http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:28:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So where do you stand right now?  (Read 4828 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2005, 05:30:10 AM »

I am all about the Xbox 360 right now.  PS3 really has done nothing for me.  I am a habitual Nintendo user though, so I am waiting to see what Nintendo has to say about this all!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 05:32:23 AM »

PS3 all the way.  It will have my RPG's, SRPG's and all sorts of kooky games that will never see the light of day on XBOX 360.  If I want to play KOTOR 3 then I'll fire up my computer.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 05:36:24 AM »

I think it will be very, very, very interesting to see how Nintendo counters all of this tomorrow morning. Remember - their meeting is at 9am tomorrow morning.

We'll see what happens.

But between the two consoles - I'm honestly more impressed with the Xbox 360 right now. The PS3 is nice, but, I'm sorry, that controller I really hate. And Oblivion will only be on the PC and Xbox 360. biggrin

At this point in the gaming generation, it'll be all about the games, not the graphics behind them. The two consoles will look too much alike now to compare them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 05:36:25 AM »

Probably Xbox 360...although I will probably buy them all.  I was honestly not impressed by either Sony or Microsoft's conferences.  One looked forward too much (Sony)...one didn't show enough (Microsoft).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 05:54:48 AM »

I'm impressed with both so far, and I'll actually be getting the Nintendo system this time around, simply for the games and the fact that my little sister needs games that she can play at her age (plus Nintendo seems to be getting more mature titles, as RE4 showed).

Much to the chagrin of my bank account, I'll be getting all three eventually.

However, my first purchase is a toss up between XB360 or PS3.  Most likely it'll be the PS3 simply because many of the better Xbox games tend to come out on the PC anyway (and I'll have my PC upgraded by then).

Xbox 1 was better for multiplayer gaming this time, but the PS3 now has capability for 7 wireless controllers, although I don't know what it's online capability will be, hopefully it'll rival Live.  The big reason why the PS2 never got play time at my house was that I had my single player games on the PC, and the multiplayer couch games on the Xbox.

This'll give the Xbox time to bring out its more original titles, though.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 05:59:07 AM »

I'll eventually have them all.  I'm most excited about the PS3 but that's because I already prefer PS2 franchises to Xbox franchises and those franchises look to be carrying over to next gen.  I prefer the PS3 design to the 360 design but far prefer the 360's controller.  

I'm most impressed by Sony's showing, primarily because they showed far more than I expected.  I didn't necessarily expect final hardware design nor nearly as much game footage as we got.  I'm disappointed that we didn't get more PS2 and PSP info but that's mitigated by the fact that I already have an excellent idea of what's coming for PS2.  PSP not so much but I expect the floor show this year to be devoted to those areas.  

360 doesn't have a lot of appeal to me at launch.  Right now I'd say that Ghost Recon 3 and Oblivion have the biggest chance of selling me on a 360 at launch.  If you asked me this time last week, Perfect Dark Zero would have been included on that list.  Its almost complete absence tonight along with lackluster showing on MTV indicates to me that the title is in serious trouble and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if its delayed.  

Gears of Wars is very impressive but mainly on a technical level.  I have limited faith in Epic to design a compelling single player experience (how long has it even been since they've had their hand in that arena?).  The world design looks pretty generic and after seeing the Unreal Engine 3 demo on PS3 I have no doubt we will be getting lots of UE3 goodness on both 360 and PS3.  Looks to be the engine of choice for both consoles next gen.  I look forward to impressions though once it gets closer to release, although evidently this title won't be out until summer next year so it won't be a launch title anyway.

I'll also say that the 360's "customize your experience" philosophy just isn't for me.  I don't want to make my game unique; I don't care about multiplayer; building a community; etc.  I want the experience that the game designer intended for me and that seems to be counter to MS's philosoply next generation.  Xbox seems to be heavily oriented toward multiplayer next generation and that is not something I am interested in.  

Can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for us tomorrow morning!
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 06:01:03 AM »

So far Microsoft and Sony have left me unenthused. I'm kindof interested in the PS3, but the 360 really doesn't have any mindshare at this point.

Waiting for Nintendo to blow my mind.

I'm sure I'll end up getting all three, as usual. Right now the Revolution is the only thing I'm really interested in, though.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 06:12:16 AM »

Just from what I currently know about all three...

I will own them all the day they are released.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 06:18:15 AM »

I'm very impressed with the PS3's projected launch games.  XBox 360's don't really interest me at this point (except for Oblivion, if it runs well and has more engaging combat than Morrowind).

Nintendo's a wildcard at this point as far as I'm concerned.  I'm hoping for the best but expecting the (gimmick-ridden) worst.

I really think it's too early to tell.  Sony seems to want to launch the PS3 with all pistons pumping, as it were, but that's never happened in this industry, so I don't really expect it to this time.  Microsoft is being more realistic about their system and its games, which is refreshing as a consumer, but it's still, well, not that impressive.

I imagine an XBox 360 will end up on my Christmas list, (assuming Oblivion doesn't suck, and there are more RPGs in the pipeline for the system, and/or backwards compatibility is in), but unless it really blows me away around launch, I'll let someone else pay the sticker price for it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 06:38:08 AM »

Now that backwards compatibility seems to be confirmed, I'm thinking XBox 360 all the way.  PS3 is just too far away and despite their claims most of the tech analysis I've seen so far has said the two systems will be relatively equal in terms of power.  I expect much better 3rd Party support out of Japan this time for MS as well.  So, why would you wait?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »

XBOX 360 all the way!

Oblivion at launch!

wOOt!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 08:22:33 AM »

Sarkus, you do have a point there.

I don't have any brand loyalty, it's all about the games for me.  But if the Xbox 360 is coming out that much earlier, I don't see a reason not to get it since it's already on my list.  By the time the PS2 comes out I'll have saved enough for that too (and my nice tax return has helped in that regard).

Oblivion would be better on my PC, but there's still plenty of release titles for the 360 that I'm looking forward to.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 10:46:13 AM »

Neither. Both have left me cold.

After this:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-05-17-revolution_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

I am very interested in hearing what nintendo has to offer.

O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 10:58:14 AM »

I'll probably be getting PS3. In general I like the PS2 games better (mostly Japanese games of one sort or another) and probably with minor exceptions they won't be coming out for the XBox. Furthermore, most good games for XBox come out for the PC, and I'm still a PC player at heart, so (hopefully) I won't be missing out on any of the major games. So yeah, PS3 for me!

My smile still stays on.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 11:27:27 AM »

I'll probably pick up an Xbox this fall.  The first Xbox.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 12:10:24 PM »

IN for all 3 (shocking!)

MS, Sony, Nintendo in that order. Could be released in that order too!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 12:14:15 PM »

me? - i'm roaring thru the original tomb raider on my new toy, a used ($340/ebay) dell c600 laptop (circa 2001) that's the equal of my last pc before going mac, meaning i've now got a mountain of oldies (dungeon keeper!!!) i can now replay, meaning i can happily pass on all the next-gen hype for now, continue to look forward to the few up-coming current gen titles i'm interested in, & just have some fun for a bit...

not that i wasn't already pretty unexcited anyway...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 12:37:41 PM »

XBOX 360 will be a day one purchase, the others are a maybe.  I used to have XB, PS2 and GC, now I have XB and GC, and only play the XB.  The PS2 collected dust for over a year before I gave it away.  The GC I have for a small amount of exclusives.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 12:54:04 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Now that backwards compatibility seems to be confirmed, I'm thinking XBox 360 all the way.

Didn't they say backwards compatibility would only be for their "top titles" that they determine, and not the entire Xbox 1 library?
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 01:14:19 PM »

500 for a XBox 360....No Way....why do I want a PC that plugs into my TV, when I have a PC.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
I am all about the Xbox 360 right now.  PS3 really has done nothing for me.  I am a habitual Nintendo user though, so I am waiting to see what Nintendo has to say about this all!

This is basically how I feel too.

I'm a pure nintendo guy.  I will buy whatever nintendo comes out for their next generation.  I love playing the new marios, zeldas, and original games like animal crossing.  I have never owned or played an xbox or ps2.  But the new Xbox looks pretty darn good.  I'm interested.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 01:34:48 PM »

After watching the Sony video, I'm looking forward tothe PS3 more than the X-Box 360. Even games I don't care about (like Gundam) looked pretty damn cool. Of the announced titles for the next  X-Box, nothing really excites me.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 01:42:34 PM »

PS3 far more than 360 for me. Why? The games. I've said it before and I'll repeat - I never buy a console in the first year of its release. Never have, and I plan to keep it that way. Then I might go PS3 first because there is jack-all Microsoft has shown me that I'm impressed with, and that includes Oblivion. Why? Because the mods are what kept Morrowind alive and how the hell are the fans supposed to mod anything on that legally? I'm waiting for the PC version.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 02:04:41 PM »

Based on my current libraries for the xbox and ps2, I'm expecting to get the 360 first and MAYBE the PS3 if they continue to hold GTA hostage.

If it turns otu all the cross-platform racing games kick ass on the PS3 (or PS3 gets some exclusive racing games other than GT) and they have an on-line service competitive with Live I'll happily switch. It's all about the racing games.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 02:19:22 PM »

Xbox 360 will be a must-buy, particularly if it's backwards compatible.  I'll probably get the PS3 eventually, but Sony is going to have to impress me more than they currently have.  As I don't have any particular love for GTA, Gran Turismo, or Japanese RPGs, there's not a whole lot going for it at this point - at least as far as I am concerned.  And that applies for Nintendo even moreso - they will have to have a truly killer app for me to consider buying it.  At least until it hits the $99 price point.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 03:01:12 PM »

Most likely I'll end up with all three at the end of the day. I'm a but underwhelmed by the presentations from both Sony and Microsoft, so I'm going to have to see a bit more from all of them.

But, as I said, most likely I'll simply end up buying all (two or)three.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 03:08:23 PM »

After hearing the Nintendo Revolution will let you download and play nearly every Nintendo title ever, "from Donkey Kong to Mario Sunshine," they now almost certainly will get my money, especially if their price point is significantly less than the 360 and PS3, which seems likely to me.

Microsoft and Sony will have to fight it out to see who's my day 1 purchase, and who I wait for a pricedrop for.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »

Xbox 360 only for me.  Who said it's going to be $500?  If it's $500 there is no way in hell I am going to get it.  I don't think that is the case though…

Wake up.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 03:31:22 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
After hearing the Nintendo Revolution will let you download and play nearly every Nintendo title ever, "from Donkey Kong to Mario Sunshine," they now almost certainly will get my money, especially if their price point is significantly less than the 360 and PS3, which seems likely to me.

I highly doubt they will give the games out for free.  They charge $14.99 for a single classic NES game that is playable on the Gameboy.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 03:36:53 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
500 for a XBox 360....No Way....why do I want a PC that plugs into my TV, when I have a PC.

I'm hoping we'll see more of a convergence between consoles and PCs. I use Macs for most of my computer stuff, then a PC for games. My lone console is a new PSP. I have no interest in plugging a console into the tv. But if they, say, came out with a keyboard for PS3 or XBOX and I could plug in my Nostromo n52 (or something similar) so we could play MMO games, etc, then I could easily see my next "PC" being a console.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 03:40:15 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Quote from: "GGMark"

I'm hoping we'll see more of a convergence between consoles and PCs. I use Macs for most of my computer stuff, then a PC for games. My lone console is a new PSP. I have no interest in plugging a console into the tv. But if they, say, came out with a keyboard for PS3 or XBOX and I could plug in my Nostromo n52 (or something similar) so we could play MMO games, etc, then I could easily see my next "PC" being a console.

Any USB keyboards and mouse should work with both 360 and PS3.  Whether they are supported in games is still in question.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 04:14:43 PM »

I'm more excited about the PS3 than the XBox360. Why? Because, as someone posted above--it's all about the games. I've always preferred the Playstation franchises over the Xbox ones. I know I'm going to have helluva fun with Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4 and the like. With the Xbox, hearing titles like Quake 4, Splinter Cell (I've never play any of the Splinter Cell games) and the others just don't get me that excited; Oblivion will very likely be released on the PC 6 months or so after the Xbox 360. (What bothers me most about Xbox is it's lack of exclusivity. Pretty much everything that's out on the Xbox hits the PC or another console eventually... not so with many PS2 games)

All of that having been said, I'll very likely end up owning all three consoles eventually. What can I say? Disposable income and all that jazz.  smile
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 04:29:05 PM »

Not really sure.

I'm definately waiting to see how the systems and games turn out.

I like my Xbox and like the specs on the 360 but want to wait and see the games and more footage. I dont buy when they first come out but maybe pulled in if a price drop occurs when the PS3 or N Revolution are released.

I've never had a ps2 but I like the library of games it has to offer.

I also like Nintendo games (Have a SNES and GBA). The ability to play Gamecube games is nice and its game library would have more games that I could play with my son.

I dont have a HD TV so all the games are going to look fine to me since I'm already content with current game graphics.

Main thing that will sway me is games. I have a huge xbox and pc backlog to burn through while I wait and watch.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 04:36:46 PM »

People should go back and look at those original PS2 demos.  

Hint- they aren't as impressive as you remember and almost all of them have been surpsassed on the PS2.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 04:47:42 PM »

I don't see myself paying more than $400 for a console.  If that means I'm waiting for price drops, so be it.  There are enough current gen titles coming out  that interest me (plus my backlog) to tide me over until then.  I'm sure eventually I'll pick up all three again.

I'm also going to have a real problem supporting consoles that think $70 is a good price point for games.  With Fry's and patience, I might be able to overlook that.

I do find it interesting that some of the same people on the Internet (note I'm not specifically talking about here) that hyped the Xbox because it was the most powerful and had the best feature set, are now saying, "it's all about the games, power won't make that much of a difference in this next generation," in their support of the Xbox 360.  Right.

Live is pretty cool, but let's face it neither Sony nor Nintendo had much of an online plan for the current generation.  That will change with the future generation.  I don't think we're really in a good position to judge the various online plans yet.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the PS3 based on a potential PS2 like game library plus having the most power.  I'm not sold on the boomerang controller, but I'll reserve judgment until I feel one in my sweaty little palms.

The 360 would be a close second because of the proven online track record and their newly shown commitment to procuring quality exclusives.  Coming out first doesn't hurt either.  They mentioned it was wireless internet ready.  If it's wireless out of the box to match Sony (and perhaps Nintendo), it will be that much more tempting.

I have high hopes for the Revolution, but my fear of ending up in a gaming wasteland with a few brilliant gems and large stretches of nothingness holds me back.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 05:11:01 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
People should go back and look at those original PS2 demos.  

Hint- they aren't as impressive as you remember and almost all of them have been surpsassed on the PS2.

Exactly. No console debuts with the best it has to offer. God of War just came out and who knew the PS2 could do any of that? If the demos we're seeing now look that good in the final game, then I want to fast forward three years in the future to see what time has allowed developers to pull out of the hardware. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2005, 05:29:10 PM »

I still haven't heard the information that will push me one way or the other - media center integration.

I love to watch stuff from my PC on my TV.  Currently I do that through the Xbox so it gets more time.  However if the PS3 will do that I may lean towards it.

I need to hear more about their other features besides games before I can really pick one or the other.

Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2005, 08:08:43 PM »

I'll get all three eventually, but the PS3 will be first.  I would imagine I will get the Revolution next and then the XBOX 360 last.  Microsoft hasn't shown me anything to get me all excited, yet.  I don't like the fact that it doesn't work with all of the older XBOX games, I haven't forgotten about all of the DVD drive problems I've had with both of the XBOXs I've owned, I really don't give a shit about Halo 3, and I have a PC to run Oblivion.  As for the Revolution, my daughters and I are all big Nintendo fans so it's pretty much a no brainer.

glyc
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2005, 08:12:49 PM »

After seeing the Nintendo info, I still say Xbox for me.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2005, 09:33:40 PM »

Xbox360 all the way. I`ll grab it first and MAYBE another one down the road. Xbox Live! is the best reason to buy one for me. I can`t get enough forza right now!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: