http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 08:57:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So...now what?  (Read 1915 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »

I finished FF XIII last night, so now here I sit on April 11 with my two most anticipated games of the year (of the past 2-3 years, frankly) already completed in Mass Effect 2 and FF XIII.  Was flipping through my copy of Game Informer yesterday, and there's a grand total of two games mentioned that I even have the slightest interest in.   The "coming soon" section of Gamestop's website didn't bring up anything either.  Being an RPG fan (and not being a fan of FPS or action games) I look at the rest of the year and there's really nothing that stands out for me as a "must play" title.  About the only things that are even hitting my gaming radar at all are Puzzle Quest 2 and slim chance Fable III hits this year.

Not having a game to focus on is a strange feeling.  I can't really remember a time when there wasn't a game I was either currently involved in, or something just around the corner that I wanted to play.  Maybe its time to start revisiting some classics that I skipped, or just give gaming a break all together.  frown
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:11:30 PM by Gratch » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »

Maybe check out Resonance of Fate?  It seems to be overwhelmingly liked, even among people who don't normally care for Tri-Ace (which I know includes you). 

Personally, I would vote for revisiting old classics.  That's what I'm spending most of my time with at the moment. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »

What have you been playing?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »

Even though you don't like action games, maybe downloading MGS1 from PSN and giving that a playthrough might spur you into playing through the MGS series of games?  icon_wink

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »

You haven't mentioned what console we're talking about here, but I'll "+1" the RoF suggestion for something new on the PS3 if that's what you have. However, mentioning Fable III makes me assume 360. For that, how about... Deadly Premonition?  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 04:04:12 PM

Just about to finish up my 3rd or 4th replay of FF9.  I'm also nearing the end of Chrono Trigger on the DS.  Once FF9 is down I'm probably going to finish off FF13 but after that I'm contemplating returning to FF4 DS (which I was loving before I got distracted by something a couple of years ago), or maybe Chrono Cross, Valkyria Chronicles, Earthbound, Suikoden 2, Suikoden 5, Grandia or maybe replays of FFX or FF12 (the International edition which requires either the ability to run a PS2 emulator or a modded PS2).  I'd also like to finish Breath of Fire 4 and maybe finally tackle Breath of Fire 5.  

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »

360, PSP, DS, and a horribly aging PC (bought new when Oblivion came out).

I'm tempted by Resonance of Fate, but it's got some glaring red flags that keep it from being a $60 purchase.  The last couple reviews I've read have all mentioned a massive learning curve, the sometimes brutal difficulty level, and tons of grinding.  Throw in the Tri-Ace factor (the next Tri-Ace RPG I like will be the first, and I've played them all) and scenes like this (from what I understand, this level of "humor" is prevalent throughout the game), and it's enough of a turn-off to relegate RoF to bargain bin status.

Even though you don't like action games, maybe downloading MGS1 from PSN and giving that a playthrough might spur you into playing through the MGS series of games?  icon_wink

Played through the first MGS three times back in the day, but have never been able to get into any of the other games in the series.  Speaking of PSN though, I really wish Square would release either Vagrant Story, FF IX, or Chrono Cross.  Any of those three could keep me busy for a good long time.  I know I could mod my PSP, but since I use it for review games, I don't really want to mess with it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »

Yeah, Vagrant Story was another I've been thinking about.  It bugs me that I've never finished.  I love the game but I always get distracted by something else when I play it.

Gratch, did you play Persona 3 or 4. Normally I wouldn't recommend the series to you but those two games would be the exception. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 11, 2010, 04:47:33 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 04:04:12 PM

Just about to finish up my 3rd or 4th replay of FF9.  I'm also nearing the end of Chrono Trigger on the DS.  Once FF9 is down I'm probably going to finish off FF13 but after that I'm contemplating returning to FF4 DS (which I was loving before I got distracted by something a couple of years ago), or maybe Chrono Cross, Valkyria Chronicles, Earthbound, Suikoden 2, Suikoden 5, Grandia or maybe replays of FFX or FF12 (the International edition which requires either the ability to run a PS2 emulator or a modded PS2).  I'd also like to finish Breath of Fire 4 and maybe finally tackle Breath of Fire 5.  

Nice list.  smile  The Suikoden games have never grabbed me, although I've heard good things about Tierkreis...maybe I'll give that one a shot.  I grabbed a copy of Luminous Arc 2 on Friday, but was turned off enough by it to skip my "8 hour rule" and return it after just 2 hours.  I'd rather just play FFTA2 again instead of that lame knockoff. 

If I can dig up my old PS1 somewhere, maybe I'll try getting back into Chrono Cross.  Never did finish that one.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 11, 2010, 04:58:17 PM

Gratch, did you play Persona 3 or 4. Normally I wouldn't recommend the series to you but those two games would be the exception.  

I tried 3 and didn't care for it much.  The RPG parts were OK, but I hated the "manage the day-to-day activities of a high school student" bits.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 03:09:59 PM

slim chance Fable III hits this year.

it better make it out or else I'll get really really cross with you mister.

There's always Red Dead Redemption, which will be a 3rd person western, and did you get Dragon Age Awakening?  there's also Arcania and Two Worlds 2 plus this one called 'Record of Agarest War' I heard a couple of guys raving about at a local game store.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Gratch
slim chance Fable III hits this year.

I don't think it's that slim.  They announced a 2010 release, just not specifically when.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 11, 2010, 05:05:41 PM

There's always Red Dead Redemption, which will be a 3rd person western,

GTA-style "sandbox" game + Western = blech.

did you get Dragon Age Awakening? 

Sold off my copy of DA so I could buy ME2.  If I can find a copy on the cheap, I'll probably spring for both it and the Awakening DLC.

there's also Arcania and Two Worlds 2 plus this one called 'Record of Agarest War' I heard a couple of guys raving about at a local game store.

Both of these are "wait and see" titles.  Arcania and Two Worlds both have a pretty strong "we really want to be Oblivion" vibe, but could end up being decent.  Just based on the trailers, Agarest War looks far too much like this to pick up without some positive feedback.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 05:18:21 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 11, 2010, 05:05:41 PM

There's always Red Dead Redemption, which will be a 3rd person western,

GTA-style "sandbox" game + Western = blech.

...or AWESOME. Me very much wanting this.  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »

I have found myself in a gaming lull recently as well.  Hearing that Splinter Cell is only going to be about 5 hours long has killed my anticipation for it.  I've gone and restarted Dragon Age on a whim.  This time as a mage.  paranoid.

I'm enjoying it more than I did before.  The combat in the 360 version is much better when you can sit back and throw spells instead of tanking.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 06:04:26 PM »

try living on the edge and try something new - Get Mount&Blade Warband, or the older M&B and a few mods and go nuts on the poor infantry from horseback.

A new one
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »

I'm installing World of Warcraft (for probably the 20th time since it came out) again. We can level some toons  icon_cool

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 06:44:31 PM »

When I get in a rut, the best thing I've always found to do is to give something outside my usual wheelhouse a shot.  I thought for sure Heavy Rain was going to be a big steaming pile, but I gave it a shot anyway and ended up really enjoying it.  It brought back a lot of the things I liked about old school adventure gaming, despite being pretty different from those.  Consider giving a shot to something you might not otherwise be interested in, but people seem to like.  I'm having a lot of fun in Darksiders at the moment, for instance.  It's action but there's a lot of room for customization.  Just an example though, maybe you can think of something for yourself.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 07:18:06 PM »

Sold off my copy of DA so I could buy ME2.  If I can find a copy on the cheap, I'll probably spring for both it and the Awakening DLC.

Did you even start DA or not at all?

I am currently playing through it on my brand new PC (I bought DA when it came out, but stopped playing cause my PC ran it too slow), and I absolutely love it... one of the best RPGs I've played in the past few years.  Certainly way better than ME2.

*But*, this is because I have always loved the Baldur's Gates and Infinity Engine games, those are my favorite types of RPGs.  And Dragon Age is a true successor to those, at least on the PC.  They cut no corners at all in the game design and mechanics, it's actually even better than I expected.  However, I don't think I would play this on console... I think it would be a much less experience, kinda like playing an RTS on a console.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »

i am really, really anjoying resonance of fate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 11, 2010, 07:18:06 PM

Sold off my copy of DA so I could buy ME2.  If I can find a copy on the cheap, I'll probably spring for both it and the Awakening DLC.

Finished it on 360.  Would like to play it again on PC, but there's no way my ancient rig will run it.  That's the other reason I'm holding off on Awakenings, in the hopes that they do some sort of "platinum version" later on includes all the DLC.  Maybe by then I can afford a PC that will run it.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »

Dragon Age left me kind of cold when I first tried it, but when I returned a few months later and started a new game, applying the lessons I'd learned about the game mechanics before, I *loved* it! thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 07:36:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 05:00:55 PM

Nice list.  smile  The Suikoden games have never grabbed me, although I've heard good things about Tierkreis...maybe I'll give that one a shot.  I grabbed a copy of Luminous Arc 2 on Friday, but was turned off enough by it to skip my "8 hour rule" and return it after just 2 hours.  I'd rather just play FFTA2 again instead of that lame knockoff.  

Can't really recommend Tierkreisis if you didn't like any of the others.  Which Suikoden games did you try?  Series quality is highly variable.  Suikoden 2 is generally considered the best and a lot of people love Suikoden 5 almost as much.  Suikoden 1 is pretty neat but it's also kind of dated.  Reactions to Suikoden 3 are very, very mixed.  Most hate Suikoden 4.

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 04:55:19 PM

Speaking of PSN though, I really wish Square would release either Vagrant Story, FF IX, or Chrono Cross.  Any of those three could keep me busy for a good long time.  I know I could mod my PSP, but since I use it for review games, I don't really want to mess with it.

Vagrant Story is on Euro PSN.  Not sure if it's possible but you might want to check Google to see if you can just create a Euro PSN account and grab it that way.  
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »

You may want to do some research into Red Dead Redemption before you completely write it off.  From what Ive seen of it it looks fantastic.  I know everyone has different tastes and maybe the western setting isnt your cup of tea but the solo play isnt a "sandbox" thats more for the multiplayer part ( which seems to be a positive to me ) and the the rpg solo play looks to be very well developed with a lot of depth.  Also the graphics Ive seem so far look absolutely gorgeous.  Im not saying you should jump right into this but you may want to see whats up with it post release, after some of us jump into the game and get a chance to experience it,  you just might be suprised.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »

don't try smt: strange journey (it'll only eventually make you cry smile )...

i'd recommend yakuza 3 - part rpg, all fun...

edit: okay, no ps3, no y3, i guess smile - i'll go with resonance of fate... & bayonetta, if you can find it cheap, for sheer mind-fuck value alone smile ...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:12:57 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 11, 2010, 07:32:17 PM

Dragon Age left me kind of cold when I first tried it, but when I returned a few months later and started a new game, applying the lessons I'd learned about the game mechanics before, I *loved* it! thumbsup

-Autistic Angel

I'm in the same boat.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2010, 07:31:49 PM

Quote from: KePoW on April 11, 2010, 07:18:06 PM

Finished it on 360.  Would like to play it again on PC, but there's no way my ancient rig will run it.  That's the other reason I'm holding off on Awakenings, in the hopes that they do some sort of "platinum version" later on includes all the DLC.  Maybe by then I can afford a PC that will run it.

Ah okay, in that case I would definitely wait for a package version later.  Because right now, Awakening has some pretty major quest bugs in it.

And yeah, if you get the chance play it on a decent PC.  It's awesome.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »

Dragon Age is alright. The dungeons are far too long and boring and the story was written by a 5 year old. Other than that, it wasn't too bad. I still have the expansion sitting here doing nothing, but I don't fell compelled to play it. /shrug
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 08:46:44 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 11, 2010, 08:38:16 PM

Dragon Age is alright. The dungeons are far too long and boring and the story was written by a 5 year old. Other than that, it wasn't too bad. I still have the expansion sitting here doing nothing, but I don't fell compelled to play it. /shrug

Did you love the original Baldur's Gates games?  For people who don't, then they probably won't like DA too much.

For anyone who loves Baldurs Gate, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't love DA.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 11, 2010, 08:46:44 PM

For anyone who loves Baldurs Gate, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't love DA.

I always liked BG (particularly #2) despite hating the old AD&D rules, and have never finished either game. I greatly prefer DA to either since the combat while still strategic isn't bogged down by crappy pen and paper rules. I also liked them integrating gambits + MMO style combat play into the battles. Having said that, I know others who aren't as enamored with DA as I am, and wish it had been MORE like the older BG games. A friend of mine who loved BG2 and had replayed it several times, struggled to finish DA. (shrugs)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »

What does "crappy pen and paper rules" mean? that rules are annoying? or just pen & paper game rules in general? Or do you wish it was more like shooters where your skill alone, and not character skills like "in crappy rpgs", determine the outcome of combat?

A new one
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 11, 2010, 09:05:34 PM

I always liked BG (particularly #2) despite hating the old AD&D rules, and have never finished either game. I greatly prefer DA to either since the combat while still strategic isn't bogged down by crappy pen and paper rules. I also liked them integrating gambits + MMO style combat play into the battles. Having said that, I know others who aren't as enamored with DA as I am, and wish it had been MORE like the older BG games. A friend of mine who loved BG2 and had replayed it several times, struggled to finish DA. (shrugs)

Actually you bring up a good point.  I forgot that some people out there are too much of a stickler for keeping the anal D&D rules.

I loved the BGs for their environments, settings, characters, story, etc... I didn't care at all about the D&D rules, I thought that was the least important part of the games and irrelevant.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 11, 2010, 09:29:55 PM

What does "crappy pen and paper rules" mean? that rules are annoying? or just pen & paper game rules in general? Or do you wish it was more like shooters where your skill alone, and not character skills like "in crappy rpgs", determine the outcome of combat?

Don't want to speak for JCC, but in my opinion it just means that there is no point to sticking by archaic pen & paper rules for a *video game*.  It serves no purpose and does not add to a video game whatsoever.

DA's combat is much better, especially with the gambit system.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 09:39:01 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 11, 2010, 09:35:06 PM

Don't want to speak for JCC, but in my opinion it just means that there is no point to sticking by archaic pen & paper rules for a *video game*.  It serves no purpose and does not add to a video game whatsoever.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I never understood using a pen and paper system for a video game - particularly the way all the current D&D RPGs are now, where they don't even do combat in turns. I was never a huge fan of D&D anyway, because I prefer a mana system to a spell memorization system. When DA was announced I was thrilled we would get a Bioware deep RPG without being shackled to the D&D rules. I expected I would like the combat much more, and I was right. I like the D&D universe, but its rules have never been my favorite. I have still enjoyed several PC D&D RPGs, in spite of the rules.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I definitely did NOT want DA's combat to be actiony like ME2's combat. (Although ME2 was awesome, it's a different kind of RPG...)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:41:28 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 11, 2010, 09:35:06 PM

Don't want to speak for JCC, but in my opinion it just means that there is no point to sticking by archaic pen & paper rules for a *video game*.  It serves no purpose and does not add to a video game whatsoever.

DA's combat is much better, especially with the gambit system.

oh, so its the specific rules of AD&D you object to, and not the detailed rpg systems in particular? I'm guessing then, if you played it, games like MAss Effect 2 and their system are also good in your book?

As I see it, the system in baldurs gate was there for two purposes. first was to give structure to the world and the system used to make your characters, instead of having to invent one.second was of course to cater to the people who loved AD&D which was pretty big back then.

In my opinion, its easier to and better to use a tried and tested system,so that instead of the more or less untested system developers create specifically for their game, you have one that has evolved over a long period of time

edit: But I do understand the point :-)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:43:51 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »

Heh, you replied before I could edit.

No, deep RPG rules are just fine. I just never was into AD&D back in the day. I grew up on RPG systems in the original Ultimas and other CRPGs of that ilk.

And yes I loved Mass Effect 2. smile

-John

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 11, 2010, 09:41:21 PM

oh, so its the specific rules of AD&D you object to, and not the detailed rpg systems in particular? I'm guessing then, if you played it, games like MAss Effect 2 and their system are also good in your book?

As I see it, the system in baldurs gate was there for two purposes. first was to give structure to the world and the system used to make your characters, instead of having to invent one.second was of course to cater to the people who loved AD&D which was pretty big back then.

In my opinion, its easier to and better to use a tried and tested system,so that instead of the more or less untested system developers create specifically for their game, you have one that has evolved over a long period of time

Your view of using a "tried and tested system" is perfectly valid... if we're talking about creating new *PEN & PAPER* games.

But I see literallly zero relevance when it comes to applying that for video games, which is a totally different format and not even close to the same thing.  Why would anyone insist on rigidly sticking to pen & paper D&D rules for that?  I can understand using them as a very general base, but that's it.  Sticking to 100% pen & paper rules does not make for a very good video game.

I like ME2 a lot, but nowhere near as much as DA or the BGs.  But that's just because ME is obviously designed as an action-oriented shooter RPG, which I don't prefer.  (except for Fallout 3... the VATS system is much better and more fun than ME2)
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 06:25:05 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 11, 2010, 08:38:16 PM

Did you love the original Baldur's Gates games?  For people who don't, then they probably won't like DA too much.

yes, but i expect the industry to evolve 10 years late. just because this was an homage to BG doesn't mean the dungeons should be bland, the story more predictable than avatar and an inventory system written by a blind man. this is the year 2010. act like it. no company gets a free pass from me. i call shit, shit.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 12, 2010, 06:25:05 AM

yes, but i expect the industry to evolve 10 years late. just because this was an homage to BG doesn't mean the dungeons should be bland, the story more predictable than avatar and an inventory system written by a blind man. this is the year 2010. act like it. no company gets a free pass from me. i call shit, shit.

Are you this surly in real life?  You must be a cheer to be around. =P
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 10:09:20 AM »

I've edited my browser to edit his name to "Sunshine" whenever it displays :-D

A new one
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: