http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:41:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So i have just cancelled Xbox Live Gold(After 8 Years)  (Read 995 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »

I have had a GOLD Account for 8 and a half years
During XB1 and the first year or so of XB360 i was a real fan of XBLG and defended the price

However,I can't even remember the last time when i put in some real time on a Multiplayer game(Black Ops 2,didn't last long,which i think was my last MP game)

I first got into Xbox Live gaming online with the Star Wars Battlefronts on Xbox 1 and the amount of time i spent on there and with the many friends i found from that game the monthly charge was more than worth it

(The only game i spent just as much time online was Final Fantasy 11 on the 360,which only a silver account was needed anyhow)

Then came Xbox 360 and after a couple of years some certain decisions has made me rethink

Closing xbox live 1 :They told us at the time it would be used to make some real changes to Xbox Live gold on 360...however,the NXE had already happened and we already had apps+shit,so we haven't really seen any massive changes since they got rid of Xbox Live 1,so i feel as though i am actually getting less now(as i would of used XBL1 much more than anything on XBL2)

I think a lot of people speculated that the friends list cap was to increase would be one feature we would see

Price Increase: While Playstation 3 was just starting to find its feet after a rocky start,Xbox Live prices were increased...again because no killer online games have emerged for me,this wasn't a good move(IMO),but i kept holding out(helped by the endless SWBF3 rumours),and it was especially annoying move because a lot of people were expecting a price cut and this move caught a lot of people out

My main online play this gen comes from
-Co-Op with Myto in Borderlands GOTY
-Bioshock 2 MP-I really enjoyed this,however i bought the game on the Friday and capped at 40 by Monday
-COD titles-After loving COD2 in the early years of 360,each COD title(IMO)has been moving away from the game i really loved,Black Ops 2,was pretty much the last straw
-Far Cry 3 Co-Op,took about 3-4 hrs,actual Multiplayer was pretty awful

Games i am looking forward to or are on my backlist,either have no Multiplayer or Multiplayer that i have no interest in

The only time i plan on coming back to XBLG this gen will be for Borderlands 2 GOTY edition to play with Myto again(we are just waiting)but at that time i will just buy a monthly subscription(or 3 month at the most)

and maybe if Star Wars First Assault gets released(which looks pretty doubtful at the moment)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:24:04 PM »

Yup, I similarly cut it (and sold my 360) due to not really seeing much in the pipeline and the cost being annoying nowadays given Steam and PSN being free... Loving PSN Plus though.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »

I cancelled my Gold subscription years ago and moved to PS3 for all my online gaming.
The way I looked at it was I could spend $60 on Call of Duty for the 360, or the same price for the PS3 version. The difference was, one was free to play while one had a monthly fee.

Still enjoy my 360 for singleplayer gaming though. Played the hell out of the GoW bots.

Just that while PS3, Vita, Wii, Wii U, PC, and even iOS and Android are all free to play online, Xbox is the only one charging for it.
On principle I just cant bring myself to pay for something that is free everywhere else.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:29:25 AM »

as long as I get the $39.99 XBL 12 month cards I'll probably keep subscribing since I never know when the MP bug is going to bite for a game on the 360.  I'll probably pay for a sub to PSN Plus as well when I run out of time from the free codes that I got.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

When I was canceling the auto renew on my gold membership the xbox live sales rep pulled up my info and said, "I can see you still use it though, you were watching netflix last night, and you played minecraft and watched amazon prime on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.  Your family still enjoys the gold membership." icon_eek

Why do I have to speak to a freaking sales rep to cancel when most companies in the 21st century allow me to do that online?  Also, do they have any idea how creepy it is to have a sales rep recite back exactly what my family was doing each time the xbox was on?  That had the exact opposite effect I think they were going for.  Yes, cancel this shit now.  I have a PS3, 2 iPads, and 3 PCs, my family is covered for video streaming, I don't need to pay another sub fee on top of my isp and netflix fees.  I feel like a sucker for paying for xbox live gold for as long as I have.  I contributed to why MS feels this is still a viable business practice.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 08, 2013, 12:46:57 AM

When I was canceling the auto renew on my gold membership the xbox live sales rep pulled up my info and said, "I can see you still use it though, you were watching netflix last night, and you played minecraft and watched amazon prime on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.  Your family still enjoys the gold membership." icon_eek

Why do I have to speak to a freaking sales rep to cancel when most companies in the 21st century allow me to do that online?  Also, do they have any idea how creepy it is to have a sales rep recite back exactly what my family was doing each time the xbox was on?  That had the exact opposite effect I think they were going for.  Yes, cancel this shit now.  I have a PS3, 2 iPads, and 3 PCs, my family is covered for video streaming, I don't need to pay another sub fee on top of my isp and netflix fees.  I feel like a sucker for paying for xbox live gold for as long as I have.  I contributed to why MS feels this is still a viable business practice.

Its nice that Microsoft looks at what you are doing, eh? That's some real privacy waiwing we've probably all agreed to somewhere.

Anyways - MS Gold is an abomination. They offer nothing that you can't get for free (In terms of services) other places (Hell, even on the PS3) and they arbitarily decides who goes behind the paywall or not. As an example - HBO Nordic (Nordic countries rights holders to streaming HBO content) didn't even know that they app they were developing were going to cost people on top of the fee HBO Nordic themselves asks, as Netflix, video and music also costs on Xbox. PS3 though, has all the same content for free.

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »

There is no unified multiplayer platform that even comes close to the features, up time and simplicity of XBL Gold. For 3.00 per month it's a no brainer.

But if you're not using it, no reason to pay for it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 08, 2013, 11:33:15 AM

There is no unified multiplayer platform that even comes close to the features, up time and simplicity of XBL Gold. For 3.00 per month it's a no brainer.

But if you're not using it, no reason to pay for it.

+1.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:03:03 PM »

The best feature is how most of their features just allow you to make a connection to another service
that you all ready pay for.  Hello hulu plus, netflix, etc

Now if Gold included access to all that stuff without having to pay yet again, it would have some value.  To me.  smile

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »

I'm on and off with it and consequently now only sub with the $20, 3 month cards. Some years I've only done XBL mplay for a few months, so even the deals on 1 year cards usually aren't worth if for me. I swore to never sub to the service using a credit card years ago for the very same obnoxious and annoying exit interview someone already mentioned. With time cards the subscription just expires - no questions asked.

Most of my 360 mplay is done at a biweekly LAN meet where we syslink. More and more games aren't supporting that though (here's looking at you Kold-tick & your Asstovision) and if that trend continues I might just leave my online mplay exclusively to  the PC.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 08, 2013, 06:48:57 PM

I'm on and off with it and consequently now only sub with the $20, 3 month cards. Some years I've only done XBL mplay for a few months, so even the deals on 1 year cards usually aren't worth if for me. I swore to never sub to the service using a credit card years ago for the very same obnoxious and annoying exit interview someone already mentioned. With time cards the subscription just expires - no questions asked.

Most of my 360 mplay is done at a biweekly LAN meet where we syslink. More and more games aren't supporting that though (here's looking at you Kold-tick & your Asstovision) and if that trend continues I might just leave my online mplay exclusively to  the PC.
Using monthly cards is a good idea.  I wish I had done that instead of using a credit card.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 12:38:34 AM »

Last year I got a decent price on a year card thinking I would like to get some MP gaming time in.   I not only didn't play any,  I've dropped so much of my Xbox gaming that if it wasn't for the backlog shelf, I would have already unplugged it.   I don't think I've played more than an hour so far this year.   My  PS3 has had more game time.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 01:00:27 AM »

Assuming that's $50 a year that ends up being about $400. You could have had a second console or pretty much pre-paid your next gen console for that amount. Don't you feel silly now?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 09, 2013, 01:00:27 AM

Assuming that's $50 a year that ends up being about $400. You could have had a second console or pretty much pre-paid your next gen console for that amount. Don't you feel silly now?

hell, I waste more than $400 a year buying big meals that only get half eaten.  $400 over the course of 8 years is nothing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 09, 2013, 02:02:26 AM

hell, I waste more than $400 a year buying big meals that only get half eaten.  $400 over the course of 8 years is nothing.

Rich boy!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »

No.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »

I pay the money solely because the handful of people I do enjoy playing online with prefer the 360.  If not for them, I'd have canceled quite some time ago.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 09, 2013, 02:20:42 PM

I pay the money solely because the handful of people I do enjoy playing online with prefer the 360.  If not for them, I'd have canceled quite some time ago.

This. Frankly, I went out for dinner and the three of us rang a bill up twice my live account. That was _one_ nice meal.

I'll cancel when I'm done. I wouldn't mind if they told me who was no longer subscribed so I could thin my friends list.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 09, 2013, 04:40:11 PM

Quote from: gellar on April 09, 2013, 02:20:42 PM

I pay the money solely because the handful of people I do enjoy playing online with prefer the 360.  If not for them, I'd have canceled quite some time ago.

This. Frankly, I went out for dinner and the three of us rang a bill up twice my live account. That was _one_ nice meal.

I'll cancel when I'm done. I wouldn't mind if they told me who was no longer subscribed so I could thin my friends list.

Fairly sure you can tell by the color of their gamertag/card. Silver for silver and gold for gold. It may take a few seconds to load properly of course.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

Yeah, but I'm talking more about people who've actively canceled their account.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: