http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 07:03:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, is Soldier of Fortune Payback not worth even a discount price?  (Read 1278 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »

I see it is $19.99 at Circuit City and while this is usually the price where I will grab just about any game because you can play it, sell it, and be out usually less than an $8 rent, I am worried even that will be too much. 

I see Knightshade, nor most reviewers, didn't like it, but anyone else have an opinion.  Not sure why I am even interested other than I have never played one of these SOF games I guess.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:36:57 PM »

Knightshade didn't take that bullet... I did. Tongue 40% is a pretty fair assessment, IMHO. If you're looking to rent it, just wait for a bargain bin sale instead.

I completed it too, so I can tell you it isn't the worst game played, but it really doesn't stand up to contemporaries. Go get Rainbow 6: Vegas or either of the Ghost Recons at discount prices.

It's passable as a 5-10 dollar distraction, but with all the other shooters out there it doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. Maybe you should just try to find SOF or SOF2 on PC. Any system made in the last 5 years can run either at highest detail and not slow your background downloading. smile
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:42:55 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:59:01 PM »

Thanks.  I would say from the HUGE response to my inquiry *NOT* that it must be a stinker.  I will just wait til I do my next monthly rental thing from Blockbuster and then get it and when it sucks I can take it back the next day for something else.  At least that will satisfy my curiosity and only take up a day of my 30 day rental period.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:09:03 AM »

Had I known someone, ANYONE, was interested in it, I wouldn't have traded it in last week. frown

I would have gladly sent it to you as a trade (but it sounds like it wouldn't have been any real savings for you)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31:03 AM »

I played the PC version and was turned off by the last couple of levels where it becomes stupid hard all of a sudden, plus it has a massive cliffhanger that will probably never get answered.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »

You're referring to the hotel scene where some corners were deadly due to pointblank shotguns? I just tossed grenades. biggrin

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »

Why not? I will hit that for $20.00  icon_smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »

Did you read the review? Tongue

Wait a month and get it in a bargain bin.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 20, 2008, 02:50:24 PM

Did you read the review? Tongue

Wait a month and get it in a bargain bin.

I will most likely to get the game on either Gametz or Goozex for trade.
and don't forget that I love playing "B" (somewhat crappy) games.
I played and finished "Daikatana" and I loved it :-)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »

This is different.

Daikatana tried; it just came up short.

SoF:Payback felt like they didn't even really try. I'm dead serious about the AI problems; even on hard they aren't challenging (at least the console version).

There was way better AI in games like Kingpin which is what, a decade old?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 20, 2008, 12:18:24 PM

You're referring to the hotel scene where some corners were deadly due to pointblank shotguns? I just tossed grenades. biggrin

I mean the guy being all the way down the hall and killing you with one shot from a shotgun.  It must have had special rocket propelled pellets.  If only the shotguns you could get were so effective....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:07:14 PM »

On a side not, I got Spider-Man FoF on this same sale for $20.  I enjoyed the demo enough that I was willing to spend $20 on that game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 20, 2008, 04:03:12 PM

Quote from: Purge on February 20, 2008, 12:18:24 PM

I mean the guy being all the way down the hall and killing you with one shot from a shotgun.  It must have had special rocket propelled pellets.  If only the shotguns you could get were so effective....

Yeah; pretty much anytime you were indoors facing shotguns you died fast. It wasn't skill though, they had the madcats zomgautofire on, and would start shooting anytime you even got near the doorway.

Like I said, bouncing grenades seemed to work.

It's funny how a gun like that is more effective than an AK-47; a rifle capable of putting bullets through thin concrete.

[edit]
Quote from: Wiki AK47 vs. M-16
The AK-47 was designed to use the 7.62x39 mm Russian cartridge, whereas the M16 was designed for the 5.56x45 mm NATO.

A brief comparison between cartridges reveals the higher-velocity American cartridge has a significant edge in long range performance, and the Russian cartridge, with a heavier projectile, has better terminal performance due to its heavier weight.[citation needed] The heavier Russian projectile is also better in circumstances where the bullet has to pass through any material.[citation needed] This can prove important in heavy underbrush (which can deflect the lighter 5.56 mm round) but can cause problems in urban combat, where the 7.62 mm projectile might go through a wall that the 5.56 mm bullet can not penetrate, thus possibly causing civilian casualties.[citation needed] Conversely, this allows the shooter to fire through light wall materials such as drywall and cinder-blocks and into an opponent using them as cover.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:05:05 PM by Purge » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 19, 2008, 01:37:47 AM

I see it is $19.99 at Circuit City and while this is usually the price where I will grab just about any game because you can play it, sell it, and be out usually less than an $8 rent, I am worried even that will be too much. 

I see Knightshade, nor most reviewers, didn't like it, but anyone else have an opinion.  Not sure why I am even interested other than I have never played one of these SOF games I guess.

Mikeg,

I recall in another thread you were planning on giving up gaming. Could it be that you're dabbling in too many mediocre games? I don't mean that as a slight, I'm just wondering if you might be better served by focusing an very highly rated games instead of draining yourself on mediocre titles, especially considering that the amount of time you have for gaming.  SoF: Payback is very, very mediocre.

You may want to look at your purchasing habits. Perhaps you are currently like I was in the past? I used to buy many average games once they hit the bargain bin. Now I only grab AAA titles, or games that really get outstanding forum feedback. I don't have time anymore for games that are middling.

ANyway, just a thought. I wouldn't want to see you leave gaming for the wrong reasons.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:02:31 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 20, 2008, 04:57:46 PM

Quote from: mikeg on February 19, 2008, 01:37:47 AM

Mikeg,

I recall in another thread you were planning on giving up gaming. Could it be that you're dabbling in too many mediocre games? I don't mean that as a slight, I'm just wondering if you might be better served by focusing an very highly rated games instead of draining yourself on mediocre titles, especially considering that the amount of time you have for gaming.  SoF: Payback is very, very mediocre.

You may want to look at your purchasing habits. Perhaps you are currently like I was in the past? I used to buy many average games once they hit the bargain bin. Now I only grab AAA titles, or games that really get outstanding forum feedback. I don't have time anymore for games that are middling.

ANyway, just a thought. I wouldn't want to see you leave gaming for the wrong reasons.

Good point.  Maybe in my efforts to save money I have swung too far to the left.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 07:08:11 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 20, 2008, 06:37:10 PM

Good point.  Maybe in my efforts to save money I have swung too far to the left.

I'd start looking at Liongames.com for discounts plus trade-ins for preordering in advance. If you're in Canada watch the Future Shop / Best Buy flyers for their (almost monthly) buy two brand new (A) titles for $89.99. (CoD4 and AC were Novembers, there was also a DMC4 and LO last week IIRC)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: