http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I just purchased a new iMac, am I allowed here?;)  (Read 1245 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:26:35 AM »

The title says it all, I think I'm in love. Downloading torchlight as we speak and team
Fortress two. Any other gamers here that use their Mac for that purpose?
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »

No.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »

I do. I have a MacBook Pro with a 6750m that performs pretty well. I will get Mac versions when I can, but most of what I get through Steam are windows games I play via boot camp.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »

Don't worry.  ibDoomed was the only around here who seemed to have an inordinate amount of almost psychotic hatred for all things Apple...and he's been absent for a while.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »

Yeah, I love my iMac. Its a great machine.  I play Torchlight on it during lunch every now and then. Thank god I didn't have to pay for it though, work did. These things are kinda pricey slywink

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:28:38 PM »

Good to know. Yeah torchlight is pretty friction awesome so
Far. This iMac seems to be a beast so
Far. So far so good.

I'm obviously a fan if saying..."so far"...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »

Quote from: heloder on November 28, 2011, 12:59:43 PM

No.

It's awesome when people are so helpful..slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 28, 2011, 06:28:38 PM

Yeah torchlight is pretty friction awesome so

um... what exactly are you doing to that poor game?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »

I installed steam on my macbook pro....yea...that's about it.  Just the steam client.  Couldn't find anything worth playing on it.  But hey, it's a work machine for specific support purposes so i don't really need to:)

IMac....is that some kind of smelly cheese?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 28, 2011, 05:26:35 AM

The title says it all, I think I'm in love. Downloading torchlight as we speak and team

Yep - as I mentioned in the Hardware thread I use my iMac about 99% for Windows 7 gaming (in Bootcamp).  Hoping one day Parallels or Fusion will be robust enough so that I don't have to boot into Win 7. 

Right now it's mostly for League of Legends and Skyrim.  Occasionally I'll get some quirks and have to play games in "full-screen windowed" but other than that I haven't had any issues.  Pretty much every game I've thrown at it runs fine.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2011, 06:53:47 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 28, 2011, 06:28:38 PM

Yeah torchlight is pretty friction awesome so

um... what exactly are you doing to that poor game?

If I told you, you would want to join in...
Seriously what a hell of a machine this is. Keep in mind my last pc was a 3ghz P4. with a gb of ram and a 64 Meg nvidia. So this 2.7 quad core with 4 gb
And a 512 card is a HUGE upgrade.

I really just wanted something different, most of
My gaming is ps3. So, this is just well, icing on the cake.

Only problem is, my wife might like it too much and want to share..slywink
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »

Every year we get a family gift. It's nice because my kids are teens and my wife and I already have enough shit. Last year it was a 60" flat screen. This year it's a 27" iMac. We have wanted one for a few years but thanks to a new job and actually getting paid to write, this xmas it will be a reality. My biggest concern is that I might not be able to run my PC on it as a monitor. I think it works through the thunder-whatever port but I don't know that for sure. Playing Skyrim on that monster screen is going to be awesome if I can get it to work.

Good on ya, harpua3.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »

I've played Civ V (free to Mac users if you already own the PC version on Steam, I think?) on my work MBP and it actually runs it WAY better than my older PC does.  It's night and day.  I think the SSD and i7 have a lot to do with that though.

I've also gotten OOTP Baseball but have yet to fire that up.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 28, 2011, 09:25:48 PM

Yep - as I mentioned in the Hardware thread I use my iMac about 99% for Windows 7 gaming (in Bootcamp).  Hoping one day Parallels or Fusion will be robust enough so that I don't have to boot into Win 7. 

Right now it's mostly for League of Legends and Skyrim.  Occasionally I'll get some quirks and have to play games in "full-screen windowed" but other than that I haven't had any issues.  Pretty much every game I've thrown at it runs fine.
um.. why get a Mac then? You just have a very expensive Windows PC.....

And RE: the title... not if we add flash to the site, you won't!  smile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 04:25:43 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 29, 2011, 04:12:18 AM

Flash runs fine on Macs, you're thinking of iPad/iPhone.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 05:34:18 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 29, 2011, 04:25:43 AM

Well, I know the MACs don't work with all websites... Thought it was a Flash issue with them as well as the Ipads/phones
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 05:48:13 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 29, 2011, 05:34:18 AM

Well, I know the MACs don't work with all websites... Thought it was a Flash issue with them as well as the Ipads/phones

Are you still designing sites using Frontpage?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »

No, I have a great Mac AND a comparably priced Windows PC on top of it.  Any time I want/need, I can go back to the Mac, just for these first months I haven't needed to.  The expensive part is actually the monitor - try and find a 27" 2560x1440 LED monitor with the quality of the Apple monitor and you'll find it's $900-$1000.  Even ignoring the fact that no one else (that I could find) offers a comparable performance All-In-One unit, a desktop with similar specs (I'm looking at the top of the line i7 - 3.4GHz) is gonna cost about $1000 or about $2000 total.  So price-wise, it's actually a wash. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:26 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 28, 2011, 11:35:47 PM

I've played Civ V (free to Mac users if you already own the PC version on Steam, I think?) on my work MBP and it actually runs it WAY better than my older PC does.  It's night and day.  I think the SSD and i7 have a lot to do with that though.

The SSD in my MBA is seriously the best thing ever.  I can't wait until all computers use SSD, it's crazy how much of a performance boost it is.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:52 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 29, 2011, 05:48:13 AM

Hey! I liked Front Page!
and anyway... I am refferring to issues I have had with multiple customers and their MACs... One customer had a small school he ran.. the owners son worked for Apple, left Apple and came to work for his dad. Made his dad get rid of all thier PC's and buy MACs... everything went fine for about 4 months or so, then one of the websites they needed to go to for the board of ed had a slight redesign and bam.. wouldn't work.. Tried on multiple MACs and even with MAC fversions of other browsers like IE, firefox, etc... no go... Windows PC worked fine... They called the board of ed web designer and they confirmed that some sort of script or something they had wasn't MAC compatible and in fact they never supported MAC with thier webiste. (It just happened to work)... They had to go buy all new PCs...
This was the most extreme case, but I have had other customers complain to me.. Many wouldn't believe it was a MAC issue until I went to the same website on my laptop...(they were usually blaming the router and/or Internet provider)...
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:20:23 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 30, 2011, 04:54:52 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 29, 2011, 05:48:13 AM

Hey! I liked Front Page!
and anyway... I am refferring to issues I have had with multiple customers and their MACs... One customer had a small school he ran.. the owners son worked for Apple, left Apple and came to work for his dad. Made his dad get rid of all thier PC's and buy MACs... everything went fine for about 4 months or so, then one of the websites they needed to go to for the board of ed had a slight redesign and bam.. wouldn't work.. Tried on multiple MACs and even with MAC fversions of other browsers like IE, firefox, etc... no go... Windows PC worked fine... They called the board of ed web designer and they confirmed that some sort of script or something they had wasn't MAC compatible and in fact they never supported MAC with thier webiste. (It just happened to work)... They had to go buy all new PCs...
This was the most extreme case, but I have had other customers complain to me.. Many wouldn't believe it was a MAC issue until I went to the same website on my laptop...(they were usually blaming the router and/or Internet provider)...

It's absolutely fucking ATROCIOUS that ANY website be compatible only on a single platform like windows (or anything else, for that matter). The one to blame is the fucking "web designer". By the fact that you cite IE on a Mac not working tells me this was several years ago (IE 5.5 on Mac was possibly the worst version of IE, including IE6 which has a special place in hell reserved for it)

Oh, and Front Page is a greasy bag of ASS. Note that it doesn't exist anymore.

Frankly, the compatibility issues just don't exist anymore. Flash is a pile of shit on Mac, sure, but it works as long as you don't mind hearing the fans on your laptop kick in.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 07:43:55 AM »

Holy fuck shit! That's all I can say! I'm a fan now. Really if I
Never got an iPhone I wouldn't have even been interested in a Mac, but apple has won my heart...or gave me a hardon... Btw, I don't want to make this a torchlight thread, but I'm Loosing A LOT of
Sleep due to this game. Got to get up at 9? Why
Not go to sleep @ 5?slywink

All things considered I'm very happy with this machine so far!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:27 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 28, 2011, 03:27:34 PM

Don't worry.  ibDoomed was the only around here who seemed to have an inordinate amount of almost psychotic hatred for all things Apple...and he's been absent for a while.

I do as well but I tend to just keep quiet in mac threads. It's like trying to explain evolution to a creationist.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »

Do iMacs automatically post in verse or is that a choice?
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 30, 2011, 12:40:26 AM

The SSD in my MBA is seriously the best thing ever.  I can't wait until all computers use SSD, it's crazy how much of a performance boost it is.

I agree about the SSDs. I'm using an SSD as the C:\ drive for the computer I built myself and it boots up Windows 7 Pro in like 5 seconds. Updates to Windows are a snap and it seems to make my games snappier too, even though they are installed on a separate, non-SSD drive.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 30, 2011, 12:40:26 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 28, 2011, 11:35:47 PM

Yup.  I require an SSD in every computer I purchase for myself now going forward.  The iMac I am speccing out for myself is not going to be cheap, but it is GOING TO BE AWESOME.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 30, 2011, 06:20:23 AM

Frankly, the compatibility issues just don't exist anymore. Flash is a pile of shit on Mac, sure, but it works as long as you don't mind hearing the fans on your laptop kick in.

The Frontpage joke was a bit tongue in cheek, but compatibility issues do still exist, but it's the same compatibility problems that exist for sites with legacy applications designed for IE6 or IE7 that still exist for some inexplicable reason. 

Also there is the whole MS JVM issue, where if a Java app was designed for that (again, is old as hell), it's going to luck f'ugly (or not function) on any OS other than windows.

But I argue if you're using an app that uses MS JVM, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG anyway.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 06:06:42 PM »

Quote from: raydude on November 30, 2011, 01:54:08 PM

I agree about the SSDs. I'm using an SSD as the C:\ drive for the computer I built myself and it boots up Windows 7 Pro in like 5 seconds. Updates to Windows are a snap and it seems to make my games snappier too, even though they are installed on a separate, non-SSD drive.

yeah, it takes my BIOS longer to post than it takes for Windows 7 to start up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 30, 2011, 07:43:55 AM

Never got an iPhone I wouldn't have even been interested in a Mac, but apple has won my heart

It's sort of funny you mention that... I was a fairly large Apple hater during my early career, then a 'meh, who cares' for a few years until the iPhone came out.  I had an iPod solely because it was the only music player that had a direct interface to my car stereo.  I didn't even want an iPhone at first, but a huge Apple fan at my office got one an I was completely blown away at how much better it was than anything else I'd ever used.  I had to have one.  That led me down a path of no return about 6 months later when I bought my first MBP for work (cause it could run Windows!  No downside at all!):

Original iPhone
15" Macbook Pro for work
Apple Time Capsule (ZOMG EASY AUTOMAGIC BACKUPS, Wireless USB Print server!!!)
Apple Airport Express (Remote App came out and let me play my entire iTunes collection on my home stereo while controlling it from my phone?!?!  HOLY CRAP I MUST HAVE THIS)
iPhone 3G
13" Macbook Pro for personal use
iPad
AppleTV (Airplay + Airvideo = I can ridiculously easily play any video from my Mac or PC on my TV?  YES PLEASE)
iPhone 4 (finally an approved platform at my current employer - I worked 2 years with a BB and wanted to shoot myself after coming from an iPhone)
13" Macbook Pro for work (finally an approved platform at my current employer)
iPad2 for work
Soon to come decked out iMac for personal use.

From a huge, huge Apple detractor to someone who has an Apple product in just about every room in my home.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 30, 2011, 06:14:22 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 30, 2011, 07:43:55 AM

Never got an iPhone I wouldn't have even been interested in a Mac, but apple has won my heart

It's sort of funny you mention that... I was a fairly large Apple hater during my early career, then a 'meh, who cares' for a few years until the iPhone came out.  I had an iPod solely because it was the only music player that had a direct interface to my car stereo.  I didn't even want an iPhone at first, but a huge Apple fan at my office got one an I was completely blown away at how much better it was than anything else I'd ever used.  I had to have one.  That led me down a path of no return about 6 months later when I bought my first MBP for work (cause it could run Windows!  No downside at all!):

Original iPhone
15" Macbook Pro for work
Apple Time Capsule (ZOMG EASY AUTOMAGIC BACKUPS, Wireless USB Print server!!!)
Apple Airport Express (Remote App came out and let me play my entire iTunes collection on my home stereo while controlling it from my phone?!?!  HOLY CRAP I MUST HAVE THIS)
iPhone 3G
13" Macbook Pro for personal use
iPad
AppleTV (Airplay + Airvideo = I can ridiculously easily play any video from my Mac or PC on my TV?  YES PLEASE)
iPhone 4 (finally an approved platform at my current employer - I worked 2 years with a BB and wanted to shoot myself after coming from an iPhone)
13" Macbook Pro for work (finally an approved platform at my current employer)
iPad2 for work
Soon to come decked out iMac for personal use.

From a huge, huge Apple detractor to someone who has an Apple product in just about every room in my home.

Don't you have to use a BB for work?  Does it make you cringe every time you use it??

EDIT: Oh looks like you were able to switch.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »

It's absolutely fucking ATROCIOUS that ANY website be compatible only on a single platform like windows (or anything else, for that matter). The one to blame is the fucking "web designer". By the fact that you cite IE on a Mac not working tells me this was several years ago (IE 5.5 on Mac was possibly the worst version of IE, including IE6 which has a special place in hell reserved for it)
Nope.. Not several... Last year right around September I believe.... New MAC's. Tried loading fresh copies of IE to see if it worked that way and no go...
I also wouldn't blame the wbe designer in this case.. The website had very specific requirements and it is possible that they needed to use code and/or plugins that just wouldn't work on a MAC... and, since they didnt support MAC, and told their clients this, I don't see any reason for them to go out of their way to look into extra development for a platform they don't support... Sure, some general website would need to test MAC compatibility, but not all of them...
Just curious... Does GT and the GT forums completly support MAC? Android? Blackberry? HP WebOS? I know I've had issues accessing the forums on a BlackBerry and my old Android phone....
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 06:55:22 AM »

I have zero issues with this site and forums on my iMac and iPhone 4. That's what allows me to post here while I'm on the tio...well you get the picture;)!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on December 01, 2011, 04:37:26 AM

Nope.. Not several... Last year right around September I believe.... New MAC's. Tried loading fresh copies of IE to see if it worked that way and no go...
I also wouldn't blame the wbe designer in this case.. The website had very specific requirements and it is possible that they needed to use code and/or plugins that just wouldn't work on a MAC... and, since they didnt support MAC, and told their clients this, I don't see any reason for them to go out of their way to look into extra development for a platform they don't support... Sure, some general website would need to test MAC compatibility, but not all of them...
Just curious... Does GT and the GT forums completly support MAC? Android? Blackberry? HP WebOS? I know I've had issues accessing the forums on a BlackBerry and my old Android phone....

iirc there has not been a new version of IE for several years.  I think that was what he was referring to.  So any web browser optimizations or changes since 2003 would not be present in that version of IE. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »

I do not miss iOS. I did enjoy using my buddies 17" MBP this last summer. Multi-touch is fantastic.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »

I don't think you understand. If you are developing for the WEB, and what you build isn't compatible in standards-compliant browsers YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. This has nothing to do with Mac or PC, it has everything to do with shitty code and dependance on proprietary plugins which have been deprecated for YEARS. This isn't software, it's a fucking website. You shouldn't HAVE to test specifically on a Mac. Websites and web apps should be optimized to standards compliant browsers and THEN any exceptions for the various IE fuckeries should be accounted for.

GT was designed and developed on a Mac. Should work fine on an Android (I believe Ron has confirmed this). As for Blackberry, that platform is garbage and splintered to hell, and much like WebOS the amount of traffic we get from it doesn't warrant dedicating any resources to it.

Mike Dunn
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 01, 2011, 03:35:25 PM

iirc there has not been a new version of IE for several years.  I think that was what he was referring to.  So any web browser optimizations or changes since 2003 would not be present in that version of IE. 

Correct.  I'm not even certain IE would run on any modern Mac OS (it certainly won't on Lion as it's not a native Intel app).  I don't even know where you'd download it as MSFT themselves have stopped distributing it for years.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 07:26:26 AM »

So far I REALLY like(love) this machine. But, there is one aggravating bug with the os. Sometimes it boots to safe mode for NO REASON. The part of the story I failed to mention was...

After two days of having this machine. I, on rare occasion, got boot into safe mode. Randomly. Well instead of looking on the net for info( that would have been too difficult!), I freaked out and called the apple store. This was just 48hrs after buying it. They had never heard of this and recommended I come in. They never heard of this before and we swapped it out for a new system and a day later I saw it again. A little light research gave me an answer. This is a common bug with the newest OS and to avoid it, just sync up the k/b after the system starts booting. I believe apple will fix this. Bluetooth issue is what I found out. I drink too much, goodnight!

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself!

PS, I thought apple store peeps would have know of this, but...I was just as "dumb"!!! icon_lol
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on December 01, 2011, 04:18:29 PM

I don't think you understand. If you are developing for the WEB, and what you build isn't compatible in standards-compliant browsers YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. This has nothing to do with Mac or PC, it has everything to do with shitty code and dependance on proprietary plugins which have been deprecated for YEARS. This isn't software, it's a fucking website. You shouldn't HAVE to test specifically on a Mac. Websites and web apps should be optimized to standards compliant browsers and THEN any exceptions for the various IE fuckeries should be accounted for.

GT was designed and developed on a Mac. Should work fine on an Android (I believe Ron has confirmed this). As for Blackberry, that platform is garbage and splintered to hell, and much like WebOS the amount of traffic we get from it doesn't warrant dedicating any resources to it.

Well, my understanding is that this was their answer as well... All of their clients that need to access the website and it's related databases were PC based and using IE, so it didn't warrant them dedicating any resources to it. smile
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on December 02, 2011, 04:04:37 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on December 01, 2011, 04:18:29 PM

Well, my understanding is that this was their answer as well... All of their clients that need to access the website and it's related databases were PC based and using IE, so it didn't warrant them dedicating any resources to it. smile

And yet you continue to miss the point. Getting a website or app to work on a standards compliant browser takes very little effort. The blame still lays squarely on the developer.

Mike Dunn
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 05:36:52 PM »

The name of the forum is PC (Personal Computing) Gaming, not PC Gaming for computers' running a Microsoft OS.  icon_biggrin  So yeah, IMO you're allowed here.

Personally I've never been big on MACs (mostly due to career obligations) but helping my nephew get one was mandatory when he decided to get a diplomna in music production. In that field MACs are really the platform of choice.  He's recently gotten into custom building Mac compatibles for himself and friends from carefully chosen components. I can say those systems, which are very robust, run Windows games very well yet are on par for price with a decent Windows gaming rig.

I think where Macs can sometimes be challenged is in running games compiled to their OS. The 1st MAC my nephew got was a decently spec'd laptop and I remember opting for more RAM and better CPUs and GPUs. I was often suprised that MAC games I bought him didn't peform very well on it - especially since they weren't bleeding edge, recent releases. I put that down to just poor optimization by the dev team, but I think that's a legitimate concern since consoles or Windows OS's are the primary dev platform for most games. That was 5 years ago though, and the MAC has gained some good market momentum  since. I'm curious if the situation has since improved re. MAC game performance?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:02:49 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: