http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:46:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So....these snow globes and cards and stuff. [Steam]  (Read 575 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »

Do I sell these things?  Do I keep em? Is there a point to keeping them? What do I do with this stuff as I earn it? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:39:57 PM »

You create badges with the cards. The badges let you go up in Steam level, which again allows you to eventually customize your player profile with stuff like achievement showcases (which is actually kind of cool as it shows off your 6 rarest achievements) and a whole bunch of other such additions. Creating badges can award you with other stuff too, like unique chat emoticons, a sale on a "random" game title, profile backgrounds, etc. It's mostly just a community thing, so if you don't care about that or your Steam profile, feel free to sell the cards. You can get a decent amount of money for some of them.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:51:32 PM »

Also, the snow globe cards are going to disappear at the end of the sale, so you better make a decision soon.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
storz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:06:01 PM »

The price for selling those snow globe cards have nosedived since beginning of the Winter sale (when it first started, I sold couple for $0.50 each, now you can't get any higher than $0.2 or so).  I sold every snow globe card I got so far.  With the snow globe cards are going to disappear at the end of the sale, I believe its value will drop like a rock, I probably will buy a set to craft a badge at the end of the sale, if the price for each one is no higher than 5 cents each.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:07:44 PM by storz » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:22:13 AM »

Ok.  Look out world, I'm getting that 25 cents that's coming to me!  (I sold off all my duplicates)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »

When the trading cards went live (non beta) I ended up selling most of mine and made over $20.00. Hung on to it then used it on the winter Steam sale. Netted me 4 or 5 games essentially for free. If you don't care about badges, you can accumulate some money over time.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »

If you want real money you build the badges and then wait for booster packs! Those things sell for $2-3 dollars each!
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:44:13 AM »

I've been getting between 17 and 18 cents for the ones I've been selling for the last few days. It adds up.

One trick is not to sell it based on the price it shows you in your inventory when you click "sell" on the card, as it just shows the last lowest sale value. Better to go to the Market itself, search for the card, and then see how many cards are up in the low-end prices. If there are only a few I'll usually price mine higher than the lowest two values. So you get a few cents more when you sell them.

I have yet to have a problem selling those cards within a few minutes even after putting them up on the higher prices. I look at my transition history and see quite a few are purchased in Euros or Rubles and even a few in the Brazilian dollar - I'm guessing the price of the cards show up even lower in those dollar amounts. So don't short change yourself when selling the cards with the lowest value listed.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 01:48:43 AM »

I must be a nerd, I collect them and try to get badges. Don't spend money on them, other than the money I make by selling duplicates.

I was getting booster packs almost weekly for awhile, but it' been months since I last got one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:54:45 AM by Lee » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »

you can definitely sell them pretty quick.  just sold 3 in about 2 minutes.  not at the highest price like on day one, but it's better than nothing.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 05:50:06 AM »

mine usually sell a few seconds after I put them up for sale; I just look at the lowest price and go lower, which puts it at the top of the list for everyone else.  Haven't bother with crafting a badge for quite some time, sold off most of my cards before the sale began.  apparently if you go over 200 listings in a calendar year they need more info from you, including your SSN:

You have created 154 listings this year. Before you can sell or list more than 200 items in a calendar year, we are required to collect certain information from you.    Please click here to provide the necessary information.    To find out more about this requirement, please visit the FAQ.

I figure if I go over 200 in a year I guess I'll just wait until the next one to keep selling.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2013, 05:50:06 AM

mine usually sell a few seconds after I put them up for sale; I just look at the lowest price and go lower, which puts it at the top of the list for everyone else.  Haven't bother with crafting a badge for quite some time, sold off most of my cards before the sale began.  apparently if you go over 200 listings in a calendar year they need more info from you, including your SSN:

You have created 154 listings this year. Before you can sell or list more than 200 items in a calendar year, we are required to collect certain information from you.    Please click here to provide the necessary information.    To find out more about this requirement, please visit the FAQ.

I figure if I go over 200 in a year I guess I'll just wait until the next one to keep selling.

what, are we going to need to report our steam card sales to the IRS?  yeah, the gov needs it's cut of my 16c profit. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 30, 2013, 05:24:34 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2013, 05:50:06 AM

what, are we going to need to report our steam card sales to the IRS?  yeah, the gov needs it's cut of my 16c profit. 

only if you make over $20K:

Is there a limit on the number of transactions I can participate in in the Community Market?
Currently there is no limit on the number of transactions you can participate in. However, the United States Internal Revenue Service, under Section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code, requires us to collect certain information from you if you engage in more than 200 separate sales transactions in a calendar year. In particular, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide us with your name, address and Social Security Number, and if you are not a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide evidence of your non-U.S. status on an online form we provide to you. We will be providing a link to these forms and a process by which you can provide the needed information if and as you approach the 200 sales limit. We may use a third-party to collect this information. You can choose not to provide this information if you wish, but you will not be able to list any items for sale in the Community Market once you meet the 200 sales threshold, and any items listed will be removed. Note that, while we are required to collect this information from you, we are not required to share this information with the IRS under Section 6050W unless you exceed $20,000 in gross sales in the Community Market within a single calendar year. For purposes of calculating the number of sales you have made in a calendar year, all of your accounts will be treated as a single account.

Will you be providing 1099ís based on my transactions in the Community Market?
The United States Internal Revenue Service requires us to report gross sales for, and provide IRS Form 1099ís to, only those subscribers who are U.S. citizens or residents and who exceed 200 sales transactions in a calendar year and also exceed $20,000 in gross sales proceeds from those sales transactions in that same calendar year, from all of that subscriber's accounts. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and exceed both of these thresholds, we will report the amount of gross sales to the IRS and provide you with Form 1099.

Do I have to pay income taxes on the proceeds of sales I make in the Community Market?
Different countries have different rules relating to the taxation of digital transaction. For U.S. citizens and residents, as discussed above, we are obligated to collect certain taxpayer identifying information from those who engage in more than 200 transactions in a calendar year, but no information is reported to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service unless your gross revenues from such sales exceed $20,000. Ultimately, the responsibility for determining any income tax liabilities, if any, which you may have rests with you, and so if you are concerned about the issue you should consult your own tax advisor.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »

Quote from: storz on December 29, 2013, 11:06:01 PM

The price for selling those snow globe cards have nosedived since beginning of the Winter sale (when it first started, I sold couple for $0.50 each, now you can't get any higher than $0.2 or so).  I sold every snow globe card I got so far.  With the snow globe cards are going to disappear at the end of the sale, I believe its value will drop like a rock, I probably will buy a set to craft a badge at the end of the sale, if the price for each one is no higher than 5 cents each.  

Alternatively the value could spike as people try to buy up the cards they need to complete their badges before they all expire.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 05:15:12 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 30, 2013, 01:48:43 AM

I must be a nerd, I collect them and try to get badges. Don't spend money on them, other than the money I make by selling duplicates.

I was getting booster packs almost weekly for awhile, but it' been months since I last got one.

I'm level 18 and had not received a booster pack in months, until two days ago when I got one. I would really love to know what the base drop rate is on them. I know that they are randomly given out whenever someone crafts a badge, or so their FAQ says. It also says that for every ten levels you get a 20% bump in your chance for getting one.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 30, 2013, 09:29:02 PM

Quote from: storz on December 29, 2013, 11:06:01 PM

Alternatively the value could spike as people try to buy up the cards they need to complete their badges before they all expire.

The market is flooded with them I don't think they'll go up. They'll actually probably be cheaper on the last day as I suspect there are quite a few people holding out on purchases till then to see if the games they want go on deeper discount. More purchases mean more cards on the market.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 08:33:26 PM »

Are booster packs completely random?   As in when you get them?   I don't think I've ever gotten one.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 31, 2013, 08:33:26 PM

Are booster packs completely random?   As in when you get them?   I don't think I've ever gotten one.

They're random based on an event.  To be eligible you have to first play the game enough to unlock all of the normal free cards and also keep logging into Steam once a week.  Then, whenever somebody crafts a badge for that game everybody eligible has a chance to get a booster pack, or after a certain number of badges are crafted.  Your Steam level affects your chances, as mentioned above.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:03:30 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »

last day for them and the prices are fairly stable at 16c USD.  I guess part of that is the insane prices some of the higher-tiered crafted items are going for.  I checked the DOTA Rare item and some of those have sold for $120+.  insane if you ask me but it explains why so many people (and shill accounts) are farming cards and badges.  I'd be very interested in seeing how many accounts were active without any paid games attached to them. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »

Ive got four of them. Can we trade them? If anyone wants mine, speak up. I also have a DOTA common item crafted.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: