http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:38:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I just finished Unreal II  (Read 1604 times)
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2004, 04:10:16 AM »

I'm wondering what everyone hated about this game. Maybe I liked it because I spent $2.50 on it (Thanks to EB's sale on used games). It wasn't the second coming on FPS's but it was a pretty fun game overall.
If it really did come out in early 2003 (I don't remember for sure) then the graphics are very well done. The missions are varied enough that none of it got old. The AI wasn't revolutionary but it was decent. I enjoyed the story and learning about my crew members. I was sad about how things turned out in the end. Not because the story was bad but because I thought it was good for a FPS.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 04:23:43 AM »

I liked it.

I played it to finish about 2 months ago and really found it pretty good.  I'd say it was a solid B or B+ title.

A lot of the flack PC gamers gave it was because one magazine hailed it as "the game that will save PC gaming as we know it" or some such rubbish.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 04:24:38 AM »

I also enjoyed it but unlike you i found the graphics to look old when it was new. I also hated the ending...booo booooo.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 04:30:10 AM »

I tried to play this last night, but it wouldn't start up.  I think it's SafeDisc.

Gotta get me's a crack...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 05:05:29 AM »

I thought it was a pretty good FPS experience.  Nothing revolutionary, but I had fun playing it.

You can download the Extended Multi-Player pack free.  I didn't try it, but if you are looking for even more milage out of your $2.50 (!) you might give it a look.

From the site:
The XMP "Expanded Multiplayer" addition to Unreal II: The Awakening incorporates a class-based multiplayer system into the single-player title.

If you picked up the "Special Edition" then you already have this.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »

Crap game. Boring, short, and stupid plot. Pretty graphics, but what else do you expect from an Unreal game? Unless the words "Tournament 200X" are in the title, I'll never buy another Unreal game.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 04:58:08 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I thought it was a pretty good FPS experience.  Nothing revolutionary, but I had fun playing it.

You can download the Extended Multi-Player pack free.  I didn't try it, but if you are looking for even more milage out of your $2.50 (!) you might give it a look.

From the site:
The XMP "Expanded Multiplayer" addition to Unreal II: The Awakening incorporates a class-based multiplayer system into the single-player title.

If you picked up the "Special Edition" then you already have this.

XMP kicks ass, although I never really got into it once it was released.  I'm the type that moves on to new games quick.  

But I beta tested it and had a blast.  It's too bad they didn't release it with the game, XMP may have been a hit otherwise.  

As for Unreal 2, I posted my feelings on the same version of the OO thread  Tongue

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Bulletproof
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 04:59:18 AM »

I kind of thought the game was unfairly slammed as well. I have really enjoyed the parts I've played,...especially the ones where you are accompanied by other marines. I would still be playing it if my old hard drive hadn't failed. frown

BP
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 05:56:02 PM »

I finally got it running last night.

So far, I don't see the problem with the game.  Indeed, I'm enjoying it a whole hell of alot more than Halo--and the two games do feel very similar, especially in terms of weapon selection, enemy AI and tactics.

$50 might have been a bit much for the game, but for the $2.50 I paid, it looks like a good purchase.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 06:26:01 PM »

I enjoyed my play through it

Nothing spectacular, but it was worth the time invested.  Nice little diversion until something else came out at the time
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 07:25:13 PM »

Well it was better than halo.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 05:42:08 AM »

Yeah, I really don't see what made Halo such a "great" game but Unreal 2 is bashed.  Both games were pretty average.  Not that it's a bad thing to be average, but I don't think Halo deserved the praise it got.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Khelavaster
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 11:05:48 AM »

Yeah, it's strange. I played both, still I can remember vividly many levels from Halo (even when they were repetitive as hell) but I have forgotten almost everything about U2. I remember enjoying it a lot, though...  and something about spiders. I also remember having a lot of fun with some "defend the perimeter" missions where you had to place force fields. But not much else.

I guess the fact that Halo has stayed longer in my memory - and in a positive light - must mean something, to me at least. I'm looking forward to Halo 2.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 03:00:22 PM »

I enjoyed Unreal II a lot.  I liked the graphics and the crewmates. I really liked the defend missions and the flamethrower!  Despite all the complaints it received I even liked the refreshingly less then cheerful ending.  Halo was fun but unlike the poster above I cant remember a single individual level in the game.  Each to their own I suppose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: