http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 11:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So... should I give Thief a second chance?  (Read 2919 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 05:49:55 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 18, 2009, 05:44:28 AM

I never played Quake 2  eek.

Dude!  I bought four PC games one Christmas: Quake 2, Half-Life, Jedi Knight and (of course) Thief.  I must've played through Quake 2 three different times including finishing it on the hardest difficulty level.  I loved that game.

But I'm guessing it doesn't hold up too well anymore.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 05:51:13 AM »

If you'd like some killer textures for Thief 2, Thief 3, or Deus Ex then use John P's stuff

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 18, 2009, 05:49:55 AM

Quote from: cheeba on November 18, 2009, 05:44:28 AM

I never played Quake 2  eek.

Dude!  I bought four PC games one Christmas: Quake 2, Half-Life, Jedi Knight and (of course) Thief.  I must've played through Quake 2 three different times including finishing it on the hardest difficulty level.  I loved that game.

But I'm guessing it doesn't hold up too well anymore.
Quake 2 holds up just fine. I ran throught it a couple years ago on an XP rig, no problems. Really enjoyed it.
The "Thief"s hold up better though. smile

(unless we're talking graphics here, in which case both fail)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 06:52:01 PM »

Not to continue the derail of this thread - I'd really like to play Quake 2 again, but I've misplaced my disks. I've read that a split-screen co-op version of it was included with Quake 4 360.
Does anyone here know if that's correct?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2009, 07:03:18 PM »

OK, now to help get this thread back on track. slywink  I found the textures update info for Thief 1 and Thief Gold. The creator is actually called -of all things- oRGy. I remember there was a trick to it and there is - you apply the texture pack 1st and then run a 2nd fan made updater called the Darkloader. There's additional info in the technical FAQ at the Through the Looking Glass (ttlg.com) website.

oRGy's texture pack
Darkloader
ttlg.com FAQ
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 18, 2009, 06:52:01 PM

Not to continue the derail of this thread - I'd really like to play Quake 2 again, but I've misplaced my disks. I've read that a split-screen co-op version of it was included with Quake 4 360.

Yes, that's true. A couple of years ago there was also a PC mod to enable coop. But to be honest, it's not much fun. If you die, you warp back to the beginning of the level, and the item pick-ups haven't doubled or anything. Also, on xbox the interface was clunky and the split-screen quite small.

You're really better of playing Halo coop, it's build for coop, unlike quake.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on November 19, 2009, 05:07:01 PM

Quote from: kronovan on November 18, 2009, 06:52:01 PM

Yes, that's true. A couple of years ago there was also a PC mod to enable coop. But to be honest, it's not much fun. If you die, you warp back to the beginning of the level, and the item pick-ups haven't doubled or anything. Also, on xbox the interface was clunky and the split-screen quite small.

You're really better of playing Halo coop, it's build for coop, unlike quake.

Cool, many thanks for the info Rocketman. I hear you about Halo co-op - played both Halo 1 and 3 at least 3 times co-op, and I'll be adding ODST to that stat soon. slywink Bummer about the warp back to the beginning of the level when you die; it's been so long, I can't ever remember if that was the case with Quake 2's SP. I'm not too concerned about the clunkiness of it as I've played many games co-op that most people find clunky and awkward. My nephew was too young when Q2 was all the rage, so I was hoping to play through it with him.
When you say the split screen is quite small, is that because Q2 doesn't run in widescreen?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 04:27:51 AM »

You're talking Quake 2 360 right? Because co-op on PC was great fun. Played it to death wiith my friends many many times back in the day.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2009, 07:39:33 AM »

Whoever mentioned a new Thief game with the Assassin's Creed 2 engine just blew my mind.  I always thought that AC's gameplay was wasted on the whole future tech and genetic memory shtick.

A Thief game with a wide open city, open climbing, and a pure stealthy focus would be great.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 20, 2009, 07:39:33 AM

Whoever mentioned a new Thief game with the Assassin's Creed 2 engine just blew my mind.  I always thought that AC's gameplay was wasted on the whole future tech and genetic memory shtick.

A Thief game with a wide open city, open climbing, and a pure stealthy focus would be great.

Me, me, that was me!! Look at me!! ;-)

but I agree completely - that would be so damn cool! I love first person stealthers, its so much more tense than just spraying lead as we've become used to.

And to be honest, I cant recall anymore than a few that has actually taken this approach and made it work (Thief 1-3, Deus Ex)

A new one
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 20, 2009, 04:27:51 AM

You're talking Quake 2 360 right? Because co-op on PC was great fun. Played it to death wiith my friends many many times back in the day.

Actually, I meant the pc version. I played it on both, and the streamlined coop fun of Halo spoiled me I guess.
Actually, it's not bad, it's just like Doom back in the day. The levels don't change, and if you die you have to run all the way back from the start. But Quake 2 is pretty fun, just much simpler that nowadays.

As for the clunkyness on xbox, that's because you have like 10 weapons and have to switch between them one at a time. But if you can get past the interface, there sure is a lot of old school fun to be had.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »

I would be willing to be proven wrong (as I love both Thief and AC), but I have my doubts. The city sections in Thief DS were my least favorite parts of the game. Plus, I like the focused, mission levels that make up a Thief game better than one huge sprawling city. But maybe I'm just biased because the city sections were so poorly done, and repetitive in Thief DS.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 20, 2009, 01:14:32 PM

I would be willing to be proven wrong (as I love both Thief and AC), but I have my doubts. The city sections in Thief DS were my least favorite parts of the game. Plus, I like the focused, mission levels that make up a Thief game better than one huge sprawling city. But maybe I'm just biased because the city sections were so poorly done, and repetitive in Thief DS.

I agree.  Not every game needs to succumb to the "open world" design philosophy, and I think the structured levels in the Thief games are a far better option.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2009, 03:18:58 PM »

I actually really enjoyed the city stuff in Thief 3.  But I thought they hit pretty much the proper balance of city exploration (relatively minimal) with fully designed levels (most of the game).  It was just enough to give a context to where everything was happening. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on November 20, 2009, 11:12:48 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on November 20, 2009, 04:27:51 AM

Actually, I meant the pc version. I played it on both, and the streamlined coop fun of Halo spoiled me I guess.
Actually, it's not bad, it's just like Doom back in the day. The levels don't change, and if you die you have to run all the way back from the start. But Quake 2 is pretty fun, just much simpler that nowadays.

As for the clunkyness on xbox, that's because you have like 10 weapons and have to switch between them one at a time. But if you can get past the interface, there sure is a lot of old school fun to be had.

I put in lots of time playing the PC version co-op in the late 90's at LAN parties - many hours of fun. smile I'm just looking to relive some nostalgia and let my nephew have the experience of playing it,  so I think we could handle some weap jugglng. I've heard so many mixed things about Quake4 360, that I doubt I'd even bother with it. Besides, even my long-in-the-tooth PC is more than capable of running it with all the bells -n- whistles.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2011, 04:09:23 AM »

Well, I finally went ahead and gave this game a (serious) second chance. Forced my way through Bonehoard.

And oh boy was it worth it. This *is* an awesome game. There are several levels that I hated - like the level where you searched for that Cathedral, and that level where you go to the Lost City to get that talisman. Those levels sucked.

But the others... are awesome. The level where two assassins botches the assassination and you tail them to Ramirez's mansion. The one where you infiltrate not one, but two thief guild hideouts. The one at the opera house was awesome, too. Oh man, and that mage towers level!

I even liked a part of the last level - I hate when games have respawning enemies, but this is the exception. The concept of monsters parading along the walkway towards a portal while you sneak off the side is neat. I wish they stretched this part a bit more, and have more monsters streaming along. I know there's technical limitations, this being a 12-year-old game after all. The parts after the walkways, however, does kind of suck.

But the awesome levels made it worth playing. A must-play, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:11:49 AM by ravenvii » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »

Based on your post, I would strongly advise you to try Thief 2. I think you will find the missions in that are far more suited to your tastes. It's also one of the greatest games ever. A sublime experience.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »

All we are saying...

...is give Thief a chance

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »

frown
The Lost City was probably my favorite level...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »

I would wait for the inevitable "modern remake" which does away with that whole "Boring stealth stuff" and instead lets you run around blowing targets' asses off with the incredible "ButtMunch" Arrow Auto-Quiver-Rifle, and probably has zombies in it (the only politically correct enemy anymore). EA probably has Top Notch Devs working on it as we speak.  Roll Eyes

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »

Shalebridge Cradle...dear lord...that was the craziest thing ever!

oh, and BJ - You do know Thief 4 is being developed right now, by the guys who made Deus Ex: Human Revolution, right?

A new one
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 03, 2011, 08:18:22 PM

Shalebridge Cradle...dear lord...that was the craziest thing ever!

oh, and BJ - You do know Thief 4 is being developed right now, by the guys who made Deus Ex: Human Revolution, right?

Hopefully they don't add bosses to Thief 4 and outsource those to people who don't know anything about Thief series. smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »

Perhaps a mecha-hitler?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 02:15:11 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2011, 01:20:47 AM

Perhaps a mecha-hitler?

Yah, with an OODA loop.  Roll Eyes

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2011, 02:29:33 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 04, 2011, 02:15:11 AM

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2011, 01:20:47 AM

Perhaps a mecha-hitler?

Yah, with an OODA loop.  Roll Eyes

Hey, it worked for wolfenstein SCIENCE! --- and Blaskovitz was investigating old castles ... biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2011, 02:59:31 AM »

Sorry for butting in, but are you able to get thief1 or thief 2 to play on windows 7?  I tried thief 1 from gamers gate about 6 months ago and it would not run.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2011, 05:01:20 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 07, 2011, 02:59:31 AM

Sorry for butting in, but are you able to get thief1 or thief 2 to play on windows 7?  I tried thief 1 from gamers gate about 6 months ago and it would not run.

tafferpatcher for Thief 2. It's an all-in-one patch that worked wonders for me (win7 64 bit Core i7 GTX460), but it only works with Thief 2.

Thief 1 can be done via other means, but it's a more involved process.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »

Gog needs to get them.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »

Sorry for butting in, but are you able to get thief1 or thief 2 to play on windows 7?  I tried thief 1 from gamers gate about 6 months ago and it would not run.

I've never had any problems with it.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 07, 2011, 01:25:15 PM

Well, when I contacted them that it would not run, they gave me a in store credit.  So I was not out anything.   But I would like to play with my mechanical eye again.

Were you on 64 bit Gratch?    I have got a new video card since then...  hmmm
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 07, 2011, 05:03:39 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 07, 2011, 01:25:15 PM

Well, when I contacted them that it would not run, they gave me a in store credit.  So I was not out anything.   But I would like to play with my mechanical eye again.

Were you on 64 bit Gratch?    I have got a new video card since then...  hmmm

Yep

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: