http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 09:53:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which PC RPG are you looking forward to this fall?
Alpha Protocol - 4 (14.3%)
Dragon Age - 15 (53.6%)
Risen - 3 (10.7%)
Torchlight - 4 (14.3%)
Borderlands - 2 (7.1%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, which fall PC RPG are you looking forward to the most?  (Read 1213 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »

personally, I'd say Alpha Protocol is going to be the main event for me, followed by Dragon Age, Borderlands and then Risen.  Torchlight could be a dark horse though...

which one do you think is going to own your world?

[edit to add Borderlands.  can't believe I forgot it]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:46:09 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »

No poll?  Your post is a failure and I can not participate.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 12, 2009, 11:51:50 PM

No poll?  Your post is a failure and I can not participate.

I figured if I did a poll and missed some games people would bitch anyways, so I took the easiest route towards the inevitable bitching  Tongue

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »

Dragon Age, closely followed by Alpha Protocol
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:25:41 AM »

Dragon Age

Byte me
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:27:14 AM »

Torchwood, because it should fun flawlessly on my PC.

Dragon Age, but it probably won't run well.

What the heck is Alpha Protocol??

Bael
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:30:21 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on September 13, 2009, 04:27:14 AM

Torchwood, because it should fun flawlessly on my PC.

are you going to play Captain Jack?  icon_wink

What the heck is Alpha Protocol??

here you go.  it's a modern spy RPG.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 04:54:50 AM »

Dang it! I knew I would say that one day! That name is too dang close to that Dr. Who spin-off...

Torch<LIGHT>

Bael
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 06:25:46 AM »

Borderlands, but I don't think it really qualifies as an RPG.

My hopes for DA aren't high and with all the movies I want that game less and less.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 06:32:56 AM »

I'm most looking forward to Torchlight, followed closely by Alpha Protocol (for the 360 though).  I'll also most likely pick up Risen in a few months (either for PC or 360, depending on how demanding the PC version is).  I have no interest in Borderlands and the only thing that interests me about Dragon Age now is mocking its increasingly embarrassing marketing campaign.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 07:05:26 AM »

Dragonage of course.... Followed by..nothing I'm afraid, except perhaps MAss Effect 2, but thats a bit later

A new one
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:10:50 AM »

Torchlight and Dragon Age. Pretty much a toss-up for those two.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:45:22 AM »

Dragon Age, every week I get a text message from my friend saying how cool it looks so I'm gonna buy it to please him.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »

Risen for sure, followed by "wait and see" on everything else.  The gameplay in Dragon Age seems like it could be fun, but everything else looks like total shite (graphics, animations, voice acting, dialogue; basically everything related to atmosphere).  Alpha Protocol seems to be flying under the collective gaming radar; I haven't seen much about it.  Same with Torchlight.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »

I think Torchlight is the best fit for me lately.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 07:50:34 PM »

Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age are tied for me.  Alpha Protocol was just that good when I played it, and Dragon Age is a return to the classic CRPG style.  The two games are equally good for different reasons.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »

Definitely Alpha Protocol. 

I'm a big Bioware fan and am cautiously looking forward to Dragon Age too.  But the Dragon Age marketing campaign has me concerned -- seems like they're working hard to paint the game as very juvenile, with buckets of blood and sex, and making it seem as edgy as possible.  We'll have to see if that's what the game is like, or if it's just marketing. 

Besides, there is no shortage of medieval fantasy RPGs.  I'm looking forward to trying something with a different background.  Modern Spy sounds potentially like a lot of fun.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on September 13, 2009, 08:57:39 PM

I'm a big Bioware fan and am cautiously looking forward to Dragon Age too.  But the Dragon Age marketing campaign has me concerned -- seems like they're working hard to paint the game as very juvenile, with buckets of blood and sex, and making it seem as edgy as possible.  We'll have to see if that's what the game is like, or if it's just marketing. 

From everyone who has played it, it sounds like a classic, epic, Bioware RPG.  It's just the marketing is so freaking terrible.  They need to fire their PR director and the marketing group they use.

I'm also very interested in Risen, but I am cautious about buying the game right out of the gates, because I'm sure it'll be a bug-ridden mess...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:26:09 AM »

On the other hand, I think the marketing is actually going to work for Dragon Age.

Look, all of us CRPG fans are going to get it eventually, be honest with yourself, taking a look at the origin story previews, you know you're going to get it, especially after every review praises how big the game is and the interesting choices and gameplay decisions you make.

Who they need to convince to buy, even if it is through "EXTREEEEEME" marketing style is the Halo and Madden crowd.  And such marketing schemes have worked for that crowd before.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 14, 2009, 01:26:09 AM

Look, all of us CRPG fans are going to get it eventually, be honest with yourself, taking a look at the origin story previews, you know you're going to get it, especially after every review praises how big the game is and the interesting choices and gameplay decisions you make.

Who they need to convince to buy, even if it is through "EXTREEEEEME" marketing style is the Halo and Madden crowd.  And such marketing schemes have worked for that crowd before.
Oh sure, I'm definitely going to get Dragon Age eventually.  For me the decision isn't whether I'm going to get Alpha Protocol or Dragon Age, it's which one am I going to get first.  They're released close enough together that I might not get the second one until it's been price cut, depending on how lengthy Alpha Protocol is, what else is released in the time period, and how well Alpha Protocol fulfills my RPG desires for the month/quarter/year.

You might be right about the marketing.  Unfortunately though, if the marketing works, the games will shift in that direction, not just with the marketing but with what they're really like.  Consider Prince of Persia: Warrior Within for example.  They tried to go all edgy with it, AIUI it didn't sell all that well, so they returned to a more traditional Prince.  If it had done well, I'm sure we'd be seeing only annoying edgy, goth Prince of Persia's from here on out.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 02:55:54 AM »

My brain says Dragon Age, my heart says Torchwood.  icon_biggrin
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »

Definitely Dragon Age.  Alpha Protocol looks interesting, but I'm not convinced they'll be able to deliver on their promises.  Borderlands is also getting bought, but I have a hard time convincing myself that it's an RPG.  More like a shooter with a good quest and loot system. 

Torchlight sounds interesting, but I've never had any luck getting into a Diablo-style RPG.  I need more plot than they tend to give, and "getting phat lewt so I can look awesomer while I kill more hordes of guys to get phatter lewt" doesn't work as a plot for me.  I haven't heard anything about Risen.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »

I answered: Alpha Protocol, since it looks interesting and different from the usual RPG fare.  Torchlight also looks fun.

I was highly interested in Dragon Age, but (aside from the juvenile marketing campaign) so far the bland graphics and horrible voice acting evident in the trailers have knocked this one down my list.  Also, I am irritated by the differing in-game bonuses depending on where you pre-order from.  I want to buy the game where I want to buy it--I don't want to decide based on in-game content.  I will probably just wait until all the items are patched in later on, if the game turns out to be worth it.  I generally dislike in-game content used as bribes to pre-order, so pushing that to the next level and offering different content at different stores puts me off even more.  I want to buy the whole game with all the content, thanks.

I'm keeping an eye on Borderlands.  I like what I've seen so far.

Based on their past games, Risen seems the very definition of "wait for the patches."

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: