my Fall dashboard and BC updates! 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »

Wouldn't that be sweet!  icon_biggrin
(Although Peter Moore recently stated no browser was planned in an interview - maybe that'll change after the PS3 and Wii release, both of which have web browsers)

Of course my one day off this week, tuesday, I was looking forward to getting some time with Live, but with my luck it was down the entire day, all the way over to now wednesday morning.
Of all the days they could have chosen maintenance..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 02:48:22 PM »

Of course going to xbox.com I can't login anywhere anymore. Is anyone else having this problem?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 02:53:17 PM »

Um, yes i can't even get on live on my console.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 03:19:25 PM »

Some people have downloaded Lumines, though (http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,15621.0.html), so I guess it was up, then they took it down again?  Maybe?

I agree, we probably won't see any exciting new features.  I'm sure it was just down for maintenance and getting this My Xbox or Live Anywhere stuff working.

I had some time this AM and was hoping to play Lumines.  No luck, I guess.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »

Yeah, it works now, but the website is all jacked up.  Whatever they did their links need to be fixed.  Other than that I can't tell that they did anything!  Also they need to fix live now; nothing in marketplace works!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:34:07 PM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:32:30 PM »

I have a questiona bout live:

Does your local profile have to be the same one you use for Live?

Also, DR specific, it says to have multiple saves use different profiles. But how does one do that and still have the same progress?

Lastly, with a silver account can one pretty much do everything except play multiplayer?

With a new 360 do they give you a few days of Gold for free or no?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »

With DR, I understand the easiest ways to get multiple saves for a single game is to buy the memory card.  Profiles only work to allow mutliple people to play DR on the same 360, not for a single game having multiple saves.

Silver gets you almost everything except mp- the only exceptions I can think of are sometimes MS puts up Gold exclusive videos during their Bringing it Home events (which are pretty crappy to begin with IMO). 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 06:25:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2006, 03:54:30 PM

With DR, I understand the easiest ways to get multiple saves for a single game is to buy the memory card.  Profiles only work to allow mutliple people to play DR on the same 360, not for a single game having multiple saves.

Silver gets you almost everything except mp- the only exceptions I can think of are sometimes MS puts up Gold exclusive videos during their Bringing it Home events (which are pretty crappy to begin with IMO). 

actually, I recall reading somewhere that some games do store different save games based on profiles.
Can't confirm it though. Does anyone have concrete evidence one way or the other ? (t'would be nice to know).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 06:56:37 PM »

xbox live came back up today 3 hrs late(thats when i downloaded the trial of lumnies)

but there has still been a lot of problems,xbox live keeps going down,a lot of people have been complaining and going apeshit

xbox.com forums still arent up...only a homepage(where you CAN NOT sign in)...on majornelson.com there are a lot of people complaining,and he says that they are trying to sort out all the problems

but seen as this isnt a dashboard update...i am not looking forward to november,when the real dashboard update comes

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 07:35:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 18, 2006, 06:25:30 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2006, 03:54:30 PM

actually, I recall reading somewhere that some games do store different save games based on profiles.
Can't confirm it though. Does anyone have concrete evidence one way or the other ? (t'would be nice to know).

What Kevin is saying is that when you are logged in to profile A you only have access to profile A's save, so having multiple profiles does not let you have multiple saves for the same running game on the hard drive. Profile B also gets one save (not sure about mem card saves), but it is no use to profile A.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 07:39:32 PM »

They did apply an update to World Series of Poker. That must be why it was down all day.
Impervious
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 08:55:44 PM »

Apparantly they added more parental controls. 
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1012-downtime.htm
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 10:33:59 PM »

630pm Eastern and I can't connect to live.
Anyone else having trouble?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 11:24:55 PM »

While I am able to connect to live, I seem unable to download Lumines Live for some reason.  Everything downloads fine except for that game.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 11:31:25 PM »

I'm having problems as well Misguided.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Haplo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 11:34:42 PM »

I can't connect either.  Live connection test fails at the xbox live step.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 11:40:11 PM »

Apparently you guys must all be trying to access mature material. Sorry, your parents must have locked you out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: