http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, uh, how bout the PSP?  (Read 426 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »

Is it just me or has there been zero annoucments or news of note about the PSP so far? I was thinking after March's bumper crop of good game, that E3 might build on that momentum and we'd see the PSP start to live up to its potential as a gaming machine.

Other than the MGS game, I can't think of any new titles that were announced. I did hear about new sequels for Coded Arms and Death Jr, but that news isn't going to set the world on fire.

Good thing I use the PSP's media features, otherwise I'm not seeing much in the way of games in the PSP's future.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:54:40 PM »

Well, yeah, it is flying under the radar with all the crazy new BIG announcements...but the future is still bright.

The PSOne emulation is going to be wonderful.

Every Extend Extra
Lumines 2
Monster Hunter Freedom looks hawt
Power Stone Collection
Killzone: Liberation looks like a nice throwback to old-school gaming (with co-op play!)
LocoRoco WILL rock
Field Commander <3
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (VP port)

So it makes me happy.  Granted, just the announcement of MPO is enough to excite me, but there are quite a few really cool games coming down the line, albeit a little under the radar.

Just reading through your post, yeah, I really can't think of any announcements, other than MPO, made at E3 either.  All the games above were givens coming into E3...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 11:02:41 PM »

Forgot Tekken (which supposedly is looking good) and Gitaroo-Man.  I'd be waaaaaaaay more excited for Gitaroo-Man if it wasn't a straight up port  :cry:

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 11:55:10 PM »

The new announcements were way too sparse (especially compared to the DS) but it was nice to actually see that Crisis Core actually exists and Killzone: Liberation actually looks pretty good.  

I'm not sure that I share TML's optimism re: PS1 emulation- even if the emulator works great, control are issues are likely to be rampant since even non-analog games will be missing two shoulder buttons.  

Another disappointing E3 for PSP.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:44:50 AM »

This is true, that's pretty wonky.  But I'm really looking forward to playing RPG's and some turn-based games I missed in the PSOne era, so I haven't even really thought about that...that is a little disheartening.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 01:17:27 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
This is true, that's pretty wonky.  But I'm really looking forward to playing RPG's and some turn-based games I missed in the PSOne era, so I haven't even really thought about that...that is a little disheartening.

Another issue about RPGs- many of them are multi disk affairs that will probably take up an entire memory card or more.  Hopefully Sony will allow some sort of game archival via a PC link so you don't have to redownload every time you change games but even then it will be a bit cumbersome.

Both the control issues and size issues would likely be alleviated if the developers actually do "official" releases and go in and use some updated compression techniques as well as change the controls around but that will cost time and money.  

Plus, my gut feeling is that many of the majors might not even be available lest they compromise a potential true port or remake down the road.  I certainly would'n't expect Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 1 & 2 to be available since that would be direct competition with the actual PSP versions of those titles.  And I would expect Square to hold back the Final Fantasy titles for eventual "official" ports those will likely see once they finish putting their prior catelog on DS and GBA.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 02:31:05 AM »

I think it's evident in these posts:

You're a realist and I'm a dreamer.  I never think this stuff through biggrin

Very valid points, Kevin.  I have no clue how Sony's gonna handle this whole thing, and I'm a tad worried after seeing how they really didn't have their shit together for this E3.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 03:16:35 AM »

Very valid points, Kevin.  I have no clue how Sony's gonna handle this whole thing, and I'm a tad worried after seeing how they really didn't have their shit together for this E3.

Eh, not trying to be a downer.  In fact, I hope it works out well.

This one isn't really on Sony though.  That they are offering up the functionality at all is pretty great IMO and pretty much all of the issues are inherent limitations in the originally developed PSP design so I don't think any form of having their shit together is going to solve it.

Plus, they can't force other publishers to make the content available.  I expect Sony will lead the way with their first party stuff but if other publishers don't want to play ball then we'll be SOL.  Nintendo will be facing similar concerns with the Wii but their first party offerings are obviously a much bigger selling point than Sony's and they won't run into the same size limitations with N64 and previous consoles.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 03:37:34 AM »

Two other things taht I haven't seen mentioned regarding PS1 games so far is price and DRM. I think prices will probably be in the $20 - $30 range and I assume there's going to be some sort of phone home DRM if Sony is truly going to allow these games to be played off a mem stick. It'll be a deal-killer for me if I have to periodically renew authorization to play games that I've already bought.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 03:43:59 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Two other things taht I haven't seen mentioned regarding PS1 games so far is price and DRM. I think prices will probably be in the $20 - $30 range and I assume there's going to be some sort of phone home DRM if Sony is truly going to allow these games to be played off a mem stick. It'll be a deal-killer for me if I have to periodically renew authorization to play games that I've already bought.

DRM is going to be sticky.  I don't mind a one time authorization as long as I can move the game from the PSP to my PC and back at will.  But how do they prevent moving it from the PSP to multiple PCs and PSPs?  I know Apple has some sort of answer to this with iTunes/iPod but I can't remember it off hand.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 04:53:46 AM »

Also that new GTA is annonced, I'd like to give that a play.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »

Field commander looks like Advanced Wars for the PSP, which isn't a bad thing.  I hope it has a bit more depth to it as I got bored with AW after a while.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »

Every Extend Extra
Lumines 2
LocoRoco WILL rock

Those are three biggies for me, especially E3 and LocoRoco. What would make me very excited about Lumines would be hearing that you could begin a game from any unlocked skin (the lack of which being what caused me to put the first down).

I was hyped for field commander at one time, but I have a DS these days and am getting my TBS fill from Advance Wars, Age of Empires, and Prince of Persia.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 03:31:52 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

Every Extend Extra
Lumines 2
LocoRoco WILL rock

Those are three biggies for me, especially E3 and LocoRoco. What would make me very excited about Lumines would be hearing that you could begin a game from any unlocked skin (the lack of which being what caused me to put the first down).

I was hyped for field commander at one time, but I have a DS these days and am getting my TBS fill from Advance Wars, Age of Empires, and Prince of Persia.

Yeah, I love Lumines, but I wish that I could just start at "Shake your Body" instead of having to get to it AND unlock skins.  Glad to hear Lumines 2 fixed this.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 03:43:27 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Yeah, I love Lumines, but I wish that I could just start at "Shake your Body" instead of having to get to it AND unlock skins.  Glad to hear Lumines 2 fixed this.

I don't know if they have or not, which was my point. If they have, it's a definite buy for me, if they haven't I may pass on it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »

How will the PSOne emulation work for any of the games that use the twin analog sticks?  I guess the PSOne didn't have those though, or maybe most games didn't use them?  I can't remember now smile.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 04:42:38 PM »

Just got back in late last night so I'm still off but as for the PSP titles there were tons of them on the floor. It actually might motivate me to pick one up to be honest. UMD's I think are on the way out but Sony's finally managed to get off their ass and support their own handheld with a ton of stuff.

Oh, and Tekken looks gorgeous. We're talking arcade quality here.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 06:33:06 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
How will the PSOne emulation work for any of the games that use the twin analog sticks?  I guess the PSOne didn't have those though, or maybe most games didn't use them?  I can't remember now smile.

I don't recall many PS1 games requiring the right analog stick.  Spyro, for example, used the shoulder buttons for camera control.

The only one I can think off the top of my head that required the right stick was Ape Escape.

As mentioned before, though, plenty used L2 and R2.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »

I love my PSP, but the upcoming lineup looks awful. Nothing there to make me consider upgrading my firmware. Not that I'm that bothered, as I already have more then enough games to play, especially with EMU's, but Sony really seems to have lost the ball.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: