http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:39:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so where is 'the next lara croft'?...  (Read 1139 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2005, 05:48:36 PM »

tomb raider came out in november of 96. since then, there's been a pile of series featuring a male hero (dante, ratchet, jak, joe, etc), but, aside from a couple of resident evil reappearances (jill & claire), & bloodrayne(?!), i can't think of any action/adventure series featuring a heroine (games like primal & beyond good & evil looked promising, but don't seem to be going anywhere)...

personally, i think this's kinda disappointing. i've enjoyed the games i've played featuring female leads, & i thought tr established the fact that a strong heroine -based series could be profitable. it just seems like a step backwards as far as opening gaming up to a wider audience, & i'm not sure why somebody hasn't capitalized on the opportunity...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 06:45:09 PM »

Isn't the Metroid person a female?

And my wife loved Jade in Beyond Good & Evil.  I'd kill for a sequel.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 06:52:46 PM »

I'd kill for a sequel.

Me too, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.  frown  

I think the primary issue here is that they usually try to make the girls into "Oh, look - I'm a model as WELL as a superhero" instead of "I'm a normal girl" type thing.  The girls are turned off by the exaggerated 'features' of the character and the guys grow bored with playing a giant boob after a while. (note I said 'playing a boob' not 'playing WITH a boob')

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 07:38:04 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I think the primary issue here is that they usually try to make the girls into "Oh, look - I'm a model as WELL as a superhero" instead of "I'm a normal girl" type thing.  The girls are turned off by the exaggerated 'features' of the character

In the January OPM, Zoe Flower's article "Getting the Girl" suggests that this isn't necessarily always true.  Did anyone else see it?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 07:49:12 PM »

Do we really need another Lara? Seriously...I am of the opinion that a decently customizeable, or a choice of avatars is nice.  Make them my presence in the game.  Of course, that doesn't always work.  If Jade had been a generic character, Beyond Good and Evil wouldn't have been as much fun as it was.  *sigh*  I guess over the top isn't nessecary, just representative.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 10:57:13 PM »

Do we really need another Lara? Seriously...

well, strictly speaking, no smile ...

but a unique, interesting heroine can add as much distinct flavor, both melodramaticly & comedically, to a series (as mentioned above) as any sarcastic, sullen, badass (sound familiar?) male hero, as the number of 'secondary female leads you get to play as' appearing in many recent games (ada wong being the latest) demonstrates...

i just think, if done right, it could be very successful - & i'm just surprised it hasn't been...

(props to warning for reminding me of samus)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 04:53:26 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Isn't the Metroid person a female?

And my wife loved Jade in Beyond Good & Evil.  I'd kill for a sequel.

Yes she is.  Samus Aran.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 05:26:21 PM »

I've never played a Metroid game.  I probably should huh?  Should I start wiht Metroid Prime?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 05:38:55 PM »

Metroid Prime is a good place to start.  The two GBA games (Fusion and Zero Mission) are both excellent as well.  Since Zero Mission is technically a remake of the very first game, it would probably be the most appropriate starting place (although they're pretty loosely connected in terms of story or lack thereof).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: