http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:07:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I never played CounterStrike. Feel free to mock me.  (Read 2080 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2004, 03:27:56 PM »

As the title says I've never played CounterStrike.  Never.

Now I've preordered Half-Life 2 (the Silver version via Steam) and I notice I have access to the original CounterStrike, the Source version, CS: Condition Zero and CS: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes.

I'm ready to subject my 36 year-old self to some CounterStrike.  Should I start with the Condition Zero version because it's offline?  What's the Deleted Scenes version?  Should I just go to the Source version since that's what everyone's playing (even though I suck so badly...)?

Help a noob!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 03:37:26 PM »

I say fire up the original CS go have fun on some servers. Oh make sure you change your name from "Player" hehe that never goes over to well.  But mostly have some patience with yourself and enjoy it.

Ascendent
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 03:55:36 PM »

It's probably a good idea to play through the 'easy' campaign of CZ first, just to acquaint yourself with the weapons and maps so you don't have to run around the map aimlessly for several rounds, but after that, I say just jump in.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 04:16:41 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
I say fire up the original CS go have fun on some servers. Oh make sure you change your name from "Player" hehe that never goes over to well.  But mostly have some patience with yourself and enjoy it.

I agree with this, but no need to play the original, go ahead and start on the Source version.  It's the same thing with better graphics and fewer maps (for now).

For initial training, I'd recommend you put some preference on the simpler maps, dust and aztec, maybe italy and cbble.  Some of the newer ones have a lot of hallways and other twists and turns that make it easier to get lost.

While you're learning, only buy the desert eagle (pistol 4?), the mp5 (smg 2?), or the ak-47 (rifle 2)/colt (rifle 3?) depending on your side and what you can afford.  I might have the purchase numbers wrong, but these weapons are the best all around, and are better for learning.  A lot of beginners like the rifles with one level of zoom, but IMHO starting with those will give you bad habits.

Find someone on your side with a positive kill ratio, and follow them around.  Not too close, or you'll block them from retreating.  Fire in bursts, only hold down the button if the enemy is point blank.

One piece of advice I always give to beginners asking for help in the game, every round set a goal to kill one enemy before you die.  At least one.  Just thinking that helps stop the initial "I'm Rambo!" mentality and help you be more cautious.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 05:13:06 PM »

If you're gonna play then play online..dont bother playing CZ.....CS is a online mp game.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 09:02:53 PM »

I have never played CS either.  And I have no intention of doing so either.  

Down with Steam!

:wink:

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 10:02:56 PM »

Man, what is with the Steam-haters popping into every CS and HL2 thread on the forums?  It's approaching a Doom 3 level of *YAWN* thread-intrusion.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 10:41:40 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Does the updated Source version include the bots from CZ? Although they arn't a replacement for real people I think they could be a could be a descent trainer for someone to at least learn the maps and weapons before jumping into the online pool witht the pirahnas.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 11:39:25 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

Does the updated Source version include the bots from CZ? Although they arn't a replacement for real people I think they could be a could be a descent trainer for someone to at least learn the maps and weapons before jumping into the online pool witht the pirahnas.

The pirahnas are what I'm worried about.  Frankly I suck and I don't know the maps.  And I don't believe the Source version has bots.  It's online only.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 12:01:05 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Jumangi"

The pirahnas are what I'm worried about.  Frankly I suck and I don't know the maps.  And I don't believe the Source version has bots.  It's online only.

It will, (the commands are in the console, just disabled for now, and some required files are missing) but not yet.  I've heard that some folks got the CZ bots working in Source with some inspired hacking, but I've yet to see any evidence of this, and I'm certainly not risking putting any unauthorized hacks in my Steam directory.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 03:24:34 PM »

1st off, Clanwolfer, notice the smiley? That was the joke (The negativity in threads for a game)

2nd:  Doom3 doesn't install itself on your computer, you choose to install it.

I was not given a choice about Steam, it was forced on those of us who don't play multi-.   Therefore, It is different than the standard *yawn* response.  Im excited about HL2.  Im just being forced into accepting what amounts to spyware to have it.

(OH, and the "it's not spyware" angle?  GO read the privacy policy on Valve's website.  Says right in there they reserve the right to monitor your activites and collect data, and they SPECIFICALLY mention that this data will be made available to third parties at their discretion if they contract with a third party.)

3rd:  AND MOST IMPORTANT: read the title of the thread again, ok? He invited us in.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 05:43:17 PM »

Sorry after having played Counter Strike Source I much prefer the original. I get a headache from playing source. As well as Source is still getting its feet on the ground with maps/mods what have you.

Asendent
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 06:14:53 PM »

I'll agree with whoever said play Condition Zero for no other reason than to learn some of the maps and get used to the behavior of the weapons. After that, have a ball. And play the Source version. It's so much prettier, and it sounds better too.

As for the Steam arguments.. the thread is about Counter-Strike, not about Steam. Some of us would appreciate it if you guys kept these arguments in the threads that are actually about Steam itself. There's plenty of them out there. If you still feel the need to argue about it then by all means, resurrect one of those threads.

The rest of us are a little bit tired of talking and reading about it both. I came in expecting a simple thread about CS and sure enough it's already derailed with some anti-Steam sentiment.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 06:33:33 PM »

Actually I did start with Condition Zero and have been playing through the maps there.  I'm amazed this game was released in 2004.  The difference between this and the Source version is stunning.  I'm surprised they didn't do more to improve the CZ version's graphics.

But it's fun!  I'm enjoying this and can see the addictiveness of it.  Once I'm through the CZ campaign I'll start online and prolly go straight to the Source version.

Any other tips on CS would be helpful.  Not so much the ranting about Steam though.
Burwil
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 06:52:18 PM »

Too much sitting around after you are fragged......that's why CS never worked for me.  Then again, I don't like stealth games so it makes sense I wouldn't care for it.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 08:24:12 PM »

Thin_j, relax.  I told a joke, someone before you complained, and the I explained myself.  You need to lighten up.

The only posts that have served to derail this thread is humorless ones like yours.  Other than you, and me explaining myself, every post has been pretty much on topic.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 12:47:54 AM »

Don't forget to ghost around after you die to watch other people play the game.  You can pick up a lot watching what some of the better people do from different angles.  Also, ghosting around allows you a much easier way to get a feel for how the map is designed.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 04:30:00 AM »

Never played it either. Don't intend to anytime soon.

How does this work again?
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 04:57:52 AM »

I've played this a few times online...and somehow I prefer the "dumb" AI.  It seems like half the people online are just jerks...I had an idiot start shooting at me because I wouldn't "follow" his voice commands.  Its a trend online...and that's why I usually prefer playing against an AI, someone I know, or on private servers.  Overall CS:CZ was not too bad, and I'm thinking of picking up the Source version.  Also, there is (or was -its been a while) a graphic pack you can install over one of the CSCZ directory that made the game look 100% better...new CT and Ts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: