http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 08:30:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I got a PS3 for Christmas... now what?  (Read 1385 times)
msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »

I'm exchanging gifts with the family on Christmas, and notice that my pile is significantly smaller than the rest. This didn't bother me, as I'm a highly evolved American Adult Male who doesn't need a lot of christmas gifts, but dammit I've been good all year! Clearly the only logical conclusion was that I was going to receive one really good gift, that would put all other gifts to shame. I might have taken a quick peak outside to see if there was a Lexus with a bow on it, but sadly there were too many cars in our driveway to be sure. Finally as the pile of presents were winding down, one was shoved my way. And lo and behold, it was a PS3!

A PS3 bundle to be more precise, with Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One and Little Big Planet 2. What are the big PS3 exclusive games I should play? I know the Uncharted series is popular, and picked up 1 and 2 already. Heavy Rain is another game I've been wanting to play. And I played the first few God of Wars, so I'll probably play God of War 3 at some point as well. What else is out there?

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »

my condolences slywink  Start watching movies!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »

Well, you've got Uncharted, Heavy Rain and Little Big Planet 2 covered already, so that's the big ones right there. If you like shooters you should have a look at the Killzone games too, and perhaps Resistance 3. If you've played Dark Souls you might want to play Demon's Soul. If not, I'd just skip directly to Dark Souls even though it's not exclusive. Many people are probably going to recommend the Infamous games, but I never liked them much.

You should also take a look at the Playstation Store. There you'll find such must-haves as Super Stardust HD, Echochrome, Flower, and PixelJunk Shooter.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »

What should you do first? Cancel your Xbox Live 'pay to play' subscription as you are now entering the realm of free to play! No more monthly subscriptions to pay the games you already paid full price for.

One exclusive I always find myself coming back to is MAG. It's $19.99 new now, and is as far as I know the only console FPS that does 128vs128 battles. The smallest game is 32vs32.
It levels up call of duty style, allowing you to get new armor, weapons, accessories, etc. Three different factions to choose from all have their own weapons. One game mode has all 3 factions fighting at the same time for control. (32vs32vs32)

Other exclusives I'd look into, especially for online multiplayer, are Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, and Payday The Heist. (4 player COOP)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »

Killzone and Resistance games, the core Ratchet and Clank Future titles (+ dlc), Infamous series,  Valkyria Chronicles.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »

Well you already named 2 franchises that hold my interest on the PS3: Drake and God of War series.

I love shooters and I tried both Resistance and Killzone early titles and could not get comfortable with either titles gameplay coupled with the controller.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »

Uncharted 2.. Uncharted 2.. and Uncharted 2. Then.. Uncharted 3!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 03, 2012, 02:09:03 PM

What should you do first? Cancel your Xbox Live 'pay to play' subscription as you are now entering the realm of free to play! No more monthly subscriptions to pay the games you already paid full price for.

Roll Eyes

We know that's your biggest selling point of your PS3 fandom already.  You don't need to add it to every damn post you make about the system.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »

Somebody woke up with their panties in a twist.

Funny how some people actually get offended when you praise one system over another. Don't like my posts - don't read 'em.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 03, 2012, 03:29:24 PM

Somebody woke up with their panties in a twist.

Funny how some people actually get offended when you praise one system over another. Don't like my posts - don't read 'em.

Lulz.

Offended?  No.  Do I find it bizarre, as an owner and player of all three current gen systems, for someone to tout one system over another incessantly?  Yes.

Anyway, msteelers, ignore corruptrelic.  Keep your Live subscription to keep playing MP games with us; enjoy the PS3 for all the great exclusives.

Also, since you liked God of War 1 and 2, the two PSP games have been ported to the PS3 (with HD textures and all that) in God of War: Origins Collection.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

Hey, proner actually contributed to the thread this time instead of his typical trolling!

I'm not sure why you feel your opinion is better than the rest of us, or why you troll so many threads, but my comment on cancelling Xbox Live was a little something called sarcasm.
A few posts up someone calls the PS3 a "movie player" which I got a laugh out of. There are fans on each side, but those that seem to take offense to their system of choice being criticized (such as you clearly do) for something that's actually a genuine point really need to calm down. 
It's obviously bizarre if you prefer one system over the other for multiplayer (when you own both) because you want to save a few bucks when one is free and the other has a monthly fee. Bizarre I tell you.

Now back to OP: Ignore the troll, and get MAG!  icon_biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 03, 2012, 01:50:57 PM

Start watching movies!

and buy the blu ray remote!  much nicer than using the regular controller.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:04:34 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »

Ninokuni: Queen of the Holy White Ash Trailer (English Subs)  is number one on my upcoming list.  It may be the most beautiful game I have seen.  

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »

Sounds like you are getting good advice with the Uncharted series, ratchet and clank future series, god of war series already. Infamous is cool if you like open world games. Killzone games have the best visuals and excellent attention to details for an FPS.  Resistance series are ok for FPS, I find the KZ games better.

Really the Uncharted series is where the best is at IMO.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »

The PS3 has a much better movie streaming functionality (uPnP) than the 360. Other than that, I'd suggest getting Flower, inFamous1 (and 2 to some extent).

I didn't find any of the exclusive games particularly compelling otherwise.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 03, 2012, 05:01:19 PM

Ninokuni: Queen of the Holy White Ash Trailer (English Subs)  is number one on my upcoming list.  It may be the most beautiful game I have seen. 

Cute, although I'm not sure how compelling the game itself will be. I got tired of overwrought Anime Plotlines a while ago. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »

I think everyone's covered the major ones, but I'd also add MLB The Show if you have any interest in a baseball game.  It's spectacular.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 03, 2012, 04:52:17 PM

Hey, proner actually contributed to the thread this time instead of his typical trolling!

I'm not sure why you feel your opinion is better than the rest of us, or why you troll so many threads, but my comment on cancelling Xbox Live was a little something called sarcasm.
A few posts up someone calls the PS3 a "movie player" which I got a laugh out of. There are fans on each side, but those that seem to take offense to their system of choice being criticized (such as you clearly do) for something that's actually a genuine point really need to calm down. 
It's obviously bizarre if you prefer one system over the other for multiplayer (when you own both) because you want to save a few bucks when one is free and the other has a monthly fee. Bizarre I tell you.

it's not about fandom, or about saving money.  It's about a better online experience AND more accessibility with friends.  Bizarre is preferring to not play with your friends.

There are plenty of things I would do with a PS3, but online multiplayer isn't one of them.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 03, 2012, 05:57:26 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 03, 2012, 04:52:17 PM

it's not about fandom, or about saving money.  It's about a better online experience AND more accessibility with friends.  Bizarre is preferring to not play with your friends.

There are plenty of things I would do with a PS3, but online multiplayer isn't one of them.

Perhaps it isn't for you, but for me it is. I just can't justify wasting $60 a year for something that is free everywhere else. Don't get me wrong, I love my 360, especially GOW III with bots, but if I'm going to choose between buying say Battlefield 3 on PS3 or 360, I'm going to choose PS3 because it's the same game, I just don't have to worry about paying a monthly fee for it. As there are times I go 2 or 3 months without playing a console, with Live (which I have had on and off) I feel like I'm paying for something I'm not fully using.

As far as playing with friends, the majority of people on my PS3 list are people I work with and know in real life, so I most definitely do play with friends. There are PS3 exclusives (such as MAG I mentioned) that you should at least give a try before writing off PS3 online completely. If you don't like PS3 online that's fine, but at least you gave it a try right? It's not like it's going to cost you anything to do so. I actually had a guy at work who was a major 360 fanboy who got a PS3 and tried playing MAG with me. After we kept getting killed at the spawn point by snipers, he ended up prefering the 360 over the PS3 and now just uses the PS3 as his blu-ray and netflix player. Completely respect that. It's a preference and while some may say the 360 has a better online experience, others will say the PS3 does. It's just how you look at it, and we all look at things differently.
For those here that do own a PS3 and play online, I'm always up for a game.. just send me a friends request. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »

Cripes, quit hijacking somebody else's thread with this crap.  Everybody just drop it.  And don't bring it up next time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »

Another vote for Uncharted 2 -> 3. And of course God of War 3. Infamous is worth checking out too.

If you try the online games the Pixel Junk Shooter games are good.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 03, 2012, 06:19:14 PM

And don't bring it up next time.

thumbsup
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »

Get past the rocky beginning, and inFamous is an amazing game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 4 are both solid strategy games with good world design.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 03, 2012, 05:34:20 PM

I think everyone's covered the major ones, but I'd also add MLB The Show if you have any interest in a baseball game.  It's spectacular.

+1.  One of the best sports games I have every played.

morlac00 on PSN
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »

Ninokuni: Queen of the Holy White Ash Trailer (English Subs)  is number one on my upcoming list.  It may be the most beautiful game I have seen. 

did anyone else read this as "queen of the white trash" - just me?

also how did i not know a disgaea game came out on the ps3???
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »

Try Resistance 1 for some older style shooting where you get an awesome arsenal of weapons. Then if you liked the setting, you've got to make a judgement call on Resistance 2, which you can probably skip since it diverges so much from the original, but you should probably read what happens in it to brush up on what's happening in Resistance 3, which is honestly one of the best shooters this season, mixing the giant arsenal with a really good story and characters. The only reason why R3 hasn't succeeded as well as the first two was that R2 was a pretty big disappointment to fans.

For downloadable games, try stuff from the Pixeljunk series, especially the Shooter series, which is less shooter and more puzzle action/exploration.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I assumed the God of War Origins stuff was the first two games from the PS2, but if they are the portable games I'll probably rent them. And I completely forgot about MLB: The Show. I loved this game when I played it on the PS2, and every summer I regret not being able to play it. Now that can change.  icon_biggrin

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 12:34:29 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on January 03, 2012, 11:28:21 PM

also how did i not know a disgaea game came out on the ps3???
Even worse, you missed two of them - Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4 slywink

I assumed the God of War Origins stuff was the first two games from the PS2, but if they are the portable games I'll probably rent them.
Origins is the two PSP games in HD, while the God of War Collection is the two PS2 games in HD.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »

Uncharted 2 then 3
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Netflix!

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 02:35:50 AM »

Definitely Uncharted.  Start with the first one. 
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 03:17:38 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on January 03, 2012, 10:53:55 PM

Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 4 are both solid strategy games with good world design.

I second the VC recommendation if you have any love for turned based gaming.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »

God of War 1, 2, 3 is awesome and should keep you busy for a fairly long time.

Other then that, Little big planet 1 and 2, which you already have.

Some good gaming there.   
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 02:15:33 AM »

Don't forget a couple of others (depending on your tastes)

Final Fantasy (much nicer streaming from one BR disc compared to the 3 on Xbox and slightly better graphics due to less compression)
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Yakuza 4
Modnation Racers
Metal Gear Solid 4

Coming soon is The Last of Us as a PS3 exclusive as well.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »

All the Uncharted games.....best games on the PS3!

Other great games not available anywhere else:

God Of War 3
Killzone 2/3
Super Stardust HD (PSN Only)
MLB The Show (if you like Baseball)
Singstar (my whole family loves it amd since Lips is dead for the Xbox, it's the only game in town)
Resistance 1/2/3

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »

Quote from: ericb on January 05, 2012, 02:15:33 AM

Don't forget a couple of others (depending on your tastes)

Final Fantasy (much nicer streaming from one BR disc compared to the 3 on Xbox and slightly better graphics due to less compression)
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Yakuza 4
Modnation Racers
Metal Gear Solid 4

Coming soon is The Last of Us as a PS3 exclusive as well.
Metal Gear 4 gets over looked a lot now, because it is old, but it's still a really solid game, and it has some of the best graphics on the system. Just be ready to watch several hours of cut-scenes.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »

Enjoy the hell out of that thing! Sony seriously has a great first party line-up.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »

Bizarre is preferring to not play with your friends.

Bizarre is trying to tell someone else how they should be playing their own system.  I know this may come as a shock to someone that is dependent on a 360 for all their social interaction, but there are people out there that *GASP* don't play anything multiplayer!  icon_eek  Can you believe that?  A few of my friends don't even HAVE an internet connection!  Oh the humanity!

Back on topic:  I would recommend Metal Gear Solid 4 if you liked the others, Heavy Rain, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Heavenly Sword.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:00:47 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 04:59:43 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on January 09, 2012, 12:58:11 AM

Bizarre is preferring to not play with your friends.

Bizarre is trying to tell someone else how they should be playing their own system.  I know this may come as a shock to someone that is dependent on a 360 for all their social interaction, but there are people out there that *GASP* don't play anything multiplayer!  icon_eek  Can you believe that?  A few of my friends don't even HAVE an internet connection!  Oh the humanity!

Back on topic:  I would recommend Metal Gear Solid 4 if you liked the others, Heavy Rain, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Heavenly Sword.
Hey, he's on forums too...

OT:
Uncharted series
Ratchet & Clank Future (tools and clockblockers crack in time)
God of War Collection & GoW 3
Resistance series
Killzone

I got all those in my collection for it. I believe they are all exclusive as well. Have a couple others but either haven't played them yet or non-exclusive titles. All good so far.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: