http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 09:36:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So...Killzone 2?  (Read 7835 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 02:50:37 AM »

Will there be a good crowd of people playing this? Looks really good and perhaps a welcome break from CoD for a while. Of course I'll have to get a headset working.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:57:07 AM »

The official bluetooth headset should be easy to get working, just plug the USB cable directly from the PS3 to the

I'll definitely be playing this online as I don't quite like how fast CoD has become lately, Killzone multiplayer seems more like a CoD2 in terms of pacing.  People still die quickly, but there's still room for tactics under fire.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:23:42 AM »

Picked me up a demo code from Gamestop tonight will check it out later.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:24:40 AM »

I really, really enjoyed the beta.  I will DEFINITELY be in when this one drops.

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 03:31:21 AM »

I'm cautiously optimistic.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:49:23 AM »

I will probably bite.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:33 AM »

I'm a completist when it comes to game series that have an overarching story, and seeing as I never got around to finishing KZ1 I won't be grabbing KZ2 unless they re-release the original to run on the PS3's w/o BC on them or I pick up a PS2 slim to play some games like Kingdom Hearts.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:09:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2009, 04:54:33 AM

I'm a completist when it comes to game series that have an overarching story, and seeing as I never got around to finishing KZ1 I won't be grabbing KZ2 unless they re-release the original to run on the PS3's w/o BC on them or I pick up a PS2 slim to play some games like Kingdom Hearts.

I have a BC PS3, and I'm having a hard time getting through it, honestly.  But I think that was true for a lot of people, as there seems to be a general buzz of disappointment. I have a hunch they'll make sure you can play K2 without ever having looked at the first one.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:56:03 AM »

Just watch all the Killzone 1 cutscenes on youtube, they're actually done quite well.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »

Is this game coming out soon?  Damn some of those original Killzone videos make the game look awesome! I thought I was watching the PS3 version at first.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »

Killzone 2 is the kind of game that just might lead me to buying a PS3.

Even though the original had mixed reaction, I always thought it was one of the better ps2 titles. It had a squad based singleplayer campaign, offline bot support in all multiplayer game types, and online multiplayer all backed up by great graphics. (For the PS2, anyway.)

I'm curious what they've done to the AI, especially with the bots, after all this time. They're one of the few companies who have more than one AI programmer and seem to take pride in delivering as much of an offline experience as the one you'll get online. (The other company being Free Radical, RIP.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »

Guerrilla Games has always had a very good art direction, it's just that there isn't much you can do if you're saddled to ancient hardware like the PS2.

It's funny though, they keep saying how Sev's face in KZ2 has more polygons in it than one of their biggest levels in KZ1.

The game is coming out February 27th, so that's less than 2 months.

However, there is some bad news though.  Currently, there is no split screen play, and there's no word of co-op in the game.  There was some rumor flying around that Guerrilla planned to release some free DLC that added in co-op missions, but that's been found as just rumor, nothing more and early reviews don't mention co-op either.

Ah, the price of being so beautiful.

However, the good news is the game does include bots that I've heard are very good to play against.  AI in single player also seems to be pretty good according to reviews.  The campaign seems to be very good, with the story taking some interesting turns and posing some serious, mature questions.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »

I have a review build but I can't talk about it until February 2nd.  They are letting us review the thing almost a month early if that is any indication of the level of polish already...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on January 07, 2009, 03:23:42 AM

Don't think that will work until Feb 5th. The game looked pretty damned amazing when I saw it both this and last September.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 07, 2009, 06:56:03 AM

Just watch all the Killzone 1 cutscenes on youtube, they're actually done quite well.

I do like the setting quite a bit.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »

Played the beta, loved the beta.  Looking forward to the retail release..

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 04:28:57 PM »

Regarding the demo:  can you only play a demo if you pre-ordered from gamestop?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 07, 2009, 04:28:57 PM

Regarding the demo:  can you only play a demo if you pre-ordered from gamestop?

In the US, yes.

Peeps across the pond will get access to the demo before retail.  I assume this equates to having a demo on the Playstation Store.  And that means, it will be easy enough for people in the US to grab the demo...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 06:01:03 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 07, 2009, 10:01:07 AM

Currently, there is no split screen play

I was about to say something along the lines of thinking the first game was fantastic and missing Killzone 2 being my biggest regret about not buying the PS3, but screw it if there's no split-screen play.  I don't give a damn how pretty the game is, I'd rather play a less attractive but immensely fun game with a friend or my girlfriend on the same console.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 06:28:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 07, 2009, 03:31:21 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic.

This is me as well.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »

I'm looking forward to this game as well.  I've heard mixed reviews on the controls. And the fact that they took the cover mechanic out of multiplayer does worry me a little bit.

Definite first day purchase for me though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:31:05 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 07, 2009, 06:01:03 PM

I was about to say something along the lines of thinking the first game was fantastic and missing Killzone 2 being my biggest regret about not buying the PS3, but screw it if there's no split-screen play.  I don't give a damn how pretty the game is, I'd rather play a less attractive but immensely fun game with a friend or my girlfriend on the same console.

While I agree about not having co-op or split screen being bad, I'm the first to lament the loss of these features lately, but what if the game is both immensely fun and pretty, but just doesn't happen to have co-op and split screen?  I also would have preferred them to reduce the visuals a bit to include split screen, however I can live with this for now, assuming it's a fun game.  No point in getting fussy about it when there's other games out there.

That said, the PS3 needs a good split screen shooter in 2009.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:37:31 PM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »

The entire idea of using the cover mechanic in multiplayer would change everything.  I guess they found that without it the MP was better...

The one thing that bugs the HELL out of me is that there won't be any kind of matchmaking for multiplayer.  I don't know if this means there's no party system, but I'm not sure you can have one without the other.

That, to me, is unbelievably stupid.

A big reason I went back to the 360 (and Halo 3 specifically) was because it's so goddamn easy to get into a party with someone and find ranked games.  As much as I enjoyed the Killzone 2 beta, the lack of a matchmaking feature could end up killing my interest...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 07, 2009, 06:35:55 PM

While I agree about not having co-op or split screen being bad, I'm the first to lament the loss of these features lately, but what if the game is both immensely fun and pretty, but just doesn't happen to have co-op and split screen?  I also would have preferred them to reduce the visuals a bit to include split screen, however I can live with this for now, assuming it's a fun game.  No point in getting fussy about it when there's other games out there.

That said, the PS3 needs a good split screen shooter in 2009.

Yeah, I think part of the reason it pisses me off is this is a sequel.  I've already played a game in this series split-screen and loved it.  I would expect more from the next game in the series, not less.  To me it's a step backward.  If I owned a PS3 I'd really be angry about it.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »

Actually, there is a party system according to what a developer said, it's similar to the party system that Resistance 2 employs, but it called Squads.  This feature was not in the beta, especially since the beta code was based on much older code.  Tisk tisk TML for forgetting it was a beta.  slywink

No word on matchmaking though, once again I think it's safe to assume that there is some kind of matchmaking that will find an appropriate server for your squad.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 07, 2009, 08:59:55 PM

Actually, there is a party system according to what a developer said, it's similar to the party system that Resistance 2 employs, but it called Squads.  This feature was not in the beta, especially since the beta code was based on much older code.  Tisk tisk TML for forgetting it was a beta.  slywink

No word on matchmaking though, once again I think it's safe to assume that there is some kind of matchmaking that will find an appropriate server for your squad.

Hmmm, if the "Squad" bit was the thing you did once you were in game to spawn right at a commander (or whatever they were called), that was in the beta, I had something else in mind.  More akin to the system in Halo where you get into a party BEFORE the game (like in Halo 3) and search for a ranked game together.

Feel free to correct me, though, as I would love to hear this sort of functionality exists!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 10:47:59 PM »

Yep, I'm talking about a party system similar to R2 and XBL where you gather together ahead of time then jump into a game.  The develop spoke of something like it added since the beta.  However he could have meant something else, but I'm pretty sure there's something like that feature.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 11:25:39 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 07, 2009, 10:47:59 PM

Yep, I'm talking about a party system similar to R2 and XBL where you gather together ahead of time then jump into a game.  The develop spoke of something like it added since the beta.  However he could have meant something else, but I'm pretty sure there's something like that feature.

Awesome!

TheMissingLink on PSN
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 01:04:20 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 07, 2009, 12:45:11 PM

Quote from: pingwrx on January 07, 2009, 03:23:42 AM

Don't think that will work until Feb 5th. The game looked pretty damned amazing when I saw it both this and last September.

Yea found that out when I entered the code. icon_mad

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 02:26:16 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 07, 2009, 11:25:39 PM

Awesome!

Hold on now, don't get too excited as there may still be an opportunity for pitchforks and torches.  While what I read in the interview seemed to indicate this, I haven't found anything that seconded that, but I haven't really been looking.

I know the back of the Killzone 2 box says something about Game Invites, so that's a good sign at least.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 07, 2009, 06:09:07 AM

I have a BC PS3, and I'm having a hard time getting through it, honestly. 

I'm actually still trying to plug through (though I'm guessing I'll do what Turtle said and watch the vids), and I have to say more than the imprecise aiming, the brown visuals, the ho-hum level design, the all-over the place difficulty...more than any of that what I hate the most about this game are the incidental voice overs.  There seem to be four things people say while in battle, "Kill him!" "Diiiiie!" "COME OOONNN" and the inexplicable "Over their heads!"  Add to that the faux Brit accents on the Hellghast troops, and it really becomes difficult to go through multiple battles in one sitting.

Quick question for those who played it, which character did you wind up using most and how often did you use them.  I'm finding the main guy, the average soldier to be a mild PITA.  The last level I played would have been better with the sniper, but I wonder if I can get through the levels faster with the tank (I've heard the last one is pretty useless).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:40:28 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 10, 2009, 03:34:35 PM

I'm actually still trying to plug through (though I'm guessing I'll do what Turtle said and watch the vids), and I have to say more than the imprecise aiming, the brown visuals, the ho-hum level design, the all-over the place difficulty...more than any of that what I hate the most about this game are the incidental voice overs.  There seem to be four things people say while in battle, "Kill him!" "Diiiiie!" "COME OOONNN" and the inexplicable "Over their heads!"  Add to that the faux Brit accents on the Hellghast troops, and it really becomes difficult to go through multiple battles in one sitting.

Quick question for those who played it, which character did you wind up using most and how often did you use them.  I'm finding the main guy, the average soldier to be a mild PITA.  The last level I played would have been better with the sniper, but I wonder if I can get through the levels faster with the tank (I've heard the last one is pretty useless).

I think I used the Helghan guy the most, occasionally used the girl and just about never used the heavy weapons guy (didn't like to be limited in where I could go). I think I pretty much stopped using the main guy once new people unlocked because I wanted to try them out and I liked the firepower of the Helghan guy. I might have used the main guy in the very last level, but I can't recall.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 10, 2009, 03:34:35 PM

I played as the sniper most of the time.

Got stuck on a level about half-way through, though :*(

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »

I pre-ordered this finally from Amazon.  I need a good, new shooter to play.  Here's to hoping it delivers!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 04:52:13 AM »

I would like to voice my displeasure with this being released on a Friday....I may have to go to BB to get this instead of through Amazon or I'll lose that weekend to play.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 02:08:29 AM »

Killzone 2 opening cinematic is up on Gametrailers.com... looks pretty freaking impressive.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 03:38:10 AM »

I just started the first game on my BC PS3. Is there any way to reduce the head bob in it that I missed? I don't normally feel bad after playing a game but this one has been rough and I'm only like 3 areas in so far. I also just finished Bioshock (360) so the graphics are taking me a bit to get used to as well. retard

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »

So do we get the review today?

I hear there is clan support. GT clan, anyone?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:48 PM »

IN for the GT clan.

Loved the demo, grabbed a pre-order, will be playing the demo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 07:56:59 AM »

Well, looks like the US review embargo ended today, although it probably still embargoes lower scores, that's a pretty good list of sites giving 90%+ scores.

The playable demo comes out on the 5th, better setup my Euro account soon so I can grab that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: