http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 04:51:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I finally got a PS2  (Read 1177 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:06:05 AM »

All I have to say is:  

HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS SMALL!  The 360 power brick is 2/3rds the size of this thing, and maybe if you flattened it out it might be the same size.

Well, now that is out of my system, I'm kicking myself for taking so long to pick one up.  So far I've picked up Kingdom Hearts (It's sucked away the last 6 hours of my life) and Shadowhearts Covenant (didn't realize it was a sequel, now I have to track down the first one).  I'm mainly going to be playing RPG's on it, but does anyone have any recommendations of games along the lines of Kingdom Hearts?  I'm already set to get the sequel, but what other action RPG's (and regular ones) are out there that are good?

So far I'm eyeing:

Grandia 3
Kingdom Hearts 2
Star Oceans

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:16:43 AM »

Did you buy the slim one?  How much and where?  I'm on the market, but am still researching....
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:37:43 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Did you buy the slim one?  How much and where?  I'm on the market, but am still researching....

yeah, I got the slim one.  $149 at a Gamestop B&M.  I took a bunch of games in to trade today, ended up with $105 credit and didn't see anything else to get, so I said 'what the heck?'  I got a used memory card (Sony brand, 8 meg) for $17.99.  I'm planning on picking up the Logitech wireless controller later this week.  I have their X-Box wireless controller and love it, and the regular PS2 controller feels too light.

I swear, if you want an idea of how small this thing is, take 2 DVD cases, add about an inch and a half to the lenght and about a half inch to the width, and that's how big the slim version is.

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:37:22 AM »

If you even remotely like RPGs, then Dragon Quest VIII is a must-play. Also, if you can track it down then pick up Guitar Hero. God of War (the first 2/3rds), Shadow of the Colossus, and any of the Ratchet & Clank games and you'll be set. ICO is way overrated IMO. Visually stunning, but doesn't play half as well as the legend would lead you to believe.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 05:57:26 AM »

Star Ocean is pretty cheap to get now but I found it to be quite slow(especially cut scenes).

I doubt you could go wrong picking up DQ8.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 06:13:13 AM »

Also, might want to give Devil May Cry 1 & 3 a shot.

Oh, and get Frequency and Amplitude. Yes, I realize they're not even close to being anything you asked for, but damn it, man - these games make you be cool. COOL. LIKE ICE.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »

By Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari.

Now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 10:53:51 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  That's the nice thing about picking up an older console-  there's no lack of games, just a lack of time to play said games.

Because I can,
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »

I think Suikoden III is by far the best RPG on the PS2.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 12:38:03 AM »

Definitely DQVIII and Final Fantasy X!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
I'm planning on picking up the Logitech wireless controller later this week.  I have their X-Box wireless controller and love it, and the regular PS2 controller feels too light.

I absolutely LOVE the Logitech PS2 controller.  Best PS2 purchase I've made.  I like the Xbox one, but the PS2 one is even better.

Wish I could justify a new slimline PS2.  They look amazing.  I need one in my bedroom.  Still hard for me to justify buying another console I already own with all these games out there to buy.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 02:52:01 AM »

Yes, the Logitech PS2 controller is amazing (for the record I intensely dislike the Logitch Xbox wireless controller).  In fact, I think the Logitech PS2 is every bit as good as the X360 controller with the obvious exception of lacking an on/off switch for the console.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »

Is it possible to get a PS2 controller that doesn't have the left analog stick on the bottom of the controller? I can't stand that setup! It's very uncomfortable. I much prefer the Gamecube/X-Box positioning of the left analog stick.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 08:02:05 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Thanks for all the suggestions.  That's the nice thing about picking up an older console-  there's no lack of games, just a lack of time to play said games.

I did exactly the same thing you did 5 months ago and I'm still blown away by the PS2.  I can just stroll down to any gamestop, throw down 12 bucks and walk away with 2 A+ titles.  My last two were Metal Gear Solid 2 and Beyond Good and Evil.  I haven't even finished most of my games because I've got so many damn good ones I keep bouncing between them.

Shadow Hearts is a heck of a lot of fun.  It has a great atmosphere and the writers make portions of the game hilarious.  A great break from FFX's  constant drama with awkward romance tossed in at every other scene.

Oh, and you're legally bound to get Devil May Cry (1 or 3, and only buy 3 if its the "special edition" or the difficulty will make you cry).  You play as a lightning-fast sword wielding devil-ninja packing black magic and dual pistols in his fight against some sort of evil foe that may be your mother or your brother or your father or uh.... (the plot is not the strong point).  Its frantic, gory, and you you get points for how stylishly you dispatch your foes.  The game is so cool it will freeze your fingers.  It also costs next to nothing used.  Go get it for when you just can't take any more RPGs.

Oh, and get a Ratchett and Clank too.  And Final Fantasy 10 for the pretty pretty graphics. And Prince of Persia: Sands fo Time.  And Beyond Good and Evil.  And Silent Hill 2, and....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: