http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:49:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I bought a Wii U  (Read 802 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »

Total impulse buy. Newegg is selling the Skylanders Swapforce bundle + Disney Infinity starter pack for $220. After I sell off the pack-ins it will be quite a nice deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291091367984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Now that I have every modern console and handheld plus a PC who knows when I will use it. I figure it will go well with Gamefly. At least I'll be able to play Lego City and also put away the Wii.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »

I really enjoy the system.  It's too bad it's basically failing.  The first party Nintendo games have largely been excellent and some third party ones like Lego City, ZombiU, and Wonderful 101 have been great as well.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »

Wow, that's a great deal. I may bite...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »

I don't remember if I ever did the complete write up I was intending, but the Wind Waker HD remake on Wii U is absolutely stellar.  I'd call it a system seller, but that would imply that New Super Mario Brothers U,  Super Mario 3D World, and Pikmin 3 aren't just as great.

Assuming the next Smash Bros. and original Zelda games maintain this same degree of quality, I think this is great time to pick up a Wii U!  Especially for that kind of deal!

-Autistic Angel
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

I still secretly want a WiiU. 'Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze' looks like a lot of fun.. so will the new 'Mario Kart'. But... no new Zelda or Metroid? No WiiU. How many development teams does Nintendo actually have? Why does it take them so long to develop games? Are they operating out of a garage in a backstreet in Akihabara?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:14:01 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 06:50:40 PM »

The WiiU has certainly taken its time to get going but right now it has a WAAAY better selection of exclusives than the XB1 or PS4.  Given that most games coming out in the next couple months are also hitting on PC I donít see that changing anytime soon either.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:44:33 PM »

I've been disappointed with the new Donkey Kong, honestly.  It's a little too samey and a little too gimmicky, I think.  Whatever the reason, it's just not clicking with me.

OTOH, all the games that AA mentioned are really top notch.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 02:52:04 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 05, 2014, 06:50:40 PM

The WiiU has certainly taken its time to get going but right now it has a WAAAY better selection of exclusives than the XB1 or PS4.  Given that most games coming out in the next couple months are also hitting on PC I donít see that changing anytime soon either.

The problem is that third-party support for the WiiU is all but dead.  The current library, the upcoming first-party games, plus a few other announced games (like X and Bayonetta 2) are pretty much all the Wii U will ever have.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:24 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 06, 2014, 02:52:04 AM

The WiiU has certainly taken its time to get going but right now it has a WAAAY better selection of exclusives than the XB1 or PS4.  Given that most games coming out in the next couple months are also hitting on PC I donít see that changing anytime soon either.

The problem is that third-party support for the WiiU is all but dead.  The current library, the upcoming first-party games, plus a few other announced games (like X and Bayonetta 2) are pretty much all the Wii U will ever have.
Itís true but less dire than that sounds on the surface.  Games that are not designed from the ground up for the WiiU were never going to sell well in the first place.  Ports from the XB1 or PS4 are just a bad idea.  If given the option of a graphically superior version or inferior port, people will always choose the better looking (baring any other version problems).  Itís no different from me buying every game I can on PC because I know it will be superior to the console versions. That pretty much leaves exclusives, which are rare now days, regardless of which console they are for.

Just curious here, can anyone name 5 PS4 or 5 XB1 exclusives that will be out this year?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 03:14:07 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 06, 2014, 02:52:04 AM

The problem is that third-party support for the WiiU is all but dead.  The current library, the upcoming first-party games, plus a few other announced games (like X and Bayonetta 2) are pretty much all the Wii U will ever have.

well I never bought it for 3rd party games, and to be honest there will be a lot more than what has been announced so far, they aren't abandoning the system, it will probably get 4 or so years of support, new system probably 2017 or so, combined software platform for Handheld and Home console etc. Kind of shortsighted comment from you. Not saying they will have a ton of games, but expect Nintendo to put out enough to make the system a good Nintendo box.

I have been pretty happy with the Wii U so far, but I was never expecting too much. The games that use the gamepad well, like Deus Ex, ZombiU, Rayman and Splinter Cell show that there is a lot of value in the idea, it's just that it's near impossible to ask devs make exclusive games in this business environment without bags of cash.

On top of all that, I have really enjoyed the Indie selection so far and a lot more games are coming to the eshop, Nintendo was smart in giving out WiiU dev kits and free Unity Licenses to indies.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »

Heh, I picked one up too last week specifically for Tropical Freeze. Daughter has been hogging it tho playing the crap out of Mario Cart...  mad
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »

My family plays the Wii U way more than anything else (360/PS3/PS4).  I bought it during the holidays.  I've also played it more than I have my PS4, mainly because of the games.

Here's a rundown of the games that have been getting a lot of playtime by my family:
- Super Mario 3d World (awesome game...so good)
- Rayman Legends (another awesome platformer...pure fun)
- Lego City (my 9 year old completed it.  open world GTA but with legos)
- Donkey Kong: TF (another really good platformer...great music)
- Wonderful 101 (very cool game...surprisingly challenging)

It's been well worth the money.  I think it's the best family console at the moment (especially if you have younger kids like I do) 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 07, 2014, 03:44:43 PM

My family plays the Wii U way more than anything else (360/PS3/PS4).  I bought it during the holidays.  I've also played it more than I have my PS4, mainly because of the games.

Here's a rundown of the games that have been getting a lot of playtime by my family:
- Super Mario 3d World (awesome game...so good)
- Rayman Legends (another awesome platformer...pure fun)
- Donkey Kong: TF (another really good platformer...great music)
- Wonderful 101 (very cool game...surprisingly challenging)

It's been well worth the money.  I think it's the best family console at the moment (especially if you have younger kids like I do) 
were it not for the fact my wife would kill me for buying another console so soon, I'd love to get this system just for these games for my son.  as it stands, he's happy with the PS4, Lego Marvel and Skylanders.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 07, 2014, 06:36:20 PM

It isn't quite as good but Lego Marvel Superheroes has scratched that same itch since we finished Lego City.  So when you have finished Undercover you should look into it.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »

I bought a Wii U for myself so I could play LEGO City Undercover.  And it was worth it even before these other great games came out.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »

Nintendo is selling the Wii U (refurbished) deluxe for $200 on their website. I'm still not biting until they put out a good Zelda and/or Metroid.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:41:39 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 06:32:23 AM »

Quote from: JCC on March 07, 2014, 09:44:34 PM

Nintendo is selling the Wii U deluxe for $200 on their website. I'm still not biting until they put out a good Zelda and/or Metroid.

It's refurbished, before anyone gets they're hopes too high.

I keep going back and forth on the Wii U. I want to player Super Mario 3D World, but I can't shake this feeling that Nintendo is going to abandon the system and move all current projects onto the next console.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:35:07 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 06:48:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 07, 2014, 08:46:56 PM

I bought a Wii U for myself so I could play LEGO City Undercover.  And it was worth it even before these other great games came out.  smile
I agree, it's a great game.  The writing and voice acting are worth it alone. 

Tonight I finished all of the main paintings in Rayman Legends with help from my 6 and 4 year olds.  Replaying all of the music levels in 8-bit mode was really challenging for us, but awesome.  The 3 of us also finished Super Mario 3d World together last month.  Between both games it's been some of most fun I've had gaming.  If you're on the fence about getting a Wii U, or are worried about the future of the console, I would just say that if you enjoy pure gaming fun, it's worth it.  There are really good exclusives for it that remind me of why I fell in love with gaming 30+ years ago.  The cool thing is that I get to experience it now with my kids. 

It's a good complimentary console to go along with a PS4/Xbox One.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 08, 2014, 06:32:23 AM

Quote from: JCC on March 07, 2014, 09:44:34 PM

Nintendo is selling the Wii U deluxe for $200 on their website. I'm still not biting until they put out a good Zelda and/or Metroid.

Damnit! I apologize. I knew perfectly well it was refurbished, but I tend to leave out words when I post on my iPad since I get so impatient using the on screen keyboard. I have edited my post.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 01:30:49 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 07, 2014, 07:43:26 PM

It isn't quite as good but Lego Marvel Superheroes has scratched that same itch since we finished Lego City.  So when you have finished Undercover you should look into it.

I agree, but I think Lego City leagues better than Lego Marvel. The only thing Lego Marvel does better is the co-op. City Underground has a better story, better more coherent world, better writing, and more varied missions. It is shame that they couldn't go back to that well for both Lego Marvel and Lego Movie, both of those feel cashed in compared to Lego City. I would love for Nintendo to fund another Lego Unique game like Undercover.

Quote from: Ridah

I keep going back and forth on the Wii U. I want to player Super Mario 3D World, but I can't shake this feeling that Nintendo is going to abandon the system and move all current projects onto the next console.

I can't make you feel any better, but look at it this way, they have only ever abandoned one system, ever, Virtual Boy, this is no Virtual Boy, and Iwata said that they are doubling down on WiiU software. Like I said above, I fully expect them to support the system until the end of 2016, and then move to the new unified software platform.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 02:54:28 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 11, 2014, 01:30:49 AM

Quote from: farley2k on March 07, 2014, 07:43:26 PM

It isn't quite as good but Lego Marvel Superheroes has scratched that same itch since we finished Lego City.  So when you have finished Undercover you should look into it.

I agree, but I think Lego City leagues better than Lego Marvel. The only thing Lego Marvel does better is the co-op. City Underground has a better story, better more coherent world, better writing, and more varied missions. It is shame that they couldn't go back to that well for both Lego Marvel and Lego Movie, both of those feel cashed in compared to Lego City. I would love for Nintendo to fund another Lego Unique game like Undercover.

I was sure to mention that LCU was the reason I bought a Wii U when I filled out their post-purchase registration questionnaire.  I doubt it has any effect, but a small part of me hopes enough people say that to drive them to fund another game like it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 03:00:41 AM »

If you have a local group of friends, or people over often, you need to get Nintendo Land.

Most of the minigames are meh, but Mario Chase, Sweet Day, and Ghost Hunt are designed for the Wii U pad so perfectly they make the whole package worth it.

All my friends, even grown burly men, love these minigames.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »

I've played more of Donkey Kong Country:TF over the past week.  Great music and excellent graphics. It's not an easy platformer.  I think it's harder than Rayman and Super Mario 3d World...which isn't a bad thing.     

My family is really looking forward to Mario Kart 8.  We played a ton of Sonic Transformed on the 360, which I anticipate will be the same for MK8.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 04:44:38 AM »

Does anyone here Monster Hunt? I was playing with my Brother for a bit but then he got snowed in for a week and literally dropped like 7 straight days non stop into it and is vastly past where I am, HR 2. If anyone wants to pick up Monster Hunter, which can be daunting, I am down for getting together and playing online.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 07:33:27 AM »

I hunt monsters! My schedule is pretty open these days, so if you want to set a date and time to play I should be able to make it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: